Chapter 2: The Right To Know

Behind Closed Doors
Red is Mandarin, Blue is English, Black is Korean
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
‘Something is definitely wrong. It’s impossible to have that many bruises just from tripping down stairs…but is it my place to ask?’
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
(3rd P.O.V)
 
Baekhyun sighed, which didn’t go unnoticed by his best friend.
“Eh~ what’s up doc?” Chanyeol joked, hoping to make Baekhyun laugh.
But all Chanyeol got was another sigh.
“Nothing~ I’m probably just tired,” Baekhyun sighed as he rubbed his eye.
Chanyeol raised an eyebrow as Baekhyun brushed past him and into the kitchen.
 
It was now after breakfast and the boys were getting ready to leave for their schedules. (It’s around 7:15 now)
“Will you be okay here while we’re at our schedules?” D.O asked Sookyung as he put his shoes on.
Sookyung smiled and nodded.
“Don’t worry oppa I’ll be fine,” she said, “I’ll probably just sleep a bit then go explore around the city, maybe I’ll come by your company and visit.”
D.O scrunched his face in concern.
“Explore the city?” he questioned, “But Sookyung-ah, you don’t know your way around here. What if you get lost?”
D.O’s eyes widened as he gasped.
“OR KIDNAPPED?!!?” he panicked, “Andeh! You have to stay here!”
Sookyung face palmed before smacking D.O’s head.
“D.O don’t you think you’re exaggerating a bit?” Luhan said as he walked up to the twins.
Sookyung threw her arms up.
“Thank you Luhan-gege!” she exclaimed before putting her hands on her hips, “At least someone has some sense unlike someone here.”
D.O furiously shook his head.
“Andeh! My baby sister CAN NOT go out by herself!” he exclaimed.
Your brother is really over-protective,” Luhan stated.
He wasn’t as bad when we were younger, I think he’s being like this because we’re older,” Sookyung guessed.
Luhan chuckled.
“Yah! I know you’re talking about me!” D.O exclaimed, “Stop talking in Mandarin!”
Sookyung scowled slightly and plugged her ears.
“Oppa stop yelling,” she said, “And who said we were talking about you? What if Luhan-gege just asked me how I was?”
“She got you there D.O,” Luhan commented.
“Score one for Sookyung! D.O’s current score is 0~” Chanyeol commented popping up out of nowhere.
They all jumped in surprise at Chanyeol’s sudden appearance.
“Chanyeol-oppa how do you pop out of nowhere like that???” Sookyung questioned putting her hand on her chest.
Chanyeol tilted his head to the side in confusion.
“Oppa?” he questioned.
Sookyung nodded.
“You’re still older than me, even if only by a couple months,” she stated smiling.
Chanyeol beamed and smiled widely before hugging Sookyung.
“It’s so nice being called oppa!” he exclaimed jumping slightly.
“Yah, you’re called oppa by our fans on a daily basis,” D.O stated.
Chanyeol lifted his head and stuck his tongue out at D.O.
“It’s nice hearing it from a friend!” he exclaimed.
Sookyung laughed and patted Chanyeol’s head. (She doesn’t need to get on her tip toes. I’m 5’1” and I can reach the top of my friend’s head with no trouble at all. And he’s 6’2” XP)
“C’mon guys we have to go!” they heard Suho call from outside.
“You guys should go,” Sookyung said before turning to D.O with a stern look, “And oppa, I know you’re just worried about me but I can take care of myself.”
D.O sighed and rested his hands on Sookyung’s shoulders.
“You don’t think I don’t know that?” he sighed, “I just want you to be safe, that’s all.”
Sookyung softened and hugged her brother.
“I appreciate your concern oppa, really I do,” she smiled, “But you don’t have to worry, really.”
D.O sighed again as he tightened the hug a bit.
“Araso, I’ll take your word for it,” he said before handing Sookyung his cell phone.
Sookyung raised an eyebrow and looked at D.O with a confused expression.
“Since you don’t have a phone here yet you can use mine,” D.O explained, “Make sure you keep it with you at all times, answer when I call, and call me if there’s an emergency alright?”
Sookyung giggled slightly.
Yes mommy~” she teased.
D.O pinched her cheek before heading out the door. Sookyung followed him and waved to the other EXO members before Sehun stuck his head out the window.
“BYE NOONA~!” he called waving his arms frantically.
Sookyung laughed a little and waved back.
“Sehun get back in the van before you get hurt!” she called.
“DEH~!” Sehun called before disappearing into the van.
Sookyung shook her head and waved at the vans as they disappeared through the gates (I assume there are gates around their house anyway -_-). When they were gone, Sookyung yawned and walked back up to D.O’s and Kai’s room. Sookyung plopped down on D.O’s bed and stretched before sighing.
“Was it a good idea to come here?” she asked herself, “I don’t want to be a burden on Kyungsoo…”
Sookyung sighed again and decided to sleep a bit, but that thought was destroyed when she felt the bed sink down a bit. Sookyung’s eyes shot open and looked to her right to see a dog staring at her, its head slightly tilted to the side.
“Omo!” Sookyung cried out in surprise.
The dog barked once before sitting down. Sookyung sighed in relief and held her hand out. The dog sniffed her hand before rubbing its head against it. Sookyung smiled and pet the dogs head before setting it on her lap and looking at its collar.
“Oh! You must be Kai’s dog…Monggu?” she questioned, “Oppa’s told me about you. You give your appa a hard time don’t you?” (Imagine Kai only has Monggu)
Monggu barked once as his tail shook. Sookyung smiled and pet Monggu’s head as he tried to her hand. Sookyung giggled and continued to play with Monggu.
“Monggu-yah, are you hungry?” she asked, “Noona will find some food for you~”
Monggu happily panted as he followed Sookyung down the stairs and into the pantry. (which Sookyung came across during breakfast)
“Let’s see~” Sookyung hummed as she tapped her chin and looked around, “If I was Kai where would I put Monggu’s food?”
A light bulb flashed in Sookyung’s head before she looked down at the bottom shelf. Sookyung spotted Monggu’s food bowl and brought it over to where the food bag was. She opened the bag and noticed a small bowl already inside, guessing that Kai had left it in there. Sookyung filled Monggu’s bowl and set it down in front of him. Sookyung sighed and pet Monggu’s head as he ate.
“Monggu-yah, your appa is terrible,” she commented, “He forgot to feed you before he left. He was lucky that I was here or you would’ve starved.”
 
