Chapter 1

Revealing Maya

 

 

Maya

 

The terrace of the elegant penthouse offered a magnificent view of Manhattan and, for a brief moment, the woman felt happy. Just for a brief moment, then the apathy took over again and the woman returned to the room with a bored grimace. She shook her abundant old copper hair and stretched her arms with a gloomy muttering, then took her cell phone and started to check her voice messages.

“Maya, I really missed you. We need to talk and settle things up. Please, please call back or, at least, text me.”

The woman’s deep sea blue eyes started to glow threateningly while the anger pilled up. She was clear enough about the break-up but, it seemed that Jason didn’t understood. She hated so much to explain her decision again and, how to explain to a stranger her inner thoughts, her need of freedom and loneliness. She was too smart to live a boring life, to have an average boyfriend and a dull relationship. She was too disappointed by men’ stupidity, lust and hypocrisy, she was sick by this town and by her so called friends— a bunch of futile people without a real purpose in their life. She was tired to see them, to hang out in fancy places and to have meaningless conversations. It was time for her to fly away, to find a place where she can think clearly about her life and her true wishes, a place where no one cares about her, about her success, wealth, background or family. She needed something new, a true challenge or else her brain will collapse in mediocrity. And, for her, that was the true, horrific death.

 

 

 

Few hours later, Maya entered in her dad’s office and kissed his cheek with a gracious smile on her face.

“Hello sweetie, what brigs you here so early in the morning?” asked Mister Peter Davis, the CEO of P&M Entertainment company.

“Dad, I need to go away for a while. I fell like I’m stuck in a trap and my head will explode in thousands pieces. I can’t breathe and I can’t think straight. I need to find a way to free myself from this awful feeling.” said Maya with a trembling voice.

“Maya, you can’t run forever, you need to settle down, to find a man that you can at least respect if don’t love, to do what normal people do.”

“I can’t do this, at least not yet. All the men I know are lame, dull and stupid. I’d rather be alone than bounded to a hypocrite and ignorant man. Besides, I don’t need a man to have a fulfilled life, you known that dad.”

“Maya, it’s hard to find a man as smart, independent and successful as you. Maybe it’s time to lower your standards and try to have a normal life.”

“Not yet father, maybe later. I really want to go far away so I came to you to ask if you don’t need my help somewhere abroad”

“Maya, you have our own business. Why do you want to work more?”

“I need to keep myself busy and my business can be done in the middle of Pacific too if I have an internet connection. I’m very good at what I’m doing so I spent too little time to solve my problems. I need something new to do till I find my inner peace.”

“Hmm. Well, I have something but I don’t know if it suits you”

“What? Come on dad, don’t be so reticent, you know that I can handle almost everything”

“The people of our Korean branch are very impressed by a young actor and singer and they want to force his debut in US. I need him to be prepared for this big leap. He speaks English so a big problem is already solved. I’d like you to handle the PR for him, maybe to shoot a MV to be released in US, something special and fresh. Do you think you can handle this proper?”

“No problem. What’s his name?”

“Jang Geun Suk, 25 years old, singer, actor, model and a true idol in the Asian side. Oh, and a heart breaker too.”

“Ha! I really like to confront that kind of guy. It will be interesting. Make all arrangements. I’ll head tomorrow to South Korea.”

“What about Momo?”

“He’ll go with me, obviously.”

“Maya, be careful. He’s an important asset to this company. Please don’t break him as usual”

“Don’t worry dad, I’ll behave myself” said Maya and leaved the office in dance steps.

Peter Davis looked at his daughter’s back, his lips curving in an amused smile.