The Left

Tears of a Phoenix

 

‘The left,’ Youngjae interrupts suddenly, making everyone flinch. ‘He would take the left one.’ He begins walking down the path alone; not even stopping to make sure everyone is following him. You start walking towards the same direction as if you were in a trance. The feeling of anger and vengeance is still fresh in your mind.

Seung Hoon is slowly walking down the looming path, flinching at every crackle of dried leaves. ‘What’s wrong?’ you ask, trying to keep in your laughter. He mutters something under his breath and begins walking again. You give him a dirty look, hoping that he would melt under your angry rays of death and tell you the truth as he used to do; but he was avoiding eye-contact.

But now that you look closer, you realise he is flinching at contact of everything. His eyes at shut tightly and his hands seem tense. He is easily following Youngjae’s lead by gently holding onto Youngjae’s hood. What’s wrong with him?

You shrug off Seung Hoon’s problem and start walking ahead, eager to see if Jongup would somehow pop up in front of you. But for about an hour of walking, nothing showed up except for the same dried leaf track with rows and rows of trees on each side. The path went on and on.

With each step, you feel heavier. With each breath, you feel more tired. When the sun finally rises over the tops of the trees, everyone falls into a heap with mixed feelings of hunger, thirst and aching muscles. The worst affected was Seung Hoon. His face was pale and beads of sweat rolled down his face.

‘What’s wrong?’ you ask him again, putting more authority into your tone. ‘I have to go look for something. I’ll be back soon,’ he replies, flinching at the cracking of leaves as he takes a step back. You watch him slowly walk back down the path, still flinching.

An eerie silence falls upon the forest. Something is wrong. You could feel it in your bones. ‘Should we split up and go look for Seung Hoon?’ Everyone agrees, but fear grips your heart as you walk down the same path Seung Hoon took.

You keep walking straight but you can’t find an end to the path. End up turning left again through the rows of trees on the side but nothing was there except for another never ending path. You get the feeling that everyone is also in the same position you are in. Trapped; but not even held back by anything.

You keep walking in the path, walking forever. You are stuck in the forest. You can’t find a way out. You can’t find the others. You don’t know what to do.

The End.

Sorry, you can’t go on anymore. T_T You are stuck in the forest forever, looking for Seung Hoon. You have even turned into a myth. People say that when they are travelling in that very forest, they can hear crackles of leaves, the sound that echoes everywhere because you have walked around the forest over a hundred times looking for Seung Hoon. 

 

Click here to go to the beginning. 

Click here to go to where the paths divide. 

Click here to go to your last decision.