8th Bench

8th Bench

 

8th Bench
a story by resatsekon18

 


 

I never thought my first day of school will turn out to be this nervous. I can feel my stomach churning badly. Do you know how actually uneasy I was? Here in this new environment, new routine and new classmates. I feel like a new kid in kindergarten. But apart of it, I was happy that I’m finally in college.

 

It was already time for class but my guess would be that the teachers will not attend their classes this day. Students are only present to see their class assignments based on the schedule given, and then after that, they can just leave and do whatever they want.

 

Room H1G. I cautiously took a sit on an empty chair. I looked around, getting a good glimpse of this classroom and familiarizing the faces of my supposed-to-be new classmates.

 

But then, my eyes landed at him. He was sitting there alone, his back bending down a little. His eyes were closed and he was wearing his earphones on, lightly bobbing his head to the rhythm of the song he was currently listening. His arms folded on his chest and his shoe tapping on the floor.

 

I didn’t know what came into me, but my eyes were glued at his view. He has a good complexion, and he was utterly handsome.

 

He opened his eyes, and I slightly jumped off my seat when he turned at my direction, making me divert my look away. He must’ve sensed me staring at him.

 

The image of him looking at me is confusing. I couldn’t describe that look whether I could call it a stare or a glare? I saw from the corner of my eyes that he turned his head front and closed his eyes again.

 

I bit my lip. Why is my heart beating more rapidly this time? This couldn’t be from the nervousness I felt a while ago. I knew there was something about it, and this new kind of feeling is delightful—too good to tolerate.

 


First impression is not the basis of a person’s characteristics. Some may look tough and brave. Some may show they are not afraid of anything. But in the inside, they are actually soft-hearted being.

Everyone can mask their true personality, because they don’t want to show that they can be easily defeated.


 

Weeks had passed. I can see him doing more facial expressions now unlike what I had noticed from the first few weeks. He talks with people now, but to my surprise, I never saw him talking to any girl classmates so far. Every time I see him smile, I can feel my heart flutter from such action.

 

He was talking with some of our male classmates during recess. They were talking about some online gaming stuff, and that’s when I discovered; he was a gamer. Not just that, he was a smart kid. When we were checking the test papers from the previous examination, the whole class had to clap their hands because Sehun got a perfect score.

 

“Oh Sehun, fifty over fifty. Get your test paper here boy,” the professor called. Sehun stood up and went to the teachers table. The class clapped again, and some of his friends even yelp out a cheer. I raised an eyebrow when I saw Sehun slightly curving his lips, probably suppressing his smile as he went back to his seat.

 


He was smart. He was tall. He was handsome.

 I love the way his hair falls perfectly over his eyebrows, slightly covering his precious brown orbs. Every feature you could think about how to portray a gentleman, he has it.

But it’s only on the looks. How about within?


 

I was talking with my friend right by the doorway. She told me something that concerns about my job. I was a working student in the university so, lucky me, I made a lot of friends now.

 

When she bids her goodbye, I turned around to get back inside the room, but then I bumped unto someone hardly. I heard him grunt when my head hit his chest.

 

“Oh my, I’m sorry,” I said, rubbing my forehead as I took a step backward.

 

“I’m sorry too, I didn’t saw you coming,” he said. I looked up and my eyes dilated at view right in front of me. For the first time, I heard his voice. Sehun stared at me with a frown. “Are you okay?”

 

Not knowing how to compose myself, I nodded my head. “Yeah, I-I’m fine.”

 

He didn’t spoke back but just nodded his head. He instantaneously walks away like rushing for something. I remained standing, watching his back as he took fast steps through the hallway. Was he avoiding me? I can feel my heart again beating rapid this time.

 


He was the boy who rarely talks. He rather chooses to be alone than hang out like those kids at his age.

 He was a loner by choice. He rather chooses to lock himself inside the room and play online games. If not, he would indulge himself by reading books.

