First Meeting

Witing Tresno Jalaran Soko Kulino

A nationwide audition was all Sehun needed to take Jongin back to dancing world.

                “ I’ll definitely screw you guys!” He exclaimed when Sehun showed him and the others the brochure with smirk decorated his face. His friends couldn’t care less, each of them’s confindent with their talents too. They went together with Moonkyu’s car a week later. 

              The audition was held on an open field with thousands excited teens filled up the place. Jongin’s stuck with his friends among them, all sweaty and .

                “ , it’s hot as hell,” Sehun pulled out his phone. No wonder. It’s thirty-three degrees thank you very much.  Jongin didn’t comment, he’s sure he’s melting under the burning sun. The line moved forward in snail speed. His vision began to go green and purple.

                   Fast forward an hour and half later, right after Sehun’s turn after his, Jongin’s was taken to hospital.

 

 

Jongin found himself laying on a comfortable bed with chilling air surrounding him when he woke up. Like déjà vu, he saw Kyungsoo the first.

               “ Your dance is breathtaking,” the floating boy said abruptly. Jongin smiled, he’s not the first one to tell him that but somehow it came out as different.

                “ Thank you.”

            A silence wrapped around them like any other times. Jongin watched Kyungsoo floating before the door as if waiting for someone. Questions suddenly came into Jongin’s brain.

                “ Kyungsoo,” it’s the first time he tried that name on his tongue and surprisingly, it felt right. The other boy immediately went beside him.

                “ You called me,” he smiled. “ What’s up?”

                “ Tell me everything  you know.”

                “ Oh. Oh, you fainted on the spot. The staffs brought you here. Your friends’re meeting your parents outside.”

                “ What are you doing?” Kyungsoo wrinkled his forehead. Jongin gestured his fingers. “ How do you know all of these? How did you watch me?”

                It took Kyungsoo a moment before replying. “ I was there.”

                “ For what? You followed me?” Jongin almost laughed at his own narcisstic question. Almost.

                “ No. I…. was supposed to be there, as contestant too, like you. But I can’t, can I?”

                “ You signed up for the audition?”

                “ For the first round. I passed it so they called me to attend this one too for second round.”

                “ What did you audition for?”

                “ Singing.”

                Jongin inhaled then exhaled. He raised his hand centimeters above the bed. “ Can you sing for me then?”

            It took Kyungsoo a second to be surprised at the sudden request but he sang anyway and Jongin thought his voice is breathtaking too.

 

 

 

Sehun hugged him tight the day he’s back to school, two days after the audition. He thought he’d never stop saying sorry to his ears.

                “ Goddamnit, Sehun, okay I get it you’re sorry. It’s not your fault though. Blame the burning weather.”

               For once Sehun kept silent. Or not just for that once. A month passed and Jongin missed his old jerk-faced BFF already.

 

 

               

 

               

                 “ I like you.”

              Jongin stood still on his spot. He could feel Sehun’s cold, trembling lips on his. He could feel his warm, salty tears rolling down his cheeks on his. But somehow at the same time, he could feel nothing.

 

 

 

 

Jongin ran all around the already quiet school building. “ Kyungsoo!” he called, vision blurred. The called boy appeared next to him out of the thin air, looking confused.

                “ Jongin? What’s up? You’re…crying.”

                The boy fell on his knees. He held his head, it hurt so bad. He himself didn’t know why he’s there instead of going home.

                “ Kyungsoo-“

              Kyungsoo reached out his hands only to see them penetrated through Jongin’s shoulder. He flinched. He should have known this, shouldn’t he?

               “ Jongin, you’re better going back home now. It’s already late- Jongin!” The boy lost his balance and let his body hit the dirty floor. Kyungsoo never felt more useless than that. He stayed there until he’s sure a janitor called an ambulance before he went to find Lu Han.

 

***

               

               “ I can’t help him,” Kyungsoo’s eyes were wide open. He’s shaking hard and the angel needed to hold his shoulder in order to calm him down.

                “ It’s not your fault. Even angels don’t always able to help people, son.” Lu Han hugged him. “ By the way, on the bright side, Kyungsoo, your life’s going to be back soon! We already took care of it with The Fates, so cheer up!” The angel’s eyes twinkled as he smiled cheekily.

