Lady Luck

Lady Luck

 

I have no idea why am i so attracted to him.
 
And only him.
 
Saying that he is good looking, charming, charismatic is definitely not a lie. But he has six more friends that are as perfect. 
 
I stole another glance at him.
 
He is indeed different from his friends. I can feel it. His smile. That faint dimple. He look like a young prince that had just stepped out of a fairytale book. He turns his head. Caught me staring. I pretended to be looking out of the window behind him, but any idiot would know the truth. He smirked slightly, turning away. My heart skipped a beat.
 
Choi Ri Hae. Get a grip. Internally screaming at myself for being distracted, i tune myself back into the class. 
 
Seeing a crowd near the notice board, i squeezed my way in, pushing people away with my body. Sure, i might be plump, but it's not stopping me from getting active. "Lady luck and Gentleman." I read the headings out loud. "Females students of the first year will be the Lady lucks. They will have a male partner, the gentleman, from the same level. The Lady Lucks are required to gift the gentlemen something a day, that will give them luck. At the end of the month, the gentlemen are supposed to find out the identity of their Lady Luck." I mumbled the words on the poster under my breath. My eyes trialled to the end of the poster,"Good luck, ladies. Your partner's name has already been sent to you via email."
 
The crowd around me was squealing in delight, and praying for their partner to be one of the Kingkas, and frantically going online. I rolled my eyes. Squeezing my way out again, i sighed. There is no way i can be the Kingka's Lady Luck. Considering the fact that most of the population in school dislikes me.
 
I slumped my shoulders, returning to my locker to retrieve my phone.
 
"No, no, no!" I breathed, staring at the email sent. My brain messed up, and i stood there, staring at my phone. "Why must it be my crush?!" I asked, annoyed and frustrated. I have no idea what am i supposed to make for him, or write to him. Locking my phone, i tossed it back into the locker before slamming it shut.
 
"Yah, Rihae! Who is your gentleman?" Daewon whispered, leaning close. She might be my best friend, but i'm not telling her this time. "Uh, uh. Not telling." I wagged my finger. She pouted, and begged. Nothing's gonna change my mind. If i told her that my gentleman is Nam Woo Hyun, she'll die of jealousy. No lies. "Fine then." Daewon stuck out her tongue childishly at me, crossing her arms. "I'll tell you at the end of the month." I beamed, patting my friend's head. She pouted again, before skipping away to her own class.
 
Looking at her reaction, i'm guessing that her partner is her crush, Jung Dae Ryoung, from a few class down. I chuckled softly. She's gonna have a hard time differentiating Daeryoung and his twin.
 
"I'm home, mom!" I called, as i got out of my pair of converse sneakers. "Oh? You are slightly early today." Mom commented, glancing at the clock. She slipped out of her apron, and walked towards me. My mom is the total opposite of me. She is tall, slim, and totally drop dead gorgeous, considering her age. "Aigoo, our Rihae looks excited. What happened in school today?" She grinned, pinching my cheeks while patting my fringe in place. As excited as i look, i babbled everything out, not leaving any details out. "Wow, really? That's a really sweet project your school planned." My mom smiled nodding. "But... As of that Nam Woohyun... Since when are liking guys around you?" She teased the fangirl in me. Laughing, i brushed the question away. "Well, go on and make something for him then." My mom pushed me towards my room, and she nodded before returning back to her kitchen.
 
Sighing, i crumpled the last piece of decent decorative paper i have. "What do he like?" I sighed again, messing my hair up in frustration. Taking a quick glance at the clock, i sighed once more. Quater past twelve. Considering the fact that there is school the next day, i tore a piece of notebook paper and scribbled something i could think of. Drawing small four-leaf clovers to represent luck, i finished the quick note. Couldn't care anymore, I fell onto my bed and immediately drifted into sleep. 
 
"Rihae-ah! Rise and shine!" A voice, probably mom's, was calling. I shifted uncomfortably on my bed, causing it to squeak under my weight. "Rihae." Mom's voice turned hard, as if giving a warning. I grunted, unwillingly pushed myself off the bed. Cleaning myself up, i went down to the kitchen, and ate my breakfast. "Quick, you're going to be late." Mom rushed again.
 
Sighing, i grab all my things and went onto her car. "Thanks to the damn letter," I muttered, annoyed. If there isn't this Event, i wouldn't even be so tired and late for school. "What's wrong?" Mom asked, glancing. I shrugged, looking away. Adults won't understand young love, right? It sounds retarded that i stayed up late to write a letter to someone whom i like. Young love, indeed. I smiled to myself, at my own silliness.
 
Glancing around, i made sure that no one is around, before slipping the note into his locker. Since i am late, it doesn't make any difference if i drop by his lock, before getting to class. I smiled at the locker, then went to class.
 
I slipped into the class, relieved that the teacher was even later than i was. Sitting on my own seat, i let out a sigh.
 
"Hey, why are you late?" Jieun, the class president asked. Well, more like demanding an answer. I shrugged. "At least i'm earlier than the teacher." I said, staring into her eyes. I really love her eyes. Only her eyes. She has a really bright sparkle in those pair of huge eyes. "Well, the time now is 7:47. You are late for 2 minutes sharp." Jieun practically shoved her watch into my face. She might be pretty and smart, buther personality is screwed.
 
