The Silver Phantom

When Fate Comes In Between

 

“I SAID PUT YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEAD!”

 

 

 

My heart automatically sank when I heard Myungsoo’s voice. I could tell that he’s right behind me. I could tell that he’s preparing his gun as he waits for the Silver Phantom to reveal herself.

 

 

“Sungyeol-sshi,” I muttered as I lifted my hands up and placed them behind my head. “Thank you. I hope you’ll be able to stop Kwangsoo.”

 

 

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. Then with slow steps, I turned around and revealed myself.

 

When I opened my eyes, the first thing I saw was the bewildered look on Myungsoo’s face. I locked eyes with him for a moment. During that span of time, it felt as if time stopped. The whole place suddenly turned quiet, as if there’s no one else around but me and him.

 

The look of bewilderment suddenly turned into a look of pain and torment. At that instant, I wished I had the power to read minds. I wanted to know what he was thinking of. Was he sad? Angry? Disappointed?

 

 

“Jiyeon-ah…”

 

 

Even though the distance between us was quite far, I still managed to hear him utter my name. I wanted to walk towards him but I don’t think I have the right to go near him anymore.

 

Right now, in front of Myungsoo, I’m a criminal.

 

 

“Jiyeon-sshi,” I heard Sungyeol whisper. He’s still right behind me.

 

“It’s okay, Sungyeol-sshi. Don’t mind about me. Please go and-”

 

 

When I accidentally looked up, my attention was caught by some movement going around at the second floor. I squinted my eyes and gasped as soon as I recognized that familiar silhoutte.

 

 

“Kim Kwangsoo, that bastard.” I cursed his name under my breath.

 

 

All of a sudden, he took out an assault rifle and positioned it towards our direction. My mind panicked as I looked behind to glance at Sungyeol.

 

 

“Run!”

 

 

Sungyeol was startled when I suddenly screamed. “What?”

 

“Just run away from here, Sungyeol-sshi!”

 

 

 

“WHAT’S GOING ON IN THERE?!”

 

“WE TOLD YOU NOT TO MOVE!”

 

 

 

I ignored the cops and continued to shout at Sungyeol. “Get away from here, now!”

 

When Sungyeol finally decided to obey, I turned back to look at Kwangsoo’s direction. When I finally realized where he’s really aiming the rifle, I froze.

 

 

He’s aiming for Myungsoo.

 

 

 

“N-No…”

 

 

I looked at Myungsoo and he looked back with a distressed and confused face. Images began popping inside my mind. Images of Myungsoo being shot. Images of him lying on the ground, lifeless.

 

I’d never let that happen.

 

 

“Myungsoo,” I suddenly placed my hands down, making the cops panic. All of them positioned their guns and pointed them at me, except for Myungsoo.

 

 

“PUT YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEAD OR ELSE WE’LL SHOOT!”

 

 

As if not hearing anything, I bent down and took out the revolver which I hid on my boot.

 

 

With tears trickling down my face, I looked at Myungsoo and smiled. “I’m sorry, Myungsoo-ah.”

 

 

When I pulled the trigger of my revolver, the cops immediately showered bullets towards my direction. Despite getting hit, I still stood and went on to fire three shots towards Kwangsoo’s direction.

 

 

One…

 

Two…

 

Three…

 

 

With my third and last bullet, Kwangsoo’s body finally dropped from the second floor and into the ground, causing everyone in the room to turn. They were all perplexed at the sudden turn of events. No one knew what to do.

 

 

 

“JIYEON-AH!!!”

 

 

After hearing Myungsoo shout out my name, I finally allowed my body to fall to the ground.

 

I was suddenly wrapped in the embrace of a pair of warm and gentle hands. I opened my eyes and saw Myungsoo crying. I attempted to reach out for his face using my blood-stained hands, but I stopped halfway.

 

 

“Are you…mad at me…Kim Myungsoo?”

 

He shook his head as he took my hand and rubbed it against his face. “I could never be mad at you,”

 

“That’s…good to hear,” I said with a smile. “I tried to…I tried to change my fate. But it turns out that…it’s inevitable. It was meant to end like this…”

 

“Jiyeon-ah…” I felt the warmth brought about by Myungsoo’s tears as they continued to drop on my cheek.

 

 

“Thank you for loving me, Kim Myungsoo.”

 

 

--

 

 

Yah, Park Jiyeon. Where are you?

When I woke up this morning, you were already gone.

 

I’m sorry, Myungsoo-ah.

There’s something I must do.

 

 

 

“How many days has it been?”

 

“Today’s the 40th. I plan to pay her a visit later,”

 

Sungyeol patted my back. “Want some company?”

 

“Thanks, but I think I’ll go alone.”

 

 

 

Jiyeon-ah, I know that we had an argument last night, but I hope that you didn’t take it to heart.

Please text back. Please tell me that you’re alright.

 

It’s not about that at all.

Actually, there’s something you need to know.

 

 

 

“These flowers are beautiful,”

 

“Yes. 800 won,”

 

“Eh, ahjumma, please sell them to me for 600 won.”

 

“Aigoo, but that’s-“

 

“It’s for my girlfriend,”

 

The old lady sighed as she finally gave in. “Alright. 600 won it is.”

 

 

 

If you decide to come back home, I left the keys under the carpet.

I’ve been called to guard the hall for Sungyeol’s press conference. I’ll be back later tonight.

I hope to see you once I get back.

 

We’ll actually see each other today. Not at home, but at the hall.

I’m about to do something beyond my will, Myungsoo-ah.

Even though I'm afraid, I'm secretly hoping that you'd come and stop me.

 

 

 

When I finally arrived at my destination, I closed Jiyeon’s phone and placed it back on my pocket. With flowers in my hands, I got off the bus and started walking towards the hill.

 

After a few minutes of walking, I finally reached the place. The place where I laid Jiyeon to rest.

 

 

“Yah,” I began as I laid the flowers down her tomb. “I finally had the guts to check your phone today. It turns out that you didn’t send your replies to my text messages. You just saved them in your phone without sending them. Idiot,”

 

I squatted down and inhaled the fresh air which was blowing peacefully against my face. Afterwards, I took out a small box from my pocket and placed it beside the flowers.

 

 

“If I knew this would happen, I would have kneeled down in front of you and asked for your hand in marriage years ago. I guess I took things for granted,”

 

 

I smiled as I gently traced the letters of Jiyeon’s name using my fingers. “You should keep the ring. I can’t imagine myself giving it to any other woman, anyway. It was intended for you in the first place,”

 

 

With one last smile, I stood up and ironed my ruffled pants with my hands. “I’ll always love you, Park Jiyeon.”

 

 

 

 

Yes, we were separated by fate.

 

But someday, in another world, we’ll be together again.

 

 

 

--

 

 

A/N: Forgive me if I at angst! Sorry, it's my first time writing in this genre ;A;

Anyway, thanks a lot for reading~ Wish me luck in the contest ^o^