i

Surprises and Confessions

 

The morning light was beautiful and warm. The rays lit on to my somehow pinkish white skin. I headed off to school; I don’t want to be late. My bag was slightly heavy since I brought three of my text books. I reached the silver and tall gates of the school in no time. Everyone in the school was smiling, mostly students. I continued walking to the old building were my classes are held. My girl schoolmates were acting really weird today, squealing at each other, with make-up at its best. I couldn’t put a finger on it, and as I checked my phone, I realized today’s a big day, it was Valentine’s Day.

I geared my way up to the fourth floor, to the third room, and noticed some of my classmates were standing before the door. I rushed to them nervously since the first class is with our Math teacher.

“What are you doing outside? Did she just kick you out?” A whisper from my lips came out. My eyes hovered to them and I nervously cupped both hands to prevent them from trembling. I came early and yet this is what I got.

Before someone answered me, I paced the door and tried to look inside through the small square glass, but I was disappointed, it was covered by a black paper. Who in the world would do that? I clicked my tongue and joined my friends in the corridor, sitting.

A few minutes passed by and I was starting to get really pissed off, the door clicked.

“Someone was inside our room beforehand.” I muttered as my eyes rolled. I saw Dae Sung’s head peeped through the tiny little space he had provided for it.

“Girls, you can now come in.” He stood and opened the door for us. One by one, we entered our room. I was the sixth, if I could remember it correct. My feet slowly wandered on how our room transformed. The chairs were placed and arranged into a box-shape to the sides. There were decorations hanging on the ceiling, heart shapes, colorful post-its and fake roses. The blackboard was filled with doodles of course about today’s event.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

We love you.

Be ready for surprises!

I propped myself to the chair, sitting two seats beside a friend. My best friend sat behind me, since there were two rows in the middle portion of the room. I dropped my bag and sighed in awe.

So that’s why they were meeting up at the fire exit these past few days. They already planned this. Even my guy best friend, Jiyong, avoided my queries about this when I bring this up. There was a sudden silence when Mrs. Kim entered the room…

“Good morning, the boys of this class requested that this should be rendered for our hearts, since I am good-hearted, I allowed them to have a private celebration for you. Enjoy!” She smiled as she went outside and the class shouted in excitement. Even I yelled for joy. It’s just too interesting since our boys were really the sweetest.

Seung Ri took the floor and prompted us about this little surprise.

“Hello, since we have already wasted 5 minutes, might as well start the show!” He chirped and went outside. The music started. It was slow and sweet. All of the girls, including me were giddy. I couldn’t stay properly in my seat. Seung Ri came back, holding a rose, a white rose, and gave it to my classmate. His smile melted each girl in the room.

Each of the boys entered like that, with a rose and gave it to a girl. But it was different for those who have relationship with the girl. When Young Bae entered the room, he had a bouquet of roses and chocolates. He walked to my direction and gave it to my best friends.

We all howled as she received it, her smile was up to her ears that time. But really, Young Bae was a sweet and gentle guy, no wonder I ship them so hard. A few moments later, Dae Sung went in and gave the rose to his girl best friend.

Then it was Tabi’s turn, he went inside with a heart-jumping smile no one could ever resist. My heart skipped a beat since he was there, holding a white rose. I had a big crush on him. No, HUGE crush to be honest. He was my eye-candy, my inspiration for the past two years. I wonder if he knows my feelings for him.

“But if you don’t tell him, you might get your heart broken…” My best friend said. I knew she was just concerned with my feelings but I had no plan in confessing. Maybe I am just too shy, or maybe too coward.

Almost everyone in the room had a crush on him, but all the girls knew that my case is different. They were all aware that I am not having just a crush on him, I love him, maybe. He started to walk, and my heart stopped beating. He was on my direction, with his deep eyes glued upon me. I gulped, I am not prepared with this.

He was closer than ever and my nervousness in on the next level. Just to ease myself, I tried to distract myself by rummaging into my bag. I was intimately bracing myself with upcoming situation that he’ll give me the rose, but something went off. He gave the rose to the girl two seats away from me. All I thought that I was the one who’ll be receiving the rose, but I was wrong. Frustration was all over my body. Why did I even thought that he’ll be giving his rose to me?