                But Kyungsoo didn’t cheer up. He released himself and instead he took Lu Han’s hand.

                “ Can I ask you something?”

                “ Sure.”

                “ Can people give their lives to other people?”

                Lu Han’s bright smile overcastted into a frown. He tilted his head. “ But you won’t want to do it, Kyungsoo. No matter how nice you are-uh,” he waved his hands, ” no, you can’t do it.”

 

***

 

Jongin stayed in hospital for months. His friends came twice a week while Sehun visited him everyday, bringing him materials he just learned from school so Jongin’s not left behind.

                “ How ironic.” The older of the two abruptly said when the other’s busy doing homework.

                “ What?”

                “ You’re the one who said to me to not fall for you.” He grinned.

               Sehun shot him his dirtiest glare. “ I really have no idea how I can fall for person like you though, it’s not like I want it. Oh my God, just forget it.” He facepalmed. His cheeks’re blushing.

                “ I’m sorry.” Jongin mumbled. Sehun blinked his eyes.

             “ Oh goodness Jongin, it’s fine- I’m fine. Just forget it, I like the way we are now.” Sehun fanned his burning face with his hand.

                “ But you still like me in not-so-friendly-way, don’t you?”

                “ Ah, you.”

               “ Told you want.” Jongin’s grin stayed. Sehun rolled his eyes. His phone vibrated in his pocket not too long after, telling him it’s time to go home. 

                “ I’ll be here tomorrow. Goodnight,” he said as usual, switching off the main lamp before disappearing behind the door.

                A minute before another figure came into sight.

              “ You know, you two can just be Top Best Friends nominee and win the award.”  Unlike Sehun and everyone else who had other things to do, Kyungsoo’s free hence he could stay and accompany Jongin everytime. It gave both sides benefit since they couldn’t talk to anyone else. Not to mention Kyungsoo could help him with his study, he’s much better teacher than all of his teachers combined anyway.

                “ I should’ve had you as my tutor last year, Kim Jongdae’s not helping at all.” Jongin said, opening his History book.

             “ Oh? Oh? So you’re Jongdae’s student?” Jongin nodded. “ Ah, we should have met earlier then if only Kim Moonkyu’s scores were not worse than yours.”

              Jongin lifted his face. “ You’re Moonkyu’s tutor?” Kyungsoo nodded. Jongin rolled his eyes.“ Ah , no wonder he did fine last term! He got you!”

               “ He’s still doing fine, isn’t he?”

               “ Yeah, but not as good as last term. You’ll help me this year, won’t you? I need to surpass Taemin.”

               “ As in Lee Taemin?”

               “ You know him?”

               “ Course. He’s my neighbour. “

               A second before both bursted into laughter.“ Oh my goodness, actually we’re connected, aren’t we?”

 

 

Sehun almost slammed the door open. “ Jongin!” He exclaimed, made the called boy dropped his pencil.

                “ What the heck, Sehun?”

                “ You’re going to get your surgery tomorrow!” His voice’s loud, he didn’t know how to react, surprised, worried or what.

                “ Oh yeah, known that. So?”

                “ Nothing.” Sehun dragged a chair and sat beside his bed. His palms curled into fists.“ Only want to say fighting! You can pass this!”

                Jongin couldn’t help but laughing at Sehun’s serious expression. “ Okay.”

                “ Promise me.” Sehun put out his little finger.

                “ Promise you.” Jongin intertwined their fingers together.

 

 

             The surgery went smooth. Jongin’s back to school a week later. Sehun held a little comeback party at his house. All of their close friends came, bringing snacks and drinks.

                “ Kiddo!” Park Chanyeol crushed the boy in his long arms.

            “ Oh my, Chanyeol, he’s just out of hospital!” Byun Baekhyun slapped the tall boy’s back then shoved him aside to gave Jongin a light hug.

                “ How are you?”

              “ Never been better, you?” they walked to the kitchen. Chanyeol helped Jongin preparing the snacks while Baekhyun pouring the drinks. They could hear Taemin shouted from living room, telling them that the movie’s ready. Some’re lucky to get the couch, some’re sprawled on the carpet. As expected, Taemin chose a horror movie. Suddenly Jongin thought of Kyungsoo.

