Part I

Of Bookmarks and Hellos

 

“We’re definitely going to the Alice Nine concert, right, Luhan?” Nicole said, enthusiastically. Luhan bobbed his head, grinning brightly. 

“Aish, stop talking about your J-pop or J-rock-whatever and get on with the project!” Yoona reprimanded her friends, in an angry whisper.

“Aw, c’mon, Yoona, be more considerate..who listens to you while you squeal about your Super Junior?” Nicole replied, putting a hand on her hip, smirking slightly. Yoona’s cheeks were dusted with pink and she went back to outlining the words on the white poster paper that was spread across the small table.

“Yah, Mir! Stop looking at your and help us with the project too, will you?” Yoona said, as she spotted the other boy in the other chair, looking into a worn out magazine eagerly.

“What ?!” Mir demanded. “Baek Hyeon’s in Ceci again...dude, I seriously wish I knew her personally. She’s hot.” Mir pretended to fan himself and Yoona rolled her eyes. “Really?” Luhan asked, eyes wide as he leaned over to look at the pages Mir was flipping through. “Yoon Eun Hye is prettier.” Mir stuck his tongue out at Luhan and then Yoona slapped Mir’s arm. “Yah! I told you to go back to work!” she said.

Kibum glanced up from his science textbook, and chuckled at Yoona’s lecturing. Kibum was looking for more information to add to the poster, and had only gotten a few bullets written down, yet they were less than sufficient to fill the rest of the poster board up. “Anymore stuff to add, Kibum?” Luhan asked Kibum, leaning over to see what progress Kibum was making. Luhan teasingly shook his head and clucked his tongue.

“Yah, I can’t find anymore, okay? I’m trying,” Kibum said, quickly. Luhan chuckled and just picked up another copy of the same textbook. He cracked it open and flipped through the pages to help. Mir did the same, immediately sighing when he saw the first page.

They were at the local library trying to finish a project for their honors physics class. It was supposedly the smallest assignment to be given for the whole year, but it had sure a lot of writing involved. The group of five had spent the past three hours at the library, and hardly gotten anything done.

A half an hour later, Nicole slumped down into her chair, her head tilted back, so all Kibum could see was the tip of her chin facing the ceiling. She sort of looked dead, if you asked him. “Dude...we have nothing to put on the poster...” she grumbled. “We’re going to get a really bad grade.”

“I know,” Yoona said, sighing sadly as she rested her chin in her palm. A few long, stray bangs was blown away from her eyes by her sharp exhale. Mir and Luhan were still reading their books, but had no luck. “Ah, Kibum,” Nicole said, sitting up again.

“Yes?”

“Go ask one of the librarians if they have any books on...er...all the topics we need,” Nicole told him. Kibum nodded, and picked up his backpack, which was actually a faded light blue messenger bag that he slung over his shoulder. He made his way from the tables and down the filled shelves, looking for a librarian. He saw a stout, middle-aged woman, who had a sneer on her face practically every second of the day, and quickly avoided her. There was also that man in his thirties who was sort of a ert, trying to look down school girls’ shirts. It was sort of gross-no, really gross, and Kibum wondered why no one had reported him to the officials for ia.

Since the library was practically empty, most of the librarians had left early, and only those who wanted overtime, or just had nothing to do, stayed to maintain the facility. Kibum was about to give up, and he sat down in one of the aisles of books, taking one out of the shelf that looked quite interesting. Romeo and Juliet. Kibum opened the small novel, and frowned when he saw the tiny script. Might as well read it. He found himself completely immersed in the book that he didn’t notice the boy who stood over him.

Good Night, Good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night– “Um...excuse me?”

Startled, Kibum looked up. “Y-yes..?”

The boy cleared his throat. “Well, for safety precautions, we don’t allow people to sit and read in the aisles since others might need to retrieve a book or someone could trip over you and get hurt. We aren’t respon–”

“Got it. Don’t sit on the floor. Sit on a chair.” Kibum pursed his lips and nodded, standing up. He dusted off his jeans, and closed the paperback novel on his finger. Hm. This boy was kind of cute.

The boy bobbed his head, in acknowledgement, and he smiled sightly. Kibum noticed he was a bit taller than the boy. His wide, dark brown, puppy-like eyes were twinkling slightly, his chocolate brown hair was cut in a nice fringe, and his crooked smile reminded Kibum of a dinosaur. Then, Kibum remembered why he was there in the first place.

