Final

Let's Dance

I chugged down the last of my punch, surprised that it hadn’t been spiked. Were kids these days not even rebellious enough to sneak in alcohol?

Ok, so I probably shouldn’t be making fun of these ‘kids’ when I was one of them. But I was mature for my age. That’s why normally, I wouldn’t be caught dead at a high school prom. But being mature isn’t always a wonderful thing. Because my parents think that’s the perfect reason to send me to this event so my sister doesn’t do anything stupid.

That’s right, the only reason I’m here is because I’m babysitting my little sister, Minzy.

But really, does she need me watching over her? There’s plenty of adult supervision here. Never mind that they're too concerned discussing the lyrics of the songs being played to notice all the teenagers getting busy on the dance floor. But Minzy’s her own person. She doesn't need me to supervise everything she does. She never listens to what I say anyways.

But I guess part of me did want to protect her. After all, boys are only thinking one thing on prom night…

I scan my eyes across the dance floor, just to see what she’s doing. Of course, she’s waving her body around seductively, getting quite the attention from all the boys. It’s not that she was trying to do it though. She’s naturally a good dancer, and it always attracts an audience.

See? I’m not even a good chaperone. She’s putting dirty thoughts in the minds of every male in sight, and I’m casually drinking punch as it happens.

Well, as long as she doesn’t get too close to a certain someone, I’m fine with whatever she does.

She caught my eye and decided she wanted to come converse with me. I rolled me eyes as she walked my way, wondering what could be so important to tear her away from being the center of attention.

“CL, what are you doing?” She asked me.

I shrugged. “Watching you.”

“Aren’t you bored?” She asked in almost a preppy girl tone, placing her hands on her hips.

I reached towards the punch bowl and refilled my cup. “Extremely.”

She snatched the punch away from me. “Then why don’t you stop being a social outcast and get out there and dance?”

I snatched my cup back from her. “I’m not a social outcast!”

She raised an eyebrow at me. Ok, I wasn’t exactly a social butterfly. But I’d say social outcast is a bit harsh.

“CL, come on!” She complained and tugged at my free hand. “I know you can dance! We could rule the dance floor together.”

It did sound tempting to show these amateurs what my sister and I are made of, but I wasn’t done with my punch. I shook her hand off and took another sip. “Maybe later, ok?”

She knew me well enough to know I wasn’t going to budge. She sighed and turned back to the dance floor, leaving me alone. She started dancing once again as I sipped on my punch. I couldn’t believe how incredibly horrible the DJ was. Our school probably paid a gazillion dollars to get this person that plays music from a century ago. I sighed and continued with my drink.

I was considering just leaving this stupid place when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to find no one was there. I then turned to the other side, but once again it was empty. I thought I was being delusional when I heard someone cracking up from behind.

“I can’t believe you fell for that!” They said in-between laughter.  

I turned towards the voice to see the most annoying person in existence. Seungri. He was holding his stomach from laughing so hard. Oh wasn’t he just clever? Poking my left side and then hiding behind my right so that when I turned to look, I wouldn’t see him. I thought I was done with that trick after the 3rd grade.

I rolled my eyes in disgust. “So childish.”

I thought the annoyance in my voice would be enough to convince him to leave, but I guess he likes to play games. He grabbed my punch and placed it on the table next to me before tugging me towards the dance floor.

“Let’s dance.” He commanded.

“Excuse me?” I ripped my hand away from his and glared at him. “What makes you think I would want to dance with someone like you?”

He leaned closer, smirking as if he was the greatest thing alive. “Because,” He whispered while circling around me. “You need some fun in your life.”

I pushed him away. “Do you know the definition of fun? Because you are just annoying.”

My point is quite frank, no? Well, he must want to get himself killed, because he stepped closer once again.

“Oh come on Chaerin."

I narrowed my eyes at him. “Don’t call me Chaerin.” He simply smiled, which of course annoyed the hell out of me. “Are you just trying to annoy me?”

