It Has To Be You

Different Roads To Paradise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

▬ Final Chapter: It Has To Be You ▬

 

It was barely lit outside with no visible clouds, nonetheless, the illuminating sun. In fact, the crescent shaped moon was still chilling up in the gray colored background. Lucky him. It’s still early in the morning and I would never get up voluntarily at this hour. Aish, I want more sleep. But, here I am, doing something what I have never thought of doing in my 10 years of being on this world.

Running. Early, and I mean really early, in the morning.

How troublesome.

“Hey, wait up, oppa!” I heard her shout behind me.

I turned around and smirked. There she was, my childhood friend, my best friend and hopefully one day, it’ll be something more.

“It’s your fault for not setting your alarm clock!” I retorted as I ran even faster.

“Then why are you running too? Did you forget to set yours too?” she chuckled. “You’re always like that, oppa.”

I turned around again and this time I was running, or more like walking, backwards. “Hey, at least I’m closer to the finish line.” I nonchalantly replied.

“Yah! Wait for me!”

If you’re wondering why both of us are running at the break of day, it’s because our school has a field trip today and we had to be in school as early as 6AM to catch the bus to go to our field trip location. Well, if you’re asking where it would be, hey, even I don’t know.

To be quite honest, I vaguely remember where the location was since I just slept the entire time they discussed the field trip. But, I did hear some people saying that we’re going to Hokkaido, Japan. I know where Japan is but I have no idea what Hokkaido would be like.

I wound up the corner and finally, I could see the school. However, everybody was already going on board.

This time, I was the one who screamed. “Yah! Wait up!”

“Hurry up, man! We’re going to be late!” The class president, Niel, yelled back.

“Hey, we need to hurry. Everybody’s riding the bus already.” I said to the girl still running behind me.

“What?!”

I sighed as I waited for her to catch up to me and grabbed her hand. “Dude, you’re so slow!”

Both of us were now running hand in hand towards the rest of the class. It’s a good thing we made it in just the nick of time.

“Why are you guys always late?” Changjo, one of my best friends, said as I sat down beside him.

“Hmm, maybe because we live farther than you guys,” I replied.

“Dude, you live 15 minutes away from the school.”

“And you guys live in front of the school.”

Changjo laughed, “Same humor as always.”

Honestly, I wonder the same question. Changjo lives one hour away from the campus yet he manages to get to school on time. Does he know magic?

“Hey, hey, hey,” someone from behind tapped my shoulder. I recognized the voice as Ricky’s, the class troublemaker.

“What?”

“You guys came in today at the same time too. Are you a couple?”

I sighed. I get this question a lot mostly because I live three houses away from her and I always, I mean, we always wake up late and pretty much go to school at the same time.

“No, man. She’s just a childhood friend.”

“Ah, childhood friends,” he said in a dreamy tone.

Truthfully, it sounded creepy.

“Where’s Chunji and C.A.P?” I ignored Ricky and directed my attention back to Changjo.

“Chunji’s at the back flirting as usual while C.A.P’s staying at home. He called yesterday and he sounded sick.”

I snickered, “That’s what he gets for running into the storm last night saying he’s too manly to share an umbrella.”

“Okay guys, we’re going to the airport now. We haven’t left anyone right?” Niel scanned the bus one last time. “And we’re off!”

 

══════ 

 

“Lee Byunghun!” someone yelled and I opened one eye to see her standing in front of me.

“What is it, Jade,” I grumbled. I seriously need sleep after waking up too early.

“We’re here.”

I looked outside and all I see was endless fields of grass, flowers and… mountains?

“A-are you sure this is it?” I asked.

“Yup!”

“But where are the buildings and malls and people?”

She let out a laugh, “Haven’t you been listening in history class? Hokkaido is a rural area, you idiot.”

“T-then that means…”

 

Yup. I was damn right. We were going to live in a cottage.

What. Is. This. Where’s the granite floor? The massive bedrooms? The hot shower water in this freaking cold?!

“Don’t worry,” Jade reassured me. “It won’t be that bad.”

 

Oh, but it was. Niel woke us up military style every single day, booming his trumpet. I had to shower while screaming every morning and bugs love to kiss me every night.

“Tomorrow’s a free day so you guys can feel free to do whatever you want.” Niel announced.

“Hey, Changjo, wanna go somewhere tomorrow?” I inquired as both of us went back to our rooms.

“Sorry L.Joe, but Hannah already asked me earlier to go sightseeing with her tomorrow.”

“Lucky you,” I replied with a sigh. Sometimes having a girlfriend is mandatory in field trips, huh?

“Why not go with Jade, you haven’t told her yet, right?”

I turned in my bed to face the other side of the room. I guess now’s the right time.

 

══════ 

 

Last night, after much contemplating and debate, I finally got the courage to ask Jade if she wanted to spend our final day in Hokkaido together. To my surprise, she said yes.

“Wah! It’s so beautiful!” Jade gasped as we stopped by a big tree where we could see a nice view of the mountains and fields far in the distance. Actually, I found this place yesterday and decided to show her the view. Just the two of us.

“Where did you find this place, L.Joe?” she asked, still looking at the view and taking pictures at the same time.

“I researched before I came here.”

“That’s ironic,” she snickered. “Because since we first came here, you didn’t even know that this is a rural area. Also, I know you don’t do your homework, Lee Byunghun.” She pointed out.

“Hey, I do my homework,” I paused and whispered the next words, “From time to time.”

She let out a laugh. How I missed hearing her laugh and seeing her smile. That’s one of the things that I love about her.

The two of us remained quiet the remainder of the time we stayed there. We just sat there, staring off to the distance and hearing only the rustling of the trees and the cold whispers of the wind. If only time would stop right now. It would be perfect.

“Hey, Jade,” I broke the silence. “I have something to tell you.”

She looked at me and our eyes met. I gulped and wondered how I should say those lines. God, I didn’t want to sound like those erted old men with cheesy lines. Nobody told me confessing was this nerve-racking.

“I…I…” Damn it, Lee Byunghun. Just say it!

“I-I know we’ve been friends since we were 3 and w-we’ve known each other for 7 years now.” Why the heck am I stuttering?!

“Truth is, I just, I mean, I wanted to say I lov-”

“Hey guys! We’re leaving you again!” Niel interrupted.

“We’re coming!” Jade replied as I scoffed and face palmed myself.

“What were you about to say?” Jade looked at me again.

“N-nothing. I love your company, that’s all,” I smiled.

“Same here!” she beamed. “We’re best friends, right?”

“Yeah… best friends.”

 

══════ 

 

The whole trip back to Seoul, Changjo kept on complaining how everything was unfortunate.

“Damn that Niel. I’m going to kill him.”

“Yah, stop it. It’s all in the past.”

“But dude! That was the right chance! A beautiful scenery with leaves ruffling in the background and just the two of you would’ve been romantic!”

“Hey, have you been hanging out with Ricky too much?” I snickered. “Plus, you sound like a girl who’s been in love.”

“Way to break my fantasy moment, L.Joe.”

“You’re welcome.”

Changjo chuckled, “Sometim

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter