..... To the End of Him

Incoherent

Super Arena Concert Stadium, Tokyo, 2011

 

*tick, tick, tick*

“I don’t really understand your obsession with raindrops.”

“Me too, actually.”

Hyun Joong glanced to his left and found his Manager-Noona smiled at him while still standing behind the entry of the backstage door. She threw him a towel to wipe his wet face. 

“Thanks Noona.” He smiled at her and nodded.

“Get in then, I don’t want my idol to get sick before his concert and get fired because of that.”

He chuckled but stepped inside. Leaving the warmness he felt, which strangely only happened when the heavy autumn raindrops were tickling his face.

“I would not let that happen, Noona.” He threw the towel back to her and winked. “I won't be able to find someone else who cooked ramen better than you.”

She laughed but then smiled sadly when she saw his eyes closed. Being his manager for such a long time, and one of those small circles who knew well what was happening with him early this year, she could not do anything besides praying that he would be at least feel lighter during concert.

After all, that was also one reason why he could not be with her.

“You know, I lied before by saying I don’t know why you like to wash your face with the rain.”

His eyes fluttered open. “Me too, actually.” Then unconsciously he touched his hand to his chest.

His manager nodded and excused herself. Letting the star, her dongsaeng, to reminisce some memories that she knew were the most precious ones for him.

Hyun Joong heard the door of his private make shift closet closed softly. He let out a deep sigh and pulled out something from his jeans pocket.

A shining cross pendant was lying in his hand. He put it on his other hand and fondly traced the pendant as if  he was touching the one that gave that to him. And softly, as usual, his eyes were teary.

It was a rain scene when he understood clearly what his feeling toward the bubbly petite girl.

It was a real rain when she gave him the pendant while at the same broke his heart apart.

He was never thought that their romantic relationship or any relation whatsoever between them, would be that serious and depth like that. Since when he first pursuing her, it was more about competition and pride.

He was half expected that she would trail him around like a little puppy. So he was preparing himself to be a cool Sunbae. But the moment she went into the briefing room, he could not help to try to catch her eyes because after all, they would be ‘kissing partners’ for the whole series. He could see that she was worry to meet him, hidden behind Tae Sun’s towering figure.

But when he finally caught her eyes, he was somehow felt so intrigued.

So he smiled at her, encouraged her to lock her eyes on his. A trick that he knew work every time with every woman. Yet, when their eyes met, he knew he was making a mistake. Her eyes were different. It was not only bright and shining, they were also soft and vulnerable. He knew now why his management told him to stay professional when he chose to be an actor.

It was so easy to lose oneself into the eyes of Jung So Min

She still avoided looking to him unless the PD-Hyung asked her to do so. His competitive nature was hurt a little because of that. Especially when she called Tae Sun as ‘Oppa’ and him as ‘Sunbae’. So he did what he knew best, smiling and teasing.

Yet at the end of the day, he was pretty sure that were no longer a merely acts.

But it was when they shoot their first kissing scene that he knew that he was in trouble.

Their lips met in the most awkward kissing scene he ever experienced. He told himself that must because they only known each other for days that the kiss was a stiff kiss. Well, to be honest, it was not like a kiss anyway; it was just a stiff brief touch of his lips over hers. But when her face was merely centimeters away from him and he could see clearly her pouty red lips, he knew that he was doomed.

He got it bad from the first touch.

He understood now, but he did not at that time. All he knew was that he wanted to be with her all the time. Seeing her laughed was a joy time that he could not apprehended. Watching her blushing was his new favorite leisure time.

He even stayed with her when his own takes were done.

And that was not even enough. She still spent time more with the other casts and the crews. Until that one day PD-Hyung called him to tell him about the ‘real’ kiss scene, and that he wanted that to be believable since after all, “Playful Kiss” was the title.

Hyun Joong understood what the message was. So Min, or he preferred to call her Yoon Ji since that was the girl’s real name, was not very experienced on kissing scene, while ‘Yoon Ji Hoo and Min Seo Hyun’ kiss was a hit. He nodded his head to the PD to let him knew he understood and that he would do the best of it. But deep down his heart he knew that it was not as easy as it seemed.

Because he was not attracted with any previous leading lady.

That, until he saw her sat quietly while reading her script. Then out of nowhere, his confidence was back and he offered her to read and practice their kissing scene together. She blinked at first but when she was still not convinced, he winked and smirked.

“After all, that would give us less NGs and more time for us to chat and hang out.”

He was sure she watched him in confusion but he stole a glance and saw her smiling.

And that was when his smirk turned into a soft smile.

They were inseparable at set since then. Everybody knew that he was not an extrovert person. He let only few people knew about the real him. His family, past girlfriends, his SS501 dongsaengs, and his Manager-Noona were almost all of those who had such privileges.

Then this petite girl with contagious giggles invaded his space and he let her did that. He let her learned who was Kim Hyun Joong was. The man behind the persona.

Maybe because they both were once rebelled against their family to get their goals.

Maybe simply because the highest rules of attraction, which was opposite attract.

*tick-tock, tick-tock*

“Hyun Joong-ah, you are up in fifteen minutes.”

He nodded silently while still locking his eyes on the pendant on his hand.

“See you in a bit then.” His manager closed the door softly, again.

He closed his eyes and remembered a scene. It was raining like this, and she was sick. But they had to film that big scene. The one when Seung Jo was admitting to Ha Ni that he was actually in love with the girl.

They had practice the scene several times before and even couple of times before the take. But he could not able to practice the kiss itself. His heart beating so hard every time they did the conversation written on the script. It was like it was him, not Seung Jo, who would do a confession.

Lucky that she was also nervous, laughing every time, and then when the take was taken, her regular stomach ache came back.

“Maybe we should ask for a postponement until you feel better.”

“No, I am fine Oppa, let’s go.”

He pulled her closely under the blanket while waiting for the director to start the take. Everyone around would think it was part of the practice, but he knew, and later he knew that she knew too, that it was far from act.

He was worried to death for the girl who still could laugh when was in pain.

That's it. He blinked and touched his face. These days, he was no longer surprised when he could found teardrops in his eyes when the rain was falling hard outside. But that day, six months after the last raining she was beside him, his found his long lost strength to fight.

Because after all, he was still in love, so very much, with Kim Yoon Ji.