{Learning The Basics}

♔ The Pink House {Writing Tips and Advice}♔

 

Learning the Basics

Before anyone can begin as a writer, whether here on AFF or otherwise, there are certain things that can be done to maximise the potential of a story. Taking the time to prepare is often the most overlooked stage of writing, but can be incredibly important; both for your understanding of the conventions of story-telling and your overall confidence as a beginning author. This section aims to outline the most immediate questions I had when I began on the site (as well as issues I have seen other writer’s raise) and the answers to those problems.

 

 



 

 

Below is a list of key terminology that any aspiring writer ought to familiarise themselves with, in my opinion:

1. Genre - The type of story. This concerns the overall theme of the writing and the tone that should be adopted. Examples of different genres include (but are not limited too) Horror / Romance / Comedy / Action etc. Knowing your intended genre is crucial, since it allows you to choose what kind of style you will be writing in. For example, a ‘Romance’ story may include lots of fluff and emotive description, whereas a ‘Horror’ story may employ much more metaphor and symbolism. Genre, therefore, affects most aspects of subsequent writing.

2. Audience - Who you are aiming your story at. This is often disregarded on fan fiction sites, since many assume that there is really no particular audience, however this is untrue. Just with any other form of media, each story is geared towards a different age group/gender and the writing should reflect this. For example, if your story is very light-hearted and aimed at a younger age-group it might be inappropriate to include elaborate imagery and overly-sophisticated language. Know your audience and it will make it much easier for them to get to know you as a writer.
 
3. Characterisation - A seemingly misunderstood category. This concerns everything that gives your characters’ depth and originality. It encompasses much more than simply a physical description of the main cast; for example, character back stories and developing relationships will come under this. Character dialogue also contributes and should never be underestimated. A basic rule here is that, when a reader starts to identify with a character (whether through action/description or dialogue) they will be more likely to connect with the story in general.

4.Plot - The overall storyline. The beginning, the middle and the end of your story. Fairly self-explanatory, but it might be pertinent to say that a plot is ever changing. A stagnant plot is boring, and a zealous plot is exhausting; a balance should be met between realism and entertainment, taking into consideration - carefully - the appropriateness to the genre. It is not necessary to plan every stage of your plot, but it of course helps to have an overall idea.
 
5. Flow/Discourse - Does it hurt my brain when I read it? Ask yourself that question when considering this section. Flow/Discourse concerns the layout and progression of your story. This includes your use of paragraphing as well as how well paced the overall story is. Do you start a new paragraph for each new speaker? Do scenes carry on fluidly into each other? Are you skipping over important information? All of these questions are simple, but sometimes forgotten by us amateur writers.

6. Grammar - Another very misunderstood category. Grammatical features are NOT limited to your spelling and punctuation. Far from it. Grammar is an enormous category that has one of the largest potentials to make or break a story. Grammar is a set of structural rules, in any language, that governs the formation of clauses, sentences and words. This may include spelling and punctuation, but can also include such things as; the phonetic sounds of words, the semantic and lexical fields of a writer (eg. Semantics of war/Lexical field of war), as well as the pragmatics and contexts behind a given phrase. This would also include the connotations and denotations (The literal and under-lying meanings) behind words. Grammar or ‘syntax’ is therefore a key concept to grasp at an early stage, and can have a massive impact on both reader and writer.

7.Rhetorical Devices - In my opinion, the most important sub-category of Grammar. This heading encompasses all of the language techniques that a writer uses; usually to evoke some kind of emotional response, or to portray humour and irony. Examples of these devices include but are not limited too; Metaphor/Simile/Repetition/Assonance/Dissonance/Onomatopoeia/Rule of 3 etc. I will discuss these devices in detail in a later chapter.  

Understanding these seven words is not necessary, but comes highly recommended by me. Learning the key terms of a story helps you to identify what will be successful and what perhaps might not. Learn to spot the patterns in different genres, the stylistic choices that are aimed at different audiences and understand the complexity behind plot/discourse and grammar; doing so gives a much firmer ground on which to build the foundations of a story.

 



 

 

Things to Do Before You Begin:

 

1. READ. Read, read and read some more. It doesn’t matter what it is, whether it’s your daily newspaper or one of the Twilight books; familiarise yourself with language - especially if English is not your mother-tongue. You’d be surprised how easy it is to pick up irregular conventions of writing through simply reading a book or picking up a magazine. We rarely speak in the same way that we write, so it is important to understand the intricacies of both forms of communication. This is also a great way to expand your vocabulary, come across new idiomatic phrases and is probably the best way to familiarise yourself with different genres.

