Chapter 3

The Liar(s): Cognitive Dissonance [HIATUS]
 
“And who fecthed you from that hotel?” Go Ara, Yoona’s best friend, asked the other girl. They were currently in a restaurant, waiting for their orders to come.
 
“Soohyun-oppa did... I don’t know how he ended up there in the lobby. He said he had been waiting for few hours.” Yoona explained and it was clear that she was in disbelief. “I mean...”
 
“If he had known that you were in that hotel, why he would wait until you came out in the morning for he could just take you home the night before.” Ara finished what Yoona were going to say. “This is what you mean, right?”
 
Yoona nodded but there was still something that bothered her. Something that was more crucial than how her bodyguard was able to stalk her in the night when she met Luhan. She had been bothered ever since she woke up that exact morning and realized that Luhan was not there anymore. She was only left with a note and Luhan’s contact was there.
 
“I think he knew that you needed a tolerance that night. Which I’m so completely happy to know because you really need a tolerance from your father.” Ara continued but somehow she found out that Yoona was not really into this topic.
 
“Yoong... what’s wrong? You look so out of place...” Ara sounds worried and it managed to catch Yoona’s full attention.
 
Yoona faced Ara before revealing what she had been hiding. “Actually, I don’t really care about how Soohyun-oppa got to know where I was that night or why he didn’t stop me. What I care now is...” She paused. She tried to calm herself because there was this certain excitement coupled with doubt and worry everytime she thought about it. “The fact that I can’t bring myself to forget that guy to the point where it really frustrates me.” She sighed and covered her face with the palms of her hands.
 
Ara gave an emphatetic look.
 
“What is his name again?” Ara wanted to confirm.
 
“Luhan.” Yoona shortly answered. She was still covering her face. Not that she was ashamed or embarassed. She was just confused and lost.
 
Ara could feel that Yoona was really frustrated. Ara knew the best that Yoona was very used to being frustrated. Yoona was someone who would be easily stressed by things that she could not resolve. After all, Yoona grew up as a fragile girl. And while Yoona was really good at pretending to be a strong girl in front of anyone else, Ara was an exception. Yoona showed her weakest side only to her best friend. “Why can’t you forget this guy named Luhan?” Ara continued to probe.
 
Yoona did not directly answer that question. She made some efforts to think but she gave up. “I won’t be bothered if I know the answer.” She sighed. “I just can’t forget everyhting that I know about him.”
 
Ara nodded and delivered the next question she had actually prepared. “He left his number, didn’t he?”
 
“He did...” Yoona stared at Ara’s eyes, giving a why-are-you-asking-that look.
 
“Then maybe you should just contact him if you are really curious about him.”
 
“What?! I’m not that insane, Ara. I won’t do that! No! Never!” Yoona replied so quickly but Ara had predicted that her suggestion would be declined.
 
“Besides, don’t you realize that he is the one who is the sole source of this problem?” Yoona continued but was quickly cut by Ara.
 
“Which is why he may be the answer.” Ara made a bold and daring statement.
 
Ara then went on to explain. “Yoong... I know this sounds crazy but I think Luhan is really a good guy.” She let herself breathed before going on. “Well, based on your story. Firstly, he saved you from those bastards. And he worried about you. He did not take any advantage from you. He seemed to have manner as well. Is polite and kind. Plus, you said he is handsome. Not to forget that he is rich too. I mean, he paid the room, right?! He should have the money in his pocket.”
 
She tried to convince Yoona but of course it was not easy. Ara realized that what she just said was only her own opinion. She just had the feeling that Luhan was a good guy. She knew she was being too optimistic and overlooked the fact that Luhan was still an utter stranger. However, she did not want to see Yoona in this state forever. She thus wanted her best friend to do something about her own situation.
 
“You know what? You are probably feeling uneasy because you owe him something. And if that’s the case then you just need to say thank you to him.” Once again, Ara suggested that Yoona should contact Luhan.
 
“It’s not that. Even so... it won’t be that easy...” Yoona responded.
 
“Then maybe you are only embarassed for almost doing that with him...” Ara made another quick response.
 
