Broken Seashell

A Midsummer Night's Dream (One-Shot)

 

Sorry for the very long delay in this one-shot. This is going to be a relatively long one that I planned it to be because it's over the course of a full day. It is finally up, so enjoy, everyone!

 


 

There he is. He is walking. Walking, hopefully, towards me. I stand in place and wait. Waiting until he stops right before me. I grin and jump giddily.

"Oppa, will you be mine?" I asked, staring up at the blurry face that looked down at me.

He nodded, but said no word.

My grin widened and I ran into his arms, feeling warmth surround me. I tilted my head slightly up. Even though I couldn't see any of his facial features, it still made me content that he was here holding me.

He began to lean down. My eyes widened. I have never gotten so far in this affair that I almost entirely forgot about it, but I followed, leaning on my tiptoes, our lips slowly inching closer, until...

"CHO MI YUN!"

"Wha?" I flinched and pushed against the bar counter. "Ah, mianhe, unnie~" I bowed my head at the brunette standing in front of me with her hands on her hips and a very frustrated look on her face that told me, Uh oh, I finally crossed the line this time. Her hair was up in a bun with two strands hanging loose from the sides. She was wearing a white tank top, navy denim cut-out shorts, and fanning herself with her now free hand. Even in this state and heat, Eun Hee unnie, my sunbae and boss, still looks amazing as ever.

"This has been the third time you've dozed off while on your shift. One more time you do that, you're fired."

I pouted and left my head down. "Mianhe, unnie."

She sighed. "It's okay. You're lucky we're not busy today." She leaned on the counter and rested her chin on the palm of her hand. "Anyways, have you found him yet?" My head jolted up, and she smiled. "I know you already, Mi Yun. Whenever you doze off like that it means that you're dreaming about him again. So have you found him yet?"

I shook my head. "No, I haven't. But I've been constantly dreaming about him lately. More than before."

"So if you find him, will your dreams stop too?"

I shrugged and dropped my shoulders with a heavy sigh. "I'm not sure. But I feel like this time I'll find him! I have to find him!"

"You've got that right," she mumbled, then straightened up. "Summer's coming to an end and college is approaching. When are you leaving again?"

"Um..." I bit my lip down. "Next Friday, I think."

"That's soon." Unnie grabbed the wet cloth that was lying beside me and started to wipe down the counter.

"It is. Since I'm traveling to the States for college, I have to get there early so I can adapt to the different environment and completely change my sleeping schedule."

She nodded slowly. "You better get going then."

My eyes widened. "De?"

An eyebrow was raised at me. "Don't you have to find Mr. Right by next week? You're running out of time." She smiled. "Don't worry, I can handle it here. It's not like anyone's too tired or hot to leave the beach soon." She glanced at the millions of people playing in the cool salt water just yards away from the beach bar, where I currently work at. Eun Hee grabbed a glass and a soda can from below the counter, poured the drink in the glass, and began gulping it down. "I can spare a few minutes for myself before the wave comes in."

My mouth opened wide and I jumped from the stool to the ground. "Chincha?" She nodded. "Kamsahamnida, unnie!" I bowed endlessly until it felt like I couldn't realign my spine. "I'll be back before night falls!"

She pointed her now empty glass at me and stabbed the air. "You better keep that promise this time, okay?"

"De! De!" I scurried to the open arch across the bar, dodging all of the obstacles, before bowing one last time. "Kamsahamnida, unnie!" I jumped up and screamed simultaneously. Then I ran off to the beach in search of my Prince Charming.

 

----

 

"Aigoo..." I lifted my arm to examine the dusty pink watch on my wrist. It was exactly noon and the sun stood directly above me, drowning me in a wave of scorching heat.

"This is so frustrating..." I stomped in place and glanced out at the glorious sparkling ocean blanket laid out beside me. I would really want to take a dip in the water, even for just a few minutes to relax and wash the heat off my body, but I, unfortunately, don't have a swim suit hidden underneath my red top and shorts.

