Under The Cherry Tree

Under The Cherry Tree

It is said once every hundred years on the spring equinox that the nature spirits come out on Spirit Mountain.  They frolic about in human form before returning to the confines of their "homes".  Sometimes the spirits would fall in love and become human to stay with their loves.

 

Aron scoffed at the story in the book as he looked up at Spirit Mountain.  He was going camping about half way up with four of his friends.  "Whatcha got there?" JR said peeking over the older's shoulder.  "Oh just some dumb old folk lore saying that tomorrow there is going to be  bunch of spirits running around the mountain." He handed the book to the other and went back to looking at the trees surrounding them.  The van pulled off to the edge of the road at the bottom of a trail and the boys hopped out and grabbed their gear.  Ren sighed, "It's been so long since I've been here.  I hope that the spot hasn't grown over."  He smiled and bounded up the trail.  The boys groaned and followed the energetic boy.  Around three they finally reached the spot that they would be camping.  Aron and Baekho set up the tent while Minhyun and JR dug through their bags for snacks for everybody.  Ren ran into the trees, but soon came back grinning like a goon.  "Hurry up you guys I want to show you the cherry blossom grove.  It's my favorite part about coming here."  He did a bit of aegyo to get them to give in.  "Aish, Ren. Why are you so cute?"  Baekho said and slung an arm around the maknae's shoulder.  The younger shrugged and lead them through some thick bushes into a clearing.  The group all gaped in wonder.  "Omo.  I didn't know that there were actually places like this."  Minhyun said and spun around.  The patch of grass was surrounded by cherry blossoms and there was a small creek with a bridge over it on the other side.  They played in the creek for a while before heading back to camp.

 

The boys had finished eating and were sitting around the camp fire.  Aron turned to Ren, "So, what's the deal with the spirits on the equinox?"  The maknae smirked, "Well it's just as it says.  On the equinox they come out in fact it should be this year too.  I've actually been curious about it for a long time."  "What exactly are spirits supposed to be like anyways?"  Minhyun asked nobody in particular.  "Well I don't know.  But I'll make sure to tell you the next time that I meet one."  Baekho joked.  They talked a bit more about the spirits before heading to bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aron woke up with the sun.  It was a little chilly outside and he decided to go for a walk to the grove they visited yesterday.  He quietly slipped out of the tent and retraced his steps until the large bushes were in front of him.  The forest seemed more lively today, like it was letting out its long awaited breath.  He peeked through the bushes at the meadow.  The tress danced softly in the breeze and the trickle of the water was faintly heard.  Aron smirked and went to sit under one of the trees.  "Ow!" someone said from underneath him.  He quickly jumped and looked at the girl that wasn't there before.  She had long reddish brown hair with cherry blossoms in it and was wearing a pale blue traditional dress.  "I'm kind of sitting here."  She said and her voice reminded him of the wind.  He sat down in front of her.  "Hi.  I'm Aron."  He stuck out his hand to shake.  She gingerly took a hold of his finger tips and slightly shook it.  "I'm Sakura."  He smiled, "Well Sakura.  Where did you come from?"  She rolled her eyes, "You wouldn't believe me if I told you."  He gave her one of those try me looks and she sighed.  "My name is Sakura and I am the the guardian of the cherry trees in this grove." She smiled coyly and he shrugged.  "Sounds legit to me.  You guys are supposed to emerge from a long sleep today."  She nodded.  "Yes.  I get to finally change trees.  I swear one of these days I am going to die because of how many dogs come and mark my tree as their territory."  She pretended to puke, making him laugh.

 

He stood up and held out a hand for her.  She looked at it curiously, "What are you planning?"  He smiled, "Lets go for a walk.  I'm sure that a hundred years in a tree makes you stiff."  Sakura nodded and he helped her up.  Aron started walking towards the bridge, still holding her hand.  When they got to the middle of it she stopped.  "Wait." she said then leaned over the edge.  "Mul!"  She called and a girl emerged from the creek and looked at her.  She stood on the top of the water and leaned against the railing.  "Yes, tree girl?"  Mul asked.  Sakura reached into her sleeve and pulled out a cherry blossom bud and handed it to the other.  "Just in case I'm not back."  Mul stared at the bud then waved her arm at the other, splashing water everywhere.  "I know I've told you to go with the flow, but not today.  Midnight Sakura.  Midnight."  She scolded then sank back into the water eyeing Aron.  Sakura turned back to the boy and smiled.  "Alright I am ready."  she sighed and swung their hands.

 

They moved away from the cherry trees and Sakura looked around curiously.  "Gosh the trees around here are so tall.  Last time I wash out here they were this tall."  She held her hand to about her knee.  Aron glanced up at the tall tree then back at the girl.  "Sakura.  How old are you?"  he asked and she giggled. "18.  Well technically I'm 827, but have retained the body of my 18 year old self."  His eyes widened, "Why 18?"  "Because that's how old I was when I was sacrificed to the mountain.  Every year they would burn an 18 year old alive to appease the mountain spirits.  Really it just made more of us.  I'm happy they stopped doing that because it was getting a little annoying." she shuffled awkwardly.  Aron stepped closer and slid his arms around her.  She watched him with an interested gleam to her eyes, "You really shouldn't feel bad about it. None of us remember it and it was concidered a honor.  Our families were taken care of for the rest of their lives and the spirit life isn't really that bad.  Well, most of the time."  She patted him awkwardly on the back and attempted to pull away.  He squeezed her one last time before releasing her.  Sakura pointed to their right, "There is a lake over there a ways.  There shouldn't be anyone there."  She started walking with the boy behind her.

 

The ground started fading into sand before they were out of the trees.  Sakura jerked to a stop at the last tree and stuck her arm out so Aron wouldn't go any farther.  She leaned over the ledge that they were standing on.  "This wasn't here when I was alive.  I mean the lake was, but not the ten foot drop."  She said and picked up a rock and tossed it down to the water below.  It let out a loud kurplop and splashed a little.  She smirked and started to undo her dress.  "Uh.  What are you doing?"  He asked nervously, covering his eyes.  "Going swimming.  I don't know about you, but I swim in my underwear because that thing gets really heavy when it's wet."  She explained and pulled his arms from his face.  He looked everywhere but her and she sighed, "Does it really bother you that much?"  He nodded and a swirl of cherry blossoms blew out of the woods and around the girl.  "Better?"  She asked and he looked down to find her in some shorts and a tank top.  Aron nodded again.  Sakura smirked and leaned back, falling.  He freaked out a bit and tried to catch her.  She laughed as she crashed into the water.  He let out a sigh of relief when she surfaced and yelled, "Come on!  The water isn't that cold."  He smirked and pulled off his shirt and pants before canon balling into the water below.  He came up and shook out his hair.  The girl giggled as it splattered in her face.  She swam over to the shallower water and ducked under again.  Aron snuck up behind her and lifted her up.  Sakura yelped, "Yah! Aron!"  He just chuckled and continued to goof around for a while.

 

As they sat on a rock towards the edge Aron's stomach rumbled.  Sakura giggled, "Hungry much?"  The boys nodded, slightly embarrassed.  She hopped down from the bolder and over to the shore with Aron following.  She told him to stay where he was for a minute and a swirl of cherry blossoms surrounded her again then floated off only to come back moments later.  She tossed him his clothes and was already wearing her's.  He quickly thanked her and she turned away so he could change.  After he had finished they started towards the town.  Sakura jumped excitedly, "I haven't been to the village since I died!  Do they still have a festival today?"  Aron nodded and the girl did a slight dance.  "Well lets go!" She said excitedly and they began towards town.