Chance

Chance

 

 

"I'm sorry, ______-ah, but I don't think I can make it tonight. The guys want to hang out. You understand right?"

"I guess so..." you mumbled into the microphone of your cellphone. 

"Thanks for understanding, jagi-ah. I promise I'll make it next time."

'That's what you said last time, and the time before that, and the time before that,' you thought as you ended your conversation with Chanyeol and hung up the phone. 

You knew that dating a rookie idol, or any idol for that matter, would not be a walk in the park. You understood that. But when you started to date Chanyeol, you didn't expect things to happen like this. In the beginning, he would take you out on romantic dates and shock you with cute surprises all the time. But now, it seemed like every time you wanted to spend time with him, he would shut you down for s. At first you thought it was adorable, the bond that he had with the other members of Exo. But when more and more dates got rain checked, postponed, and even cancelled, that bond didn't seem so cute anymore. 

Was he avoiding you? Does he not love you anymore? Is this his way of hinting that he wants to break up? 

Those were just a few of the questions that clouded your mind during the day and kept you up at night. You weren't going to lie, you did think about ending things with Chanyeol. But every time you thought you had made the decision to end your relationship, Chanyeol would give you a call or send you a sweet text and make you fall for him all over again. 

And that's what you hated.

You hated his bright smile, his happy personality, his deep, silky voice. You hated how you felt so secure in his arms when he hugged you or how you always felt so safe when you walked next to him. You hated how he made your heart beat faster when he kissed you or how you missed him when he wasn't by your side. 

But you knew, some where in the back of your mind, that Chanyeol just didn't have enough time for a girlfriend in his new hectic life. When he wasn't in another country or performing on various music shows, he was doing interviews and photo shoots. But whenever he had a bit of free time, you would think that he would try and spend it with you, his girlfriend, right? Wrong. He would spend it with s, the same members that he sees every, single day. Heck, he even lives with them! 

As his schedule got busier, you couldn't help but feel a little neglected, like you just weren't important to him anymore. And even though his recent promotions ended a while ago, the two of you hadn't been on a single date yet. The only times when you actually seen him are when the two of you video call each other, but those calls wouldn't last long since "the members were waiting for him" every time. 

So, there you were, sitting in your apartment, totally alone. Although it pained you just to think about it, you knew what you had to do, you've actually known for a while now. You knew that you had to break up with him, but you just couldn't bring yourself to do it, you loved him too much.

'I'll give him one more chance, one more chance to prove that I am just as important to him as s,' you decided in your head, 'One more chance.'

A few days later, you were sitting in your living room, working on a paper for one of your classes, when you heard a knock at your door. You saved your document and went to see who it was. When you opened the door, all you saw was a bouquet of flowers being shoved into your face. You pushed the flowers aside and saw Chanyeol standing there with a smile on his face.

"Surprise!" he exclaimed and enveloped you into a hug.

"Oppa! What are you doing here?" you asked as your reciprocated the hug, a smile on your own face.

You pulled him into your apartment and the both of you sat down on the couch after you placed the flowers in some water. You were genuinely shocked that he came, but delighted nonetheless. Maybe you didn't have to break up with him, maybe he wouldn't ruin his last chance. 

"Well, we haven't seen each other in a while and I'm off today, so I thought this visit was long overdue," he said, "But I can't stay long, I'm meeting the members for lunch in about half an hour."

"Half an hour?" 

And there went his chance. After months of not seeing each other in person, he couldn't even give you a full hour of his day off. 

'You have to do it ______. Just end it now,' you chanted in your head.

"Oppa," you called softly.

"Hmm?"

You took a deep breath, "I don't think that this is going to work out."

Chanyeol tilted his head in confusion, "What's not going to work out?"

"Us," you whispered and stared down at you lap, "Our relationship."

Chanyeol's eyes widened in horror, "W-w-what? Why?"

"It's for the best, you're just so busy now, Oppa...."

Chanyeol grabbed one of your hands causing you to turned your head towards him, surprised at his sudden action.

"Please, please just give me one more chance," he pleaded. 

You could see tears starting to pool in his eyes and it broke your heart to see. You turned your head away from him and closed your eyes, you had to stay strong. 

"I already gave you several chances, Chanyeol-ah."

You felt Chanyeol slowly his hands, along with yours, and rest them on his lap.

"It's because I was spending too much time with the members, huh?" he asked in a whisper.

His prediction was confirmed when you didn't respond. 

You bit your lip when you felt drops of liquid hit your hand and winced when you heard Chanyeol trying to hold back his sobs. It pained you that Chanyeol was in this state, and it hurt you even more to know that you're the one who made him like this.

"I'm so sorry, ______-ah, I didn't know that I was neglecting you. I honestly didn't mean to, it's just that every time I asked if it was okay to hang out with my members instead of you, you said that you understood. God, I'm so stupid." He released your hand and hung his head, ashamed of himself. 

When you looked up, it broke your heart to see him like this. You hadn't even thought about the chance that he might not have even known he wasn't spending enough time with you. You instantly felt regret about the mistake that you just made, "Chanyeol-ah, it's not your fault..."

"Yes! It is my fault!" Chanyeol cried and stood up from the couch, "You deserve a boyfriend who's going to treat you like a princess, who's going to be there for you, who's going to protect you and .... and ....."

"And you do do all of those things for me," you finished for him and stood up to face him, "Sure, you haven't been spending a lot of time with me recently and I felt kind of lonely, but when you are here, you do protect me and do make me feel like a princess. So don't cry, okay?"

A small smile formed on Chanyeol's face when you reached up and wiped his tears with your thumbs. 

"Does this mean that you're giving me another chance?"

You nodded your head and got almost knocked over when he attacked you in a hug.

"Thank you, ______-ah," he whispered then pressed a kiss on your temple. 

You smiled as you wrapped your arms around him and buried your face into his chest. But, you jumped when he suddenly pulled away from the hug and facepalmed himself.

"Aish, pabo!"

"Huh?" you asked, confused.

"Why don't you just come with me whenever I want to hang out with my members?"

Wow, you never thought of that. 

"Let's go!" Chanyeol exclaimed, his usual happy virus expression on his face once again.

"Go where?"

"I said I was meeting my members for lunch and you're coming with me!" Chanyeol grabbed your hand and started to pull you out of the apartment. 

"Oppa! I have to work on a paper that's due tomorrow!" 

"No! There is no time for that! We gotta go!" Chanyeol yelled as he flung the door open.

You laughed, begging him to slow down, as the two of your ran down the hall, the door shutting close behind you.