001

Box Full Of Memories

 

The sweat dripped off the tan-skinned man’s chin, trickling down his neck. The white shirt started to stick on his body as he loosened his green tie. His breath’s came out in shallow pants with each step he took. It was hot outside the office, but it was even hotter outside. What was Kai thinking when he said he was going to step out for some cool air? The air was mucky and thick and there wasn’t a single breeze. Kai was desperate; he didn’t care if it was that store or not, he just needed to drink ice cold water before he passes out.

He looks up, sweeping his hair to the side and as soon as he saw the sign, he bolted right inside. Different bottles in all shapes and sizes sat on the surface of the pristine, brown table that sat in the center of the room. The room seems stuffy; counters were settled on all sides of the room, but hey-at least it’s air conditioned. Some bottles looked like old wine or whiskey bottles while some looked like ancient perfume bottles. The sunlight was the only light seeping in the room, the brightness reflected across the whole floor.

Kai inhaled an intoxicating aromas scent of incense; a mixture of roses and spices, maybe cinnamon. It was different from yesterday. He took a step into the room, the air of confidence circling around him, yet he shrieked when he heard the door close quickly behind him. It’s not like it’s his first time here, but every time he comes here he can’t help but stay alert.

Above him hanged a sign that read:

Open with caution.

A bold, black arrow was painted on the sign, pointing at the various objects below it. Like all the other counters stood trinkets from what seemed like all over the world. But what made these bottles different from the rest? Something about these objects could catch a person by surprise. They all seemed as if they formed in dreams. There was something magical about it and Kai couldn't keep himself back.

One can't possibly harm him.

Just one box can't hurt him.

He didn't bother to read the labels of the box that he snatched. It was as if the space it confined and where it was, the fabric, and the pattern of the box was imprinted in his mind. It was rather small compared to the others. The patterns seemed to tell a story from an old fable. The pictures were faded and the texture felt soft under Kai's touch. He lifted the top with all his might, throwing it to the ground far away from him. Kai inhaled the scent that wafted out of the box. It was heavy of sugar sprinkles and gingerbread. The laughter of children could be heard and the faint smell of burning kohl made his cheeks flush a bright hue of crimson red. The fresh smell of pinewood also drifted around him, wrapping around him as if to room him away from the rest of reality. Kai's shoulders drooped, relaxing into a hint of this memory. He clearly remembers this Christmas; it was a vision he loved the most out of everything else from his childhood. He heard a booming voice and was about to turn around in his illusion until a snap brought him back to the real world.

"That's enough," a firm voice spilled out of the tight corners of the owner's lips. The man wore royal blue robes bedazzled with moons and stars on the back. His hair was a mess of black waves, eyes half-lidded yet alert. The box was now closed shut, the man's hands on the edge of the lid.

"Kyungsoo, I-" Kai looked into the wizard's eyes with a pleading look. This was the second time the wizard saw him. Kyungsoo remembers telling Kai to never come again because some things are meant to be kept away from people.

"Get out." Before any more words could be shared between them, Kyungsoo pushed Kai out of the store, locking the door behind him and turning over the sign to closed.

Kai sighed. He thought that today was the day he could see it. 

"I'll be back," he smirked before turning his back to the store.

--

"You seem to be in a good mood, went to the store again?" Chanyeol's eyes scanned the younger from head to toe before making room for him to enter the house. It was rather small and compact, just the way Chanyeol liked it.

Kai nods, settling himself between the cushions that are piled on the floor. He switches the television on and channel surfs, his head resting on the palm of his hand.

"Want some tea?" Kai turns his head back and taps his finger on his chin. 

"Sure."

Kai's eyes blur and become unfocused as he lets his mind wonder back to this afternoon's events. He lets out a sigh between his plump lips, rolling onto his back so he was facing the ceiling. The ceiling is too white for him. It looks so untainted, so pure. Kai wished to himself that it would be covered with stains or holes.

"Get up, your tea is ready," Chanyeol kicks Kai's ribs and sets the tray of snacks and two cups of English tea between them. Kai still doesn't get how Chanyeol can get so addicted to this stuff. The aftertaste stays on his taste buds until the next day, regardless of the fact; he always drank it until there was no sign of it left.

Kai doesn't talk much. If he does it's usually a lewd comment or his honest opinion, which is almost the same thing. The only times he really talks is when he's forced to attend boring parties with boring people or when he comes across someone who amuses him. 