I’m starting to know more about him. It was time to make a move.


 

For the following weeks, I noticed he occasionally attends his classes. He rarely shows up. He shows up only if it was an examination week. But lucky for him, he was still a smart —being able to get the highest scores despite of those absences.

 

 

Yesterday, the professor gave us homework. We must list at least 100 examples of file extension, and we must include on what specific programs would a file runs. (e.g. .mp3 for VLC)

 

I printed a copy which I researched last night. While waiting for the teacher to arrive, Sehun shows up and got inside the room. He took off one earphone as he sat down, noticing some of our classmates doing the homework. He was absent for three days.

 

I took a deep breath and walked to him. Sehun flinched when I showed him the printed paper. He looked up to me with a stoic expression.

 

“A homework. You can copy this one. Make it quick, the teacher’s gonna be here any minute soon.” Without hearing him reply, I placed the paper on his desk and turns around, heading back to my seat.

 

 

The class ended after the professor dismissed us. I was busy fixing my things when I felt a presence standing beside my seat. I blinked and looked up.

 

Sehun cleared his throat and said, “Thanks for letting me copy it,” he said, giving me back the paper. “It was a great help.”

 

And the next thing he did took me aback. He smiled… so genuine, so warm.

 

I was about to make a reply, but before I could utter a word, Sehun already left. I blinked and stared at the printed paper I lent him. I really don’t know what was happening to me. All that I could feel is the hard pounding inside my chest and my cheeks getting warmer.

 

I let out a sigh. I stood up from my seat, now realizing that I was the only person left inside the room. I put all my things inside the bag and slung it over my back.

 

I was heading my way to the door when, a peculiar object caught my attention. I furrowed my eyebrows and walked to the seat. I took the cloth in one hand and lift it up, trying to get a good look of the object.

 

It was a jacket. From looking at it, I conclude it was owned by a guy.

 

I just shrugged my shoulders and fold the jacket neatly. I need to keep it and give it back tomorrow to whoever owns this one because I know it was my classmate’s. I zipped my bag after putting the found jacket inside and then left the room.

 


Everything about him is mysterious. I can see trough his face that he was tiring himself.

He was paler now. His lips shade no color. His eyes explicate sleepiness.

Why is he doing this to himself?


 

After I finished putting on my pajamas, I got to my bed and open my schoolbag to start working with my homework. The first thing that caught my attention was that jacket. I pulled the item out and peculiarly stared at it. I puffed my cheeks and inserted a hand inside the pockets. I felt something stiff and immediately pulled it out.

 

It was a flashdrive. I contemplated whether I should check the files in it or not. But the owner’s identity intrigues me. If I were be able to know who owns these things then it would be a less bothersome for me to make an announcement tomorrow at the class.

 

I bit my lip and crawled on my bed to open my laptop. I plugged in the flashdrive and opened the files contained inside.

 

There is a folder for all manga images. The owner must be an otaku, I thought and released a chuckle. For a typical college student, there are folders for program installers, document files, my music, videos, photos, games… photos.

 

I double-clicked the folder named ‘photos’. Inside it, there were folders named ‘Warriors’, ‘DOTA’, ‘Diablo’, ‘War Rock’… oh, this person is such a gamer. I grinned and leaned closer to the screen as I continued scrolling down. But the very last folder made my eyes goggle.

 

‘Cute’—it was the name. I bit my lip and snorted, trying my best not to laugh hard. My thought would be that this folder contains images of teddy bears or some images of anime girls. I giggled and clicked the folder open.

 

My shoulders literally shrank down when I recognized the photos. All, photos of me? Some of the photos were downloaded from my Facebook. There were even snapshots of me at the class.

 

Now, who owned this thing!!!

 

I frowned as I went back to the flashdrive’s desktop. I went in to the folder named ‘my documents’ and opened one file.

 

I could feel my body stiffened when the document opened and the owner’s name was shown.