*With EXO*
 
EXO had just arrived to the SM building and as they were piling into their practice room, Kai suddenly gasped loudly, causing everyone to look at him confused.
“I FORGOT TOT FEED MONGGU!!” he exclaimed, “I need to go back to the dorm!”
D.O caught Kai’s arm before he could run out.
“Why don’t you call Sookyung and just ask her to feed him?” he suggested, “Since his irresponsible father forgot to.”
The other members snickered as Sehun blinked in confusion.
“But noona doesn’t have a phone yet,” he stated.
“I let her borrow mine until she can get one,” D.O stated.
Kai hastily pulled out his phone and dialed D.O’s number. It rang two times before Sookyung answered.
“Yeobosehyeo?”
“NOONA! HELP ME IT’S AN EMERGENCY!”
Sookyung giggled quietly.
“What’s wrong Kai?”
“Uh well, I have a dog, his name is Monggu, and I forgot to feed him before I left…I was wondering if you aren’t busy right now…if you could feed him…”
An evil idea grew in Sookyung’s head.
“Ah ottoke? I already left the dorm 15 minutes ago…” (What to do)
Panic grew in Kai as he recalled that Monggu hadn’t eaten since the afternoon the day before.
“HYUNG I NEED TO GO BACK TO THE DORM!!!!”
Sookyung pulled the phone away from her ear and covered the speaker to laugh loudly. Monggu sat in front of her, happily panting and wagging his tail. Sookyung could hear Kai panicking on the other end of the phone.
“Monggu-yah say hi to appa,” she said before taking her hand off the speaker.
Monggu barked and the sound from the speaker suddenly stopped.
“YAH NOONA! THAT’S NOT FUNNY!!!!!”
Sookyung laughed as she also heard laughter from the other EXO members in the background.
“Mianheyeo Jongin-ah~ I couldn’t resist.”
“Did you feed Monggu?”
Sookyung laughed a little as she could see Kai pouting on the other end.
“Yes, I did.”
“Araso, next time don’t do that noona, you almost gave me a heart attack!”
“Mianhe Jongin-ah~”
“Kai gimme the phone,” D.O’s voice could be heard.
Some ruffle sounds were heard before D.O spoke.
“Sookyung-ah?”
“Hi oppa~”
D.O chuckled.
“Hi, is everything alright over there?”
“Oppa it hasn’t even been an hour since I last saw you, what could possibly happen?”
“Please don’t make me list out the possibilities.”
Sookyung laughed.
“Araso araso, but I’m fine. I was just playing with Monggu.”
“Well it’s good that you got along with your new roommate.”
Sookyung laughed again.
“Tell me about it, but I think me and Monggu are going to take a nap now cuz I think Monggu just yawned.”
“That lazy dog…” Kai’s grumble could be heard.
D.O chuckled.
“Araso rest well.”
“Deh~ practice well oppa and don’t overwork yourself.”
“I won’t~ annyeong.”
“Tell the others I said hi~ annyeong~”
D.O hung up and gave Kai his phone back.
“Sookyung says hi,” he called out as he set his bag down.
“I wanted to talk to noona,” Sehun stated pouting.
 