Chanyeol and Kai have known each other through work, although Kai doesn't attend it most of the time and crashes over at his curly haired friend's house (Kai loved how he took the spare key from Chanyeol) or takes long walks through allies, hoping to find interesting shops. That's when he found the store.

"You know you can't keep missing work. At least come to the meeting tomorrow, will you? It's pointless if the to-be president isn't there," Chanyeol takes a bite of his double chocolate scone, finishing it with a loud hum.

"I know, but it's just so boring. I'd rather make something worth of my time and go to different places. No matter how bizarre a place is," Kai pokes the air with his finger as if to declare his thought as pure justice. Chanyeol just laughs at his friend's remark, eyes turning into half-moons and his mouth becoming two times it’s normal size.

"If you want to travel, just go to the travel agency side of the company and ask to help write brochures or some ; that'll keep your daddy dearest on his toes." Kai just grins before popping another mini cupcake into his mouth. He loves the sugary sensation it creates on his mouth as he flicks the crème off little by little before sinking his teeth into the cupcake itself. It tastes like vanilla. It was sweet and it somewhat reminded him of the store. Kai keeps popping them in before his stomach churns around.

"Going back tomorrow?" His friend asks. Kai nodded, swallowing the bits of cake. His puffed out cheeks soon sized down to slim ones and he rubbed each one so the pain would go away. He hated it when his friend pinched them.

"Want to come?"

"Definitely."

--

Kai didn't know that Kyungsoo had an assistant. He was a cute assistant, too. His hair was a messy mop of brown. What was it with these shop workers and messy hair? Is there some sort of trend going on that even Kai didn't know about? He felt a little too formal with his slicked up hair and button-up white collar shirt. He quickly ed the two buttons and stretched his hands out for the same soft box. He patted the material and slowly opened the lid and inhaled in the warm aroma once again.

The lid was shut as soon as Kai heard the booming voice. His eyes opened to an angered Kyungsoo, fumes coming out of his nose.

"Why do you keep doing that?" Kai followed Kyungsoo behind the counter and leaned against the wall, his eyes trailing to his friend. Chanyeol was smiling with all his teeth showing, his deep laughter was produced from the back of his throat. Baekhyun smiled politely, pushing and pulling different pots and pans and cups of all sizes, setting it on top of the table one by one. He answered questions when asked and nodded most of the time. Baekhyun's actions reminded Kai of a lost puppy. His face just seemed so...lost.

"I told you yesterday," Kyungsoo slammed the drawer shut.

"I'm tired of that answer. I want to know why! Kyungsoo, why won’t you let me see it?" Kyungsoo froze up for a second, his cheeks flushing a deep scarlet color when he heard the younger say his name. He knew that Kai was only whining, but it sounded so y. He turned around, only turning towards Kai and dropping the utensils in his hands. They stayed close like this for a while. Kai’s hand on the curve of Kyungsoo’s hip and Kyungsoo’s hands on Kai’s chest. It was the older of the two who caused them to jolt out of their position. Kyungsoo coughed and started to pick up the spoons and forks he dropped, only bumping heads with Kai.

"Sorry, I'll wash these," Kai offered, holding up the silverware.

"It's alright, just put it in there. If this the way you treat people to get to know a reason, it's not going to help you." Kyungsoo pointed his fingers toward a bucket filled with a dark pink water that was swirling lazily. Kai swore he saw something flying around it and he thought he was going delusional; he also swore that he saw some golden dust floating inside and outside the bucket.

"Don't be scared, they don't bite," Kai looked up and saw Baekhyun smiling assuring to him, "They just help so that the dishes get cleaned." Kai raised an eyebrow.

"Those...bugs help clean?"

"They're not bugs, they're fairies."

"They seem like bugs."

"They' aren't bugs! They're fairies! Just put the silverware in there." Kyungsoo sighed, calming himself down before all the new silverware in his hands was going to fall out. Kai made a face and dropped the silverware in the bucket.

"I know it's weird, but these fairies like to help. Plus, it just means fewer work for us," Baekhyun whispered into Kai's ear as they both huddled around the bucket.

"Baekhyun, come with me!" Chanyeol felt a little scruffy and disorganized without Baekhyun. A whine come out of Baekhyun's mouth in objection, but Chanyeol only dragged him closer to him by pulling Baekhyun's arms. He didn't know why he did that. Chanyeol just met Baekhyun today, but he already felt so attached, as if they had met each other before.

Chanyeol also didn't like how close Baekhyun was with Kai.

