FINAL

Just my Luck

 

I pressed my fingertips against the cold window pane. Today was not my day, I was running out of luck. Today was more than what I had imagined. THE WORST, I should say.

First, I was late. I was rushing on my way to school because my alarm clock broke and the bus that was supposed to take me to school was jam-packed. Second, I forgot my notes. Or maybe I lost it on the way, I didn't know, but I knew it wasn't with me anymore. Third, Kris started to ignore me. I don't know what's his reason for avoiding me, but I had the idea that maybe he knew I had a big crush on him. (Imagine the biggest thing you know.) We were friends since elementary and since then, I had liked him. He was more of the silent type on the outside, but a real dork on the inside. We both knew each other well, there were things we would agree on, there were some that we had to fight on. He was my best friend. And I never wanted to go beyond that. Simply because he was the type of guy girls would rush to. He's the most popular guy in school, he's good-looking, and he's intelligent. Name it, he has it. Well, not literally. Because of that, and because I knew I did not stand a chance against the others, I decided to ignore my feelings and let our friendship run. Being friends with him was far much better than being his girlfriend. Friendship lasted longer.

But now, I don't get it. He's ignoring me. Yesterday, he was so busy giving me hi-fives and now, look at him, he's not even looking at me. He even switched places with Suho just to avoid me. He did not sit with me for lunch, did not try to catch my eye. I did not even see him glance at me. Hey, what the eff is he trying to do?

 

The last period subject had just ended and I decided to skip cramming classes so I could lie in bed, think about my luck today and break down events which led to Kris' drama show. Instead, I was surprised with endless rain on my way out. I opened my bag to look for my umbrella and found nothing. Good grief, today was not really meant for me. Really, this is seriously getting annoying.

I stood up on the school’s front lobby, dumbstruck. I did not want any of this. I did not ask for any of this. I did not need anything like this to notice my worth. I wanted to run away, but I hated the rain. I did not want to get wet, I did not want to get cold, I did not want to get sick. So, to add more fuel to the fire, I cried like a baby while other students rushed past me.

“Eottoke?” I said to myself and started to wonder if I was really going to survive this day and will be able to live tomorrow.

I had no other choice but to run in the rain, there was nothing else left. It was pouring really hard and I had to get home. I had to.

 

“Okay, let’s do this.” I said and made my way outside.

 

Before I could take a step, someone pulled my hand which made me stop. I looked at the person and my eyes popped out from its sockets. I looked at him, speechless.

I knew there were some dramas on TV where a guy pulls a girl and she says something really intelligent then the guy would find himself looking into the girl’s eyes. Instead, here we are, guesting in a comedy sitcom where we look at each other like someone stole something. And obviously, person number two is going to blame person number one.

“You hate the rain. How could you just walk directly without your umbrella?” Kris asked me, worry obvious on his face.

“I don’t have my umbrella. Now, continue what you were busy doing and don’t mind me. I’m not your business.” I fired at him and wriggled my hand free.

But hell, I couldn’t pull it out because he was holding it tight.

“What was I doing?” he asked again as he looked into my eyes. Now, tell me how I could avoid that.

“You ignored me the whole day. Let me go.” I answered and looked at him. On his lips, precisely. I was afraid that if I stare back at him, I couldn’t fight back the tears.

“I wasn’t ignoring you, I was thinking hard about something.” He reasoned out.

“Oh, the hell I care. Let me go.” I nag at him. Before he could protest, I managed to pull my hand and walk away, into the rain. He catches up behind me after a few seconds, an umbrella on his hand.

 

“You see—“

“Stop following me.” I muttered out, trying to walk faster. Never mind the rain.

“Look, stop. Stop right there and let me explain.” He said, his tone irritated. Something on his voice made me halt.

He caught up beside me and pulled me in. He took my face and I was forced to look at him.

“Look, I was thinking about this for a very long time and now I don’t freaking care how you react to what I’m going to say.” He said, looking deeply into my eyes. There was nothing I could do, my heart was beating fast and my muscles did not want to coordinate, count in the sweaty palms.

 

“I like you. I like you very much.” He said.

It was nothing like I imagined. I did not even expect this kind of thing to happen. Here was Kris, telling me he likes me. A clumsy, stupid girl.

“Don’t make me wait. You know I hate waiting.” He teased, knowing he was winning this game.

“Good, cause I like you too.” I had managed to answer, fighting back the smile.

“Great, now we’re even.” I said and took his hand as we walked along.

“No. Not yet.” he said and pulled me to a stop.

 

He looked at me with a smile and pulled me for a kiss on the lips. The umbrella fell from his hands and I felt his arms lock around me.

 

“Now, I have a reason to love the rain.” I said after breaking the kiss. He smiled and left the umbrella behind. We didn’t care what happened next. We just continued to walk, and enjoyed the moment.

 

Today, I was late for school, lost my notes, failed in the test, ignored by Kris, forgot my umbrella. But in the end?

 

IT WAS ALL WORTH IT  ;) ~