Chapter 1

If It's Fate

 

“Hyo Ni… we can’t.” Eli told me flatly, his eyes showing me pity. Have you heard an egg crack? My heary just did. It felt like that egg…broken.

“Eli…why?” I managed to choke out, hating to feel the burn of tears at the back of my eyes.

He stared at me with unrecognizable eyes.

“Isn’t it obvious? I don’t like you anymore.” He turned and left me dumbfounded on the streets. What? He didn’t love me anymore? My heart nodded sadly, sending jolts of pain in me with every beat.

Tears stained my pale face, I fell to my knees as the world blurred in front of me…

“Miss? Are you okay?” I heard someone ask me. I couldn’t feel anything. My body felt numb, but tears fell silently, creating cold tracks on my face.

“Miss?” he asked again. I tried to talk but I couldn’t find my voice.

Suddenly, I felt something warm draped around me. My body jerked in surprise as I shuddered, only just registering how cold I am. I blinked and looked up at the guy who saved me from freezing.

“T-thank you…” I muttered, my teeth chattering. He waved away my thanks and I slowly got to my feet.

“Ah!” I gasped as I stumbled, landing on that guy’s chest. His arms wrapped around me to form a protective embrace and his eyes showed concern.

“Are you okay?” he asked once again. Thoughts of my breakup and my sorry state nnow overwhelmed me and I took a shuddering breath, starting to sob once again. His arms squeezed my shoulders reassuringly, guiding me towards a car…

 

My eyes slowly opened as sunlight streamed in from the windows. I peered out, watching the snow fall lightly. I looked around the room. Where was I? curiously, I walked out of the room, finding myself in a living room. I heard someone snoring lightly. Quietly, I approached the couch, to find a handsome dude asleep.

Mesmerized by his perfection, I sat on the edge of the couch, watching him sleep. He was that guy who helped me yesterday. I took a closer look at him, wanting to know how my savior looked like.

His auburn hair fell to the side of his head covering his right eye partially. His nose straight and tall, was situated in the middle of his face, falling directly above his pale pink lips. I could make out the shape of the muscles in his arms since he was sleeping without a blanket. Wait. Without a blanket? In winter?

Realising it was because of me that he didn’t have his bed, I hurried back to the room, to retrieve the blanket and ever so slowly, I let it fall on to him. Only, I wasn’t slow enough.

His eyes fluttered open as soon as the blanket fell on him…

***

I blinked, staring at the beautiful girl who stood in front of me. Her face showed traces of concern, but also a hidden pain. Remembering the previous night, I stood up, wanting to introduce myself.

“Hello, I’m Yeo Hoon Min. But you can call me Hoon.” I smiled slightly at her. She looked startled for a moment but quickly recovered herself.

“I’m Park HyoNi…nice to meet you.” She answered. I looked at her, she seemed visibly better from yesterday.

“Are you…better, Hyo Ni ssi” I asked her delicately. There was a momentarily silence as she started blinking rapidly, her lips starting to wobble. Sensing alarm bells, I took a step towards her, wanting to comfort her but she threw herself into my arms, her cries muffled against my chest. I stiffened slightly, patting her awkwardly…

 

“I’m sorry…Hoon ssi.” She mumbled feeling embarrassed. I smiled at her, letting her know it was alright.

“Do you want to go home now?” I asked her,” I’m going off to school anyway, I can drop you off.” She nodded her head.

“Ah, Hoon ssi, can I have your number?” I heard her ask. Feeling amused, I gave it to her, handing her a piece of paper.

 

“You stay here?” I asked, in a strangled sort of voice. This was a huge house. A total beauty. Only rich kind of people stay in these kind of pretty houses. She nodded at me, giggling slightly at the look of my face. I stared back at Hyo Ni, thinking I’ll see her in a different light from now on.

“Bye!” she waved to me and hopped out of the car. I was still gaping at her retreating form. Something was troubling me…why was such a rich young lady crying on the streets at night?

***

To: Eli

Can we meet? I need to talk to you. Please

Hyoni

I took a deep calming breath as I hit the send button.

“Hyo Ni!” I heard oppa call out. “Yeah?” I answered, lazing around on my bed.

“Where did you sleep last night?” he asked me suspiciously. I fidgeted. Uh oh. What was I going to say to him now?

“I slept over at a friend’s.” I said lamely. He nodded and left. Phew. That was a close one. My phone chimed and I hastily pulled it open.

From: Eli

Okay, 2pm at my house. Don’t be late.

I breathed easy again, feeling my heartbeat faster. He still can talk to me. What should I talk to him about? He just dumped me…but I knew I still loved him. I had to ask him why he could just break up with me so easily.

“Young mistress? Your lunch is ready.” One of the maids came to tell me. I waved her off as I slowly got to my feet, my thoughts still in a mess.

“Yah! Hyo Ni!” Oppa yelled, annoyed at my being distracted. I scowled at him. “Can’t you see I’m thinking?” he rolled his eyes at me. “ Who was that guy who dropped you off?”

I stiffened at his question. He saw that? Oh crap. How was I going to explain that?

I cleared my throat. “He was uh…that friend I spent the night with.” There was a sound of metal crashing. “WHAT?!” oppa yelled,” you slept with him?!” I shook my head and smacked him.

“Of course not! Do you really think of me that way?” I asked. “No…obviously not…” he muttered, going back to his food. Come to think of it, I really embarrassed myself in front of Hoon ssi many times. But he is such a nice guy. He didn’t complain or make fun of me, I felt comfortable with him.

***

My phone vibrated crazily. I picked it up and groaned. Hyo Ni? Didn’t I made it clear we were over?

From: Hyo Ni

Can we meet? I need to talk to you please.

Hyoni

Seriously? She wants to meet? Aish. Then I’ll have to end it hard and proper, else she would keep begging me to see her. I hurriedly sent her a reply, feeling extremely annoyed by her.

The reason why I broke up with her was because she was too much of a good girl. Hell, she was still a bloody , AND she won’t give her first to me. Where’s the fun in that?

I ran my hand through my hair, utterly exasperated. If she was going to bawl on me, what the heck can I do? Hyo Ni is really one whiny girl…

***

I looked at myself in the mirror nervously. Was it okay? Was it good enough? I know it sounds stupid but I was really afraid to meet Eli.

I smoothed my shirt and put on a confident smile. I was ready.

“Ahjussi…” I called out, gesturing to the car. He immediately came over and asked me where to go.

As we neared his house, I saw a figure standing outside and my heart started to race again. It was him.

***

She came out of her chauffeured car, giving me a slight smile. I nodded in her direction.

“So, what do you want to tell me?”