“I told you it doesn’t really matter to me. Even if we really did that.” Yoona sounded a bit sultry by saying that and knew she was probably too rushed to reply.
 
Ara chuckled. She knew that Yoona did not think before replying. She understood how lost Yoona was and why she was not careful with her words. She decided not to elongate that topic though. She gave another opinion instead. “Well... Yoong, you should really make sure that you are not in love with him then.”
 
Yoona was stupefied after that. She stared at Ara and there was quite a silence before she admitted something. “That’s what my brain has been trying to convince me actually... and I’m afraid... really afraid of it...”
 
“Afraid? Well I hope you aren’t because it’s a good thing to fall in love, Yoong. It’s great actually. You are finally being more like a human if you are really in love with him.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“Come on... you know it. Your father has been steering your life for as long as I can remember. Thus, I think that it’s good that you can choose for yourself now. You can feel and control your own feelings. You’re not being ruled.” Ara paused. “Moreover, I hope that falling in love with someone can...” She was being very watchful to what Yoona’s reaction would be. “...Heal you.”
 
Yoona did not give any specific reaction though. She just kept staring at Ara while she was processing those words.
 
“Yoona... I know I was blabbering too much just right now but still... I’ll be really happy for you if it’s true.” Ara showed her concern.
 
Yoona still did not reply.
 
“Look, leaving his number means he wants to meet you again as well.” Ara reasoned out. “Why don’t you give him a chance... Or rather, why don’t you give yourself a chance?”
 
There was a constant silence since Ara did not know what is left to say and Yoona was being too stubborn. In the end though, when their orders came and were put on their table, Yoona made her decision.
 
“Ara-yah... Thank you very much. I really appreciate it but I’m just not that brave to contact him.”
 
----------
 
“Kim Jongin, you haven’t told me yet...” Inside another restaurant, Jongin and Sehun were also waiting for their lunch when Sehun came up with a topic to be discussed.
 
“About what?” Jongin raised his eyebrows.
 
“Why do you move? I want to know what makes you come back to Seoul.” Sehun had a feeling that it was rather a sensitive subject for now and he should wait until Jongin decided to talk about it. But curiousity won over Sehun. He was such an impatient young man.
 
“Why is it important for you? I mean, can’t I go back to my hometown?” Jongin jokingly asked his company with a simple smile.
 
However, Sehun did not take it lightly. He was being really serious this time. “You can, of course. But still, I’m sure there must be something behind it. And actually... I kind of hearing some rumours...” Said the demanding one.
 
“Rumours?” Jongin put more attention right after he heard that word.
 
“Yeah...” Sehun confirmed what he previously stated and he was about to continue but Jongin was quick enough to cut him.
 
“Since when you believe in them? Since when Oh Sehun relies on baseless things?” Jongin showed his skepticism that his friend followed those rumours.
 
“Since you are being so introvert about it.” Sehun gave an immediate response.
 
“I am not being an introvert, Sehun-ah.” Jongin almost exclaimed but he managed to stay calm. “Well, let’s hear what the rumours say then. Maybe one of them is actually correct.” Said Jongin as he leaned back and rested himself on the chair.
 
Sehun did not want to talk about those rumours. What he wanted was the truth from Jongin. Nevertheless, since they were at it already, he decided to go with it. “Look, I actually doubt almost every single rumour that I heard except one saying that you are here for Im Yoona.”
 
Jongin could only make a sarcastic smile while giving his comment. “People here sure loves thinking about useless thing.”
 
“What do you mean by that?” Sehun questioned him.
 
“They care for things that are not related to them.” Jongin sighed. As a matter of fact, Jongin had anticipated that rumours would surely spread since he was living in the circle of Seoul’s socialites and elites. What he did not really anticipate was how accurate a rumour could be.
 
“Does it mean you are back for that girl? Is it true then?” Sehun tried not to sound jealous.
 
“And what is so wrong about that?” Jongin could not hold it any longer as he deeply stared at Sehun. By saying that, he made it clear that he was here for Yoona.
 
“Jongin-ah... I can’t believe that you still can’t get over your old little crush on her.” Sehun knew that Jongin had liked Yoona for so many years. After all, Jongin used to brag about how adorable and beautiful Yoona was. “She had rejected you last year when she went to London. Why can’t you accept that?” Sehun did not recognize that Jongin was already very irked and his latest question just added oil to the fire.
 