“O-oh! Um, I’m looking for some books on physics...more of energy, and thermodynamics..something on those or like those topics,” Kibum blurted. There was an awkward silence, and then the boy said, “Okay, follow me.”

The shorter boy led Kibum down the aisle and towards the back of the library, where the reference books were located. “You’re lucky; I know a few good ones, since I just took a physics course for high school last year.”

“You’re a senior?” Kibum asked. The dinosaur boy shook his head. “I just got into Seoul University, and I’m going to start classes there at the end of November.”

Kibum nodded once, and the dinosaur boy chuckled. “Okay, here they are.” DB stopped at the middle of a shelf, and looked up to find the books he was looking for. After a moment, the boy reached up, standing on his toes to retrieve the books. Kibum saw his shirt lift up slightly at the bottom, and at the corner of Kibum’s eye, he saw abs. Oh my god.

DB grabbed three books from the shelves and held them out to Kibum. “Those should cover what you need,” he said, beaming again.

Kibum bowed, and said a quick thank you. He was about to turn around to go back to his table, when he felt a hand touch his wrist. “Wait...I never got your name,” the boy said, his puppy eyes wide.

“K-Kibum..Kim Kibum.”

The boy held out his hand. “I’m Jonghyun. Nice to meet you, Kibum.”

--

Jonghyun. Jonghyun. Jonghyun. Jonghyun. Kibum couldn’t get his name out of his head, especially the next few days after he first met him. They went to the library every afternoon, and Kibum practically saw Jonghyun everywhere around the building. Kibum couldn’t help himself but to admire Jonghyun’s naturally perfect hair, adorable eyes, and every smile he made. Okay, maybe that may seem a bit stalker-ish, but it’s only in the afternoon..it’s not like he stalks him every minute of the day.

“What are you looking at?” Luhan asked Kibum, when he caught the younger boy staring off into the other side of the library, instead of helping him search through the new books Kibum had found for them.

“N-nothing!” Kibum replied, quickly turning back to the book. He picked up his mechanical pencil and quickly jotted down some things in his notebook. Luhan frowned. “Kibuuuuuuum,” he drew out, poking the blonde boy’s forehead, annoyingly.

“Yes?” Kibum asked, not amused.

Luhan tilted his head. “Why do you keep daydreaming? Are you looking for someone?”

Nicole, who overhead Luhan, leaned over near Kibum. “Yeah, Kibummie, what are you looking at?”

Kibum tried looking away to avoid the questions, and Nicole turned to follow his gaze, which lay across the open section to where a boy in a navy blue cardigan about their age stood, shelving books. “You’re looking at him?” Nicole asked, and it immediately startled Kibum.

“W-what? N-no! I’m just t-thinking, y’know..” Kibum stammered. Nicole smiled in satisfaction. “You like him,” Mir said, poking Kibum’s cheek.

Kibum grumbled. “I doooooon’t. He just helped me find these books, that’s all.”

Yoona sighed dreamily. “Aigoo~ Then comes the story of how you two met...how romantic. Seriously, you guys would be cute together.”

Nicole nodded. “Would he be the manlier one in the relationship?”

“Yah!” Kibum retorted, slapping Nicole’s arm. Nicole shrugged and rubbed the spot where Kibum had hit her. “What’s his name? Did you get his number?” Yoona asked.

“His name’s Jonghyun...and no, I didn’t get his number,” Kibum replied. Nicole groaned. “Aish, Kibum, you like him...you could’ve just asked him...”

“That’s c-creepy! What if he..”

“Doesn’t like you back? What are you talking about? You’re like, hot, and why wouldn’t he like you?” Yoona shot back. Kibum covered his face. “I don’t want to make him feel awkward...” he said.

“Too bad. Go ask him right now,” Nicole told him.

Luhan and Mir was giggling at Kibum’s protests. “Aish, you stubborn boy,” Mir said.

“Never mind,” Nicole said, taking a textbook from the table and began reading it.

--

The procrastinator finally finishes.. /shot. mianhae, i thought this would turn out better than i expected...but i'm not very pleased with this so far. ;____; but........enjoy. ouo