He shrugged his shoulders with a stupid grin on his face. “Maybe.”

I really couldn’t take his games anymore. I bent down to my foot, unhooking my high heel. His smile immediately faded as I clutched the shoe in my hand.

“What are you doing?” He asked as he slowly backed away.

I cocked the shoe back. “I’m going to show you how much I dislike you!”

I made a strong swing at him, but he grabbed onto my wrist just before I made contact with his skull. “You’re a little crazy," He said with a smirk. "Do you know that?”

I tried to pull my arm away from his grasp, but to my surprise, he was quite strong. But don’t think I’m going to give up that easily.

I pulled him closer, lowering my voice to make it as seductive as possible. “I’ve been told that many, many times.”

The look on his face showed he liked my response, and he his lips like he was ready to eat me up. I leaned my head towards his and he mirrored my actions. But right before our lips touched, I turned my head and bit onto his wrist.

“Ah! What the hell?” He jumped back, clutching his wrist with my teeth marks engraved on it with his free hand.

I dropped my shoe to the ground and slid my foot back into it. “I’m not crazy, I’m downright psycho.” Once my shoe was on, I stepped closer to him and clutched his shirt in my fists. “So leave me alone, ok?”

He gulped. I knew I had gotten my point across, so I released his shirt. He smoothed it down once I let go, trying to get out the wrinkles I had created. To my satisfaction, he walked away. I smirked as he headed towards his friends who were without a doubt making fun of his failure to sweep me off my feet.

Bored with his existence, I turned back to the dance floor. My eyes instantly widened when I saw Minzy dancing with him.

“Minzy, what the hell?!” I screamed, not caring if anyone could hear me or not. “What did I tell you about him?”

I started heading towards the dance floor with every intention to rip them apart, slap him across the face and then drag her home. Yet once he turned towards my direction, my steps slowed down. He gave me that y smirk of his, nearly causing me to faint. I almost turned away, not wanting to start a fight.

But then he grabbed onto my sister’s hips and pulled her closer to him, and both of them started grinding on the dance floor.

“Oh, so is this how you want to play?” I said to myself. “Well fine Jiyong. It’s war.”

I looked around, trying to find the most attractive guy in the room. Yet as I looked through the crowd, I felt myself cringe. None of these boys would send Jiyong into a jealous rage. He was the hottest guy in school, and he knew it.

I was about to give up when I felt someone grab onto my hand and pull me towards the dance floor. My eyes lit up with horror when I saw it was Seungri.

“What on earth are you doing?” I screamed as I started to push him off of me. “I told you to leave me alone!”

His strength won once again as he pulled me closer. “Just go with it,” He whispered. “I know you’re trying to make him jealous.”

I rolled my eyes. “And you really think you’re the guy to do that?”

He smirked. “Take a look for yourself.”

I cursed at him in my head but turned to look at Jiyong. My jaw dropped to the floor as I saw his eyes narrowing at us. He was getting jealous.

I turned back to Seungri. “What the hell? What’s so great about you?”

“Just watch.”

He grabbed onto my hips and pulled himself closer than any boy had ever been to me. Naturally, I started to push him away but he glared at me. Call me crazy, but I found that stare somewhat y? Maybe even more so than the one Jiyong had given me earlier.

“Stop resisting Chaerin.” He whispered in a deep, husky voice. “I’m in control now.”

That voice alone was enough to make me give in. I didn’t even care that he had called me Chaerin. And to add to the effect, the DJ I had been cursing earlier actually decided to play a good song. The addictive beat started blaring through the speakers and I couldn't help but start to dance along.

Seungri tightened his grip on my hips but I didn’t mind. I was completely surprised at how good of a dancer he was. Just watching him dance made me start to want him. In fact, as the song went by I found myself pulling him closer to me. He was shocked by this and raised his eyebrows at me.

“Sorry Seungri,” I whispered in his ear. “I always have to be in charge.”

