Encounters

Witing Tresno Jalaran Soko Kulino

Sehun leaned against the wall, waiting for Jongin to out of the teacher’s room.

                “ What is it?”

                “ Cleaning you,” Jongin said, dragging his feet to the hallway.

                “ No way. Cleaning toilet? Ew.” Sehun scrunched up his nose. Both boys spent their precious lunch break looking for Kim Moonkyu to copy answers from. By the time they’re finished, the bell rang and left the two poor boys with empty stomaches which went kroong-kroong for the rest of the periods. School’s over hours later, after the sun setting down makes the sky goes navy blue. Students flooded the gate in no time, waving hands to each other and , leaving Kim Jongin all alone with ugly mop in his hands and bucket next to his feet.

                “ Which toilet?” Sehun asked before going home.

                “ Third floor, east wing. “ Jongin raised his brows seeing Sehun literally cringed. “Why?”

                “ You haven’t heard? Oh my Jongin, where have you been?”

                “ In your heart, Sehunniee-” Jongin looked to his side and shivers slid along his nape although nothing’s there. He shook his head.

                This time Sehun’s the one arching his brows. “ What’s up?”

                “ Nothing.” Jongin lied. Something unwanted crept through his chest.

                “ By the way, watch out. “ Sehun lowered his voice. “Students said toilets in west wing are the most haunted. Especially the one on third floor.  Latest accident is a dead body found hung inside a cubicle three years ago.”

                Jongin tried to keep his face straight. No, he’s not scared. “ It’s just rumor. We’ve been in this school for  half of our lives. Nothing ever happened, we know it.”

                Sehun waved his hand.“ School tried to cover this. They renovated the toilet, that’s why it’s the best yet scariest toilet ever.” He grabbed Jongin’s arms, eyes sharp. “ Keep alive, okay? See you tomorrow.” As he turned to take the stairs, he could feel something cold grazing his bare neck. He gulped and sprinted out.

                Jongin’s ed up. His heart was thumping. The corridor lights were still on but another gazillion thanks for horror movies Lee Taemin had forced him to watch. He squatted, sinking his head into his arms. He cursed under his breath.

                “ Kim Jongin,” Jongin’s blood stop rushing in his veins. He lifted his face in slow motion and let out a relief sigh seeing it’s only his teacher. “ What are you doing here? Not going home? Oh, you’re on detention, aren’t you?” He nodded.

                “ Saem, is it true that there’s a student commited suicide here three years ago?” Sehun. Taemin. them and their ty rumor and movies.

                The teacher looked taken aback for a second. “ Who said that?”

                The boy’s silent for a moment.  “ Students.”

                “ No, no one ever done that in this school, Jongin. You’re not new here, you know this. C’mon, get up and complete your detention, you can go home after that.”

                Jongin reluctantly got up on his feet under his teacher’s eyes. He bowed then took his steps to the said place. He stopped at the door frame, eying the whole room. Not too big, only four cubicles and washbasins, he hoped it wouldn’t take long. He could do that. He’s not some . He decided to begin with cleaning the mirrors when a glimpse of something-someone hunched on a cubicle wall behind caught his freaking eyes. A very not-Jongin, high-pitched inhuman screamed slipped off his lips. He threw the poor mop across the toilet before dashing out of the cursed place in speed of light.

                Kim Jongin was absent the next day.     

 

 

“ .” An amused grin decorated Sehun’s face seeing Jongin the day after that, his eyes twinkled.

                “ you.”

                “ You wish.”

                “ You want.”

                “ Ew no. .”

                Jongin rolled his eyes. He’s not in the mood with the crap. He shrugged off Sehun’s arm from his shoulder, it’s heavy already, he didn’t need more weight.

                “ So you see him.” Even if Jongin didn’t want to, Sehun’d still know just about everything related to him.  His tone’s flat without any mockery intention but it really made the older boy wanted to punch his face. He shook his head.

