The Best Birthday Present is... YOU

The Best Birthday Present
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Infinite was currently in Japan for their concert. As soon as they woke up, they headed straight to their rented practice room to practice for a few hours, before getting ready for the concert happening in the evening. They would then have an hour break to roam around Japan and then it was back to practice for another few hours.

The day was quite depressing for Sungyeol. First, he couldn’t spend his birthday with his girlfriend. Second, he couldn’t spend his birthday with his girlfriend. And third, he couldn’t spend his birthday with his girlfriend! It’s been tradition for the past three years that the two of you would spend the day together. Out of all days, the concert had to be on his birthday and you had to be preparing for college. Plus, it seemed as if the Infinite members forgot his birthday! No one mentioned it. Not even once.

The first half of practice, all he thought about was how disappointed he was that he couldn’t see you until a few days later. Sungyeol wanted practice to go by quickly so he could head over to the café near the practice room to have an Americano and check his phone for a text message from you, wishing him a happy birthday and comforting him that although you weren’t there, you’d have an opportunity to hang out when he comes back.

Finally, the moment he was waiting for came. Practice was over and there was an hour until the Infinite members had to be back. Sungyeol grabbed his things and quickly headed to the café. He’s been a regular for the past few days. His fans on Twitter recommended him the place, saying that they served the best Americano, and he agreed. It was one of the best he’d ever tasted.

He ordered an Americano, plugged his earphones into his MP3, and checked his phone inbox. Disappointment. That’s what he was feeling. His inbox was empty; there were no new messages from you. Maybe you were busy with preparations for your first year in college that you didn’t have time to text him. Perhaps you’d text him later, when you were free. Yeah, that’s it. No need to get all worked up.

His music was playing pretty loudly, so he couldn’t hear what the waitress said. She placed his Americano on the table and laid a napkin next to it. Sungyeol was so engrossed in his phone that he didn’t notice her presence until she pulled her hand back and took his menu. For a second and no more, he saw a flash of the bracelet she was wearing on her right hand. It looked familiar. Where has he seen it…? Oh! He had it customized for you on your 18th birthday so there was only one in the entire world! Guess someone else had the exact same taste as he did. So much for it being unique.

Sungyeol looked at his Americano, but then spotted the napkin. There was a piece of paper sticking out of it. He carefully took it out and read what was written.

You looked cute scrolling through your phone that I almost blew my cover to pinch your adorable chubby cheeks. Oops! ㅋㅋㅋ

He turned around in hopes of getting a glimpse of the waitress that gave him his Americano, but she was gone. There were no waitresses in the direction that the one who gave him his drink went. Hm, weird. Sungyeol took a sip of his Americano. Two words: absolutely delicious. He sighed in content, temporarily forgetting about the waitress incident. It was already time to leave and go back. He paid for his drink, left the café, and returned to the practice room.

Hours past. Music blasted throughout the room. The smell of perspiration filled the air. When the music finally stopped, it was silent, except for the sound of ragged breathing. Sungyeol dropped onto the floor, grabbing his phone from his bag. Again, no text messages. To say he wasn’t bummed out would be a lie. He was quite upset that the one person he wanted a text from hasn’t texted him yet. He sighed. Hopefully you’d text him soon. Neither you nor Infinite wished him a happy birthday today. The members all headed back to the hotel to wash up and then go to concert venue.  

Sungyeol came out of the bathroom, rubbing his hair dry. L got up from his bed and went to shower. A basket of fruit was in his and L’s room. How did that get in here…? He checked for any letters or anything that could be used to identify the person who sent it.

I know how much you love your fruits, so enjoy! Sungyeol hwaiting! Make Inspirits proud! ^-^

There wasn’t a name. He took an apple, walked into the bathroom while L was showering, and washed it. He exited the bathroom calmly, not listening to L’s complaint of Sungyeol surprising him by not knocking or giving any notice that he was going to enter the bathroom. He sat on the bed and switched on the TV while munching on the apple.

L came out of the bathroom and stood in front of the TV.

“Hey, Yeol, next time you plan on barging into the bathroom while I’m showering, at least give me a warning.”

“I don’t see why you’re so bothered by it. We’re guys here. The guys shower with each other all the time. We even showered together once.” Sungyeol said, trying to watch TV.

“I’m not bothered, just surprised.” L said, plopping himself on the bed, next to Sungyeol. “I thought it was someone else.”

Sunggyu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter