Million Faces

Million Faces

 

When Kris introduces the new import Chinese boy to you, you observe.

“This is Tao.”

Your impression on him still has not changed from the first time you have seen him (which was three months ago) until now that you have been introduced.

He is tall, quiet and has sharp features that make him look daunting and unapproachable. He doesn’t talk much, let alone look at you directly. It doesn’t seem that he’s interested in meeting you either. This is probably why you always see him alone, not because he is a foreigner in a country that speaks not of his language, but because he prefers to be alone. The only people he lets near him are Kris, Baekhyun and the others who are supposed to debut soon with him. You don’t personally know Tao and you don’t really want to. For you, he is just another label mate you do not need to associate with.

 


 

You see him doing something unexpected the next time you see him. You are eating your lunch at the company cafeteria when Sehun enters, who you are close friends with, and an anxious-looking Tao following behind. He doesn’t notice you at first but when he does (after Sehun had waved a nice ‘hey Soojung!’) he gives you a nod and an almost-there smile. Heat crawls up in your cheeks and you don’t know why.

(Or maybe you do.

But you don’t want to admit to yourself that Tao looks more handsome when he smiles like that and you are attracted to that smile.)

 


 

You see Tao more often than you used to after that. He is in the company’s lounge early in the morning just as you have arrived; he is departing the dance room when you enter in; you turn around and get a glimpse of his passing profile. It is strange; now, you notice things and is alerted of his very presence as if your very existence was meant to notice his.

 


 

Sometimes, you gaze at Tao in an affectionate manner. Amber has graciously pointed it out a few days ago when EXO (the group name he belongs to) was leaving the dance room to make way for f(x). Sehun had accidentally bumped Tao, who in turn, elbowed you in the arm and profusely apologized afterwards. You said nothing while he did his retributions, opting to study his features. He was good-looking despite eye bags that covered half of his cheeks. His limbs were lean and free of fat, muscular but not too brawny. You have accepted the fact that perhapspossiblymaybe you’re crushing on him.

“Someone’s crushing on Mr. Panda~” Amber sang when EXO had made their exit. If you weren’t so distracted, you would have thrown a glare but as you were, she settled for a threat.

“Someone’s going to punch Josephine, if she doesn’t shut up.”

That wasn’t the last time Amber had teased you about you little adoration with the new Chinese boy.

 


 

“He’s weird.” You say.

“Who?” Kris questions.

You hesitate. “Your friend, Tao.”

“Zi Tao?” Kris snorts. “Yeah, he is.” He adds, “He’s a nice kid though. Misunderstood most of the time because of his looks but he’s a good person. You should befriend him.”

“Should I?”

“Definitely. He’ll be a good piece for your collection of boy toys.” Kris jokes and you hit him in the arm, telling him to shut up. In the end, you consider his advice to be friends with the boy named Huang Zi Tao.

 


 

It is two weeks later before you see Tao again. You have been running in and out of the recording studio and learning new choreography for your new mini-album. It is tiring and you feel like quitting really, but work is work and you really have no problem getting paid.

You are on water break when you see him doing his art—you call his wushu art because it is so beautiful and compellingly enchanting—and you can’t help but stop and watch him. He looks different when he’s doing his most precious art, too focused and too passionate. You wonder if you have ever looked like that when you’re doing something. Probably not.

You surprise yourself by stepping inside the room quietly; choosing to stay by the door as you watched him jump, give a kick through the air and land soundlessly. He still has not noticed your presence and it amuses you greatly. When he finishes an easy somersault and alights with a thud, he finally spots you. Quickly, he bends awkwardly for a bow and scrambles to his things, collecting and organizing them.

You invite yourself further in, despite knowing it is rude, but he will leave if you ask and you will not have the chance to talk to him. Though really, you questions you sanity and the determination on why you should hold a conversation with him. You barely understood each other before and if it weren’t for the fact that Kris and Amber translated their exchange, you wouldn’t even know him to a friendly level.

Maybe it’s cultural curiosity or the supercilious smirk he elicits or those piercing gaze that attempts to rob your jumping soul—whatever it is he has done to you, it had ignited something inside you and captured your attention.

 “What’s that on your forehead?” You ask, pointing at a pinkish scar on his upper right brow. It’s not evidently visible when his bangs are covering it and unless you stare at it long enough, only then will you realize it is there.

