Hired | weishenme

Wordlust | Advertising + mini reviews

Can't believe we've found our third addition to our Wordlust staff so quickly! Meet Faye, aka weishenme.

Her answer:

I had unexpectedly bumped into you on my usual one-week trip to the supermarket. How long had it been since you moved overseas? One year? No, it had been nearly two years since we had broken up. It was when I had turned the corner of York Street and you suddenly appeared, literally smack bang right in my face. I had no time to prepare myself, so as our eyes met with recognition, I could only murmur a timid “hi” at you, hoping I wouldn’t have to talk to you for long and avoid the awkwardness.

You, who was still as striking as before with your sharp features and confident smile, had immediately broken into a grin before replying, “It’s been awhile hasn’t it?” You said this wistfully, your hands resting lazily on the bicycle handles you were holding onto. As we continued the courteous small talk, I couldn’t help but wonder, how it would have been like if you hadn’t gone abroad. Would we have still been together? I also had no idea why you were back here, wandering around in my neighborhood. It turned out that you had only gotten back last Friday and was on an errand for your mum, that was, to give my mum a box of tea leaves.

A ploy I suspected, by both our mums in attempt to get us back together. That would also explain why my mum was so persistent before, in hurrying me out the house just to buy groceries. Why did my mum have to be good friends with yours? “Where you off to now?” You asked as you adjusted your black shoulder bag. “I was just about to go to buy the groceries-“ But before I could finish, you incepted and said, “I’ll come with you then, help carry the groceries and stuff. I have to go to your house later to drop off the tea to your mum anyways.”

So as we began walking down the street together, you pushing your bicycle along and me beside you, it made me wonder. Because really, you didn’t have to. You could have easily given me the box of tea and went along on your way and let me go back on my way. But you didn’t. And that me realize something about what you had said before, that despite everything that happened, you still really wanted us to remain as friends. At the time, I didn’t understand you, and had thought you were just saying those words, just for the sake of saying them. But now I know. And that made all the difference.