The Pianist

The Pianist

 

Since you were little you learned how to play piano because you absolutely loved it and your mom was to thank for that. Your mother would play different songs for you on the piano in your living room. It made you happy and inspired you to learn to play. Because of your mom your passion for music was ignited and constantly fueled your determination to play beautifully. 

But a few years ago she had lost her battle with cancer and you lost your love for playing the piano. Everything had seemed to darken, your world no longer bright and happy, you had to drag yourself out of bed everyday to make it seem like you were alright. Everyday you'd plaster on that fake smile and put on a great act for your friends and family.  Your father was always at work even before your mom died so you never really felt close to him. 

But tonight your friends literally dragged you to eat with them at this fancy new restaurant that had just opened up down the street from where you worked. You and your two other friends were seated at a table near the window, while they we're chatting you looked around doing the occasional smile and nod when they were talking. 

Finally not wanting to hear them gossip about the mail guy at the office anymore you got up to go to the bathroom. Once in there you splashed some water on your face to wake yourself up. Suddenly a faint sound was heard throughout the bathroom and oddly enough it sounded familiar. So you followed the sound. 

The source of the familiar sound was coming from a piano with a handsome guy playing it. As if your feet were under some sort of spell they kept moving you towards the piano. As you got closer the pianist saw you and smiled at you. At that moment it hit you, the song he was playing was your mother's favorite she would always play it for you and after you learned it from her. You played it everyday for her when she was sick in bed until the day she died. Instantly tears started pouring out of your eyes the emotions that you hid away for so long came back and hit you bad. The pianist thought he was doing something wrong so he stopped, but when it stopped you were pulled back to reality and you ran out of the restaurant. 

Oddly enough you somehow ended up at your mother's grave. 

"Umma~ I'm so sorry for not visiting you for the past couple of years I just..... I just.... I was weak. Forgive me umma~" 

After venting to your mother you decided to go back to the restaurant but to your surprise it was empty. You stepped in and it was quiet. You made your way over to the piano and sat down. Taking a deep breath you placed your hands on the keys and started playing the song that your mother loved and taught you. Tears were slowly spilling over and rolling down your cheeks. 

Hearing the beautiful sound a man stepped out from the locker room to see who was playing, and slowly walked up to the player. As the song ended he spoke up "that was beautiful. But what are you doing here?"

You jumped at the sudden compliment coming from behind.  "Omo~ I'm sorry i-i shouldn't have been playing in here."

As you turned to face the man he saw your tear drenched face and softened.

"Why are you crying?"

"That song you played earlier tonight was my umma's favorite song and it just reminded me of her so much I just had to go to her and talk..... Thank you" 

"I'm sorry for your loss" he said, slowly walking towards you and hugged you. You just cried into his arms feeling safe. 

"Hey how about we play a song together.......?" he said softly waiting for you to finish his sentence with your name. 

"______. My name is ______. "

"Well ______ you are a great pianist and I, Kim Sunggyu, would be honored to play with you"

Giggling at his words you nodded and the two of you started playing a beautiful song together.

"Thank you for making me feel better Sunggyu... Is there anyway I can repay your kindness?"

"You're welcome. And yes comeback tomorrow night and I will make you something to eat."

You nodded in response as he walked you home. 

"Well here we are~" you singsonged happily. As you turned to leave he pulled on your wrist then hugged yo while he placed a kiss on your forehead. 

You walked into your house the happiest you've been in years. Not even the numerous messages left on your phone by your friends could bring down your mood.