*With Sookyung; 3:15 pm*
 
After a long nap with Monggu, Sookyung decided to get up and go walk around the neighborhood. Sookyung changed her clothes and let Monggu out into the backyard with his food and water bowl.
“I’ll be back later,” Sookyung told Monggu as she pet his head, “You behave and don’t cause any trouble araso? Your appa will get mad otherwise.”
Monggu barked and Sookyung’s hand. She giggled and pet Monggu’s head again before going back inside to wash her hands. Sookyung made sure everything was in order before leaving the dorm.
 
*With EXO*
 
“OH MAN~ I’M POOPED!”
It was now their half hour break and EXO collapsed in several parts of their practice room, trying to catch their breath.
“I’m so tired~” Chanyeol complained as he rolled back and forth on the floor.
“Yah stop rolling like a buffalo,” Kris growled in annoyance as Chanyeol’s foot accidently kicked his head.
Chanyeol stopped rolling and lifted his head a bit.
“Oops, sorry hyung,” Chanyeol said before rolling back to his original spot.
“I wonder what noona’s doing right now,” Sehun wondered.
“Speaking of Sookyung,” Luhan began as he sat up and looked at D.O, “How did she get all those bruises?”
D.O tensed and cleared his throat before taking a drink from his water bottle, a habit he normally did when he was nervous (I don’t know if it’s true but bear with me here >~<). The others stopped what they were doing as well and looked at D.O.
“I-I told you already, she bruises easily,” D.O lied nervously, “And she said she fell down the stairs before coming here.”
“D.O how dumb do you think we are?” Xiumin snapped.
D.O flinched as it was rare for Xiumin to get mad.
“No one can possibly get that many bruises from just falling down stairs alone, even if they bruise easily,” Lay stated.
Suho crossed his arms and looked at D.O with a stern look.
“What aren’t you telling us D.O?” he asked, “I think we deserve to know what’s going on since we’ll be living together for a while.”
D.O sighed as he cast his eyes down.
“It’s not my place to tell you,” D.O said.
“And why not?” Chen questioned, “You’re her brother aren’t you?”
“I am…but I don’t know if she wants other people to know…she hasn’t told anyone except me.”
“Well why don’t you just call noona and ask her if it’s okay,” Sehun suggested.
D.O ruffled his hair in frustration.
“Guys~ she just got here,” he began, “I don’t want her to think that I don’t want her here by asking her all these questions.”
“Why would she think that just by asking her if it was okay to tell us?” Chanyeol questioned.
“So you have two options right now,” Tao said, “You can either call Sookyung and ask her if it’s okay, OR~ you can just tell us and tell her about it later.”
D.O sighed again.
“Either way I have to tell you,” he pouted.
“It’s only fair D.O,” Kai pointed out.
 “It might be better to call her and ask since you’re getting her permission,” Baekhyun suggested, “Since you’re not just out front telling us, it might be better than just telling us and upsetting her later.”
D.O sighed…again.
“Anyone wanna hand me their phone…?” he asked frowning.
Chanyeol got up and handed D.O his phone before patting his back. D.O dialed his number and waited. It rang two times before Sookyung answered.
“Yeobosehyeo?”
“Yeobosehyeo? Sookyung-ah?”
“Oh oppa! How’s practice?”