"Fine, i'm late. But everyone have their mistakes, right? It's just once. And the teacher's not even here yet." I argued, emphasizing on the last word. Glancing at the front of the class, the teacher is indeed not here yet. "But you are late." Jieun replied stubbornly. I groaned, facepalming myself. "I never said i wasn't, Jieun." I feel myself lose patience. "I'm sorry, but you are going to the office and tell the teacher there that you are late." She pressed her lips together, her eyes even bigger when she's glaring at me. When i tried to protest, she growled,"Now."
 
Defeated, i left the class, with everyone staring. Including him.
 
When i returned, the teacher was already there, and i'm once again embarrassed and humiliated. I sulked through the whole lesson, annoyed. With my mood down, i couldn't concentrate in class. Instead, i was staring at Woohyun. And maybe out of the windows, at the church. The lesson went by smoothly, without any name calling. When lunch break finally came, i'm already drained, with my head resting on the table.
 
"Hey, that must've right?" A voice said. I couldn't recognise it. Lifting my head up, i took a glance. My jaws dropped immediately. No, he wasn't Nam Woohyun, but he is definitely one of his friends. "Y-yeah." I replied, avoiding eye contact. "I don't think we've talked before. I'm Lee Sungyeol." He smiled. I like his smile too. He showed his gums. I smiled,"Choi Ri Hae." He laughed,"I know. Your name is repeated for millions of times today." I blushed, looking down. "Guess we'll see each other more often?" He asked, obviously expected a yes. "Sure." I nodded, granting him the answer he wants.
 
He grinned, before running off somewhere. 
 
"Rihae, you've got to explain to me what i just saw." Daewon sat opposite me, grinning like an idiot. "Nothing." I replied. It's true. There's nothing to explain. "Ehy, who would believe that?" She rolled her eyes. I shrugged, changing the topic,"So... How's it with Daery--?" She widen her eyes and covered my mouth with her hand. "How did you know?" She asked, after making sure that i will not say out his name. "I've got my means." I teased, sticking my tongue out. She pouted, then pulled me off my seat, dragging me to the cafeteria, to do some "Guy Hunting".
 
I'm staring again.
 
It's just a few days before he's coming to find me. I've been observing him everyday, looking at his reactions whenever he reads my letters, or admiring my gifts to him.He's always smiling, and that makes me really glad. Caught, again. I mentally facepalmed myself, before nodding at him, and turning back to the teacher. I bit my lower lip, annoyed. I could hear his soft laughter, and a small conversation between his friends.
 
I could hear bits and pieces, and he said something that caught my attention,"I wonder who is my lady luck. I love her personality. She's cute." A smile crawled onto my lips, as i heard what he said. His friends are all laughing, but he just ignores them. Tiny sparks of hope danced in me.
 
Maybe, just maybe, he don't mind about how i look.
 
And perhaps, it is possible between us.
 
 
"Aren't you excited?! They are going to find out who their lady luck is!" Daewon chirped next to me, jumping around. I smiled. "Yeah." I replied, looking into my reflection in the glass window of a shop. I'm still plump, i still look nerdy. Holding onto the small strand of hope, i straightened my back confidently, and walked side by side to school with Daewon.
 
I slumped in my seat. The class is empty, since all the guys are off to find their lady luck, and all the ladies are either hiding, or making their existence obvious to the guys. I rest my head on the table, giving up hope on Woohyun even finding me, or even realizing me as his lady luck.
 
"Eh, Rihae?" A voice said. Sungyeol? I lifted my head to see him at the classroom door. "Oh, hi, Sungyeol." I greeted, standing up. "Why are you here?" He asked, walking towards me. "Ah, nothing. I don't like... Crowds." I lied. He laughed, sitting next to me. "You don't want your gentleman to find you?" He asked. I smiled. "Not really, i guess. Who's your lady luck?" I changed the topic. "Yoonsa. Park Yoonsa, i think. Who's yours?" He swiftly changed the subject, directing it at me.
 
I laughed, shaking my head. "You wouldn't want to know."
 
"I do."
 
My heart skipped a beat. I laughed it off. "Well, i'm not telling. I'll be off then. Thanks for the chat." I walked out of the classroom before he could stop me. What's with him? My heart raced, as i think back. Shaking it out of my head, i went to look for Woohyun. 
 
"Hello." I cleared my throat, getting the attention of Woohyun. He looks even better close up. He looked at me, from the top to bottom. "Yeah?" He replied. "I... I'm your lady luck." I whispered. I don't think that he could hear what i said, but i was wrong. "What? You... What?" He asked, staring at me. I sighed, looking down. "I thought you were... I... I don't know what to say. Sorry." He walked away, kicking some rubbish bins and punching some lockers on the way.
 
Am i that bad? Am i so ugly, that he change his mind of me? I hate this. I hate myself. I stood there, tears falling freely. I was crying, at the end of an empty hallway. How pathetic. I smiled bitterly at myself. "I guess... I guess the reality's cruel, huh." I said aloud, directing it to no one. I buried my face in my hands, and continued crying.
 

I didn't know, that Sungyeol was in one of the classrooms, listening to everything.