--

Instead of robes, Kyungsoo was dressed in black from head to toe. All Kai did was whistle.

“Hot date?” Kai sneaked an arm around Kyungsoo’s waist, bringing him closer. Kai smirked for a while, enjoying the soft red tinge on the older’s cheek. Kyungsoo threw soft punches and pushes on Kai’s chest, only causing Kai to grip onto Kyungsoo harder.

“Just what are you doing here anyway?” Kyungsoo was baffled. He ran his hand through his messy hair, breathing upwards so that his hair would get out of his eyes.

“I’m here for the boxes,” Kai nudged towards the same box as yesterday, still keeping an arm around Kyungsoo’s waist.

“Well, hurry up. There’s a certain customer coming today and he needs my attention.”

“What?”

“You heard me. Scurry along after you’ve finished your business.” Kyungsoo walked to the back, slipping out of Kai’s arm and towards the staff-only zone. He lifted up the dark purple and blue drapes, disappearing from Kai’s sight.

Kai was puzzled at Kyungsoo’s attitude. Kyungsoo can’t possibly be going on a date, can he? Not that Kai’s denying the fact Kyungsoo couldn’t get a date because he’s a pretty hot number. Kai shook all sorts of imaginations from his mind. No, he was going to meet a customer. Customer meant business and it must be anything but a date. What exactly was this business anyway? Kai never thought about it. He hadn’t exactly asked the wizard what this store was for. The first time he came here, he just grabbed a hold of a box and inhaled in the scent before Kyungsoo could say anything. Kai hadn’t read the rules or labels.

He turned around on his heels and grabbed a hold of the small box. But before opening it, Kai crouched down and read the label in the small plastic tube placed in front of the box.

The Holiday Tale

Enter the majestic memory that is brightly lit in your mind.

Open with caution.

Now that he looked around the other labels that surrounded the boxes, all of them had a small description and the last three words written with neat penmanship.

He sat on the floor, placing the box next to him. He wondered why in the world it would say ‘open with caution’ when obviously holidays are supposed to be full of fun. It’s supposed to be composed of friends, family members, presents, and socializing. It’s supposed to be enjoyable, not something to be cautioned about.

“This is ridiculous,” Kai snarled while snatching the box and flipping the lid open. He inhaled the familiar scent once again, for the third time, and let himself wonder off to the memory edged on the deepest part of his mind. All the things weren’t vague to him when he inhaled the insides of the box. He tried to get himself to remember it earlier at work, but failed. He got ticked off. That’s how he ended up here on the floor, inhaling the scent once again in his million dollar pinstripe suit.

Kai was a kid again whenever he smelled the box. His ears were filled with his own eight year old voice and his sister’s voice. He smiled when he heard his grandmother calling from the kitchen and the smell of gingerbread wafted around his nose. The crackle of firewood could be heard from the other side of the house, paper crinkling against each other as his parent’s wrap present after present. Kai remembers all of that when he opens the box patterned with ancient drawings of fairy tales. Then he feels a presence behind him. He felt a hand on his shoulder and it almost felt real.

It was real.

“That’s enough, Kai. You need to go now, I have a customer,” Kyungsoo lifts his hand away from Kai’s shoulder, taking the box from Kai’s arms and placing it back to its original place. The customer had shaggy black hair. His arms were crossed in front of his chest and Kai felt like his soul was being dry from him. He felt as if his everything was being bared to the customer. Kai had never felt more than ever.

“Fine, but I’ll be back,” Kai hissed, dusting off dirt from his pants and not forgetting to give a threatening look to the black haired man. The guy released a small ‘hmph,’ at Kai before turning around, trotting to the back with Kyungsoo. Reality truly bites.

He shoved his hands into his dress pants, taking long strides towards curly hair’s house.

“Why are there so many ing shoes in this ing house?” Kai screeched out, knocking a few photo frames from the cabinet that stopped his way from entering the house.

“Well hello to you too,” Chanyeol peeked from the living room, sipping his daily cup of tea. Baekhyun jolted up from his nap, his head jerking from the younger’s lap and towards the noise.

“What was that?” Baekhyun asked in hushed tones, crouching smaller as if to disappear himself from the booming footsteps coming their way. He huddled into the blanket and peeked out.

“It’s only Prince Kai and his famous tantrum,” Chanyeol laughed at Baekhyun’s childish act, “Don’t worry love, you’ll be fine.” Baekhyun purred as Chanyeol caressed his love’s cheek with the back of his palm before pinching his nose in a cute matter.

