Rekindling Old Flames

Rekindling Old Flames

“Hayyyy~ this is great!” Yunho laid a hand on his full stomach after coming back from the bathroom, wearing pyjamas.

“You’re absolutely right, hyung!” Changmin seconded. “How come Yeonhee could cook those delicious foods? Much as I want to eat more, I think my stomach will already explode from the food we ate.” A crumpled tissue came flying on his face. It was Jaejoong. “You’re such a glutton.” He said.

“But he got a point there, hyung.” Yoochun interrupted. “I have never eaten this much since we had our comeback. Right, Junsu?” he wrapped an arm around the shoulder of the man beside him. “Ya, why do you look so gloomy? Your face looks just like when you loses on a bet in a soccer game.” He joked.

Yeonhee nodded. “Yoochun’s right, Junsu oppa. You’ve been silent since you came here.”

“It feels weird, huh. How can this kid with the squeaky laugh be silent all of a sudden? Why, didn’t you enjoy the food?” Riin also commented.

“Oy, don’t call me a kid. I’m your oppa.” It was the first time Junsu spoke. “I’m just not feeling so well.”

Yoochun nudged him. “Why, do you feel uneasy because she is just in the same house as you are in now, and the two of you are breathing the same air... again?”

 

All of a sudden they started to tease Junsu, laughing and pushing him.

“Ah, that’s right! Shall we call her down? We could all play a game before sleeping, right, hyung?” Yoochun asked Jaejoong. “Stop all those teasing, kids. Let’s just sleep. We should get some rest.”

“It’s been a while since we got this kind of vacation, we should grab the chance to get lots of sleep.” Yunho agreed to Jaejoong. “Anyway, Yeonhee, thanks for letting us have an overnight stay here. Your place is really nice.” He looked around the house. “You should thank Heebon unni, not me. You guys are lucky I was able to convince her about your sleepover.” Yeonhee replied.

 

Upon hearing that name, Junsu stood up. “Thanks again for the meal and the overnight stay, Yeonhee.” He forced a smile. “Anyway, where is our room again, Yoochun-ah?” he turned to him.

“Oh, it’s there.” Yeonhee pointed upstairs, to the direction of the room. “Second door when you turn right.” She secretly winked at Yoochun and Changmin.

Yunho opposed her. “But isn’t that—“

“Ah, that’s right. Second door to the right.” Changmin immediately understood what Yeonhee’s wink was for and agreed, cutting off what Yunho has to say.

Yoochun knew the drill and got it right away. “Yeah, they’re right.” He told Junsu, secretly stepping on Yunho’s right foot. “Aw!” Yunho shrieked. Jaejoong turned to the two. “What happened, Yunho?”

“Oh, nothing, an ant has bitten me.” And he glared at Yoochun who pretended not to know anything.

“I’m going up.” Junsu timidly said, walking towards the stairs. “Let’s go together! I wanna sleep already~” Yoochun ran after him and they went together.

 

“Yeonhee-yah!” Changmin called to her. “Yeah?” Yeonhee responded. Changmin gestured a high-five.

“Wait, is there something I don’t know? What’s going on?” Yunho asked the three other people on the living room.

Jaejoong did not speak but instead let out a small laugh of amusement. “Hyung, we have set a little ploy for Junsu hyung and her. I hope it works all right.” Changmin answered his question. After a while Yunho was already able to understand what was happening.

 

“Junsu-yah, you go first inside, I forgot something downstairs.” Meanwhile, Yoochun talked to Junsu, who was still quiet. Junsu nodded and turned the door knob and entered the room. Yoochun waited for him to enter the room. When the door closed, Yoochun then clicked the knob, locking Junsu inside the room.

 

***

I can teach you but I have to charge

Say you want me babe Xiahtic

Neol gajyeosseo~

 

Heebon sang and danced along to the song on loud speakers while combing her hair in front of the mirror. She heard the door open and clicked closed. She turned around to see who entered the room.