He smirked and loosened his grip on me, giving me freedom to do what I want. I turned around and did a little drop to the floor for him. I slowly brought myself back up, giving him quite the view. He didn’t mind one bit.

When I was standing upright again, I started dancing seductively to the music. People around us were confused. They didn’t know if they should look at me, or Minzy.

My back still to Seungri, I swayed my hips as the chorus of the song came on. Seungri couldn’t resist slipping his hands around my waist, and I didn’t push him away. Instead, I looked towards Jiyong who obviously hadn’t taken his eyes off of us for one moment.

Minzy caught my eye seconds later and her face lit up. I knew what she was thinking. She wanted to show these kids what dancing really looked like. She grabbed onto Jiyong’s arm and pulled him towards us.

“Switch partners?” She yelled over the music.

I was going to say no, but Jiyong grabbed me away from Seungri and threw him towards Minzy before I could. He pulled me into him, trying to get as close to me as Seungri had been, but I wouldn’t allow it.

“Why are you resisting Chaerin?” He teased. “You’ve been eyeing me for awhile now.”

“Actually, you’ve been eyeing us,” I responded, motioning towards Seungri.

“Oh come on,” He said, bringing his face close to mine. “Why are you being like this?”

I rolled my eyes. That was the last straw. “Excuse me? You’re the one that cheated on me. You’re the one that dumped me. And you’re the one who has the nerve to dance with my sister right in front of me.”

With all my strength, I pushed Jiyong away. He grabbed onto my hand and spun me back towards him. “Come on Chaerin." He begged. "Give me another chance.”

I glared down at his hand gripping mine, then back up at him. “Silly Jiyong, don’t you know? I learn from mistakes, not repeat them.” I ripped my hand away from his and started to stomp away, but stopped and turned towards him one last time. “And don’t call me Chaerin.”

I walked back up to Seungri, telling Minzy I wanted to switch back. She agreed and walked back to an angered Jiyong. She tried to dance with him, but he was frozen, staring me down.

“Jiyong, what’s wrong?” She asked.

He looked at her in the corner of his eye, and grunted. Like a little kid having a tantrum, he stomped off the dance floor and out of the building. I carefully watched my sister, concerned that she might be hurt, but as if she would be stupid enough to actually fall for that guy. She simply shrugged it off and moved onto the next boy in the room.

I finally turned back to Seungri just as the song ended. We both grinned over our success and I held up my hand for a high five. He slapped his palm against mine and we both laughed at how ridiculous Jiyong was acting.

But as our laughter died down, another song started. Except this was a slow one. Since the Jiyong situation was settled, I started to walk back to my spot by the punch, but before I could even take two steps, I felt a hand grab me from behind.

I turned to find Seungri looking at me with a look I couldn’t quite read. I stared at him, confused. “What?”

He pulled me in close, grabbing onto my hands and placing them around his neck. Then he wrapped his arms low around my waist and slowly swayed to the song.

I felt a little uncomfortable, but still tightened my grip around his neck. “What are you doing?” I asked, even though the answer was obvious.

“Dancing with you.” He leaned close, resting his head next to my neck. “Is there a problem?”

His breath tickled my neck. I took a deep breath. “No…it’s fine.”

We continued dancing until I heard him start to chuckle. I backed away, afraid I had done something stupid. “Why…why are you laughing?” I asked, stumbling over my words.

“Because,” He said, pulling me close. “The one and only baddest female is nervous as she dances with me. Trying to impress me?”

I opened my mouth to speak, but I realized he was right. Still, I had to make him think I was in control.

“Just shut up Seungri,” I said as I grabbed onto his collar. “Shut up and kiss me.”

Obeying my command, he leaned down and planted his lips on mine. I cringed just before we made contact, afraid he would be a sloppy kisser. But boy, did he exceed my expectations. I pulled him closer and ignored everything around us as I kissed him back.

Well Chaerin, maybe prom’s not as bad as you thought...