“Don’t touch me,” Baekhyun pouted.

“Don’t touch me,” Kai snarled, kicking his feet so that Chanyeol’s hand would stop grabbing it.

“What is it this time? You’re not like that unless someone ticks you off,” Chanyeol reaches out for a biscuit, but takes his hand back, rubbing his hand in a loving manner.

“Ow, that hurt.”

“Tough love,” Kai murmurs, “What is that?” He nudges his chin towards the big lump underneath a pile of blankets. Soon enough, his eyes grow larger as the lump miniaturizes.

“It’s a cat,” the curly haired boy pulls out a small brown cat that was clawing thin air. It mewled in frustration and growled a bit when Kai moved his own face closer to it.

“Kai, you’re scaring Baekhyun,” Chanyeol said over the hissing Baekhyun. He glared at his friend, who was pouting, and started to pet the soft, dark brown fur. The cat purred in response, stretching out his back and not minding being held. After all, as long as it was Chanyeol he didn’t really mind.

“Did you just say Baekhyun? The Baekhyun from the store Baekhyun?” Kai’s eyes popped open, sliding onto his side and letting his arms fall to the floor. His fingers played with the fuzzy carpet, lacing the furry fabric between his fingers.

“Yes the Baekhyun from the store Baekhyun. Someone’s a genius.”

“Why is he even here?” Chanyeol couldn’t understand how someone who just saw a human become a cat would ask why Baekhyun was here, not why (or how) Baekhyun was a cat.

“Does it matter?”

“Yes.”

“As a matter of fact, Baekhyun and I ran into each other at the store so I invited him for some tea.”

“That’s it? No juicy backstory or some sort of affair?”

“Yes, there is not backstory and we’re certainly not having an affair!” Chanyeol’s gaze was filled with so much fiery it could literally drill thousands of holes into Kai’s face. Kai’s face was still stone cold and not amused. He only turned his back on them and stared out the window.

“Going back to the store tomorrow?” Kai grunted in response.

“I’m coming with you again. And go home soon, please?”

“You just want to come so you can eat Kyungsoo’s famous pasta.”

“Well as a matter of fact, I would like to eat some of Kyungsoo’s famous pasta,” Chanyeol proclaimed. He took his words back as soon as Baekhyun clawed his legs.

--

Business was boring. Kai would rather spend his days back at college, gazing into the white board filled with all sorts of information about money and economics rather than a pointless idea that was supposedly the “new trend of the century.” His thoughts soon drifted over to the box-filled store. Everyone knew that the president-to-be wasn’t the ideal president for any type of company (glossy stares, chair swinging, never answering questions or saying feedback), yet no one said a word. They only tried to translate the thoughts of Kai to the poor fellow in front of the crowd.

Rather than complaining and talking to him about his behavior, the workers left the conference room with Kai swiveling in his brown, cushion chair. It wasn’t until about an hour’s worth of finger tapping and eye wondering that the secretary came in to talk to him about his next schedule.

“Sir, your twelve o’clock is coming and I personally advise that you stay for this one,” Chen, his father’s personal assistant slash secretary came walking into the room, not bothering to knock.

“Why should I even bother? All of this petty talk about traveling and cuisine has made me hungry,” Kai rubbed his stomach while yawning out his sentence.

“Sir, I advise you-“

“Chen, I know a marvelous place to go eat. Care to join me?”

Kyungsoo hadn’t believed what Kai said when he came into the store. He was about to leave for some high business meeting (the president saw the store in a magazine and wanted to try out some of the food) when the younger came marching in with a poor man being dragged behind him. Both of them wore jet black suits, except Kai wore a white V-neck instead of a dress shirt. He had to admit, Kai looked pretty good; that didn’t stop Kyungsoo from flaring his nostrils and tossing a few punches on the younger’s head.

“I’m sorry, but I was so hungry and I just wanted to eat more of your food,” Kai leaned on the counter, his head resting on his hands as his elbows rested on the top of the counter. Chen, on the other hand, sat on the chair as he typed reports about the store.

