Chapter 4

Forefeiting Destiny (Previous: Guilty)

 

CHAPTER 4

 

When they went back inside, their parents were discussing over the date of their wedding three months from now. The engagement party would be held in three weeks, the Heo family said that they needed to introduce her to public. She was experiencing a mental breakdown and just nodded to every word the elders said. The novel truth she just got was more than enough to cause a doomsday on her already messed up mind.

For the time being, there were only two things she was sure of. First, Youngsaeng was amnesiac. Second, in whatever way, someone must have given him the idea that they were engage in a romantic relationship. How and why did it happen, those were riddles for her to solve.

Out of all the elders there, Youngsaeng’s father appeared to be really determine, it convinced her that they would end up getting married whatever happened. His mother, what could she say, she grasped the idea that she didn’t like her. While her parents, they were swallowing their hearts down hard.

***

 

She got prove to her thoughts right the next day.

Heo Gongshil called in the morning, asking to meet her in private. She agreed right away. She had wanted to find his contact in the first place, asking for the same thing. She needed explanation for all the crazy things that just happened in her life.

They met on a golf course in Namsungdae where the elder had a schedule of playing golf with his colleagues. He told her the story of a car accident happened eight months ago.

Youngsaeng was driving home in drunken state after a party and broke through the guardrail. No one was dead but he was unconscious for the whole week. Parts of his memories were lost, mostly people’s faces and names, also events.

“I’m too old now. It’s the time he should take over the company. To do that, he needs a great woman beside him.” He had said with an authoritative tone.

The question of why and how Youngsaeng came to believing that they were a lover joined the tensed air around her. Seungyeon felt really dumb as realization hit through, this was just the normal way rich people behaved to take control over their heir. He used her to uphold the grip he had on his son.

But who was she to complain when she also used Youngsaeng to solve on her family problem.

What a world.

***

 

Accepting reality was the most important thing to do in the worst condition. She did that. She no longer contemplated over her decision on the marriage. Her parents too had stopped arguing her, coaxing that she could think about it again, and prayed to the God for her happiness everyday instead.

The hard piece left for now was Kim Sunggyu.

Her heart flinched in pain every time she thought about him. How life had turned to be so cruel and shattered their dream apart, she didn’t want to ask anymore.

She kept avoiding him while his text message had turn into implicit demands of reasons. Until one point, she couldn’t bear it anymore.

Gathering her guts, she took an early leave from work and went grocery shopping, buying all the ingredients needed to make his favorite food. It would be the last thing she did for him.

As expected, he hadn’t back home yet when she arrived at his apartment. Her hands were trembling as she keyed in the password she remembered by the heart, the date of their anniversary. She clutched it together, determined to come clean and not to hurt him any longer with her selfish hide-seek game.

It took an hour until she finished cooking everything. She set the table, fixed the make up that were ruined by tears as it flowed along the poignant substance of onion earlier, and then texted him to come home. While she did all of those things, her head screamed how painfully beautiful their situation was. She used to dream doing all of that every day, in her future life as his wife. But she did it as a separation gift.

Funny wasn’t it?

She rooted her self in the couch as she waited for him. She had felt like touring his place for the last time. But she prevented her self from doing so, because she knew it held so much memory of them and she might get waver again.

When he walked inside, looking tired but usually handsome with his working suit, she maintained to put a smile on her face. He threw his suitcase to the nearest couch and reached for her, bringing her into his arm. She missed that so much, the warm and safe feelings of being with him. A thought passed her mind, thought to beg him to bring her far far away to the place where no one knew them, to the world where they could live up to their promise of being together through life.

“What taking you so long?” He said as they broke the hug, eyes smiling at her.

She smiled faintly, not knowing what to say. Suddenly she lost all the courage. How could she be so selfish, not considering about his feelings? How she supposed to explain every thing to him now?

What pained her more was that he didn’t even press her any further for explanation. He got the signal that she couldn’t explain it at the moment. Understandingly, he pecked her lips once and let the topic pass away.

“Oh, I smell the delicious Spicy Braised Chicken and…kimchi scramble eggs? Did you cook?”

He excitedly pulled her to the dining table, pecked her lips again as he saw what he expected spreading neatly in plates around the table. Immediately, he rolled his sleeves, not even bothering to change clothes first.

They talked about works and things they did for the past days as they swallowed the food. He told her how he missed her cooking.

“When was it the last time I ate the lunch you brought for me?”

She knew there was more to his words, he was trying to imply that it had been too long since the last time he saw her.

He insisted to help her on doing the dishes, but she shooed him away, told him that she could do it alone and he better changed his clothes and took a shower.

When he went out of the bedroom looking all fresh, she was arranging the magazines and newspapers in the coffee table. There went the warm spread all over his self; he thought maybe he should propose to her soon. He could live on with this image every day, her and him in their own home with their children.

Stopping what she was doing, he turned her around to face him.

“I missed you.” He whispered.

The words finally broke out but she was confused on how to reply to it. She definitely felt the same as him, just the next ridiculous stories she would tell didn’t fit her words. She was about to cut him off her life, what right did she had to say all those sweet nothings?

“Sunggyu-ya, I need to tell you something.”

Her expression notified him that it wouldn’t be something pretty, making him unconsciously loosen up the arms around her.

“What’s wrong?”

“I-us-…l- let’s break up.”

***

 

It was a miracle that she could drive back home without getting into an accident despite her condition. She was trembling so hard, tears just wouldn’t stop running down her face. She pulled over in a sideway and cried her heart out loud inside the vehicle.

Sunggyu had laughed out loud earlier, thinking that she was playing some jokes. Though as he looked at her stiff expression, his face then changed into the same one. At first, he calmly asked what her reason was but as she answered with her prepared lies―that she just didn’t love him anymore, that her feelings were fading away and everything―he yelled at her to do it properly.

“If you’re going not to tell me the truth then at least create a better lie.” He had said coldly.

But she kept insisting that it was the truth and he was being delusional for thinking she was telling lies. In the end, he chased her away, saying that he didn’t want to hear anymore from her for the time being, they would talk again if she was ready to tell him the truth.

She gathered her stuffs and walked to the doorway. In that short time, she remembered that her engagement party was only two weeks away and she probably wouldn’t get the courage to talk to him again. So, before really walking out of the door, she told him, “No matter what, I mean this one. Let’s break up. It’s over now, Gyu.”

After some time, she felt numb. All the pain and unclear thoughts gave her dark vision. For a second she wanted to die, but the image of her parents and little brother brought her to reality again. She wouldn’t back out now. Not when she already sacrificed this much. She had to stay alive; she would endure all of this and walked out as the winner. No matter how it would end.

******************************************************************************************

 

 

 

A/N:

Hello, it's been a long time. forgive me.

and I changed the title hehe