 

Oh Sehun.

 

No, no, no. This was not Sehun’s flashdrive. I tried to open another file but it has his name too. Apparently, majority of all the files has his name in it.

 

All the confusions came to me. If this was actually Sehun’s flashdrive, then, why does he have my photos? What made him open my Facebook profile without bothering to add me as a friend? I searched for his name on the site but it turns out to be that he doesn’t have a Facebook. I don’t even know his cell phone number!

 

I let out an astonished chuckle and I rolled over, facing the ceiling. I touched my chest, tapping it lightly, trying to stop my heart beating like crazy.

 


I don’t know how to react. A part of me finds it discourteous that it even made me angry.

But the feeling is too good to be true.

Does he really check me out? How long does he stare at my photos?

I need to get my answers soon.


 

I saw Sehun standing by his locker, scribbling something inside with a frown on his face—probably looking for something. I made an exhale and walked to him.

 

“Sehun-ah,” he immediately turned his head at me. I swallowed hard and slowly lift up my hand, showing him the dark-brown jacket. “Is this yours?”

 

He gasped as he recognized the object. He nervously his lips and nodded his head. “Y-yeah, i-it is mine.”

 

“I found it on a seat. I guessed you must’ve left it there,” I said and lifts my hand higher.

 

Sehun cleared his throat and took the object from me. When he already had it on his grasp, he slots his hand in the pockets. He shuts his eyes close when he felt his flashdrive’s presence inside.

 

I tensed and inched back. “Well then, I should get going.”

 

I turned my heels around and started walking back to the classroom.

 

“Wait.” he called. I stopped walking and peeked over my shoulder. I looked at him expectantly.

 

“Yes?”

 

“H-how did you know this was mine?” he asked. I held my breath and looked away. “D-did you bother exploring my flashdrive?”

 

How do I answer this? If I tell him I did, then it would mean I’m barging trough his things. I had to cover up.

 

“I saw you yesterday wearing that jacket. And, it was placed on your desk. So, I know it was yours.”

 

He simultaneously blinked his eyes before his lips and nods his head. “Oh, thanks.”

 

I curved up my lips to make a small smile. I nodded my head before starting to walk again.

 


The presence of you makes me look like a dumb person. How dare you can make my knees go jelly?

I already know what I feel. But you, do you feel the same way too?


 

One week to go before the semester would end. That means one week more I could see Sehun in my class.

 

We were inside the computer laboratory for a hands-on activity. I the computer and when the desktop showed up, the first thing that appeared was a window. There were textboxes asking for your name and your birthday.

 

“Uhm, sir? What is this? Do we need to fill it in?” my classmate asked. I noticed the other computers had it too.

 

“Oh, just leave it there. We can’t remove that window. It just appeared today. Apparently, all computer laboratories have that one. The faculty conducted an investigation of who was the one putted that up. We guessed it was a student,” he said.

 

“Then how will you remove it?” another classmate asked.

 

“We tried to debug that program. It was asking for specific data and if that input matches the variables, the program will terminate itself.”

 

“Cool! The person who made this must be heck smart programmer!”

 

“Yeah, he really is. He was able to crash into the department’s main server. So now, all laboratories’ computers have that window. It was like a virus.”

 

I furrowed my eyebrows and stared at the monitor. A student can make this? I just can’t believe it. If a student will be able to make this kind of program, or more like a computer virus, then he must be really a smart kid. Crashing the main server? What is this person? A hacker?

 

“Okay class, just leave that window there and open your files. Let’s have a hands-on activity,” the professor announced.

 

I got a glimpse of my classmate beside me, typing her name to that window and her birthdate. A notification pops out.

 

‘Sorry, this program is not for you.’

 

Aish, the person who made this must be getting out of his mind,” my classmate murmured.

 

I bit my lip and stared at my monitor again. This is very suspicious. I looked at the text cursor blinking inside the textbox, waiting for the user’s input.