“Sorry doesn’t cut it, bum. I had to call the guy, apologize, and reschedule the whole meeting. What if they think I’m some idiot who doesn’t think business is important to me? Business is important to me, my family, Baekhyun, and everything else. I’m the first one out of my family to step out of the realm and-“ Kyungsoo stopped speaking when he realized what he was saying. It wasn’t part of the plan to speak about his own history to people he didn’t barely know or to anyone at all. The only person who’s supposed to know is Baekhyun, but that’s because he’s a shifter and he understands what Kyungsoo had to go through in order to get here. However, Kai came into the store the day he was teleporting from his realm to this realm. He could’ve altered Kai’s memories, but he couldn’t find the heart to. Something about him called for his help and Kyungsoo can’t ignore a person’s cry for help.

“Kyungsoo,” Kai went closer to Kyungsoo so that his chin was on the older’s shoulder, “Hush and just relax, everything’s going to be just fine.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah.”

Besides the snarky comments that were being thrown back and forth between the two, lunch was great. Chen wouldn’t call the comments snarky though; to him Kyungsoo and Kai seemed like an old married couple as they bickered and bickered. It was rather entertaining for him. With a few final touches on the document, Chen closed the laptop shut and brought Kai to his feet by pulling his arm up.

“It looks like I’m done with my report so I’ll be taking Kai along with me back to the office,” Chen bowed and started to bring Kai along with him as he walked to the door.

“Office? I don’t remember scheduling any type of meeting,” Kyungsoo’s seemed like a deer caught in head lights, but he didn’t receive any explanation.

“Just look out for a phone call in a couple of days.”

--

Apparently, ‘a couple of days’ translated to ‘the next day’ in Chen lango.

“Hey, have any plans tonight? Because I am offering a once in a life time offer of going on a date with moi,” the voice sounded greasy and Kyungsoo had no idea who would sound like that via the phone. He knew that the friends in his other realm would simply teleport themselves in front of him or call through a crystal ball and he didn’t remember ever giving out his number.

“I don’t have time for any prank calls,” Kyungsoo sighed, “If you have no business with this store, I’ll be hanging up-“

“Hold on, it’s me Kai.” Kyungsoo groaned. He certainly never gave Kai his phone number.

“I know you’re thinking how the hell does Kai have my number? Well, if you haven’t realized this by now, I am the president-to-be of the company that you are going to have a meeting with! I’ll see you in thirty minutes.”

So here he was in his usual attire: a crisp, iron-pressed white button up shirt with all the buttons buttoned, black dress pants, and black shoes while Kai was wearing a sleeveless shirt and some comfortable sweats. The two were sitting in Kyungsoo’s magical café that has different effects on everyone. Some calmed down and some felt loved. People adored looking at the different objects that were spread out on counters all around the room. Some dared to open it, sniffing or looking inside. Most of them were prancing about, happy as a bee, while others may mourn over whatever it was they saw. Others take pictures of it. Pictures so that they can have the memories engraved on a photograph that’ll probably get lost throughout the years.

“So what’s with this café? Is it a restaurant or a therapy house?”

“Both.”

“Why?”

“Because it is, okay? If you’re not going to ask any good questions, I’m going to have to ask you to leave. I had to close the store for this,” Kyungsoo snapped, his eyes filled with rage. Kai, taken back with the sudden weave of anger, laughed about.

“Why is it that you’re always angry whenever I come along? You’re always nice to Baekhyun and Chanyeol, even that one guy you called a client!”

“Baekhyun’s my friend and Chanyeol was…is a special person to Baekhyun. The client was a customer so I had to be nice.”

“What does that make me?”

“A guy Kyungsoo likes!” Baekhyun stood on his knees, fingers tapping the edge of the table as he looked back and forth between Kai and his friend. Clearly, he was trying to do something about this thing he thought was called ‘.’

“Baekhyun!” Kyungsoo hissed out, turning beet red. He flicked the shifter’s forehead, which in return, snarled and puffed into his animal form.

“Get back here, Baekhyun! You’re not going to get away with this, no food for you today or tomorrow!” Kyungsoo punched the air with his fist, shouting out to his so-called best friend.

“Hyung if you’re not going to feed Baekhyun, can I bring him home?” Kyungsoo jumped when he heard the deep voice in his ear.

“Hyung?”

“Yeah, go ahead Chanyeol. Do as you please, but do not bring him back home after you’ve, you know,” Kyungsoo squirmed, not wanting to say the rest. His eyes darted, flickering towards Kai. He never knew that he’d find Kai the only other sane person in this joint.

“Like what you see?” Kyungsoo took the sanity thought back.

