Little Baozi (Oneshot)

Little Baozi (Oneshot)

            Bundled up, Luhan began his trek home through the chilly afternoon weather. On his way, he took his usual shortcut through the alley not far from his apartment. It was there that he saw the tiny tan fur ball trying to disappear into a mass of scattered trash beside the dumpster. The little creature burrowed his way into an empty Chinese takeout box, probably intrigued by the smell, hoping for a delectable treat to quell his rumbling tummy. As soon as he realized there was nothing to be eaten, he mewed loudly, distraught by the lack of sustenance found in the misleading, deliciously scented container. The poor critter wiggled and shimmied, trying to free himself but found it too difficult and continued crying.

            Unable to resist, Luhan stooped down and tipped the contained over, helping the cute kitten free himself. For a moment, they simply stared at one another, sizing each other up. Luhan reached his hand out, giving the critter a chance to approach him. Sniffing his way forward, the kitten hesitated before nudging Luhan’s warm hand affectionately. The poor creature’s soft fur had grown grimy from his time spent in the trash. While giving him a pet down, Luhan felt low, shivering purrs and knew he wouldn’t be able leave this abandoned kitten behind.

            He scooped the mangy kitten up and tucked it safely into his jacket for the walk home, glad to share his warmth with the poor thing. Once home he placed the kitten into his empty clothesbasket so he wouldn’t crawl around getting dirt and possibly fleas everywhere, while Luhan changed from his business clothes to casual wear.

He decided it was best to give the kitten a warm bath before feeding him. Surprisingly the tiny creature didn’t cry out when Luhan placed him in the water filled sink, he remained quiet and looked pitiful all sopping wet and scrawny. Luhan laughed to himself as he dried his new, freshly cleaned baby off and wrapped him up to keep him warm. He then plundered through the refrigerator looking for something to give the kitten.

            In the end, Luhan warmed up a small bowl of milk and set it before the now fluffy kitty. He sat on the floor beside him, watching happily as his baby filled his tummy to the brim with his delicious treat. As he petted the kitten affectionately, he began to think of what Minseok would say once he came home and found he had brought home a stray. “He’ll probably be mad at me,” Luhan thought aloud, picking up the sated kitten and holding it up to his face, touching noses with the cutie. “But how can anyone resist something so cute. I should give you a name,” he cooed, leaning back on the edge of the couch and holding the kitten to his chest. “I wonder what would be best.”

            He barely had a few moments to think on it before Minseok came home and found Luhan cradling the sleeping kitten like a precious newborn baby. “What is that?” he asked incredulously, dropping his bag by the hall and standing over Luhan.

            Biting his lip, Luhan innocently gazed up at Minseok. “How do you feel about adopting?”

            “You’re supposed to ask that before you do the adopting.” Minseok sunk to the floor beside Luhan and reached over to give the kitten a few pets to the head.

            “I know, but this was a special case.”

            “Where’d you get him?”

            “He was digging through the trash around the dumpster. I couldn’t just leave him there.” Smiling Luhan lifted the kitten and offered him to Minseok, knowing that once he held the tiny critter there was no way he would want to get rid of it. Minseok tried to resist and failed, accidentally waking the kitten up in the exchanging process. The baby blinked at Minseok before sniffing eagerly, trying to figure out who this new scent belonged to. He mewed gently, as if talking to Minseok in his own language.

            Fighting back a grin, Minseok allowed the kitten to nuzzle up to his neck, keeping him happy and warm. “If I do let you keep him,” Minseok began. “And I mean if,” he emphasized. “Are you going to take full responsibility for him?”

            Luhan nodded eagerly, eyes widening in excitement. “I promise.”

            “So you’re going to keep him clean and fed?”

            “Yep.” Luhan scooted a little closer to Minseok, cuddling into his side in an attempt to persuade him with affection.

            “No smelly litter boxes, ever!” Minseok eyed Luhan, extremely serious about his demands.

            Luhan bit back a smile and nodded against Minseok’s shoulder. “I promise.”

            “And you’re going to make sure he has all his shots and everything?”

            “Yep.” Luhan watched as Minseok slowly caved in. He never actually doubted being able to keep him, but he liked watching Minseok think he had full control over the situation.

            “Then I guess you can keep him,” Minseok said hugging the kitten a little tighter as it shifted in its sleep, purring all the while.

            “What should we name him?” Luhan used his fingers to pet down the kitten’s back.

            “I don’t know. What do you think?”

            “Well,” Luhan paused, poking Minseok’s cheek as he sat up grinning happily at his own thoughts. “I was thinking we could call him Baozi because he reminds me of you, especially the way he swells up after eating.”

            “Oh really,” Minseok sounded offended. He stood quickly, jostling the kitten awake causing it to cry out in shock. “Then I guess Little Baozi and I will share the bed tonight. There might not be enough room for you considering how much we both swell up after eating.” He stomped away, rather cutely in Luhan’s perspective.

            “Wait, I like my stuffed Baozi. You keep me warm at night.” Luhan whined while following Minseok into the bedroom. “And don’t keep the baby from me. Not after I did all the work of cleaning and feeding him. It’s not fair.”

 


Just a really short drabble I wrote :D

<3 Jae