I frowned to myself, lowering my head. My best friend immediately felt my disappointment and she squeezed my shoulder from the back, giving me “It’s okay” signal.

Tabi turned his back and suddenly met my eyes. I tried not to look so awful by giving him a small smile. He had his way to the boys who are in a line after they gave their roses. Then Jiyong entered, I slackened my body to the chair where I was seated. For sure, they would tease us. He became my best friend a couple of months ago so they think we are dating.

Well, observing our skinship, one would really think we are a couple. He loves to hold my hand, I like his scent when I hug him. We would oftentimes banter like crazy people on the street. We even kiss, on the cheeks. He was my confidante and I am his secret spy. He knew how I felt about Tabi.

He went to me and gave his roses. Yeah, they were two roses. I excitingly received it and hugged him oh-so tight. Even though the one with Tabi was heart-breaking, he was able to cheer me up. I whispered “Thank you” to him while he said “It’s ok” signal.

Some boys also went inside until we are complete. Seung Ri took over the microphone and started to entertain us. He has the potential of being a good MC someday. He gave the mic to Dae Sung.

“This song, is for you girls, happy Valentine’s day…” His voice was spine-tingling. Young Bae did the guitars, every now and then he sends winks to my best friend, she dies out of delight every time. Dae Sung’s voice was perfect, he hit the high notes effortlessly. We moved out heads side to side as we sang with him.

The program ended as with the bell rang. But the boys were good enough to talk to the second and third class teachers that they agreed that they won’t teach for today. Our class is just there, sitting and talking to each other every now and then. At times, the boyfriends of our other classmates surprised them in class and give gifts or sing to them. How sweet, I thought.

I would oftentimes pat my forehead whenever I remember how assuming I was at that moment. I want to punch myself for feeling that way. I closed my eyes in awe; Tabi would never ever notice me, that I am just one of the girls who have a crush on him.

Maybe I should confess. No. No. There is no way you will make me confess to him, never. Even if he transfers to another school, even if he goes to another country, even if he sends himself to the military, no.

I stood up and went to the empty seat beside where my best friend sat. She was busily and secretly munching on the chocolate Young Bae gave to her. She handed me one piece of Ferrero Rocher and I immediately unwrapped it.

“You’re so lucky you have Young Bae…” I said while crumpling the foils, I swallowed it whole, letting the chocolate melt in my mouth.

“Yeah, we always got some chocolate supplies…” Her tiny voice squealed and cackled with mine. Her curls flowed beautifully on her shoulders down to her chest.

“But seriously, I am lucky to have him…” She spoke in a serious tone, making me look at her. “…still no plans of confessing?” She asked, though she is very childish, she has this side of being a protective and concerned friend, especially for me. Her hand crept to mine and gave another squeeze.

“Negative.” I murmured under a breath. I looked at Tabi’s seat. He was busily texting somebody, maybe his Valentine date. My best friend gave me another squeeze when I sighed.

I knew the risk of not confessing. I knew the risk of being hurt in the end. But there is one thing I know, I know the risk of being rejected and dumped by a guy.

“Don’t stereotype boys, we all know that he is different from—“

“Don’t say his name, please.” I cut her off. Maybe I have type casted guys. I don’t want to hear his name ever again.

“I am so sorry, but I don’t like girls who are too innocent.” He said while he walked away from me. Even he and his friends were far from me, I could hear their annoying chortles and laughs.

I changed myself from that day; I didn’t cut my hair till it was on chest length. By the time it was on my desired length, I cut it so short and even had full bangs. They often say I already look like a Japanese student now. I knew how to do the things guys usually do. I learned basketball, even mechanics; well my dad taught me that.

The bell rang and it was time for lunch. I invited Young Bae and Seung Ri to eat with us at the rooftop. Jiyong was away since he was busy with the school paper. Being the editor-in-chief, pressure was over his head. Luckily, I am just a photojournalist and news writer.

We had a great time eating and sharing what we got. Young Bae and my best friend were so sweet, ants were muzzling over them. Seung Ri was the troll, sitting in the middle of the couple while I was faced them.