                “ Later.” His chest still hurt until now. Sehun shrugged and took his usual spot. None let out a word until the third period came, Jongin passed out in the class after their teacher told him to answer a spell-like question on the blackboard.

 

 

 

The first thing Jongin saw when he opened his eyes was the thing he didn’t expect the most, he didn’t want to see the most. It’s the boy from before, the boy with too obvious veins all over his freakishly pale face and bloods dripping from his forehead, who was staring back at him. Or not. Because he didn’t even had pupils. Jongin shoved the blanket into his mouth to prevent himself from shrieking like es.

                “ You can….see me?” His voice was raspy. Jongin shook his head fast, shutting his eyes tight. He chanted prayer by heart like monks in temple, hoping all of this was only nightmare and by the time he opened his eyes again, nothing’s there. Reality was just cruel and heartless like his teacher. Damn it. The boy stayed there for ugly minutes before thank God, Jongin felt like kissing Sehun for barging in. He envied the younger boy for not being able to even sense the other boy.

                “ I thought you’re pretending.” Sehun finished his long ramble abruptly.

Jongin shook his head. “ Thanks.”

                Sehun raised his brow. “ What?”

                “ For everything.” For the milk, for bringing his bag, for saving him.

                Sehun rolled his eyes. “ Ew no, don’t look at me like that and don’t fall for me.”

                “ Sure, dear. Let’s go.”

 

 

 

Jongin finally thought he had found a peace. It could be the best week ever without anything disturbing if only his body didn’t hurt anywhere.

                “ You’re glued to that chair for too long. “ His mother said.

                “ You’re sleep deprived.” His father said.

                “ That’s because you like to delay doing your tasks hence they’re pilled up and force you to finish them in one night instead of seven days a week because you don’t want to fail any classes anymore.” Sehun babbled as if he didn’t do the same.  

                But again those all might be nonsense since he still felt damn tired even if he did nothing. He decided to skip gym class that day because it requires much energy he’d just collapse again. So there he was, laying under the big tree behind the cafeteria, feeling the sun warmth, the summer breeze caressing his skin. It’s been so long since the la-

                “ HOLY !” He shouted. His heart flipped and missed some beats.

                “ Wha-”

                “ NO! FU- YOU! WH-WHAT’S YOUR PROBLEM! GET THE OUT OF MY EYEEEES!” Jongin screamed hysterically like a mad man. He wanted to run and but his body , it’s petrified.

                “ Sorry I don’t mean to but you can see me?” The boy fortunately stayed still on his spot. Jongin’s eyes widened in complete horror as his eyes trailed down and found the fact the boy’s floating in the thin air.

                “ How I wish I couldn’t.” He mumbled.

                “ But you can,” the corner of the boy’s lips twitched. Jongin held his breath as he saw the movement, he expected the marble-like skin would crack and crumble but thankfully it didn’t or else he’s sure he could his pants.

 Tense silence fell upon them.

                Jongin inhaled and exhaled for times, trying to control his messy heartbeats back to normal pace. He couldn’t believe himself when he heard his own voice broke the silence. “ Okay, uh, well, so let’s be rational now, uh, is this some kind of reality show or something? Are you a part of drama club? Or what? How can- oh no, you’re the one who commited suicide, aren’t you?”

                “ No,” The boy chuckled.  Jongin cringed. The dripping blood changed into stream.

                “ I’m sorry b-but can you at least wipe the b-blood?” He whimpered.

                “ Blood?” The boy reached out his hands.

                “ No, no. Face. On your face.”

                The boy mumbled some ‘oh’s. He wiped the blood with the back of his hands. “ Has it gone?” Jongin merely nodded. “ By the way, I’m-“

                “ No, thanks,” he snapped unknowingly, waving his hands fast. He couldn’t care less with the boy’s feeling. He didn’t want to take risks by knowing something as absurd as this boy. He clasped his hands together.“ I’m really sorry, but please, please don’t show up in front of me again.”