Shades of White

Shades of White

Snow

A shiver ran up and down her spine and Sooyoung pulled her coat tighter around her body.

                One quick glance to the skies had a fleck or two of snow pelting her square on the nose and it was with that that Sooyoung really felt that winter was here to say… well, until it was time for the season to change. That only meant that she was going to have to bear with being more careful every time she walked to and from home. A sigh escaped her lips as she readjusted the grocery bags in her arms, shifting them around just so she could regain some feeling in her limbs.

She was thankful that at least it wasn’t snowing too hard because she really didn’t feel like being stranded in the grocery on a Sunday afternoon. A look of utter relief crossed her face as she reached her home, putting down her groceries on her front steps so that she could get her keys from her purse, when something collided with her leg.

Her eyes widened in surprise as she glanced down at the practically white ball of fur sitting by her feet. Upon closer inspection, she was more than sure it was a Maltese puppy. Reaching down to pick the small dog in her arms, the tall brunette immediately searched for any collar. Finding none, Sooyoung looked around in search for anyone who was possibly looking for a dog but she still came out empty handed.

The dog shivered in her arms and her attention immediately went back to the animal. “You’re cold, aren’t you? Do you belong to anyone, little boy?”

                The small white ball of fur merely snuggled further in her arms and Sooyoung couldn’t help but chuckle. Using one hand to unlock her front door, Sooyoung slowly picked her grocery bags up one at a time and placed them inside the house. It longer than she would have liked but the small pup looked like it wouldn’t be willing to leave her arms anytime soon. A quick glance told her that the Maltese had fallen asleep and peacefully so.

“We can look for your owner tomorrow… if you have one.” Sooyoung murmured softly as she gently its fur. “Because if you don’t, I’m going to name you Snow.”

Sooyoung entered her house with Snow snoozing in her arms, closing the door behind her with her feet. Once the door was shut, Baekhyun appeared from behind a nearby tree; a bright smile on his face and a dog cage in his grasp.

 

Old Lace

“Hey, honey.” Sooyoung smiled as she entered, arching an eyebrow at the pictures and folders scattered all around. “What’s wrong?”

Twenty eight-year old Hana pouted as maturely as she could as another picture fell from her grasp. “Umma, do you think I should pick another wedding gown?”

 “Why would you do that?” She asked as she moved a few pictures off a part of her daughter’s bed so that she could sit down. “I thought you loved the gown you picked.”

“I really, really do, umma.” The younger of the two women nodded earnestly. “But since it doesn’t come with a veil, I have to find a separate one… and I can’t find any in the catalogues that would look perfect with it.”

“Is that so?” Sooyoung fell silent for a moment as she browsed through the pictures nearest her. “Wait here.”

                Hana watched as her mother disappeared from her room only to reappear nearly five minutes later with a wide white box in her arms. Making space on her bed for the box, the younger of the two brunettes watched with her eyes wide and jaw hanging as her mother pulled off the cover, revealing a vintage looking, embroidered lace veil. Hana hesitantly reached a hand out to touch the material, turning wide eyes at her grinning mother.

“That was my veil when your appa and I got married.” She gestured to the open box. “You still need something old or something borrowed too, right?”

                Her daughter was soon up on her knees, wrapping her arms around her; countless thank you’s leaving her lips. Sooyoung laughed, hugging her daughter back. The two women stayed like that in Hana’s room; neither of them noticing Donghae standing in the doorway of the bedroom, leaning against the panel of the door; a lone, happy tear rolling down his cheek as he gazed at the two most important women in his life.

 

Champagne

“Oppa…”

Jaejoong let out an exasperated sigh, fighting the urge to slap his palm on his face. “Not here, please…”

“Oppa, you really didn’t mean it when you said you love someone else, right?” Bang Min-suh pleaded. “Oppa, I’ve loved you since we were in middle school. How can there be someone else? Please tell me you were just joking.”

This time, Jaejoong did facepalm himself. They were in the middle of a party, with people dressed to their nines no less. “Min-suh, this isn’t the time or place to talk about this. You’re going to create a scene.”

Min-suh hurriedly stopped an approaching waiter and took a champagne flute from his tray. “Who is she, oppa? Is she prettier than me? Better than me in everything? Tell me who she is ‘cause…”

                She stopped blabbering once she noticed that Jaejoong’s attention was no longer on her. Instead, he was staring at a certain direction with so much love, admiration and affection on his face. Scowling, she followed his line of vision, finding a tall, slender, model-looking brunette entering the party clad in a short asymmetrical black cocktail dress, matching pumps and clutch bag. As soon as the newcomer’s eyes fell on Jaejoong, a beautiful smile blossomed on her face and she made her way over.