“It’s simple. Because she is still single and available. Thus I won’t ever give up.” There was an obvious wrath in Jongin’s tone and Sehun could sense it. “And just a little reminder, it’s not an old little crush. It’s called love, Oh Sehun. And if you love your girlfriend, you should understand about what it means to love someone.” Jongin was at his limit.
 
Sehun could care less though. He had his own reason for being unsupportive. “I just... you know... it is so annoying to keep hearing about how pitiful and silly you are for chasing her while she had clearly rejected you. People are laughing at you, Jongin-ah...” Sehun just wanted to protect Jongin from those people who were laughing at him.
 
It did not reach through Jongin’s heart though.
 
“First, I don’t care what other people think. Second, I don’t get it why you are being so annoyed... that it annoys me. I thought that you would support me since you are my only friend in here. Guess I was wrong then. Third, I’m done. I don’t have the appetite anymore. See you around!”
 
With that coming from his mouth, Jongin stood up and left that restaurant, leaving Sehun alone who was not hungry anymore.
 
----------
 
“Who is that?” Taeyeon asked Soojung. Both of them were a member of Star Museum Orchestra. It was the most popular orchestra in South Korea. Taeyeon was registered as one of the orchestra’s choir’s sopranos while Soojung was in the alto team.   
 
“I think he is the new guy that Youngjin-oppa just recruited. He is in tenor team I guess.” Soojung gave her answer to the older girl as both of them enjoying the break of what seemed to be an exhausting practice session.
 
Since then, Taeyeon had been very curious about the new guy. In the next practice session, she had finally known the guy’s name. It was Baekhyun. She did not stop there of course. She went on to figure out about why Yoo Youngjin, the composer, recruited Baekhyun in the middle of their upcoming concert. She was told that Youngjin had asked Baekhyun to join the team long before the concert was even announced. However, due to personal matter, Baekhyun could not join the team at that time.
 
Equipped with this information, Taeyeon assumed that Baekhyun had to be a great singer. And she was correct.
 
One time, she was ready to leave the practice room when she noticed that Baekhyun was still there. She decided to stay and stood near the exit door while observing him. Baekhyun did not realize that he was being observed by Taeyeon. He had a reason to stay. He wanted to practice more because he knew he was just a newbie.
 
There were no other people there. There were only Taeyeon and Baekhyun.
 
Baekhyun started singing with his soothing voice. Taeyeon closed her eyes to concentrate on what she was listening to. And yes, Baekhyun proved that he was a great singer. Technically. He had a very great technique. He hit those notes perfectly. However, to Taeyeon’s ears, he lacked something.
 
And to Taeyeon’s surprise, she could not stop herself from giving a comment right at that time.
 
“You were indeed really great.” She even clapped her hands and walked towards Baekhyun who looked surprised as well.
 
“But I think you need more control and dynamics.” She stared at him. “You are quite loud so control that loudness, Baekhyun-ssi. Remember that we are in a team so we need to balance everything.” She smiled gracefully and added. “It would be perfect if you can sing out your feelings while you deliver that song.”
 
There was a short silence and Taeyeon realized just how stupid she was for embarassing herself. Her beautiful smile changed into an awkward one as she apologized. “Aigooo, I’m sorry for interrupting you.” She bowed politely. She was afraid that she might had crossed the border.
 
“Ahhh, Taeyeon-sunbae... it’s ok. Don’t apologize.” Baekhyun told her but Taeyeon did not really catch that because she was too busy apologizing. She excused herself after that. “I won’t bother you any longer then. See you, Baekhyun-ssi!” She turned her whole body and was about to leave when Baekhyun stopped her. “Sunbae! Taeyeon-sunbae!”
 
Taeyeon turned around to face Baekhyun again.
 
“Would you mind to mentor me then?” He asked her.
 
“Mentor you? What do you mean?” Taeyeon did not really understand about what Baekhyun requested.
 
