Congratulations

Congratulations

 

It rained that night. The calm melancholic sounds of the rain brought back all the memories. The girl could only close her eyes and picture it all.

 

***

It was difficult for the two to ever be serious around each other. They were two people who didn’t want to waste their youth stressing about things that didn’t matter because all that really mattered to the two were each other.

 

“Come back here!” he laughed chasing after the girl.

She giggled, “No way, Woohyun! You have to come and get me!”

After several moments, he caught her waist and whispered into her ear, “Gotcha!”

 

They spent almost every single second together. Sharing all their happy moments with each other. She couldn’t remember a single happy moment without him, and she really didn’t want to.

 

The two were looking up at the beautiful night sky. Woohyun said, “Moments like this are what I live for.”

She replied, “It’s nice. Gives me time to think.”

“Think about what?”

“Everything. The future, the past and the present.”

“Well, as long as we have each other, we’ll be fine. Right?”

 

They’d known each other since they were born. It was always the two of them. She understood him more than anyone. All of his mannerisms were so familiar. She could tell when he was nervous, when he was sad, and when he was happiest.

 

He was pacing back and forth. She interrupted his worrisome self and said, “Woohyun, it’s okay. You’ll do fine. You always do.”

“I can’t help but get nervous.”

“You don’t need to. Your performance will be perfect.”

“But what if something that I can’t control happens? My voice my cracks or my throat becomes dry.”

“If your voice cracks, you’ll be able to overcome it with the next verse. And you’ve drunk enough water. I’m surprised you haven’t exploded yet.” 

He sat down next to her and sighed, “You’re right. Thank you. I really don’t know what I’d do without you.”

 

Despite their many stupid arguments disagreements, there was nothing that could ever actually break them up. They’d realize how foolish they were and would soon be laughing at themselves the next moment.

 

“You’re seriously being so dumb right now!” she fought.

“As if you’re one to talk. You’re just ignoring the whole situation!” he retorted.

She walked away in anger. He sighed and rubbed the nape of his neck and said, “Look, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to bring it up… this whole thing is stupid.”

Her shoulders dropped. Her anger ceased, but she couldn’t back down. The boy knew she wasn’t going to give in, so he decided to sing, “Sorry, sorry. I’m very sorry. If you don’t forgive me, I just might end up crying~”

She looked at his face, and he was showing some major aeygo. Her face cracked a smile and she said, “You’re lucky I stink at holding grudges.”

 

There were so many moments she wished she could be more in his eyes. Just once he would show a bit of jealousy or something… just so she’d know she was important to him.

 

“I was confessed to by Jaesung today…” she admitted.

“Oh, did he really?” He questioned.

“Yeah, he did. But I--. Please tell me to say no.” she begged.

“W-why do you ask that? He seems like your type.”

“Just… please.”

“It’s not my choice to decide that.”

 

If there was anything she ever wanted, it was for him to be happy. She didn’t need to worry about herself because as long as he was with her, she would be happy. He was her sun whether he realized it or not. And although she meant so much to him, she never knew if he treasured her as much as she.

 

“This girl… She’s amazing. Right when I saw her, I knew she was the one for me.” He smiled brightly.

“Well, if she’s the one, you have to go for her! You may not ever have a chance like this again.” She feigned a smile.

If only he knew, how much she truly wished she was the one for him.

 

***

The next day, she opened her eyes. Today was the day. Because of all the things she reminisced, she didn’t end up sleeping until late, and by the time she woke up it was 3PM. She got out of the bed and looked out the window. It was dark and grey. Even the weather matched her mood.

 

She put on her dress, makeup, and shoes and headed out the door. As she walked out of the building, she checked her phone. Several missed calls and texts messages from Woohyun wondering when she was coming. She dialed his number and waited for him to pick up. When he answered, he asked, “What have you been doing? I’ve been trying to reach you for the longest time!”

 

She answered, “Sorry, I slept late last night and woke up late. Don’t worry.  I’ll be in the hall in awhile. Don’t worry! Fifteen minutes, I swear!”

 

“I’m starting the countdown now! And if you’re not here in fifteen minutes, I’m seriously going to be mad!”

 

She laughed, “Yeah, yeah!”

 

She ended the call, and her emotionless face immediately returned to her face. Like she promised she made it to the hall in fifteen minutes. Woohyun was outside and greeted her. She hugged him and asked, “You better not be getting cold feet, Nam Woohyun!”

 

“I’m not getting cold feet, I swear! I’m just a huge mess right now! What if I do--.”

 

She reassured him, “You won’t do the wrong thing. You’ve gone over this millions of times. You would have to try to mess this thing up.”

 

He smiled at her and said, “Like usual, you come to the rescue. Thank you. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

 

“I have no idea what you’d do without me either!”

 

The two were silent until she was able to muster a couple words, “Congratulations today for your wedding. You two will be happy together.