 

I looked around the room and saw Sehun sitting by the window. He was staring at the monitor screen, his face emotionless.

 

 

Just like what the professor told us, we did our activity. And as expected, Sehun was the one who finished first. He had finished the activity in just thirty minutes. After the professor checked his work, he told the boy that he can already leave the class.

 

As walking his way to the door, my classmates looked at him in awe. The activity was literally difficult, but for him, it looks like just a piece of cake. When he held the doorknob, he made a bow at the professor before getting out.

 

I watched the door closed. How could he be so smart? I lightly shook my head before facing the monitor again. I need to finish this activity too.

 


He was obviously a nerd. How could he be so smart? Everything for him is easy.

Does he have his weaknesses too?


 

Friday came and the computer virus wasn’t removed yet. I didn’t dare to try inputting my name and birthdate yet, but who cares?

 

Today, the class was released early. Some of my classmates already left the laboratory, while for me, I stayed on the computer to reorganize my files in the flashdrive. After I closed all the windows on the taskbar, the mysterious program appeared again. I was staring at it for while, and when I pulled out my flashdrive from the USB plug, I bit my lip and composed myself.

 

I clicked the first textbox and typed my name. I typed my birthdate next in the second textbox before clicking the OK button.

 

A new window popped out. ‘Are you really this person? For confirmation, please enter your pet’s name.’

 

How did he know I have a pet? I was literally taken aback. I hesitantly typed the name of my pet cat, and then, click OK.

 

The window faded and a new one appeared. Now, it was a message. I leaned closer and read the texts.

 

Hello, it’s me Sehun. Oh Sehun. You know me because we’re classmates.’

 

My eyes widened after reading his name, making me cup my mouth in surprise. Sehun? Sehun made this?! I frowned and continued reading.

 

‘You might think I’m a weird person, right? I know you’re trying to approach me, but every time I am in front of you, I loss for words.

 

I am not the coolest guy you might know. I talk less. Everyone thinks I’m creepy. Every girl is afraid to approach me.

 

But, you, you’re different. You’re the very first girl who bravely started making a conversation to me. You’re the very first girl who made me smile like a fool.

 

I think, I like you. I want to confess my feelings, but I’m afraid you would stop talking to me. I’m afraid you won’t look at me again.

 

From that very day you helped me with my homework, I knew there’s something in my heart that lit up.

 

I want you to know that I’m not a bad person. I rarely talk, but don’t think I’m intimidating.

 

This must be the stupidest way of love confession in the whole world, but this is the only way I can express my feelings towards you.

 

This Saturday, I’ll be waiting for you at the park. I’ll be sitting there at the 8th bench from the gate. I’ll be there the whole afternoon. I will wait. I want to see you.’

 

My mouth agapes after reading the message—or I should say: Sehun’s confession. I lazily slumps my back on the lean. Saturday, so it will be tomorrow.

 

I can’t believe it. Sehun actually likes me. Sehun made this virus to make his confession. I let out a healthy smile, feeling the tingles sent to me for what had just occurred. I silently giggled on my seat, my cheeks red crimson this time.

 

Before anyone could see my work on the computer, I clicked the OK button again, and then, the window disappeared. I heard my classmates gasped.

 

“Dude, the virus is gone!” someone yelled.

 

“Yeah, look at the computers. There was no mysterious window anymore!”

 

I chuckled and got up from my seat. I laughed after I got out the room.

 


I never thought he feels the same thing too. But thinking about it, he was the worse one.


 

I peeked behind the tree and looked at the rows of benches at the edge of the field. I started counting and when my finger reached the 8th bench, I smiled when I saw Sehun sitting there alone. He was looking around with craned neck. He was sitting uncomfortably.

 

I gigged and watched him looking for me. He was dressed nicely today. He was clad in a rolled up sleeve with a white shirt inside, a jeans and sneakers. I pitied him when I saw him sigh, his expression describes eager.

