Birthday wish

The Maid and The Prince

 

June 29 , 2001

“Dongho oppa! Happy Birthday!” the little girl said bashfully, following the little guy around his playroom…

“Can I play with you?” the little girl asked hopefully, looking at the older kid with big adoring eyes. The boy looked at her, studying her up and down.  

“No!” He exclaimed haughtily, arms akimbo. “You’re not worthy enough to play with me!” The little girl looked at the boy with her big dewy eyes, now round with despair. parted to form a sad face, pouting slightly as she started to ask again.

“But why, I like you!” she said, completely naïve. The little boy’s face turned pink at her words. He looked away, his brows scrunching up as he thought of how to answer her.

“Well…you can’t stay around me like that! You’re not worthy of me! Not enough to be my friend!” he told her, taking out his toys and started to play with them. He watched silently from the corner of his eye as she balled her hands into fists, maybe finally giving up playing with him.

“Then I’ll be your maid!” she exclaimed, a fierce look in her eyes.

The boy looked up at the girl in front of him, surprised that she could come up with such an interesting theory.

“Okay…” he dragged, “ go get me my coat!” Her eyes lit up as she bounced out of the room, running to the sitting room where the little master’s coat laid.

“Dongho oppa! Here!” she said, her eyes shining with achievement. The little boy looked at her…was she really serious about being his maid?

August 18, 2001

“Ha Na!” Dongho yelled. The little ‘maid’ came scurrying to him.

“Yeah, oppa?” she asked, a smile etched upon her cute cheeks. He couldn’t believe her aegyo.

“Uhm…oppa says…you can play with him…only because he’s bored!” he added, not wanting to sound like he wants her to play with him. He watched as she looked delighted, starting to take out toys to play…

She’s cute…he thought.

June 29, 2004

“Oppa, happy birthday!” the still little girl said to him, smiling brightly at him. The young boy couldn’t hide his glee as he grinned back at her, glad that she came to his birthday party.

“Hello, maid Ha Na. “ he called in greeting. The little girl frowned at him, “What? It’s not a crime to be your maid right!” she pouted, sitting beside him.

“Nuh uh.” He said, shaking a finger. “you can’t sit beside me.” He gestured to the floor.

“Sit there! At the feet of your master!” he exclaimed, finding it funny as he bullied the adorable girl. Ha Na sighed, and sat in front of him.

“Yes master…” she said, her eyes trailing to one of the boys invited to Dongho’s birthday party. Curious, he followed her gaze…ah. It was Eli hyung. He frowned. Why was she staring at him? He motioned for his hyung to come to him. Walking casually albeit looking suave, Eli grinned at him.

“Hey little brother! Happy birthday!” He said, ruffling Dongho’s hair.

“Ah, hyung…you know her?” he whispered cautiously into Eli’s ear. His hyung shook his head.

“But she keeps staring at me though.” Eli said. “Hello!” he smiled sweetly at little Ha Na.

The little girl blushed furiously,” hello oppa…” Scowling, Dongho pulled her away from him, bringing her up to his room.

“yah, you’re 8 already, don’t act like a little kid!” Dongho told her, lazing on his bed while she laid on the floor, reading a book.

“I know, I don’t act like a kid!” she insisted. Dongho hesitated for a moment as he cast her a look…

“Say…do you like my hyung?” he asked her, looking at her as he waited for reply. She flushed red.

“Of course not!” she exclaimed, bending her head as her long wavy hair formed a curtain around her face, blocking it from him. He stared at her in disbelief. So she did like him?

September 12, 2011

“Ha Na! Happy Birthday~” Dongho greeted, leaning down to kiss the girl’s pretty cheek. Ha Na scowled at him, smacking his arm playfully.

“Don’t tease me like that oppa!” she said, pouting at him. Dongho chuckled at her.

“Or what huh, Maid Ha Na?” he mocked her. She frowned at him, putting her hands on her waist.

“What maid?” she asked, confused. Dongho looked at her, feeling something heavy drop on him. What? She forgot so fast about her childhood years?

“Don’t you remember?” he asked her. She waved him off, “I’m not a maid…not your maid anymore okay? I don’t want to be a maid anymore…I’m a princess~” she smiled cheekily at him. Dongho forced a smile.

A joke that he started years ago…now has backfired on him.

September 12, 2012

“Oppa!” Ha Na said happily as Dongho made his way to her. He smiled at her,’ Happy Birthday~” He looked her up and down.

Wearing a sparkly pink gown, she had strappy heels and a sparkling tiara on top her hair, which twisted in an elegant twirl. She fulfilled her own wish of becoming a princess. Princess Ha Na. She looked so cute…

“Oppa?” she asked, concerned as she placed an arm on his hand. Dongho smiled down at her.

“What?”

“Nothing…”

Dongho gestured for her to follow him. He brought her outside, reaching the garden.

“Maid Ha Na…” he said casually.

“I told you before…I’m not your maid anymore.” She told him, “ I’m a princess.” He chuckled.

“okay then…princess…let’s play a game.” She pouted at him.

“But I’m not a kid anymore! And you’re just a boy! You can’t play with a princess!” she added, giggling to herself.

“…then I’ll be a prince…” he said. She looked at him, wonderingly. Dongho approached the bewildered girl, a smile placed serenely on his face.

“Oppa…what are you talking about?” she mumbled, shy at his closeness. She heard his low chuckle.

“Ha Na…you love me don’t you?” he asked her, meeting her gaze. She blushed. Oh yeah…she did tell him she liked him when they were young but she didn’t expect that he would remember…

“Yes…” she replied, looking at him. Realizing what she just said, she blushed, bending her head again, trying to hide her face…embarrassing…

“Ha Na…” she heard him say softly…She looked up, her lips meeting with something soft and warm as Dongho kissed her sweetly, his arms wrapped in a tight embrace around her. “I’ll be your prince…” he murmured, kissing her again.

She felt herself lean into him as he broke the kiss, smiling to himself. A prince?

“Okay oppa. You can be my prince.” She said formally. Dongho took one look at her and burst out laughing.

“Nuh uh. You’ll be my maid.” He chuckled. She glared at him,” no! I’m a princess!!”

“Yes, my dear maid” he insisted, claiming once more as he stopped her from talking.

“Princess!” she said again.

He sighed,” yes. You’re my very cute and adorable princess.”

Ha Na smiled. “and they lived happily ever after!” she giggled.