Become a reader before you become a writer. If you can think as a reader, you will be much more successful as a writer.

2. PLAN. As my mother drilled into me over the exam season, ‘Failing to prepare is asking for failure.’ The same goes for a story. Planning is not the same as writing out an elaborate plot before you put pen to paper - or fingers to keyboard in our case. Planning is knowing what you intend to achieve from your story. Know what genre you plan to write. Know which characters you intend to use as a main cast. Know what kind of ending you want (Sad?/Happy? Etc). Know what your overall storyline will be and you will be able to avoid waffle and unnecessary filler chapters.

It seems obvious when I look back now, but a clear direction will make it much easier and enjoyable to write. And if you are enjoying yourself, your audience is much more likely to do the same.

3. KNOW YOURSELF. Find a writing style that you are comfortable with and then find a storyline that you will love to write. Love what you do! Don’t do it if you don’t love it. If you can sit down and write with a smile on your face, then you’ve taken the biggest step towards being successful as a writer. Only you have the knowledge to know if you’ll enjoy what you’re going to do, so be true to yourself and do what feels right.

Try and discover what your strengths and weaknesses are before you write - and be honest with yourself here. If you know you can’t write angst, then don’t do it. If you know you hate fluffy fics, then don’t write one. You have all the time in the world to develop your writing and refine your style, so why jump straight in at the deep end? When you are more confident in your writing, then you can start to move out of your comfort zone; but don’t force it. If you force yourself, then you won’t enjoy it and it will show in your writing.

4. LEARN YOUR WRITING STYLE. Find the techniques that you are effective at using; the ones that you understand fully how to employ. Knowing your writing style is similar to knowing your strengths and weaknesses, in the sense that it is an extension of yourself; but the most important thing to take away from this is that you should feel confident in your own skill. If you know that something sounds a little off, or a sentence doesn’t make sense; correct it. Follow your instincts because writing is always changing; it’s an art form, not a science.

 



 

 

Some questions that I had as a beginner and their answers:

 

Q. Does it matter how many subscribers I get?
A. The short answer is ‘no,’ and the long answer is ‘no.’ The number of subscribers you have is not an indication of how good of a writer you are, nor should it be seen as an excuse for competition between other authors. I see a lot of new writer’s losing faith in themselves because they haven’t got as many subscribers as they’d hoped for and subsequently they lose the drive to write. This should never become the case. Even when you have a few months of experience behind yourself, it shouldn’t dictate your writing. Write for yourself, because you enjoy. Do not let yourself get hung up on a number on a screen; it’s not worth it.

Popularity does not necessarily equate to quality, so don’t get down because of that number! It might sound a little dismissive, but once you have become established on the site and have found a following of readers, the views and comments will come. You have to give yourself time to properly connect and progress before you can expect the subs to roll in!

Q. I don’t have a poster, should I get one?
A. I you feel like it, but it is absolutely not necessary.  First impressions are important, but a visual impression will only last for a few seconds. Focussing on a poster to the point where writing is ignored is definitely not the way to go about beginning your story. Posters do not describe a story, neither do they cover up poor spelling or forgive for the lack of a forward.

First impressions are important, but your writing leaves a much more lasting impression than your graphics. How often have you got to the end of a fic and thought, ‘Wow that was an amazing ending, and the poster was great!”? I’ll wager not very often.

Q. I don’t really know if I’ll have the time to update every day, is that a problem?
A. Most certainly not. We write for enjoyment and to bring entertainment to others, so there’s no room for stressing over when your next update is coming. You are not getting paid for this, so there is no deadline due; as I have said previously, you should be writing for your own enjoyment and that cannot be achieved if you are constantly worrying about when you will have the time to write once more. The AFF community is, by and large, a very tolerant and understanding one. If you don’t update in a while, that’s fine! We understand! Everyone has lives outside of this website, so don’t feel pressured.

Write when you can, and when you feel up to it. If you have a writer’s block, that’s ok too! Take some time to really figure out what you’re going to do next and your writing will be guaranteed to be much more gripping. Take the time to write well and at your own pace. Writing in this way ensures that you put your best effort in, meaning your highest quality will come out.

 



 

I hope this has been somewhat helpful to you!

Leave me a comment if you have a specific question, or PM me, and I will be sure to respond in the next chapter. ^^

Next time I will be looking at Descriptions and Forwards.

Until then, happy writing!

~ Jessica

Heart.jpg