5af5b1eb.png

"Ah, chincha..." I slouched and stopped in my place. I glanced at the waves crashing on the shore then down to my blistering feet. A smile creeped onto my face and I dashed to the water. "Ah..." I sighed, feeling the cold rush travel from my feet to my head in a matter of seconds. With my body now rejuvenated, I continued on my journey.

The cool breeze of the wind caressing me in a soft embrace. The rush of the water and sand flowing between my bare toes. The way the blurry heat in the distance looked like a mirage in a desert. Somehow in the heat of it all, it seems all too beautiful in the summer, and I wish that

"Ow!"

I halted, fell on my knees, and glanced down. Blood mixed in with the clear color of the water. Underneath my big toe was a cracked end of a seashell.

"Ah, chincha~" I whined softly, shutting my eyes and muttering under my breath while holding my toe in my hand.

"Are you okay?"

Without paying close attention to who the voice was coming from, I shook my head. "No. I stepped on this broken seashell and it cut my toe."

"Can I see it?" I could feel the person kneeling beside me. I pulled my hand back. "Aigoo... Do you think you can stand and walk?"

"I don't know..." I pushed on my legs and stood on my feet without putting pressure on my big toe. I walked forward on my injured toe but stumbled back down.

"Here..." The person guided my arm around their shoulders as theirs wrapped around my waist.

"Kamsahmnida." I glanced at the person who came to my rescue, and my words became a whisper that blended with the wind.

He had perfect skin, beautiful eyes, plump pink lips, and slick straight hair that, in any way he would turn, it would still look flawless.

"No problem," he said, smiling.

"Uh—" I stuttered, not realizing that my mouth was left wide open while I gaped at him with widened eyes, until he turned his head to me.

His brows furrowed. "Are you okay?"

"Uh..." I shook my head and turned away, feeling the red tint in my cheeks. I giggled quietly then shyly looked back, flashing him my eye smile and whitened teeth. "Yeah, I'm okay now."

He chuckled. "That's good. I'm Jinyoung, by the way."

The blood rushed to my cheeks again and I felt my heart making fast drum beats. With a cute face like his, of course he's bound to have an adorable name, too! "I'm Mi Yun."

"That's a cute name," he complimented.

"Hehe, kamsahmnida." We began to limp away from the bloody scene and toward the road.

"Here." He stopped, guiding my arm over his head as he turned to face his back toward me. "Get on my back."

I bit my lip. "Are you sure?"

He nodded. "I'm sure. It would be beneficial for the both of us."

"Araso..." I slipped my arms around his neck and linked my hands together. He slowly straightened up and took a hold of my legs that dangled at his sides.

"Are you comfortable up there?" He turned his head halfway around to glance at me from his peripheral view.

I nodded, hiding my childish grin in his back.

"Araso!" He jumped slightly to lift me higher on his back. I screamed, and he laughed. "Mianhe. I'll take you somewhere so I can fix that cut."

 

----

 

"What are you doing alone at the beach without any friends?"

We sat around a silver table in a coffee shop near the beach and in the background, A Midsummer Night's Dream by The Brown Eyed Girls played. My leg was resting comfortably, but embarrassingly, on the table as Jinyoung treated me with alcohol-filled cottonballs to my wound and iced coffee.

"I was looking for someone," I admitted, leaving out the main and essential detail to that truth.

"And who is it that you were looking for?"

I shrugged. "No one in particular. I guess they left before I could get to them first."

"Chincha?"

I giggled and shied away from his gaze. "Yeah." After regaining most of my composure, I surveyed our surroundings. "What are we doing in a coffee shop anyways?"

"Ah..." He chuckled and bowed his head down. "I sort of rent part of this place as a mini-clinic with my friends."

"Really..." I said as more of an amazed statement than a question. My eyes traveled to the guy manning the cashier, to the guy serving and taking orders, to the barista, and then to the guy at the entrance of the shop greeting the people who came in. The four of them averted their gaze to me and waved. I returned the friendly gesture.