            “Oh be quiet,” Kyungsoo waves a hand of dismissal to Chanyeol who yelped out a silent ‘Yippee!” and ran towards his kitty cat that disappeared to the back. The two stayed silent as if absorbing the sound of the wind chimes that tinkered in the room and the ticking of the old clock that seemed to blend in with the wall even though Kyungsoo bought it yesterday

“So, you like me?” Kyungsoo spit out his ice cold tea, the contents going all over him and the table. Kai laughed while Kyungsoo muttered a sorry.

“You should be sorry. If you keep being so cute, I don’t think I’ll be able to contain myself,” Kai said it casually, like it was a line he memorized for a drama. He took the napkins from the metal container and started to spread it out on the table. Kyungsoo closed his mouth and tried to think of cool things, like the water that rushes in front of his summer home back in the realm, while taking some napkins out also and wiping around it.

The two stopped for a brief second when their hands touched. Kyungsoo gasped a little too loudly and Kai must’ve noticed the sudden change in Kyungsoo. He was being more sensitive and he seemed so…so nervous. Kai had to do something while he had the chance. Someone like Kyungsoo was never going to bring their front down unless it’s a time like this. Kai lifted Kyungsoo’s chin, cupping his face with his hands. He touched the delicate cheeks of the older’s with his thumb, caressing it back and forth.

“Just wha-“ Kyungsoo couldn’t finish his sentence because Kai started to kiss him on his lips. To his surprise, Kai tasted bittersweet, maybe a bit nostalgic. The feeling was familiar, and it overwhelmed Kyungsoo. It was bittersweet like the autumn air that was beginning to sweep the streets of Seoul. Neither Kyungsoo nor Kai wanted to back down from the kiss. The two were panting hard once their lips separated. Their foreheads pressed together and Kai smiled childishly as if he had gotten the best present he could ask for while Kyungsoo’s whole face was flushed into a bright red color.

“Hey, hey! Kyungsoo, I asked for some cloth napkins. The paper ones aren’t doing any good,” Kyungsoo snapped from his daydream, facing Kai who had napkins dripping with tea. The two were still at the table, no kissing or hands touching.

“Oh, sorry. I’ll get them right away. Put those on the table and go sit over there; I’ll take care of this.”

--

Kyungsoo wasn’t a person who could hide his sad emotions. He was different from Kai. Kai was a ball of energy, a mix of cool and hot. Kyungsoo was just ice cold.

Whenever Kyungsoo saw Kai, he knew that he had to put up a front with the younger present. He just had to.  Kyungsoo wasn’t one who was willing to bring out his inner emotion out; that’s just how he was raised. As a young wizard, his masters would tell him to never let the emotions get the better of him or else it’ll get to the magic. Falling in love was somewhat forbidden to him. Kyungsoo held the power of the café and if he wasn’t able to keep his feelings bottled up, the whole place was going to collapse. He felt as if that pestering man sitting on the floor with all the boxes spread open in front of him was going to make his whole world tumble down into shreds. Kyungsoo flicked his wrist back and forth, watching the napkin in his fingers move along with the movement. He wasn’t exactly looking at the napkin though, he was looking past it. Kyungsoo stared at Kai. Kai’s broad back looked so homey and Kyungsoo’s body itched to be beside it. Back to back; skin to skin. Kyungsoo wishes that he was more like Kai. Warm and happy and making people laugh at the smallest of things. Whenever he tried to do something like that, Baekhyun laughed a little and then made fun of him for being awkward.

“Kyungsoo?” Kai held a box in both hands as he walked over with his long legs that were covered in pajamas. Right, Kai stayed over last night after the meeting because it was already dark by the time they stopped chatting. Kyungsoo couldn’t believe that he was able to hold a conversation for that long. He hummed in reply as he turned around to look busy. The box was pink, red hearts decorated in glitter and white stripes all around it. There was a huge pale ribbon stuck on the lid. Kyungsoo hated that box. It’s such an emotional box that he hates it with all his heart. He doesn’t know why he kept it around. His mind tampers around, remembering how he threw it away before and then thrown right back at him from the ceiling with a note from the mentor. Something about how this box is essential and if he tries to throw this out again, he will no longer be in business.

“Kyungsoo,” Kai poked the older’s arm with the box’s corner, earning a small squeal. Kyungsoo glared back, causing Kai to smile just a tiny bit while putting one arm around his neck. He could feel the black sweater’s fabric touch his bare neck. It was Kyungsoo’s favorite sweater; why did he let the younger borrow it?

“What?” Kyungsoo answered, lingering on the vowel a little too long. He placed the napkin on the counter and pulled himself on top of it so that he was just a tad taller than Kai. Kai pouted at the difference, bringing the box in front of Kyungsoo.

