Introduction

Introduction

 

Introduction

Summary: Yong Jaesoon hated introducing himself.


"Okay class! Let's start introducing ourselves, shall we," the male teacher announced nonchalantly, clapping his hands on process to prompt the students.

"Okay, I'm Mr. Hong, but you can call me Papa Hong, since you guys are still kids," Hong said baldly, scrutinizing the new kids as he fixed his glasses.

He touched his jaw, surveying the room with his small eyes as he chose who would be first. He pointed at the third seat, where a kid was obviously showing nervousness.

"M-me," he stuttered.

"I don't see anyone else."

"B-but.. don't we start at the front first," he tried to reason out.

"No, my class, my rules."

He stood from his chair. Then he scratched his cheek to remove the nervousness. "Well, I'm Son Dongwoon, nice to meet you."

The kid that looked like a foreigner sat, after introducing himself. "That wasn't so bad, wasn't it?"

"Okay, next!" His index finger pointed particularly at no one, till it started to move. "You," he said, surprising the kid. He pointed at the boy from the back, next to the back door.

The kid gingerly stood from his chair. The air of nervousness and anxiety surrounding him. Silence filled the room as they waited for him to introduce himself. 

"I'm..... Y-yong...."

"Go on."

He swallowed a lump on his throat. Truth to be told, he hated introducing himself. Not because he didn't have any courage or self-confidence, it was because he hated his name. Why his mom couldn’t name him something else? His brother Junsung had a better name than him, heck, he was even younger than him! Maybe his mother got creative at the end.

"Jae..soon," he said quietly.

The teacher cringed, his days weakened his hearing. "Come again?"

Jaesoon thought the teacher was mocking him. He flushed in embarrassment. He raised his voice a little.

"I'm...Yong Jaesoon!"

As soon as he shouted that, he immediately regretted it. Everyone in class broke into laughter. He could hear various remarks from his classmates.

"Jaesoon! Haha! That's for girls!"

"Even I have a better name! What an ugly name!" another boy said.

"Maybe he isn't a boy!" another boy said.

Laughter and remarks filled in the room as Jaesoon's face went red in shame. That's right, his name was for girls. It wasn't manly, it was such an ugly name. He felt tears stinging on the corner of his eyes as he willed it to stop.

The teacher tried to calm the students, but still they wouldn't stop. "Ugly, ugly!"

"It's not like I wanted this name!" he yelled, then taking his bag as he rushed outside, not taking of that crap anymore. 

"Jaesoon!"

Even it sounded ridiculous when called. He let his tears flow, as he ran blindly. 

Then he stopped, after exhaustion crept on him. Jaesoon came to his senses, catching his breath after wiping his tears and runny nose with his sleeve.

"Eh? Where did I go?"

There were see-saws, swings, slides and a sand box all around in that place. He guessed it was a playground that he hadn't seen yet. Jaesoon caught a glimpse of a boy playing on the sand box, building a sand mountain.

He gingerly approached the boy."Y-yah, why are you alone?"

The boy flinched, clearly surprised at the stranger. He raised his head, and they saw each other for the very first time. 

Jaesoon saw a boy with a small head, with big doe eyes, a button nose, and pink lips."Cute," he thought. 

The boy was still staring at him and Jaesoon wondered why. "What," he asked, frowning.

The kid raised his finger, saying,"You have a snot outside your nose."

-

After the moment of embarrassment, overreaction, and a heartfelt laughter from the boy, the boy introduced himself.

"I'm Yang Yoseob, you are?"

They sat on the sand box, trying to build the sand mountain that Yoseob kept failing. Jaesoon pouted. It must have been nice, having a good name. 

"Captain Coke,” Jaesoon said, as he smoothed out the surface of the sand mountain. Yoseob just blinked.

"Well Captain Coke, let's build a tunnel under the mountain!" Yoseob exclaimed, his eyes shining.

Said boy was caught off guard, since the boy believed his words. "W-wah, do you think there's someone in this world that would have a name like that?"

The boy tilted his head, which Jaesoon found adorable as he blushed in result. "Yeah, you."

"My name's not Captain Coke, pabbo!"

Yoseob paused, Jaesoon's words registering in his head. Tears started welling up, as he pointed at Jaesoon.

"Waaaahh!! Captain Coke cursed me! He said I'm a pabbo! Captain Coke swears!"

Yoseob started crying, panicking Jaesoon. He stopped on his tracks, thinking of what he should do. Yoseob started wailing, so Jaesoon rushed to his side and hugged him.

"Captain Coke is sorry okay? Captain Coke didn't mean to swear." Jaesoon blushed at the contact; he wasn't used at hugging people. Despite the awkward feeling, he hugged Yoseob tightly, causing the boy to stop crying.

"Really? Captain Coke's sorry?" Yoseob asked, raising his head. Jaesoon felt heat crept on his face as he realized how close Yoseob was. He nodded. 

"Yeah."

-

"So your name isn't Captain Coke," Yoseob chirped, as they worked on the sand tunnel. The idea of the sand tunnel was that a tunnel should be formed inside the sand mountain, without the sand mountain collapsing. Jaesoon worked on the other side, while Yoseob worked on the other. Jaesoon nodded. 

"Then what's your name?"

"I don't want to tell you." Jaesoon said coldly. Yoseob started showing signs of crying again, so he stopped the other boy.

"Okay, okay! I'll tell you! Sheesh, you're such a crybaby."

Yoseob cheered, "You will? Yay!" His crying reduced to a smile. Jaesoon felt like returning it, so he did.

"But no laughing, okay?"

Yoseob nodded as Junhyung sighed.

"I'm Yong Jaesoon," he said, blushing in embarrassment. There was a pause, as Jaesoon waited for Yoseob to laugh at him. He glanced at the boy, seeing that the boy was just staring at him.

The boy went back to digging a tunnel in the mountain, so Jaesoon did also. "What's wrong with Jaesoon, Jaesoon?"

Weird. It sounded wrong when he heard his name coming from others. But with the boy, it just seemed so right. He blushed from the acknowledgment.

"I hate it." 

"Because?"

"Doesn't it sound girly," Jaesoon asked Yoseob, staring at him as Yoseob continued to dig. Yoseob stopped his doings and returned Jaesoon's stare. He smiled sweetly at him.

"Nope! I think it's a nice name!"

Jaesoon blushed for the umpteenth time. No one excluding his mom praised his name. "B-but people laugh at it! I want a different name!"

He directed his attention to his hands, digging the tunnel as he felt the boy staring at him. He glanced, seeing that the boy was pouting.

"I like Jaesoon though."

Jaesoon's face couldn't get redder. Then silence surrounded them, as they worked the sand tunnel together. It was uncomfortable, but Jaesoon felt no courage to change it. 

Almost there, Yoseob asked all of the sudden. "What about Junhyung?"

"Junhyung?"

"Yeah, for your new name!" Yoseob grinned.

"Junhyung. Yong Junhyung. I like it!!" Jaesoon smiled.

"But you have to let only me call you Jaesoon though."

"Of course!" It only sounds good when you say it.

"Ah!" Yoseob exclaimed, looking at Jaesoon, who looked at him too.

"Our hands met!" 

Truly, they finished the tunnel, and Yoseob was holding Jaesoon's hand. Both kids were blushing.

Grinning, he said to Jaesoon, "Nice to meet you, Yong Junhyung!"

Jaesoon gave his biggest grin and replied to him, "Nice to meet you too, future Mrs. Yong!"