All Those Memories

All Those Memories

Transfering schools were pretty annoying.  I had to leave my friends from my old one; that was for sure.  Then I had a whole new stack of supplies, since the new school used different ones from the old one.  I had different classes that probably was ahead of me, and then...new teachers.  I hate new teachers.  I hate how the younger female teachers would try to flirt with me.  They weren't even pretty.  They were way too old for my liking; I didn't date "noona"s.  Or, actually, I didn't date girls.  I didn't date guys, either.  My heart was taken by one person, and that person...probably hated my guts.

I met him when we were five.  He came up to me and forcefully dragged me to the park to play with some of the other kids.  I was pretty anti-social, even at age five, and so when he took me to the park, I just stood there awkwardly while the other kids played and yelled.  I was about to leave when a hand caught mine, and that boy was there again, smiling at me, telling me to go on teh swings, and that he'd push me.  So I just reluctantly obeyed - his sparkling eyes was hard to say "no" to.  He pushed me up so high that it should have been scary, but I was laughing and telling him to push me higher.  When we finally stopped playing, he took me home, and then pinky promised me, saying that he would be my best friend forever, and that we'd never be seperated.

I broke that promise six years ago, when I left for Oregon, America.  

I begged, I cried, I listened.  I listened to my parets' excuses.  I cried every day, not wanting to leave my best friend.  I begged my parents, trying to convince them to let me stay in Korea.  But they refused, saying that I was being disrespectful by not wanting to spend time with my family.  I didn't know what to do, and I never told anyone about myself moving.  I slowly started locking myself away from the world.  I left without a trace, no one knowing where I disappeared to.  

I left without saying good-bye.  I left, leaving a deep scar in my best friend's heart.

Now, back in Korea, and in my new school, I was just walking down the hall to my next class when someone crashed into me.  My papers flew everywhere, and so did his.  My binder fell on the floor, and its contents spilled out, too.  Just my luck.

Muttering a curse word in English, I started gathering random bits of paper, slowly seperating the ones with my name on it.  Then I read his name - Lee Chanhee.  Lee Chanhee.

Lee.  Chanhee.

That name repeated itself over and over in my head as I handed the other boy his papers in a daze.  Then I looked at him.

It was him.  The boy I had to leave that day when I left for America.  He had grown taller now, taller than me.  He still looked the same otherwise...but why wouldn't he look at me?  

He handed me my papers without looking up and then got up and left, leaving me just staring after him.  When I snapped out of it, the bell had rung.  I was late for my next class.

Just my luck.

After that class, I noticed that there was a piece of paper within my binder that didn't belong to me.  I checked the name, and sure enough, it was Chanhee's.  As I left the classroom, I ran into Chanhee again.  This time it was a slight bump of the shoulders, and he apologized quickly and tried to leave, but I caught his wrist before he did.  

"This is yours, I think," I said, holding out the piece of paper to him.  

Chanhee looked up and into my eyes before smiling gently.  "Thank you."

I smiled back.  "Hey, um...Chanhee?" I said cautiously.  "I...do you remember me?"

He stared at me blankly.  "What?"

"Um...it's Byunghun.  That awkward kid from kindergarten.  The anti-social one.  The one who you took to the park and promised to be best friends with?"  I had a bad feeling about where this conversation was going, but...I had to try, right?

He smiled at me, seeming confused.  "Um, I'm sorry, but...I don't know anyone by the name of 'Byunghun'.  But...thanks for the paper."  With that, he left abruptly, meeting up with another boy on the way and laughing happily, his back turned to me.

I felt myself being ripped in half.  I sighed, balling my hand into a fist, and walked to my next class, which turned out to be math.  I had a headache now, and I hated numbers.

Just.  My.  Luck.

*~*~*

The next day, I didn't feel like going to school, so I decided to skip it.  I went to a coffee shop and bought a cup of black coffee.  I then went to the park, and realized that it was the one that Chanhee had taken me to that day when we were five.  I didn't know why, but it felt like someone had just punched me in the face.  I dropped my coffee and it spilled all over the ground, on my shoes, and a bit got on the bottom of my uniform pants.  I shook my head, blinking back the tears, and then slowly walked to the swings, running my hand down the chains that hung the seat from the metal poles.  A bitter smile tugged at my lips and I laughed; for what reason, I didn't know.  Then a tear fell from my eyes, wetting my cheeks, and I sat down on the swing, crying.

Why didn't he remember me?  I thought we were best friends....  I ran a hand through my hair, messing it up, trying to calm myself.  I bit my lip and then looked up when I heard someone coming my way.  I wiped my eyes quickly and then looked down again, hiding my blotchy, wet cheeks.  Whoever that person was sat down in the seat next to me, and I noticed that he was someone from my school, since he wore the same pants as me.

"You're Byunghun hyung, right?" a light voice said.  

I looked up, sniffing a little.  "Yeah, who are you?" I asked, using my thumb to wipe away the excess tears.

The other boy smiled at me.  "I'm Ahn Daniel, but I prefer to be called Niel," he replied.  I noticed him as the boy who Chanhee had started laughing with the other day.  "Chanhee hyung was looking for you today.  You guys know each other or something?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.  He sounded a bit disrespectful, but I ignored it, knowing that people tended to speak to me that way for some reason.

"Mm...I guess," I replied, staring off into space.

"Hmm...well, once last year, he was talking about someone who he really loved and missed coming back to Korea," Niel started.  His voice sounded light and playful, like he was making a joke or something.  But then his tone turned serious when he said, "I think that person is you, Byunghun hyung."

I looked at him, doubtful.  "Pfft, me?  Why would it be me?" I asked, leaning back.  "I just met him yesterday...."  I trailed off when I saw the look in Niel's eyes.  "What?"