Jinyoung nodded. "Yup. Those four are my closest friends, and they work with me, too. That's why the four of them wanted to open a coffee shop, and I was the only one who wanted to open a mini-clinic."

I laughed. "Where is your mini-clinic?"

"It's"—he turned back to point at a white door with stained glass windows at the other side of the room—"right there."

"Ah..." I nodded slowly. "So caring for wounded patients is your specialty?"

He chuckled. "You can say that. I enjoy helping people and I'm planning to get my Doctorate in college."

My eyes widened. "Are you a college student now?"

He shook his head. "No, not yet. That's why this summer I'm working as hard as I can before I travel abroad."

"Y-You're traveling abroad?"

"Yes, to the States." He had a very amused smile on his face. "You seem very shocked to hear that."

Immediately I shook my head. "Ani. It's just... I'm going to the States, too."

He nodded. "I see... I guess we have a few things in common."

"Hehe. A little. You and I are both going to the States for college, but you want to be a medical major, I want to be a fashion major."

His eyebrows shot up and his eyes widened. "Chincha?"

I nodded. "De. This summer I'm working with my unnie at the beach bar not far from here. It doesn't have much to do with business, but I get to work with people and sort of negotiate some prices with them." I flashed a small wink at him.

"Ah, that's not too good to do that."

"I'm just kidding. I work part-time at a department store in Seoul and there I help people with picking their outfits."

"I guess maybe someday you can help me pick out my outfits." We both laughed. While we were getting acquainted with each other, Jinyoung was finishing the final adjustments on my wound and patched it up with a bandage. "There you go." He pulled back and admired his artwork. "This is a water-proof adhesive bandage, so it won't come off for a while."

I set my foot down on the ground and slipped it in my flip flops. "Kamsahamnida."

He smiled. "It's my pleasure. You should be able to walk just fine. Now drink the rest of your coffee."

 

----

 

I hadn't realized that someone you just met a while ago could turn up to be the person who you felt like you've known for years.

Of course, for me, it takes around a century to know someone as much as I now know Jinyoung.

"Ah, chincha..." He said, shading himself from the sun with his hand. "It's so hot today."

"It is..." I walked closer to him as if he were my shade. "I was nearly burning while walking by the beach."

He titled his head to glance down at me. "You didn't go in the water?"

Suddenly there was a tingling sensation between our hands. I blushed and automatically pulled it back, but he slowly and carefully slipped his in mine. It felt warm and secure, like I couldn't be anywhere else in the world than here.

I shook my head. "No, I didn't have a swim suit under my clothes."

He chuckled. "Well, we're by the water now. What do you say we go for a little swim?"

"No." I continued to shake my head and move away from him. "No." He began to run towards me. "No!" I ran in the opposite direction. It was useless though, but I couldn't let myself get caught by him.

Eventually he won as he grabbed me by the waist and strode deeper in the water.

"No! Jinyoung! Please! Don't do this!" I screamed, struggling against his surprisingly strong and firm arms. "HAJIMA!"

He laughed and freed me from his grasp. I instantly became engulfed by the cool salt water. Kicking the water with my legs, I set my feet on the ground and stood up, feeling the water drip from every corner of my clothes and strands of my hair and surface of my skin. I pushed my hair back and spit out the water that almost entered my mouth. Opening my eyes, I glared at Jinyoung, who stood in front of me laughing. "You~" I pounced forward and splashed him with water.

Instead of fighting back, he walked to me and held my hands in his. "Don't you feel refreshed after that?"

The splashing ceased and I stared at our entwined hands. I shook my head right after and nodded. "Yes, I do."

He smiled. "That's good. Come on now." He began to walk out of the water while keeping our hands together. I followed him. "It's beginning to get late."

I glanced at the sun gradually starting its descent to the ocean. "It's only four."