“ Park Chanyeol’s my cousin.”

                Jongin turned his head. “ Hyung,” he called the tall boy as the boring talking scene showed up.

                “ Mm?”

                “ You know Do Kyungsoo?”

                “ Of course, cousin of mine, why?

                “ Eh…nothing, nothing.” Jongin shook his head fast.

                Chanyeol eyed him for a moment. “ You know what?”

                “ No, you haven’t told me.”

                “ He’s the one who saved you.”

                Jongin arched his brows.“ Hmm?”

                “ You remember your car accident? He’s the one who saved you back then.”

 

***

 

Kyungsoo blinked his eyes, processing the information he just heard from Jongin into his brain.

                “ So you’re the one I saved back months ago… Oh my God, why do we only know this now?”

                Jongin shook his head exasperatedly. “ I can’t really. Too overwhelming. I even send you flowers at hospital! Heck our hospital’s the same building!”

                “ I…I don’t know what to say…”

                “ Same here.” 

                None let out a word. The bell rang broke the silence and Jongin went back to his class. Kyungsoo penetrated a tree as he stopped flying back and forth abruptly.

The one who should be here were the boy you saved before.”

                 For the very first time of his existence, he’s ed up.

 

***

 

                 Jongin held the front of shirt tight. His palms began to sweat.

              “ You’re not allowed yet to do anything which can caused high pulse rate such as watching horror movie or go to amusement park.”

                 He’s sure he’s doing neither of them.

                 “ Is there anything I can help you with?” The receptionist asked him kindly. Jongin inhaled then exhaled.

                 “ Yes. I want to visit Do Kyungsoo. Which room is he in?”

                 “ Room 512, east wing.”

                 “ Thanks.” Jongin lowered his head then walked off. His stomach twirled inside. He felt sick.

                It’s not hard to find the said room. It’s the first room right next to nurse office after all. Jongin counted to ten before turned the knob and entered. Lavender scent filled the room. Under the blanket, laid the touchable Do Kyungsoo, sleeping calmly like innocent kid without all those veins covered his face. Jongin held out his hand but his body jerked unknowingly at the sight.

                 “ Jongin!”

                 All of a sudden it’s so hard only to breath.

                 “ Kyungsoo-“

                 It’s all black.

 

 

 

           

            “ ing liar,” Sehun grabbed the doctor’s collar. “ You said he’s going to be all fine after the surgery! Look what happened!”

                “ Sehun-“

                “ off, Moonkyu, this liar need to-“

               A punch landed on his face. “ Calm the hell down, Sehun. You’re not helping at all.” Taemin dragged him to his seat. Sehun shrugged Taemin’s grip immediately after the doctor left. He made his way towards Jongin’s room, opening the door silently. The boy’s still unconscious. Sehun gripped the bed rail, tears welling up in his eyes.

               “ Don’t you dare to break your promise.”

 

***

 

               “ Kyungsoo? Why are you looking like that?”

               “ You-you know, what’s going on, don’t you? Jongin- he- I-“  

               Lu Han placed his palms on Kyungsoo cheeks and suddenly he felt slightly better.“ What’s up, son?”

              “ I know- I know, you’re taking Jongin’s life to give mine back, aren’t you? How can you do this?” Kyungsoo’s chest was stuffy. He didn’t know- he barely knew Jongin, they only met months ago and yet it’s this hurt imagining he couldn’t see his smile again once he woke up? Kyungsoo had no idea-what’s the point? What happened? Why?

                He didn’t get it.

                “ Because that’s what supposed to happen, Kyungsoo.”

                “ But this is too sudden…” his eyes were hot.

“ Jongin, Jongin!”

                Both heads snapped up to the nothingness. It took Kyungsoo no time before he disappeared, followed by Lu Han.

 

***

 

                Sehun remembered the first time he met Jongin. It’s years ago when both of them were still second grade elementaries. He moved to Jongin’s area right after his mother death and they became neighbour. Little Jongin’s bright and warm like spring sun, he welcomed Sehun with blinding smile and opened arms.

“ Hello! I’m Kim Jongin! My house is there, let me show you around!”