“As you told me before that I need more control and dynamics, I was just wondering whether or not you want to mentor me about it. I mean, can you teach me how to control the loudness and sing out my feelings while I deliver the song?” Baekhyun elaborated his intention.
 
“I think that’s not my part. You should ask Youngjin-oppa.” Taeyeon quickly answered as she really felt that she was not in the position to mentor someone.
 
“He is busy with many things already including the preparation for the concert. I don’t want to be another burden for him.” Baekhyun countered and showed the reason why their composer should not be a choice. “Well, that’s ok sunbae. It is very unfortunate but I understand. I’ll just need to practice more. Thank you very much.” He then bowed because he knew he made his sunbae feeling uncomfortable.
 
Looking at Baekhyun, Taeyeon somehow felt responsible. She slightly regretted the way she acted like a vocal coach earlier. In the end, she accepted the request. “Baekhyun-ssi... I... I don’t know if I can help you actually but I guess... I will give it a try. We are in the same team after all. Besides, I need more practices as well.”
 
Baekhyun straightened his body and all Taeyeon could see was his beautiful and captivating smile.
 
That was when her heart skipped a beat for the first time.
 
“Sunbae...” Baekhyun called Taeyeon who seemed to be daydreaming. “Taeyeon-sunbae...”
 
“Ahhh!!! Yesss! What is it? What? Why Baekhyun-ah? What’s wrong?!” Taeyeon was surprised that she screamed out some random words only to be aware that it was only the voice of Baekhyun. She was recalling the first time she had a conversation with Baekhyun.
 
“Can we start now?” Baekhyun chuckled at how funny Taeyeon’s reaction just right now. He thinks that his sunbae was just too cute.
 
“Sure...” Taeyeon answered responsively. Both of them had agreed that they would always practice together after the official practice session ended.
 
This was the source of Taeyeon’s problem. The extra practice session kept her from being on time to meet up with her close friends.
 
Secondly, or rather most importantly, she fell in love with Baekhyun, who was three years younger than her. The fact that she fell for someone younger than her was the real reason why she could not tell her close friends that she was in love.
 
As a woman, she thought that she could not fall for someone younger than her. That was her rule and now she obviously went against that rule.
 
----------
 
Taeyeon’s rule was the opposite of what Jongin had been fighting for. He fell in love with someone who was four years older than him. It started with a little crush and grew as a sincere love throughout the time. For him, it was never wrong if the woman is older than the man in a relationship.
 
“Ok. Tomorrow will be fine.” Yoona talked to Jongin on the phone. She was watching a drama in her bedroom when the tanned young man called.
 
“Great... I’ll pick you up then.” Jongin replied. He was in his way to his apartment after buying some snacks from the supermarket.
 
“Fine and this is your treat, right? You still owe me because you did not tell me that you were coming back.” Yoona pouted at the end of her sentence.
 
Jongin laughed before talking again. “Sure... it’s my treat and I’m sorry for being quite mysterious, Yoona-yah. I just want to make a surprise.”
 
“Hey, that’s Yoona-noona for you. I’m older than you, remember?! Where is your manner, Kim Jongin?” Yoona playfully scolded Jongin.
 
“I don’t want to make you feel old. You should thank me instead, Yoona-yah.” Jongin laughed once again.
 
“Whatever...” Yoona smiled and continued to explain. “By the way, pick me up at the Shilla’s main lobby. I will be in that hotel because I have to accompany my father. There is this dinner we should attend to, you know.”
 
“Deal! See you real soon!” Jongin could not hide the excitement. If Yoona was in front of him right now, she would clearly see how Jongin’s cheeks turned red.
 
“Neh... see you!” Yoona replied before hanging up.
 
----------
 
The extra practice session had ended and both Baekhyun and Taeyeon had walked to their own next schedule. Taeyeon had a date with her close friends as usual while Baekhyun went to a cafe to meet Luhan.
 
“Hyung... there you are.” Baekhyun smiled when he saw the face he had been waiting for.
 
“Sorry to make you wait, Baekhyun.” Luhan replied as they hugged each other. They sat down after that.
 