"Do you have anywhere else to be?"

"I don't think s..." My eyes widened. "Yes! Oh no, I do have somewhere I need to be!"

"Where is it?"

I turned and pointed at the bar that was standing a few hundred feet away from us. "I told my unnie that I'd be back there before night falls, but I just remembered that there's a party tonight and I have to help her set up, so I have to go back early. She's the only one working right now and I feel so bad for abandoning her!"

He smiled. "That's okay. Work is your number one priority."

I apologized for the millionth time today. "Mianhe! Why don't you come later? I'll make it up!"

He shook his head. "That's really okay, you don't need to make it up. But I will come tonight. And is it okay if I bring my friends from the coffee shop?"

"Of course! Yeah, that would be awesome! You can take a load off and relax tonight! I'm sure all five of you will have fun."

"I'm counting on it." He began to step backwards, stretching out the distance between while still holding on to my hands. "Ka."

I pouted. We finally let go and I bowed. "Mianhe!"

"Ka!" He laughed.

Again, I bowed. Then I began to run toward the bar. "Make sure you and your friends come tonight! And wear comfortable clothes! We're going to be having a bonfire and lots and lots of dancing! Just look for me by the bar counter!"

He nodded. "De! Just look out for me, too. I'll make sure to stop by!" And with a final goodbye, we temporarily parted ways, and I couldn't erase the goofy grin off my face.

 

----

 

"So did you find him today?"

It was seven-thirty at night and already many people have attended tonight's bonfire. It was almost packed inside, and I mentally thanked myself and Eun Hee unnie for preparing extra tables outside. Everything seemed to be going well so far.

I felt a nudge on my arm. "De?" I turned my head to Eun Hee leaning back on the counter beside me.

"Relax." She assured. "It's not like anyone's going to steal anything. What's there to steal here anyways?" She joked, laughing out loud. "You're working too hard, and as much as I am loving this diligent side of you, you have to relax." She took a moment to let me settle down before continuing. "As I was saying," she said with emphasis, "did you find him today?"

The goofy grin returned. I nodded. "De. I did."

Her eyes widened. "Oooh!" She leaned towards me so that her face was millimeters away from mine. "What does he look like? Is he cute? What am I saying? Of course he is! How old is he? What's his name? Tell me!"

I giggled and leaned away from her. "I guess you'll have to wait and see, unnie. He's coming tonight, and he's bringing friends."

As soon as I mouthed the word friends, a spark ignited in her determined eyes. "Friends? Are they around the same age as he is? Are they cute?"

I nodded. "They're very cute, and they are the same age as he is."

She embraced me. "Ah, saranghae, Mi Yun!"

"De, de." Pushing her away, I surveyed the bar once more. My eyes laid on a single person standing in the large group of people. My goofy grin widened even more. "And here they are now!"

Jumping off the bar stool, I excused myself past the guests, keeping my eyes set on the one person who kept their promise to come here.

"Annyeonghaseyo," I greeted, bowing in front of the five of them, "welcome to tonight's bonfire party. My name is Cho Mi Yun, and I will be one of your hosts for this evening."

"Annyeong~" The five bowed.

Sunwoo glanced around the bar and nodded in approval. "So this is where you work..." He looked back at me and smiled. "Jinyoung-hyung told us. He seems to know you a lot more than he knows us." He laughed.

"There's gonna be performances, right?" Dongwoo, whose stage name is CNU, asked. "Is it okay if I perform with them?"

I giggled. "Sure. They're at the back." I pointed my thumb behind me to a closed door near the stage. Dongwoo smiled and left.

Junghwan craned his neck upward to get a better view of the bar. "What kind of drinks do you have here?"

"We do have some alcoholic beverages, but if you don't want to or can't drink those, we do have water and such."

He grinned. "Great!" He stealthily made his way past us and to the bar. By the time he was gone, Chanshik vanished also.

"Where did he go?" Jinyoung questioned, turning his head back and forth.