“Can you show me your memory?”

“I don’t want to.”

“Is it because you can’t?”

“It’s because I don’t want to.”

“Please, just this once!” Kai took a hold of Kyungsoo’s hands, squeezing it tightly as he looked into his dark orbs. Kai’s eyes were pleading him to show him a memory that’ll appear when Kyungsoo held the box. But Kyungsoo didn’t want to show any memory for that box.

“Fine, but don’t be surprised.” Kyungsoo took a hold of the box in one hand, the other side held by Kai, and the two breathed in the contents at the same time.

“Kyungsoo?” Kai opened his eyes. His right eyebrow rose up.

“I told you to not be surprised.”

Kyungsoo didn’t want to show anything because he had no memories of love.

--

Summer turned into fall and fall was quickly slipping by into colder weather. The town was decorated in bright lights, shops adorned signs of celebrating the joys of Christmas, and the ground was covered in heaps of snow. Kyungsoo tugged on the sleeves of his turtleneck as he stared at the client in front of him.

“So, it’s been a while,” Kai finally spoke, leaning on the table. His black leather jacket hanged on the chair and the black sweater he was ‘given’ (Kyungsoo liked to call it stealing) from Kyungsoo when he slept over showed too much skin for Kyungsoo’s liking. There were nips and red marks on Kai’s collarbone. Kyungsoo didn’t like that.

“What do you want?” Kyungsoo scoffed. He stared at his dirty nails that resulted from moving furniture and washing dishes. The ring on his finger was still silver, a little rusted, but still shining brightly. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at the ring, wondering why in the world he still had it on.

“I want to talk.”

“About what?”

“About what happened.”

“There’s nothing to talk about.”

“Yes, there is,” Kai stood up as his palms hit table a little too hard. The silver ring on his finger scraped the table, causing a small screech. The pain stung, but Kai didn’t care. If his relationship with the wizard was in jeopardy, he was going to do anything to fix it.

“No, there isn’t. I saw you with some other man, it was bound to happen. Just because we’re in a relationship never meant that I was going to kiss you or anything; it just meant that two people who loved each other are together. If that isn’t enough for you, then I suggest that you move on from this.”

Kyungsoo tossed the ring on the ground, letting the sound echo around the room.

“Looking at those marks on your neck, I’m thinking that you have moved on,” Kyungsoo sneered before turning towards the staff only room.

Kai took in a sharp breath, picked up the ring, and let it slide on the same finger his silver ring was on. He went over to the boxes.

“It’s been a while,” he chuckled, touching the soft edges of the box. The Holiday Tale. Kai looked left and right to look for anyone coming his way. He thought it was childish of him to do that, but he didn’t want to get caught this time. He placed the lid on the counter after being satisfied that no one was going to come his way. Kai inhaled the familiar scent of gingerbread, the laughter filling his mind once again, and he soon met up with the part where a hand was patting his shoulder.

“Kai,” the calm, deep voice washed over all the other sounds.

“Kai,” it repeated once again, “I want you to know that I love you.”

“Dad,” his childhood-self spoke. It was weird seeing himself as a child again.

“Kai, I love you so much,” His dad pulled him into a warm hug. The faint smell of firewood enveloped his senses as he put his small, stubby arms around his dad.

“Kai, I…I don’t know if I can stay any longer, but I just want you to look out for all of your siblings and your mother, okay? Be nice to her and be obedient and don’t be selfish. You have to be the man of the house from now on,” the laughter was somber and the voice was started to fade with ‘I love you.’

“Dad?” At that time, Kai hadn’t understood what he meant for he was still a child.

“Dad? Dad? Dad! Da-“

“Kai, it’s time to wake up.”

Kai’s eyes shot open. His hair stuck to his forehead from all the sweat that was produced. His body jerked up, but soon went down due to the pain that occurred from hitting his head into Kyungsoo’s. The older only shook his head, trying to hide the grin that was forming across his face. He pulled the covers over Kai and sat on the edge of the bed.

“What time is it?”

“It’s past six.”

“I should go.”

“Just stay for the night, I don’t want you to be going out.”

“It’s only six.”

“You’re sick and you have a pretty high fever. I advise that you stay over unless you want the flu,” Kyungsoo pushed Kai down on the bed. He was about to protest, but a sigh of relief escaped from his lips.

“Better?”