Baekhyun took something out from his bag and handed it to Luhan. “Here...” It was an invitation. A wedding invitation to be exact. “My mom and I were thinking about sending it personally to your home but we realize that my dad is in critical time of his career and our presence can be troublesome so yeah... I guess it’s better to ask for your help, hyung.” Baekhyun paused to catch some breaths. “You know... my mom and dad are still in not-so-good term even after divorcing for years...”
 
“Yeah... I know and understand about it but actually... Your dad, my stepfather... have heard about the wedding.” Luhan carefully told the truth.
 
“Well, that’s great then. I mean... that way, it will be easier to invite him to come.” Baekhyun replied.
 
“Neh... sure it it will be easier. However, I’m not sure he will spare some time for it though.” Luhan expressed his worry.
 
Baekhyun knew that Luhan could not promise anything. “It’s ok, hyung. We don’t really mind about it but we will welcome you and your mother for sure.”
 
“Thank you so much. I really appreciate it, Baekhyun-ah.” Luhan smiled and he wished that the wedding’s preparations went smoothly. “I hope everything will go as planned.”
 
Baekhyun replied with a smile as well. “Thanks, hyung.”
 
Unknown to Luhan, the smile on Baekhyun’s face was only a mask. Deep inside his heart, Baekhyun secretly hoped that the wedding would never happen actually. Not that he despised it. Baekhyun was truly happy for his mother because finally she could meet her soulmate. He just really hoped that the man his mother would marry was not Taeyeon’s father.
 
Taeyeon was oblivious about it. She did not know that Baekhyun was the son of the woman that her father was going to marry two weeks later. She knew that she would have a stepbrother but she did not care about it. She did not want to know about her new family and she was not that curious. After all, Taeyeon did not like the fact that her father was going to marry again. She felt like they were cheating on her real mother. She kept it to herself though.
 
As for Baekhyun, he was very curious about his new family. He asked his mother and even researched about them. He also found out that Kim Taeyeon was a member of the orchestra he had been asked to join to. He signed with the orchestra right away and finally got the chance to know her. His initial plan was just to be her friend but he messed up that plan.
 
He could feel that there was a butterfly inside his stomach that very moment Taeyeon talked to him. If it was not love then what do we call it? He easily fell for her.
 
Baekhyun did not know whether he should tell the truth or not. Moreover, the wedding day was getting closer and three days later he would be having the first dinner with his mother, Taeyeon’s father, and of course Taeyeon.
 
----------
 
Taeyeon finally arrived at the designated place where her friends had been waiting for her and she was surprised that she was not the last one to arrive.
 
“Fany said she was going to be late...” Siwon explained while Taeyeon took her seat.
 
“She also said we should be prepared for what she is going to show...” Added Hyukjae.
 
“Did she say what it is exactly?” Asked Jessica.
 
“Nope... But she told me that she will be late because she has to wait for tomorrow’s copy of Korea Times.” Hyukjae answered before sipping his strawberry milk.
 
“How is it that she can get a copy of tomorrow’s newspaper?” Donghae wondered about it.
 
“Yahhh, Lee Donghae... don’t you know that everything is possible with connection nowadays?!” Siwon quickly answered.
 
“Well if that’s the case then I guess we will be seeing something scandalous printed as a headline on that newspaper.” Jessica commented and it was followed by a familiar voice.
 
“You are absolutely right, honey.” Tiffany had arrived and she placed the newspaper on the table revealing the article everyone had been waiting for.
 
“Daughter of prime minister candidate’s bed photos leaked...” Taeyeon read the provocative title and it is enough to make everyone understood why Tiffany should be late.
 
----------
 
To be continued...
 
A/N
 
Sorry for being so slow but I am working really hard to come up with the plot and this chapter. LOL! I hope you all can understand and enjoy the story. Finally I wrote about Baekhyun. Speaking of him, I just want to confirm that Baekhyun's parents had divorced. He was under his mother's custody. Baekhyun's father remarried Luhan's mother and now Baekhyun's mother was going to marry Taeyeon's father. I want to make the atmosphere of the story similar to Gossip Girl with Taeyeon's group as the gossip girl and all the characters are the Seoul's elites/socialites. I guess I don't describe it in a good way though. Well, I'm sorry for any errors and mistakes. I'll correct them once I notice them. Thank you everyone! :)