"Stop joking, Byunghun hyung," he growled.  "I know it's you."

I stared at him.  I didn't know what to say.

"I know Chanhee hyung enough to know these stuff.  I went to his house once; I accidentally knocked over a trash can.  There was a shattered picture frame of you and him in it."  He smiled softly.  "Do you know how happy you two looked?  You guys could've been a couple, you know?  I think...you should go apologize for whatever you did to him, hyung.  He really loves you."

"Niel...as much as I'd love to...."  I swallowed hard, closing my eyes and forcing back the tears.  "He's...he said he doesn't remember me.  If all of what you said is true, then he...doesn't want me to be with him anymore.  He wants to be left alone.  And if he wishes for that...I'll stay away from him.  As he wishes."

"But hyung...," Niel started.  I cut him off with a glare.

"I hurt him enough already.  I'm not going to ignore his feelings and hurt him again," I snapped.

Then I stood up, leaving Niel sitting there on the swing.  I didn't really have anywhere to go, so I decided to go to school.

And on the way...guess what?

Yep.

I bumped into Chanhee again.  

I mumbled an apology and was about to leave, but he grabbed my wrist.  My heart skipped a beat and I turned to him warily.  I didn't feel like talking to anyone, but of course, Chanhee just had to talk.

"Byunghun, have you seen Niel?  He's about this tall...," he started, panic clearly shown in his eyes.

"He's at the park," I replied before he could finish.  I jerked my hand out of my grasp before he could say anything else and walked away, not turning back even though he called my name.

Things were just getting worse, and it was all because of me.  But who cares?  I was tired of getting hurt.  I was tired of hurting people.  I was just tired of everything.

*~*~*

"Good morning, hyung~!" Niel shouted at me, running up and hugging me.

"Morning, kiddo," I replied, laughing.  Niel and I had actually somehow grown fairly close with each other.  Well, actually, he was just randomly following me around, and so we kind of just...grew on each other.  He was a good kid, anyways.  One year younger than me, sometimes weird and stupid, but funny and intelligent other times.

And natrually, Chanhee and I had to talk, too, since Niel and Chanhee were best friends.

"Morning, Chanhee," I said, looking back at the other boy.  

He smiled at me and said, "Good morning."

"Come on, let's go to class!" Niel shouted excitedly tugging me by one arm and Chanhee by the other.  I laughed and stumbled after him, and Chanhee just kept quiet, running softly behind the hyper boy.  

I glanced at Chanhee, and our eyes met.  He blushed and looked away.

What was wrong with him?

*~*~*

I was sitting on the rooftop when I heard someone come up, too.  I looked up and saw that it was Chanhee.  He was coming towards me, and I got up, smiling.  

"Hey," I said, waving a little. 

He smiled back and replied, "Hi."

I went over to the railing, staring at the sunset.  It was five pm, and the sky was a beautiful shade of red and orange, a bit blinding.  "Shouldn't you be home?" I asked, turning back to him.

He shrugged.  "Shouldn't you be?" he asked back.

I smirked.  "Touche."

He stuck his tongue out playfully and then came to stand next to me.  I looked back at the sunset, at the town, and commented on how beautiful it looked.  He replied half-heartedly, and I felt his eyes on me all of a sudden.  I ignored it, though, and just stared straight ahead, not wanting to get any hopes up.  Because through this school year, every time I had a high hope...it came crashing down.  I glanced at him, and this time, when our eyes locked, he didn't avert his eyes.  

Finally, I asked, "Is there something on my face?"  

He seemed startled, and then started to blush.  "E-em, no, s-sorry!" he squeaked, and started to leave, but I caught his hand.  He visibly flinched as I pulled him back towards me, wrapping an arm around his thin waist so he couldn't escape.

"What's with you?" I asked, frowning.  "You've been all jittery around me lately.  Have I done something wrong?" 

Chanhee blinked at me.  Then he looked down, his eyes staring at our hands, which were still intertwined.  I raised an eyebrow, and cupped his chin, lifting his head up.

I looked into his brown, innocent eyes and I couldn't hold my tongue anymore.  The words slipped out, and when they did, I slapped myself.  Both mentally and physically.

"I love you."

Huh?

"I said, I love you!"  Chanhee was screaming into my face, seeming frustrated, happy, upset...a lot of mixed emotions, really.

"But...wait, you love me too?" I asked, my eyes widening.

He looked down again.  "Yes," he spoke.  "Since...since that day.  When we were five."

"You said you didn't remember me though?" I asked.  And then I remembered that talk with Niel in the park one day.

"I lied...?" Chanhee said, tilting his head to the side as he looked at me.

I whacked him lightly, which earned me a pout.  "Lying isn't good."

"But...."

I cut him off with a quick kiss on the lips.

"Hey!  That was my first!  You should've...."

I cut him off again with a much longer kiss, waiting until he pulled away himself to breathe.  

"Okay, that's better," he panted, clutching at the front of my shirt.  

I smirked at his bright red lips and kissed them once again before letting him go.  

"So all those memories didn't go to waste," I said to myself.

"What memories?" he asked.

"I'll tell you later...wait, you should already know them!"  I looked at him, feigning hurt.

"Hehe, I do~," he sang, and I hit him lightly, making him yelp.  "Not nice."

"Lying isn't good."

"But...."

I cut him off yet again with a kiss, leaving him panting by the time we panted.

"I should lie more often," he said, and then hugged me happily.

I really felt like the happiest person alive.

*~*~*

A/N: ...This is such an awkward ending :3 My endings are always cheesy and awkward ._. So~ how was this? Hehe I always have to ask that //slapped
Please comment if you liked it or not! If you think I can improve on my writing PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE. I'M BEGGING YOU. AHH. Yeah so feedback is loved and excuse me for any typos <3