By the time we had finished our lunch, the couple went downstairs to grab something to drink. Seung Ri and I were left.

“So, how did you feel when Bingu didn’t give his rose for you?” He gossiped, he loves to gossip around, especially when we talk about the heart. He knew that I yearn for Tabi and he seemed to be so interested in our situation.

“Well, I was hurt…” I put my hands on chest and scrunched my nose to depict a hurting feeling. I pouted my lips and replied in between breathes. He laughed at me and I became serious.

“But, it really hurt.” I sternly looked at him. I sighed as I gazed around the area. The wind was refreshing.

“Hey, I want to tell you something…” He poked my shoulder and I looked at him. He seemed like he was telling a revelation.

“When we were meeting for the surprise, we had talked about the rose-giving stuff…” He started off. I nodded as I listened to what he said.

“We shouldn’t miss any girl in class; everyone should be receiving a rose.” He added.

“…By the time we were choosing the girl that we’ll be giving a rose, Jiyong and Tabi raised their hands when your name was dropped.” My eyes widen in wonder. What is this? Does this mean he likes me too? I clenched my fist in anticipation that he likes me too.

“But since Jiyong is your best friend, Dae Sung said that Jiyong will give it to you.” Seung Ri further explained why things went like that. Oh Jiyong, my other protective best friend. Maybe that’s why there was a note on his roses.

Happy Valentine’s Day. You know how much I love you, neh? Take care. Sorry.

Jiyong wanted me not to be hurt. He was protecting me and my feelings. I should make him a cake when I have some spare time.

“Don’t be so emotional about it, arasso?” Seung Ri ruffled my hair as he left me at the rooftop. He excused that he’ll be confessing today to the hot chick in the room next to ours.

I stood up and fixed my lunchbox, five more minutes and the classes will resume again. I was on my way to the door when somebody opened it, it was him, Tabi. I was a bit taken aback when I saw him since he doesn’t go to the rooftop.

“Hey.” His deep voice spoke, making me almost jump. His voice was one of the most unique ones I have ever heard in my life.

“Hi…” I went for a deep, deep breath and smiled at him.

“Happy with your Valentine’s day?” He asked, looking at another direction.

“So far, so good.” I answered, it would have been the best if he just gave the rose to me. I fiddled my bracelet to ease myself.

“Can I ask you a favor?”

“What is it Tabi?”

“Close your eyes please…” His voice almost sounded pleading. I was hesitant at first, but I didn’t let that one get the better off me. I closed my eyes and felt my breaths, my heartbeats, and my body.

A few moments passed by and he said he was ready and I could already open my eyes. I first open my left eye slowly, then my right. I saw was holding something big. It was a bouquet of green roses. He handed it to me carefully.

“They say that green roses mean forever, unending love…” He shyly said as he scratched his nape. I had nothing to say, I was speechless by the moment.

“Tabi… Are you confessing?” I knew it was obvious but I had to make sure. I had to make sure things are real, not mere illusions of my crazy mind. He slowly nodded with a sure smile that melted my heart.

I drew myself close to him and hugged him. I tiptoed myself because of height difference. I smelled the scent of his perfume and it suited his personality.

“I like you since the day you slept on my shoulder, when we were on our way to Busan…” He said in my ear, almost tickling me.

My mind tried to remember that day, when we had our fieldtrip to Busan and I did nothing inside the bus but sleep, sleep on his shoulders. He was such a quiet student back then, since he transferred in the middle of the school year. I held him tighter and smiled to his sweet confession. I never thought it would be this way.

“Don’t worry, I like you too.” I said. He pushed me gently with a big smile on his face.

“Can you close your eyes again?” He asked, I didn’t said a word and shut my eyes.

My heart was leaping for joy with what happened this moment. Before I could say anything while I couldn’t see anything, I felt the warmth of his lips against me, he kissed me.

 


Hello, so I hope I got all the members with rightful amount of exposure, though Tabi is the love interest of the OC.

Let us spazz/cry/scream/wail our hearts together because it's Big Bang's 6th anniversary. :)

Let me know what you think about this, okay?

I just made this, this night so bear with me. :)

<333