Much to her surprise, it was Junsu who just came in. She jumped in surprise on her seat, dropping her comb. She reached for the music player and immediately turned it off. “W-Why are you here?”

Junsu, on the other hand, was also surprised upon seeing the other person inside the room. “Huh? Oh, um... I... I have m-mistaken this as my room.” he was stuttering. “I-I’ll come out now.” And he ran to the door and turned the knob. But it won’t open. He tried turning it again, this time the opposite direction. But it did not work, the door won’t move.

Heebon stood up and hesitantly spoke. “Um, somebody may have locked the door from outside.” She said in instant panic. She walked over and also tried to open the knob. No matter how many times they pushed and pulled the knob, the door just won’t open. “The lock is outside. Ah, what should we do?”

Junsu knocked. “Yoochun-ah. Open the door.” He said and knocked again, this time much louder. “Changmin. Yunho? Jaejoong! Yeonhee, Riin! Please open the door!” Heebon knocked as well.

After Junsu’s hands got sore, he gave up and walked towards the chair. “It’s no use. They planned this.”

Heebon turned around and looked at him, confused. “Planned what?”

“Don’t say you don’t know, Heebon.” He smirked for the first time, and changed the topic. “So...” he crossed his arms and looked intently at her. “You know my song, huh.”

“Eh? W-What song?” Heebon said, but inside she already knows what he was talking about.

Say you want me babe Xiahtic~ That’s my song, right?”

Heebon disconnected the gaze between them. “Oh... Was it your song? I never knew.” She walked to sit on the bed. She heard Junsu chuckle. That chuckle he missed hearing. “How can you not know? It’s been a hit, it topped the music charts, and most of all, the song has my name on it. How could you not know it?” he said.

“I never knew that it was your... name! And... It’s because the voice of the guy singing in that song is so beautiful! It’s so different from your... crappy voice.” She smirked back at him, erasing the smirk from his face. “So my voice is crappy, huh? Tch.” He rolled his eyes.

 

Here goes our childish bickering again.Heebon thought to herself and rolled her eyes, mimicking Junsu.

 

Oh my God, sun! A voice started to echo on the room.

Oh my God, sun! Oh my God, sun!The voice repeated. The two of them blankly looked at each other, wondering where the sound came from.

Oh my God, sun!

 

That was when Heebon realized that her phone was ringing. She ran to her table, ran back to the bed, and answered the call. “Yeoboseyo?” she looked at the phone, it was a missed call from Riin. “Aigoo, that punk knows about my ringtone...” she bit her lips from embarrassment and turned her phone on a silent mode.

Junsu laughed again, this time louder, because of amusement towards her, his eu-kyang-kyang laugh echoed on the four walls of the room. “You are still my biggest fan, it seems.”

 

Heebon couldn’t think of anything to say. He stood up, walking towards the bed, and sat there, beside her. Heebon squirmed. It was awkward for the two of them.

 

***

“So... You know my song, huh.” Junsu’s voice could be heard from outside. Yoochun and Changmin had their ears near the door, listening to the conversation of the two inside.

“Psst.” Yeonhee snapped both Changmin and Yoochun’s free ears. “Ack!” both cried out. “Shh!” Riin put her forefinger on her lips, signalling for the two to lower their voice. She was also eavesdropping. “Yeonhee-yah, that hurts!” Changmin whispered. Yunho and Jaejoong came over to know what’s going on. They also put their ears near to the door to listen to Junsu and Heebon who were still stuck inside the room.

Riin took out her phone from her pocket and dialled Heebon’s number. She clearly knows that Heebon’s ringtone, his ‘Oh my God, sun!’ expression, has never changed ever since that line became famous.

“Oh my God, sun! Oh my God, sun!” the tone rang all over.

Yunho, Jaejoong, Yeonhee, Changmin, and Yoochun turned their heads to Riin and showed a thumbs-up sign. Riin laughed from their child-like behaviour. She walked away, knowing one thing for sure. “Tonight, two people will start rekindling old flames.” She said to herself and entered her room.