“I-It’s fine.”
“Is something wrong oppa?”
“Nothing’s wrong…eodinya?” (Where are you)
“Na? I’m at the park near the dorm.” (Me)
D.O pulled the phone away from his ear and covered the speaker.
“Guys~ she’s in public! I don’t want her to have a breakdown~!” he hissed.
“Just ask her!” the rest of EXO hissed back.
“Hello? Oppa are you there?”
D.O hastily cleared his throat and put the phone back to his ear.
“U-Uwh I’m here.” (Yeah)
“Oh okay.”
“Uh Sookyung-ah…”
“Hmm?”
“I-I have something to ask you…”
“Okay, shoot.”
“U-Uh w-well, the members were curious of your…situation…they wanted me to ask you if it was okay to tell them…”
There was a long pause.
“H-Hello? Sookyung-ah? You there?”
“…You can tell them,” Sookyung answered with a soft voice.
“Are you sure?”
“Yes, they have a right to know since we’ll be living together…”
“A-Alright…make sure you get home before dark.”
“Okay oppa.”
Sookyung hung up before D.O could ask if she was okay. D.O sighed and handed Chanyeol his phone back.
“So?” Kai questioned.
“She said it was okay but she’s probably crying now,” D.O sighed.
Suho patted D.O’s shoulder.
“Don’t worry, we’ll make it up to her somehow,” he said.
D.O sighed for the nth time that day.
“So? She gave her permission, tell us,” Tao urged.
“She’s abused by our mother,” D.O bluntly stated.
The EXO members froze where they sat in shock.
“A-Abused?” Baekhyun questioned.
D.O nodded his head as tears started to form in his eyes.
“A year after I left, our parents divorced and my mom blamed Sookyung for it and for their financial problems…so my mom started to drink a lot and abuse Sookyung,” D.O explained, “Sookyung had to go back to our old high school and work her off just to support our mom.”
“Old high school?” Kris questioned.
D.O nodded.
“We used to attend LaGuardia High School in New York,” he stated.
Everyone’s eyes widened.
“L-LaGuardia High School? Y-You mean LaGuardia Arts?!” Lay asked.
“Yeah why?” D.O asked raising an eyebrow.
“D-Do you know how hard it is to get into that school?!” Luhan exclaimed, “You have to be crazy talented to be even considered eligible!” (Imagine the LaGuardia Arts is a private school)
“How did you get in?!” Chen questioned.
“Me and Sookyung just auditioned and got in,” D.O stated confused.
The EXO members gawked at D.O like he had 10 heads. Chanyeol was the first to snap out of it and clear his throat.
“So how long as your mother been abusing Sookyung?” he asked.
“Mmm…about 2 years or so,” D.O stated.
“And you made her come live with us in order to help her escape,” Xiumin concluded.
D.O nodded.
“Poor noona~” Sehun chimed frowning.
“Sookyung hates being pitied the most out of anything,” D.O stated, “So whatever you do, don’t pity her. Just treat her the way you have been.”
The members nodded as their choreographer came back in.
“Alright guys back to practice!”
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
End~! So evil EXO forced D.O to tell them the truth. *gasp* what happens now??? Read the next chapter to find out XP
 
And Monggu is so cute XD Most fanfics don’t add him in and its sad cuz Monggu is so cute, so is Jjanggu but I only wanted to use Monggu XD
 
Tell me what you guys think~ I need some feedback~
 
Date & Time Completed: August 20, 2012 9:39 PM
 
Listening To: Tasty – Pasta Buster