Best Friends (One Shot)

Best Friends (One Shot)

 

Taemin POV

We sat face to face for a few seconds without even speaking, before you wrapped your arms around me.

 You always hug me.

However, things started to go haywire recently when I sensed the change in the way we look at each other. My heart started to flutter as I felt your heartbeat. I don’t have the ability to resist you anymore, but I know this is wrong.

We shouldn’t be doing this.

Subconsciously, I closed my eyes and gave a tug to push you away. You stared at me blankly for a second as if you could not understand my actions. But I’m sure the both of us are aware of the reason.

“No, Minho.” I muttered. You continue staring at me; I could sense your disappointment.

“We are best friends, we aren’t suppose to do this.” You gave a sniff before I ended my last word.

Yes, we are best friends.

Even though both of us know that this is just a lie.

 

Minho POV

Since morning, I lay on my bed to day dream; my mind filled with thoughts about you. I should be happy for you, but I feel the opposite today.

Today is horrible; every second seemed like a drag.

Just for today, I will skip all my duties and appointments just because of you.

“Minho…” I heard someone shouting my name downstairs, but I did not bother to find out who it was. That person shouted my name once again as I started to suspect that the person is you.

But how can that be?

I got off my bed and walked towards the window, peering downstairs. There, I saw you, standing in front of the gate in your wedding gown. When you spotted me at the window, you smiled and waved at me. I was still clueless about your presence, but you shouted at me again.

“LET ME IN!”

“What--- what are you doing here?!”

“I’m not getting married! Now let me in, would you?” You are definitely pushing me to the edge.

You shouldn’t be doing this anymore.

You are supposed to get married today, right at this moment.

I ran down the steps and opened the door for you. You barged into the house and kicked your heels off at the front door. Clueless about what you are doing even since you appeared in front of my house, I held your arm, demanding for an answer from you.

The bouquet you held on your hand dropped on the floor.

“Taemin, tell me what is going on, would you?” I could feel your hesitation before you turned around and grinned at me as if nothing has happened.

“I’m hungry.” Letting out a sigh, I let go of you arm and walked towards the kitchen. Taking out the last two packs of instant noodles from my cupboard, I cooked the noodles for you while you waited for me in my room.

You actions made my heart sway again.

………

You swirled the noodles with your chopsticks, while I stared blankly at you.

“Everything is over.” You finally said.

“I thought I would feel like the luckiest girl today. But when I saw him today, all the feelings for him just… went away.”

“Feelings… went away?” I repeated what you said. You chuckled a little, while eating the noodles.

“I sounded like a two-timer, don’t I?” I laughed forcefully for what you’ve said to lighten up the atmosphere and I’m sure you noticed it.

“Then… should I give you a hug now?” You dropped the chopsticks on the floor after you heard what I’ve said. Putting the bowl of noodles on the table, the both of us landed into an awkward position once again.

“Ha, I can’t believe you fell for it. I was just joking.” I said jokingly, as you smacked me on my back.

But I’m not joking; neither could I tell you truthfully about how I feel.

 

Taemin POV

We lay on the bed beside each other, as we stared at the stars you pasted on the ceiling. When I ran away from the church without the ring on my finger, I thought I would regret it for life.

I thought I would hate myself.

However, I just realized that the only regrets I have would be to let you go. But I’m too afraid to tell you about my feelings; I’m afraid that we would complicate things up and look at each other differently.

I’m afraid of losing you.

“At 15, I vowed to make you the luckiest girl in the world.” You suddenly spoke in your low voice. I tilted my head to look at you.

“At 25, I just want you to be happy---- with or without me.”  What you’ve just said triggered the feelings I have for you.

Are you an idiot?

Can’t you sense the feelings I have for you?

Getting up from the bed, I started tearing off the photographs we took together from the wall and threw them on the floor. I felt the edge of a photograph slicing the skin off my finger; I feel the blood flowing out from the wound---- but I didn’t care.

You jumped off from the bed and caught hold of my arm.

“What the hell are you doing?” You shouted at me. I smacked your arm away, as I stared at you with tears blurring my vision.

“Choi Minho, you are such a bloody coward.” I yelled back at you. You were caught off-guard and stared blankly at me.

“Or am I the stupid one? Why I am so stupid to run out of the church just because you didn’t attend my wedding?”  The blood on my finger stained on the white wedding gown I’m wearing.

“I…”

“SHUT UP! I’M NOT DONE!” You opened and closed your mouth, as you took a glance at the blood dripping from the wound.

“ARE YOU AN IDIOT? HAVEN’T YOU WONDERED WHY THE HELL DID I LOOKED FOR YOU TODAY?” I took a deep breath and grabbed you by your shoulders.

“I…I’m getting married today, Choi Minho.” You continue staring at me wide-eyed. Without even thinking, I finally said how I feel about you.

“Choi Minho, couldn’t you sense that I like you?”

I wish I could hold back my words.

I wish I didn’t say that.

 

Minho POV

“Choi Minho, couldn’t you sense that I like you?” You shouted at me, and wiped the tears away from your cheeks.

“T---Taemin.” You stick your tongue out at me, and turn your head away.

“Just…Just act like I didn’t say anything.” You ran down the stairs while holding on to the rim of your dress. Looking at the pictures that were scattered on the floor, I admitted that I was a total idiot---- I don’t want to lose you ever again.

Running after you, I wrapped my arms around you from the back and leaned my head beside your ear.

“Taemin...”

“Why the hell didn’t you turn up at the church? Why… why didn’t you tell me that you like me?” You muttered under your breath as you tried to move away from me.

No, I don’t allow myself to let go of you ever again.

“We shouldn’t be doing this…. We are best friends.”

“Then…let’s not be best friends just for this moment. Just… let me hug you like a lover.” I whispered into your ear.

After today, I might no longer have the courage to tell you how I feel.

We would then,

Be best friends again.

 

Taemin POV

 We stayed in the position for a few minutes, before you released me from your embrace. Reaching out for your bike keys, you held my hand and walked me outside.

“I’ll fetch you home.” I nodded my head, as you passed the helmet to me.

Leaning my head on your back while you rode the bike, I wrapped my arms around you waist as I feel the wind blowing against my dress.

“Minho…”

“Hmm?”

“We…we would be best friends, right?” I could feel your hesitation.

 “Y---Yes.”

We would rather be best friends for the rest of our lives,

 Rather than picking up the courage to be each other’s lover for once.

Just for once

 

 

 

Author’s Note: Anyway, I wrote this story according to an MV from Show Luo (罗志祥), another singer that I adore A LOT.