“Sooyoung…”

“Did you wait long, oppa?” The brunette asked; her back facing Min-suh as she spoke to Jaejoong. “I’m so sorry.”

“I didn’t wait long, Soo.” He shook his head; a hand reaching up to cup her face. Min-suh seethed. “You look so beautiful.”

“You look handsome, oppa.” She giggled shyly and Min-suh turned red. How can they just ignore her like that?

Min-suh cleared , ready to put this girl in her right place. “Um… Excuse me, who are you and what are you to Jaejoong oppa?”

                Sooyoung turned to face her; her elbow accidentally hitting Min-suh’s hand that held her champagne. Jaejoong, Sooyoung and Min-suh could only watch as the alcohol left the flute and spilled on Min-suh’s gold, flapper-like mini dress. Her jaw dropped as she looked at her now soaked chest; realization taking its time to dawn on her.

“Oh my god…” Sooyoung’s eyes went wide; Jaejoong struggling to keep his laughter at bay at her side. “I’m so sorry. It was an accident. I’m really, really sorry. If you want, I can go to the ladies’ room with you. I can also call a friend if you want to change…”

                Min-suh stared wide-eyed at her. The misfortune that just happened to her plus the obvious caring, helpful nature of this woman wasn’t helping the fact that the latter happened to be the reason why Jaejoong rejected her. A frustrated shriek soon escaped Min-suh’s lips, catching the attention of everyone near them. Sooyoung stepped away and closer to Jaejoong’s eyes; both staring at her like she had grown two heads and she stormed out of the party.

“Oppa, what happened?” Sooyoung turned her wide, questioning eyes to her boyfriend. “Did I do something wrong?”

Jaejoong smiled and pulled her close. “No. Not at all.”

 

Eggshell

                Sooyoung sighed for the nth-time, suddenly losing her appetite despite how mouth-watering her food looked. She hated it when people fight in general and it was no better when two of her best friends did. At this moment, both Kyuhyun and Changmin refused to speak and even to look at each other. Kyuhyun sat to her left, stabbing his salad as if it had done him wrong, and Changmin sat to her right, pointedly staring at the wall that kept Kyuhyun away from his line of vision.

                She hated being caught in the middle when they fought; the brunette not even bothering to ask what was wrong this time around. The silence, however unbearable it was starting to be, was much better than her two best friends yapping at each other in public. She was somehow content with the silence. She didn’t want to say something that could risk annoying either of the two overly-sensitive boys. She’d rather be silent than be cautious with what she wanted to say. Sooyoung sighed again. This was going to be a long lunch hour.

Footsteps approached them and soon after, Heechul plunked himself on the lone empty seat. His eyebrow rose as he sensed the apparent tension in the table; his eyes glancing between Changmin and Kyuhyun. “You two five year olds fighting again?”

Sooyoung could only pinch the bridge of her nose as Changmin and Kyuhyun turned narrowed eyes at Heechul. “No , Sherlock.”

 

Seashell

“She sells seashells by the seashore.” Sooyoung said perfectly, arching an eyebrow at the two men before her. “C’mon, oppa. If you get it right, then we can go out for dinner. That’s the condition, remember?”

“She shell she shell by the seashore.” Eunhyuk recited, scowling in annoyance soon after. “Sooyoungie, this is too hard!”

“It’s part of learning English!”

“How can that be so hard?” Heechul rolled his eyes at the younger man as he joined the pair; his attention soon shifting to Sooyoung. “If I try, can I get out for dinner with you too?”

“Why won’t you try, you know-it-all ahjussi.” His eyes narrowed at him.

“I am no ahjussi!” Heechul exclaimed as Sooyoung burst out in laughter. “Okay, fine. She shells she sells by the she shore.”

Eunhyuk and Sooyoung doubled over in laughter. “Oppa, you’re worse!”

Heechul opened his mouth to try again when another voice cut him off. “She sells seashells by the seashore.”

The trio turned their heads, finding Kris standing behind Sooyoung. He winked at Sooyoung. “How does a Japanese restaurant sound?”

                Sooyoung beamed as she got off her seat, waving goodbye at her two friends as she went to stand by Kris’s side. Heechul and Eunhyuk’s jaws dropped as they watched the tall dup leave, subsequently disappearing from sight. The two men were left alone, exchanging a look before they hurriedly got on their feet to run after the pair.

“WHY YOU FREAKISHLY TALL, ENGLISH-SPEAKING, SOOYOUNG-STEALING FAKE BLONDE!”