 

I saw some kids passing by on their bicycles. I wild idea popped my mind.

 

“Hey, little missy!” I called one girl on her pink bicycle, almost breathless. She stopped pedaling and looked at me expectantly.

 

“Are you calling me?” she asked, pointing herself. I bit my lip and nodded. I signaled her closer. She playfully shrugs her shoulders and pedaled her way to me. I peeked at Sehun again, and good thing he didn’t saw us. “What is it?”

 

“Can I have a favor?”

 

“Oh no, if you’re going to give something to eat, then I won’t. Mom said never take anything from a stranger,” she said and raised both of her hands.

 

“What? No! I’m not that kind of person!” I whispered, my nose wrinkling.

 

“Then what is it?” she asked impatient.

 

I opened my sling bag and took out a small note pad. I wrote something on the paper before scratching it out and give it to the girl.

 

“Did you see that guy over there?” I pointed her at Sehun on the bench.

 

“Uh-huh?”

 

“Give this note to him. If he’s going to ask about me, don’t tell anything.” I said and placed the note on her hand.

 

“Whoah, okay.” She eyed at the note before looking up to me. “Then what’s the benefit?” she snorted.

 

I gritted my teeth and pulled out a dollar from the pocket. “How about this one? Deal?”

 

“Okay then,” she snatch out the money from my hand before pedaling her way to Sehun. When she left, I walked away.

 

 

“Excuse me, mister.” Sehun eyed the girl on her bicycle.

 

“Me?” Sehun pointed himself. “Yes? How can I help you?”

 

“This is for you. Bye!” the girl gave the note to Sehun and pedals away.

 

Sehun frowned and reads the note. His eyes widened. He knew I was coming. He got up from the bench and tried to follow the little girl.

 

“Don’t even try to follow her, Sehun-ah.” I said, walking behind him. He froze and turns around, looking at me shock. He called my name.

 

I grinned and took a step closer to him. He simultaneously blinked his eyes and lets out an astonished sigh.

 

He smiled and took a step closer to me. “I thought you won’t come.”

 

I grinned again and sat on the bench. He took a sit beside me too.

 

He was staring at me, and this time, the smile didn’t leave his features.

 

I playfully pushed his shoulder and glared at him. “Yah, how could you crash into the department’s server? If the faculty finds out you’re the one who did the virus, have you ever thought you could actually get an expulsion?”

 

He sighed and hung his head low. “It’s safe. It was a self-destructive program.”

 

I kind of feel pity for him, but the way he says he was sorry—I couldn’t help but fell for his charm. He may have looked mature, but he was a kid inside. Without thinking twice, I came to hug his neck. I can feel him getting stiff at my action.

 

Pabo, don’t do something like that, okay? What if you’ll get expelled? You won’t see me anymore.” I muttered, lightly rubbing his back.

 

Mian, I promise I won’t,” he said. I could visualize him pouting right now. “I just like you. I can’t think of anything how I should say it to you.”

 

I chuckled. “Then, you should’ve told me right away. I promise I won’t get angry.”

 

I heard him smile and put his hands around my waist. “I like you,’ he whispered.

 

I could feel my heart leaping in joy. I just knew I like Sehun too. And, I think, I love him now.

 

“Sehun-ah.”

 

“No, I love you. I’ve loved you since I made that program.”

 

I didn’t say anything but just hugged him. He called my name. “Yes?”

 

“Do you like me back?” he asked. The way he said it sounded like a lost child.

 

I chuckled and whispered, “Do you think I will meet you here if I don’t like you? Do you think I will hug you in public if I don’t like you too? Hmm?”

 

He laughed and rests his chin on my shoulder. “Saranghae.”

 

“Nadoo, saranghanda, Sehun-ah.”

 

 

 

A\N: Mr. Programmer, where are you?  I miss you 3