-

This Too Shall Pass

 

There was something very special about this pair of friends. Incompatible as they may look, however dysfunctional their relationship appeared, they remained the best of friends. They were as different as the sky and the earth, with so little similarities one can count with only a hand. People reasoned that opposites attract, but not when it lasts this long. Their relationship was one-of-a-kind, special.

 

D.O. was an aspiring chef majoring in Western cuisine. He was a rather normal student, almost boring, with little interest other than perfecting his already superior culinary skills. He was even allowed full access to the school’s kitchens aside from classes, he was that good at it. Yet what they didn’t know, his cooking wasn't always edible, it took one failed experiment after another and the poor torturing of the only guinea pig he can find, himself. 

 

Kai was known throughout not by the stage name he gave himself, or his real name Jongin, but rather “second best”. The name was not meant to insult nor ridicule him, it was just a statement of the truth. He was second best to his fellow classmate Taemin, both majoring in modern dance. While no one could pass his sweat and blood he put into dancing throughout the years as nothing, it was hardly as impressive as a dance prodigy, someone born to dance.

 

It was times like this these two friends met. Their destination was always the school’ kitchens, or the empty dance studios, where they were ensured complete privacy. The pattern was simple and never confusing. Whoever who had it harder, would be in their elements, their respective area of trauma. Today, it was Kai. D.O. hurriedly dumped the new sauce he was experimenting with, as soon as he saw the text from his friend.

 

Dodging the curious looks from the other students, he stepped into the unfamiliar territory and easily found Kai. He was lying on the wooden floor, breathing heavily and exhaustion radiating from every inch of his skin. He didn’t look up when D.O. entered, merely calling affectionately, “Kyungsoo-ah?” Kyungsoo, that was his real name. He adopted the nickname D.O. shortly after Kai announced his, due to his relentless nagging.

 

D.O. laid down gingerly beside him. He looked straight at the ceiling, following Kai’s line of sight, but he knew they weren’t looking at the same thing, not really. He didn’t ask if he was fine, or what was his problem, because he knew, like himself, Kai’s problems were mere histories repeating themselves. Occasionally, when they didn’t look out for themselves carefully enough, insecurities caught up to them and kept them imprisoned in their own misery.

 

They were both so young. D.O. considered them young still, despite their ages. They were no more than babies, who had nothing on this competitive, selfish world. Thrown into the society, they were expected not only to take care of themselves but excel at whatever they do. It was the only way they could gain respect, recognition and love. It was the rules of the world: If you’re not first, you’re last. After all, everyone knows the first man on the moon, but the second? The third?

 

“He was casted for the individual performance, naturally,” Kai finally spoke, in a strictly monotone manner. Cold, seemingly emotionless. “My parents were coming to watch, they were going to decide if they were going to let me continue. But do you think they will be impressed with a son who could only dance in the background, who was forced into sharing the stage with others?” His voice broke a little at the end, as he tried to force his tears in.

 

D.O. empathized with him. They had different set of troubles, but trouble nevertheless. They were so young, yet so uncertain and despairing. The future seemed bleak, a dark mirage. He could only offer comfort to his friend. Words that hold no truth perhaps, but they all needed some hope. “Don’t worry, Jongin. This will pass. I can’t promise anything, but I believe that one day, we will find the happiness we’re searching for.” He vehemently hoped this was the case. 

 

 


I wrote this in less than a hour, it's not that good ;A; Requested by @kyungsooaddict, I hope you still like it! ^^