"He's over there"—I pointed to a group of girls surrounding Chanshik not too far away—"with those girls."

"Aigoo..." Jinyoung shook his head and ruffled his hair slightly. "He's the most famous among the girls. I'm a little worried, but he's used to it, so I'm sure he can handle it himself." He smiled.

"Araso!" Eun Hee's pumped-up voice emitting from the speakers filled the room. "It's almost eight o'clock. How about we get that bonfire started? This party's going to last all night!" Everyone cheered in response, then we all headed outside.

It was always a surprise to me that whoever was around patrolling the beaches would let us have bonfires every year. Of course, there would be a lot more than necessary needed supervising the activity because, you don't know, someone might get injured~

But that has never happened with us. Everyone made sure they were careful so that bonfires won't get banned if something unfortunate happened.

This year would be the most exciting for me, obviously because this is my first summer after graduating high school.

Every single one of us walked outside and on the sand a couple of yards away from the shore of the beach. A huge stack of logs shaped in a square were unburned and perfectly still. We all gathered in a circle around the soon-to-be fire and waited until a police officer and Eun Hee unnie were standing in the center holding up already burning wood in the air.

"Are you guys ready?" Yelled the police officer. All of us yelled back. "Okay!" He and Eun Hee held the torch to the stack of logs and almost instantly the logs ignited and traveled from the bottom of the stack to the top, where smoke began to reach for the moon and the stars and the flames were dancing freely in the air.

As we cheered, the DJ brought the music outside with portable speakers playing Be Ma Girl by Teen Top and the dancers, along with Dongwoo, followed. Everyone began to dance to the song around the fire, some getting on the ground breakdancing, some being perfectly in sync with the song, and some freestyling their way through the whole thing. It was exhilarating to watch everyone have fun and get along with each other.

A few of them began to walk back inside, and I could hear them saying that they were famished and parched. Silently agreeing with them, I turned to Jinyoung. "Do you want to get something to eat?"

He nodded. "Sure." He reached out for my hand and we strolled together back to the bar.

"We have a seafood buffet tonight, so take whatever you want."

He smiled. "You sure are an excellent host."

I giggled. "Thanks. I've had years of practice." We laughed.

After grabbing our food, we stood beside one of the center bar tables closest to the stage where a few of the dancers and another DJ were dancing and playing another song. We both didn't take a lot, so it was fairly easy to finish up all of our food.

As I returned to the table from throwing away my paper plate, I felt something hard rubbing against my skin from the inside of my front pocket. Having not changing after playing in the water, which is really bad, I know, I forgot that I kept that in my pocket this entire time. I reached inside and pulled it out.

"You kept that?" Jinyoung asked.

I smiled and nodded, lifting my head up from examining the broken seashell to look at him. "Yeah," I answered shyly, "if it wasn't for this, I wouldn't have met you."

He chuckled. "Do you still have the bandage on?"

My eyes widened for a second before traveling down to the still very sticky bandage bonded around my toe. "Yes, I do."

"Maybe I can keep it as a reminder of how I met you."

I giggled. "That wouldn't be such a joyful reminder."

"Well maybe to me it is."

I blushed and turned my head away.

Suddenly, I heard the DJ's voice through the speakers. "This next song is a slow song for all you couples out there spending your summer together. This is a request from the beautiful Eun Hee for her dongsaeng, Mi Yun."

Ah, chincha... I shook my head and slouched embarrassingly.

Neoye sumsori-ga kwiitkae bu-reo-oneun bam

My head shot up. It's this song again! How could she have known... Or I was being really obvious the time we were setting up. Aigoo... But it was very thoughtful of her to do this for me. This was the first song I heard while Jinyoung and I were getting to know each other in the coffee shop earlier today. This song, I feel, has brought us hugely closer in the short time that we met.

I could see a hand being extended out to me. "Do you want to dance?"

