001. Best Friends

Mr. Unattainable

001.

- - - - - - - - -

 

"...It's a bit embarrassing, but when we first met, I thought you were actually... kind of cute." A girl admitted, twirling a lock of light brown hair in between her fingers.

"Ah... Is that so...? Luhan let a nervous laugh pass through his lips as he scratched the back of his neck.

"You see, I've already broken up with my boyfriend..." the girl hinted, "I'd like it if we could hang out together sometime and get to know each other."

There was a long pause.

"So how about it...?" She spoke up after he didn't respond for while.

"... It sounds great and all, but I'm not looking for a relationship right now."

Her smile faded into an expression of disappointment. Nevertheless, she kept a gentle smile plastered on her face. "... Well, if you're ever up for it, feel free to call me." She spun around and disappeared into the school building.

When she was out of sight, Luhan turned my way. He scanned the area around me before speaking. "Yeonhee, you can come out now."

 

"Ah-"

I sheepishly stepped out from behind the bushes, and I walked up to him. "You found me..."

Upon seeing me, his expression immediately turned soft, and his voice more smooth. He put on a smile. "It really wasn't that hard to spot you." He motioned to my hiding spot only a few meters away. "How long were you sitting there?"

"Actually, not that long. Just from the part where she said, 'I thought you were kind of... cute.'"

"Pfft." In my failed attempt to act out her actions, he stifled a laugh. "Is that your impression?"

"Anyways," I emphasized, "...another girl confessed to you?" My smile morphed into a frown as I kept my gaze locked on him. "That's the fourth one this month..."

Luhan nonchalantly shrugged.

 

All throughout high school, girls here and there constantly try to attain Luhan's "Prince Charming" affections. He transferred to Seoul, South Korea from Beijing, China not long ago, but regardless of his nationality, he speaks Korean pretty fluently. And when he moved here, he, coincidentally, became the ideal type for everyone in school.

It's understandable, I guess- since he's quite handsome, and he's really sweet and kind...

But despite his popularity, girls subsequently fail to get him looking their way.

 

"Uhm... Speaking of which, how did you know I was hiding there?” I gave a quizzical look.

He looked at me with disbelief; as if the answer wasn't obvious. "What do you mean? You're always here for me. We're best friends, aren't we?"

He mussed my hair with a bright expression. Like always, a fuzzy feeling tickled my heart as warmth crept up to my face. I felt my cheeks flush bright pink, and I looked down at my shoes, a smile inevitably curving my lips. 

Before I had a chance to reply, the class bell rang, cutting me off.

"Oh. The ten minute bell." He said, adjusting his backpack. "We should get going if you don't want to be late for your next class."

With another quick pat on my head, he took off.

 

Best friend...

I'm sure no one is suppose to feel this way about a best friend...

 

Snapping me out of my trance, he stopped and whirled around to called me "Come on, slowpoke!”

"Oh... Y-yeah!"

divider.jpg

 

I waved goodbye to Luhan as I turned into my classroom. Sighing, I plopped down into my seat, and prepared my notebooks for class.

"Hi Yeonhee!" A petite-looking girl greeted me with an enthusiastic wave. She automatically took the chair in front of me, and shifted my way. "So," she leaned closer and lowered her voice, "What was up today?"

 

Lee Jikyung is a girl I recently became friends with.

She's a really lively, and she's sharper than she looks because not too long ago, she happened to catch on to my feelings about Luhan. I don't know how she did it, but now that she knows, she likes to keep updated on it.

Honestly, it's a little odd, but it's not all that bad.

 

"Nothing much," I replied as I reached into my backpack to search for my pencil that dropped out of my pencil case. She watched me for a moment, anticipating more to my response.

After about a minute of shuffling through my binders and folders, she took out her own case and handed me a newly sharpened pencil.

"Thanks." I huffed.

"No problem," she put away her box, and changed the subject. "Anything special? Was the confession good?"

"Uhm... It was okay, I guess...”

"Hmm..." She swayed her head side to side. “Well, I saw the girl. She was pretty, don’t you think?”

“Hey." I narrowed my eyes at her. "Whose side are you on, exactly?”

She laughed, and slapped my shoulders. “Don’t worry! I'm sure nothing will change. And besides, if he were to have a girlfriend, it would most likely be you! I mean, you are the closest to him." She cheered with a twinkle in her eye.

"Jikyung," I said, "It’s not like that. I’ve known Luhan for a good year already, but I know that... that I’ve been friend zoned...”

 

I hated to admit it, but it was the truth. When Luhan first transferred to our school, I was the first person to befriend him. We've just become so close. Now everywhere we go, it's always, "It's because we're friends," or "We're best friends." I've heard those lines so much that I'm starting to get the feeling that he knows.

Or it's because he just really likes me that much as a friend.

Either way, it made my head hurt just thinking about it.

 

Jikyung propped her chin onto her palm and stared at me. “Well, with that attitude, nothing good is going to come out of it.”

“B-but, what can-”

The teacher walked into the classroom interrupting our conversation. “Take your seats.” She said, setting down a stack of books onto her table. Students scrambled to their original desks.

Jikyung perked up. "We'll talk next time, mkay?" She got up from the chair and shuffled to her desk across the classroom.

"Great." I muttered.

 

When everyone was finally settled, the teacher began her lesson.

"Now then, we'll start from where we left yesterday." She held a piece of white chalk, and wrote a sentence in English on the board. "Starting from page 52. . ."

I loosened my stiff shoulders before taking my pencil to attentively write down notes.

divider.jpg

 

*Brringg*

After a few hours, the final bell for the day rang, and students hastily packed their bag and bolted out the door, eager to greet the oncoming weekend. Taking my time, I watched as the classroom emptied until the teacher and I were the only ones left.

"Goodbye Mrs. Kim." I politely bowed her way and she waved in acknowledgement. With my textbooks in one arm, I slung my backpack over my shoulders as I stepped into the busy hallway.

"Yeonhee!" Luhan ran up beside me and helped me carry my books. I graciously handed my them to him, and he carried them with ease, smiling at the same time.

"Thanks."

"My pleasure." He beamed.

"I was just about to head to your class, but you got here faster than I could start." I glanced at a clock hung on the wall of the hallway. His last class was on the opposite side of the school, and we would always meet around the middle.  I raised one eyebrow questioningly at him. "What's the rush?"

"... Actually... since you asked..." His voice trailed off.

I tilted my head in confusion. "What is it...?"   

"... I need your help again."

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

- Next Chapter Preview: -

"Is she her?" 

"Yes. She's my girlfriend."

"Her name is Kim Yeonhee."

 

 

Author's Note:

First chapter is up! Sorry it took so long. I was waiting for the poster+background
Well, my first official fanfic has started!

I know it's a bit boring, but please bare with me.
I mean, beginnings have to start somewhere, right?

;v;

12-09-30