Maybe not so much a surprise

Maybe not so much a surprise

*Eun bin pov*

"Shh, not so loud, Eun ho-yah. We want to surprise Appa, don't we?"

Two little heads bob up and down at me. It's Seung ho's birthday today so the boys decided that they wanted to decorate the dining room with streamers and balloons to surprise him. They've been up all morning decorating and drawing pictures to hang on the walls and I have to say it really is heart warming to watch them work so diligently at it.

They each made him a present out of clay, painting them when they dried. I have no idea what they are supposed to be but Eun ho claims that his blob is a Dragon and Eun so's started out as a basket ball rim but then morphed into a basket ball. They are convinced that Seung ho will love them and I'm convinced that Seung ho is going to be adding two new paper weights to his desk after this. Being the annoying toddlers that they are they refused to let me help them wrap anything, so two giant balls of bundled up paper sit on the table covered in two rolls of tape and glue.

"Eun so-yah! Get your fingers off the cake!"

I run over as I scold him. He's standing on one of the chairs, hovering over the cake I made this morning. He ignores me and grabs a whole hand full of icing with his little fingers as his face lights up with joy. He looks at it like it's a Christmas present before quickly stuffing it in his mouth before I reach him. Most of it goes on his face as he gives me a sheepish look. I take him off the chair, wiping his face with a napkin, and put him down on the ground telling him to go play with his brother. When his little footsteps carry him away I turn back to the cake and try to fix the damage with a knife.

I never thought I was going to be one of those house wife's that baked cakes and waited around for her husband to get home, but I guess that's what I've turned into. I don't think I mind either. It's kind of fun to be domestic.

I hear the front door open. "Ok, guys, I think Appa's home." I whisper. They both make excited noises and jump up and down excitedly. "Hide and I'll bring him in here. Do you remember what to say when he comes in?"

"saengil chukkae!" They yell.

I laugh because there is no way that Seung ho didn't hear that. "Good job. Now go hide and wait until we come in."

They scurry off and I watch as Eun ho hides under the table and Eun so stands behind a chair. They both are clearly visible. I give each of them a wink and thumbs up as I walk out of the room and to the main hallway. Seung ho's putting his cloak in the closet when I reach him.

"Hey, handsome." I say. He turns around and looks at me. There's a smile on his face but I can tell something is troubling him. "Are you ok?" I ask as I step over to him.

"Ye," he kisses my cheek. "It was just a long day."

"Well, you're in for a treat then. I'm here to you to the dining room."

He raises his eyebrows at me playfully and follows me down the hall when I take his hand.

"Go find your own hiding spot!" yells Eun ho. "This is mine!"

"I tell Mommy!" Eun so yells back.

We're almost to the door and we can hear every word they're yelling at each other. "I don't care. Go away!"

"It's Appa's birfday. Not you!" shouts Eun so and I can tell he's pouting with out even seeing him. They're going to start hitting each other soon.

Seung ho puts his hand on the door knob and looks at me with an amused raised eyebrow. "Do you think it's safe to go in?"

I roll my eyes. "At least pretend to be surprised. They did work really hard today."

He nods his head and opens the door. The boys are facing each other with angry faces and their hands balled up into fists at their sides. They turn to us when Seung ho clears his throat.

"Appa!" Yells Eun so as he and Eun ho come running over.

"Do you remember what you were supposed to say?" I question as they nearly tackle him to the floor.

"saengil chukkae, Appa!" they yell as they climb all over him trying to get his attention.

Seung ho laughs as he hikes them under each of his arms and carries them to the table. "What is all of this?" he questions.

"It's you birfday presents!" squeals Eun so from Seung ho's side.

Seung ho gives me a look from over his shoulder. "They wrapped them themselves." I say.

"I can tell." He says lightly as he puts them down. "Why don't we sit down and you can tell me what all you did today."

He takes a seat at the head of the table with a kid on each knee. They both start talking quickly at the same time and you can't understand a word either of them are saying. Seung ho, being the good appa that he is, just nods his head in agreement and smiles every now and then at their story. I see him look at the lopsided cake with a small smile on his face and then back up to me.

"Did you make that culinary masterpiece?" he asks.

I place my hands on my hips. "Hey, it looked good before your son got a hold of it. Let's sing happy birthday so we can eat dinner."

I dim the lights and light the candles as the boys start singing a chopped up version of the birthday song. When they're finished they both take it up on themselves to blow out the candles for him.

"Open my present first!" says Eun ho as he runs to the end of the table and grabs his ball of wrapping paper.

"No mine!" Yells Eun so as he does the same.

I catch him before he can run back. "Why don't we let Eun ho hyung go first." I say to him. He starts whining. "We're saving the best for last." I whisper to him and he smiles.

It takes Seung ho a good two minutes to free the statue of all of the paper and tape. The look on his face is priceless as he looks at the green blob in his hands.

"Do you know what it is, Appa?" questions Eun ho.

Seung ho looks to me for help but I just smirk at him. "Umm… well….is it a plant?"

I see Eun ho' face fall and he shakes his head no. I guess I should help out now. "Appa's just joking, Eun ho-yah... He's knows that it's a dragon." I say as I look at Seung ho.

"The best dragon I've ever seen." Says Seung ho as he gives him a hug.

Eun so's turn is next and while he's opening it he tells him what it is. "It a basket ball."

Seung ho starts laughing and when he frees the 'basket ball' he just nods his head and tells him thank you. I tell the boys to sit in their seats so we can eat.

The rest of the evening our family have so much fun celebrate seung ho’s birthday.