Shikji anheun i yeoreum bameul nan neowah hamkke

I nodded and took his hand as he led me out to the open space in front of the stage. I wrapped my arms around his neck as his slipped around my waist. Resting my head on his chest, I breathed in the intoxicating smell of his subtle cologne from his shirt. The corners of my lips spread apart again and I closed my eyes, letting ourselves sway side to side as the music continued.

Doshi bulbichimyeon naneun chungbunhae
Ni-ga boinikka
Nan sonkkeu-teurodo neol da bol su isseunikka

O-oh baby, oneul yeo-giseo naneun neoye lady

The way we were right now wasn't awkward in any way. It felt perfect, like we were meant to hold each other like this. Of course it may sound crazy, being in love with someone in less than twelve hours, but I have never felt this way or known someone in this short amount of time. It really is amazing how your heart seems to choose the one you love, and you can't help but hold onto that love and never let it go.

Eodum sokye geu nunbiteuro scan me
Jo-geum deo deowojil-keoya urin chigeum daha it-janha

"Remember when you asked me if I was looking for anyone today at the beach?" I suddenly asked.

I felt him nod. "Yeah. Why?"

Han yeoreum bame gipeun kkumeul kkuneun uri
Meolli talbichi uri sarangeul naeryeobwah

I pulled my head back to make eye contact with him. "The person I was looking for..." I paused.

Neo-ye-ge banhae chwiihan geonman gateun nae-ge
Cheomin geotcheoreom, kkeuchin geotcheoreom, kiss me

"Was you."

His eyes widened. But he recovered quickly, smiled, and dropped his head down. "Is it really?" He shyly glanced back up at me.

Urideulye eokkae- wiiro han yeoreum bamye eoseureumi tto naeriyeo wah
Sol-ji-khaejil-kehellip;majdaheun sondeungeuro tteollimi jeonhaejine

I nodded. "De. I've had dreams about you lately, or what I hope to be you, and I've made it one of my lifetime goals to find you before I leave to the States next week."

I could feel his hands trembling on my lower back. "Is that really true?"

I nodded again. "De."

He smiled. "I've been having the same dreams about you, too. I'm usually one who doesn't go after personal gain, but with you, it doesn't feel like personal gain. It feels like this is just what I need."

Nothing could make me any happier than this. But I had to ask one more question. "So..." My courage was faltering, but I took a breath in and stared directly at him. "Will you be mine?"

He nodded, and I could see the pure joy and satisfaction in his eyes as he replied, "Yes."

Salchag budijhin iptu-ri ashwiiwo jom deo neol naebitu-llae
Jeoldae mot ijeul bami dwehke
Kkeunjeo-gijiman tal-gomhajanha neowahye ibmajchumi

This was exactly how my dream went, except that it was real. Everything was real, even the feel of his lips against mine couldn't feel any more like a dream, but it was reality. I forced my eyes closed, telling myself that this was another dream, but no matter how many times I said it, it wasn't fake.

We slowly pulled back and my head went back to his chest. "You are my midsummer night's dream," I whispered softly, and slowly closed my eyes to savor this eternal moment of my dreams finally becoming true.

Heunteu-lli-jima nae nuneul bwahbwah neoman isseo kadeukhi
Kkaeko ship-ji anha yeongwonhagiri kkumi

I really hope this dream lasts forever. Thank you, broken seashell, for finally helping me untangle the red string of fate that brought me and Jinyoung together.

 


 

It's very long, but I do not regret it at all! I finally finished it the way I wanted it to.

Some of you have probably noticed that Jinyoung's career siatuation is the same as Sun Ho from Love Rain. Lol. It wasn't entirely intentional... And I decided to use all of B1A4's real names. I feel more comfortable using their real names than stage names. (Whereas using EXO's stage names, I guess, there, I'm more comfortable using their stage names in my stories.)

I very much liked how the scene around the girl in the picture was the beach, and the main setting of this one-shot was, obviously, the beach! It matches perfectly.