 

***

[Junsu’s POV]

I don’t know how long I have been staring at her, but I don’t think I will detach my gaze from her any minute from now. I missed that face. How I love seeing those eyes which smiled at me every time she laughs. How I love seeing her nose which scrunches up every time I pinch it. And most especially, I love seeing her lips which always makes me want to kiss her every time.

How I missed her presence beside me.

 

I cleared my throat just to lessen the air of awkwardness between us. Aigoo, this is my fault, babo. Why did I seat beside her in the first place?

“Uhurm… Heebon-ah—“ I said, but was immediately interrupted by her.

“It’s Heebon-noona.” She said.

“I’m sorry.” I said like I didn’t hear her speak. What was I sorry for? I don’t know. For myself, maybe. For everything.

“We still have one more chance, right?” what I just said sounded more like a pleading than a mere question.

[End of Junsu’s POV]

 

He slowly raised his hands to her chin, turning it to his direction, making her face him. Heebon shifted her gaze down to avoid his stare. She might give in easily if she did otherwise.

Junsu stared at her for a good couple of minutes, just looking at her face as if memorizing every detail. Heebon did nothing to get rid of it. After a little while he let go and sighed. “I knew it. You’re not going to forgive me.”

“Will you keep that promise?” Heebon uttered. Junsu looked at him again, this time his eyes are filled with puzzlement. “P-Promise?” he repeated.

 

[Heebon’s POV]

I hesitated to continue, thinking that he might laugh at me for still holding on to that. It has been seven years. We were so young back then. But still, for me, those were seven years of waiting, hoping that one day he would come up to me and tell me that he’s still willing to live up to that promise.

“Are you still willing to keep that promise you told me seven years ago?” However, I gave in and did not listen to my second thoughts. He looked surprised at what I said. Maybe he already forgot that—

“Now that I think of it,” he said, “I actually don’t know if it’s me or you who broke that promise.” There was a hint of bitterness in his voice. Or was I only imagining?

I don’t know how to respond to that. A couple of minutes ago he was all sweet to me, now he sounded bitter. He still hasn’t changed; he’s still the guy who changes his emotions in a split second. I suddenly regretted asking him that question. I think I should be the one sorry. But what can I do? I’m still hoping. Heebon, you’re really a fool to still expect of such things.

[End of Heebon’s POV]

 

“I… You…” Heebon stuttered. “I’m already sleepy.” It was an obvious alibi.

“Do you think I still give a damn on who broke the promise?” Junsu angrily hissed. “All these years, Heebon, for God’s sake! Seven years, all those years, there hadn’t been a single moment when I blamed you. Whoever broke it, who cares? Even if you did not keep it, all I care for is for you to come back to me.” His tone lowered, calming himself. “Look. Don’t you still get it? Whether it’s you or I who broke it, I’m still willing, and, I tell you, I’m very willing, to keep that promise… from now on.”

Heebon was surprised. She didn’t see it coming. She never expected what he said.

“Junsu-yah…”

He turned to her, and took her hands. “I’ve been a fool and left you seven years ago. I wanted to prove myself worthy of you, so I waited and worked hard so you could be proud of me after I become successful in TVXQ.”

Heebon’s eyes were already welling up. “But why only now?”

“I’m sorry.” He bit his lips to prevent his tears from falling. “The man in front of you was once a coward. He didn’t have the courage to return back to you and tell, ‘I must keep that promise whatever it takes’. That man is very sorry.” He repeated, the tears cascaded down his cheeks.

“Kim Junsu.” Those were only what came out from her. They were already both crying.

His grip of her hands tightened. “From now on, in front of Park Heebon, I, Kim Junsu, swear to hold on to this woman in front of me. I will not leave her, unless she wishes for me to do so.”

Those were the exact words they told each other seven years ago.

In between sobs, Heebon struggled to speak. “From now on, in front of Kim Junsu, I, Park Heebon, swear to hold on to this man in front of me. I will not leave him, unless he wishes for me to do so.”

They hugged each other. Both of them needed no more explanation. That enlivened promise was already enough for them to understand what’s inside their hearts.