“Very,” Kai’s eyes closed shut and let the silence wash over him. It wasn’t that awkward between the two, it was more comforting than that. Kai couldn’t believe the mess he made. He was stupid and drunk at the time; he was being a stupid drunk.

“Sorry, about everything. I really mean it. Kyungsoo, I want us to work. I want us to start over.”

“Kai, I want us to work too,” Kyungsoo slumped on the bedpost, letting his head roll back so he could see the ceiling, “But I’ve been through things like this and the outcome is always unpredictable. I know that you want things and I want things, but I’m just not ready. What you did was wrong though, you know?” Kyungsoo looked over to the younger.

“I’ll pay you back.”

“Pay?”

“I meant I’ll do anything in order to gain your forgiveness,” Kai rolled out of bed, tumbling into Kyungsoo’s body. He straddled himself on the older, letting their foreheads touch. Kyungsoo could feel Kai’s steady breathing and his beady, brown eyes darting straight into his.

“Is your forehead okay?” Kyungsoo nodded at the question, being breathless from the beauty that was right in front of him. He had no idea how Kai wanted someone like him, someone like Kai shouldn’t be with someone who was so bland.

“I want you and only you. I love you,” Kai put his lips on Kyungsoo’s, who gladly opened his mouth a little more so that Kai could taste him more. It wasn’t until Kyungsoo tugged on Kai’s sweater that Kai let go of the kiss.

“Kai, get in bed, you’re sick.”

--

            Falling in love is taboo. Kyungsoo knows that. Every wizard who steps foot on Earth knows that. He couldn’t help himself from tangling himself in this web created by secret glances and pecks on the cheek. It wasn’t long until his mentor appeared in front of him.

            “I thought I told you to understand your place,” his voice boomed throughout the store. Each word echoed in Kyungsoo’s mind and soon enough, there were bells ringing in his head as a sign of danger. Kyungsoo stayed silent, letting the mentor lash his anger out.

            “I guess sending Tao here ever month to check on you wasn’t enough.”

            “You were sending him? I thought he came to visit me!” The mentor clicked his tongue in reply, rolling his eyes in the process.

            “Do you really think between his wushu, teaching, studying, and being my servant gives him any spare time? I made this an assignment for him; you should be thankful.” Kyungsoo was bewildered. He can’t believe the words sprouting out of his mentor’s mouth. Yes, Kris is known for his wacky ways and out-of-the-world tactics to create strong and powerful wizards, however, he didn’t know Kris would go this far.

            “Do you hear the nonsense you’re saying? Tao is your servant? Last time I checked, you two were more than master and servant.”

            “Enough, you cannot defy your mentor.”

            “In what way am I defying my mentor? What if I don’t want you as my mentor?”

            “Then you are to be sent back to the realm to serve me for one hundred years. How’s that sound for a punishment?” Kyungsoo groaned. He was tired and he wanted to go back to bed and cuddle with Kai.

            “If you don’t get rid of this human in the next month, you are done for. When I hear another report from Tao about this vile creature, I will personally come and take care of it.”

            With a snap of his fingers, Kris disappeared into thin air and Kyungsoo starts to wonder why his mentor is this grouch when he could’ve asked Suho, who was nicer and considerate, than Kris. He was desperate at the time, though, and Suho was too busy being bustled by ridiculous requests like make new spells or solve this problem-sometimes he even had to fill in holiday wizard roles like Cupid. Speaking of Cupid, it’s already Valentine’s Day and it’s another year without a lover. Of course, Baekhyun would like to object, but Kyungsoo would never ask his opinions.

            He stayed planted on the carpeted floor with intricate designs of symbols and shapes which had special stories on how it became to be named this way. His grandmother gave it to him before he entered this realm; Kyungsoo remembers it as if it happened yesterday. He misses her. He misses his family. His family is here now, though, and he can’t return just yet. He can’t return until the jar is completely full of hearts. He looks to his side to find Kai fast asleep. Kyungsoo can’t help but smile at the sight of Kai looking so peaceful and calm, unlike how he usually is with his poker face and y smirks. Did Kyungsoo just say y smirk?

            “Kyungsoo,” the younger one called out, groaning as he turned his body towards said man.

            “Kyungsoo, come back to bed,” and hearing those words makes Kyungsoo’s heart beat even faster.

A/N: So I know I deleted the past chapters, but the deal is this: I rewrote a few things (and added a few things) and I'm satisfied with it so far. Part 002 shall be up in about a month or so...until then, enjoy:)