Tao’s hand shoots up to your discovery, covering the scratch protectively while his eyes dart away from your searching look. “It’s nothing.”

They fall into a silent position with you intently staring at his wound, both brows meeting in the middle. You are not sure but you ask,

“You get bullied, don’t you?”

Tao doesn’t say anything, opting to look at the empty space between his right and left shoes. Briefly, You recall your conversation with Kris. Tao, beneath his sharp features, was a great guy. Once you get to know him, you will see all kinds of side he has. But he also holds emotions dearly, preferring to conceal them in case someone uses them against him. This must be it then. He is hiding this information from you lest he offends you or you tell someone about it then he will get more in trouble. You wonder how long will it take you to break the guard he has build up that separates the two of you.

“Me too.”

A beat of second later, you speaks again, slumping down beside him. When the dance room’s mirror reflects his confused expression, you give him a small smile and a nonchalant shrug, like it’s not a big deal that you used to get harassed. “It’s because of Jessica, my sister. Other trainees thought it was unfair for me to debut so early just because I had leveraged so I received all kinds of hate mails or my stuff gets misplaced.”

When Tao hangs his head low in skepticism, you ask him quietly, “How about you? You..? What did they do?”

He doesn’t answer right away and for a moment, you’re afraid he misunderstood your question. After all, he has limited Korean knowledge and he is new around the place. But then he answers with his smooth voice, struggling to find the proper words to use. “Lock me in room… order around. Sometimes, tarnish my things.”

“And you let them do that to you?” You say incredulously, head turning to face him while mouth gaping. “That’s awful.”

Tao merely gives you a shrug, copying the same aloofness you portrayed earlier. “Not Korean.”

“That’s a stupid reason and a bit racist. Why don’t you just Wushsu—“ at this, you flail around in a pathetic way to imitate his martial arts moves—“their asses then?”

He snorts at your query and looks at her consciously. “Trouble.”

You roll your eyes at his response, muttering something about being too good and pandas. This is the cue to drop the topic and you are brought to stillness once again. It is not as awkward like your earlier quietness, leaning more on ease and comfort. You watch him from the corner of her eye, afraid to meet his on the mirror image, and absorb the picture. His head is angled upwards with a serene on his face and a small smile and not a smirk, you note. The lashes that frame his eyes are long and thick and you’re a little jealous because despite his manly face, he has feminine features that you want.

And then he is humming a familiar sound, something you cannot name but has heard of before. He doesn’t sing it the right way and he was off tune many times but his voice is right for the song and maybe with more training, he can perfect it.

Your time together does not last long as the time for you to leave comes. It is awkward once again and you are worried that once you depart again, the next time you meet will be an uncomfortable one. So before you disappear temporarily, you stop just by the door and lean on it with a hesitant look on your face. “You should tell Kris oppa about it. The bullying.” You know you should not have brought the topic back by his alarmed reaction but you really want to help him even just a little. “If you can’t then, you can always tell me.”

The last you see of him is when your eyes meet, his eyes, those sharp slanting edges, softening with yours.

 


 

You don’t get to talk to Tao anymore (not that you have often talked to him) because EXO-M is now gone, far, far away to a country called China. You can’t say you fully miss him but you’re not as excited as before when you’re at the company. No more accidental bumps or secret glances or teasing from Amber. (Well, maybe Amber will still tease you. She likes making your life miserable.) It's kind of sad not seeing your crush anymore but work is work and you understand Tao's pursuit of singing. It has always been his dream to be a singer after all and he is one right now. 

You don’t know what happened to Tao’s bullying issue. It’s not like he has messaged or call you or anything so you’re not sure if it’s still happening. You hope it has stopped. You hope Tao has told Kris or anyone really—it’s not important who—and if something has been done with it.

But you know that Tao is strong and he can fight his own battles (even though technically, he isn't fighting back) and he has endured every maltreatment people have been giving him so you're not worrying that much anymore. Wherever he is right now, he is fine and happy because he has brothers to protect him and make him feel okay. He is not suffering. He is not alone.

And that is enough.

 


Author's Note:

Dafuq, the ending is so anticlimatic. I'm sorry.

IT'S SO AWFUL I CANNOT. Also this is a drabble. So no plotr eally. LOL

If you have questions, feel free to ask. 

That comes with a fee though.

JUST KIDDING.

REVIEWS ARE OK K.