                At first, the latter only used him as substitute for his mother because heck- they’re so much alike. He clinged onto the older more than to his own father. They spent most of their time growing up together, people at the neighbourhood and school said that they’re like glue. Jongin would only laugh at that. Sehun didn’t mind at all. It’s not until eighth grade he began to like the term. And not until he saw Jongin with his first girlfriend he realized his own feeling towards the sun-kissed boy.

               

 

 

                 Sehun’s eyes snapped open as he felt something moved under his face. “ What-“ the entire bed was shaking. He lifted his head and found Jongin’s body jolted wildly.

                “ J-J-Jongin,” Sehun stood up clumsily, knocking down the chair. “ Jongin,” He called, taking his hand in his. “ What the hell- Jongin!” His other hand blindly looking for the bell wire. He smashed the button continuously until doctors and nurses eventually barging in and let himself dragged out.  

 

 

 

               When Jongin opened his eyes, he could say he’s disappointed to find a gloomy stranger with dark aura staring down at him. Jongin furrowed his brows, sitting his body up. It felt surprisingly light. Unknown force suddenly pushed him up, making him fly forward. No- he didn’t want to waste his time by being amazed. It’s been so long since the last time he felt so free. He ran as far and fast as his legs could take him and flipped around, opening his arms wide.

                He laughed.

                He danced.

                “ Hey,” the voice stopped him. He almost forget about the stranger existence.

                “ Sorry.”

                “ No problem. Are you happy?”

                “ Yeah. I miss dancing.”

                The stranger nodded in agreement. “ Your dancing is great.”

                “ Thanks. By the way, where are we? Who are you?” Jongin approached the stranger and sat in front of him.

                “ I’m Zitao. You can just call me Tao.”

                “ I’m Kim Jongin. Where are we?”

                The stranger didn’t answer. Instead he asked him to hold his hand. Jongin raised his brows but did it anyway and then they began to float.

                “ Oh , we’re flying!” Jongin held out his free hand. “ What’s this? Cotton candy? Cloud?”

                “ Cloud of course.”

                “ Where are we going?”

                “ You’ll see.”

                It’s obvious that the Tao guy didn’t want to tell him so Jongin kept silent. The higher they flew, he began to hear things.

                “ Please, I don’t care, I don’t need this…”

                “ You know the consequences, you can’t just give away your life like this-“

                “ I know, I’m okay, please, I beg you, let him alive…”

                “ Who’s that?” Jongin thought he knew that voice. It sounded so familiar. But whose?

                “ Just some other soul.”

                “ Oh.”

            They stopped floating somewhere, still surrounded by clouds but definitely times brighter than the previous place. Jongin blinked his eyes, adjusting it with the blinding light. Tao let go his hand. He walked towards a man in full white not too far, talking for a moment before the man turned his back and faced Jongin. The latter narrowed his eyes. He sworn he’d ever seen him before. But where?

                The man-boy took steps approaching  him. His eyes red- he looked like he’s just crying.

                 “ Hi,” he greeted.

                 “ Uh, hey,”  A part of Jongin told himself to spare the boy a friendly smile but he guessed it only turned out as creepy.

                 “ How are you?”

               “ Never been better.” Jongin scratched the back of his head. “ Eh, do I know you?” He tilted his head. “ Sorry, my brain’s not that bright. I feel like it though.”

                The boy shook his head. “ No, we’ve never met before. This is our first meeting.” He took a step closer. The boy’s watery eyes were huge and pretty. “ I know this is creepy, but can I hug you?”

                  If he had been other people, Jongin would have definitely shaken his head. “ Sure.” He let those arms wrapped around his waist.

                 

                  “ You can…see me?”

                 

                   “ I like your drawing.”

                   

                       “ Your dance is breathtaking.”

                    

                       “ Actually we’re connected, aren’t we?”

                  

                   Jongin stiffened. He couldn’t be wrong. He knew him-this boy. This is not their first meeting.

                   He let out a gasp as someone grab his ankle out of the blue, dragging him down. The boy let go of him.

                   “ Please continue to live well, Jongin-ah….I….”

               “ No-wait!” His arms flailing everywhere,  trying to grab everything to catch his fall. “ Help!” He looked up and saw the boy burst into petals.

 

 

 

                     When Jongin opened his eyes, they’re wet.

      “ ..I… love you.”