An Irreplaceable Gift

An Irreplaceable Gift [Sungmin Oneshot]

 

The irresistible aroma of ramen continued to enrapture your kitchen as you wiped your forehead with the back of your hand. Though it all smelled absolutely delicious, your kitchen literally felt like a scorching sauna. You had one giant pot on the stove with steaming hot ramen cooking and a small pan next to it heating up a bit of olive oil to pan fry some dumplings. Ever so often your eyes would shift up from whatever you were stirring to the clock to make sure you had enough time before Sungmin returns home from rehearsals. Usually it's your loving boyfriend Sungmin who cooks, but tonight you wanted to make things a little different. Whenever you woke up in the morning you were always greeted by the fresh aroma of breakfast that Sungmin would leave behind in the kitchen before he ran off to meet s.  

Since his day started hours earlier than yours, you rarely ever get to see him in the morning, but somehow he would always manage to leave you breakfast in his favorite pink Tupperware on the mahogany dining table. It didn't matter how tiring and busy his day was, he always came home with a smile on his face no matter how long his day was. You often even try to stay up late watching korean dramas on your couch to pass time and wait for him to return from work, but you eventually end up dozing off on the couch so Sungmin always was the one who had to carry you off to bed and tuck you in next to him. You really wanted to show your appreciation and gratitude to him for being so compassionate and you thought what better way of doing that than cooking dinner for him yourself? You wanted to treat him tonight for all his hard work-both on and off stage and since he had informed you he would be home for dinner you decided to take full advantage of the fact and surprise him tonight.

As soon as your shift ended at Kona Beans, you came home as quickly as possible to ensure you had the maximum amount of time possible to cook since you knew you were going to need it. Not to say you lacked cooking skill but you were nowhere near as speedy and creative as Sungmin. You could cook basic things like ramen and dumplings, basically anything that came with directions were your specialty, where as Sungmin often liked to improvise and create his own unique flavor. It was one of the many things you admired about him since his special talent allowed him to treat you to some incredibly original dishes. Although you lacked his remarkable ability, you truly hoped this dinner would make him happy.

As you stirred the ramen around with a wooden spoon, you lifted some of the noodles up from the pot and brought it close to your nose inhaling the savory fragrance. Using your fingers, you quickly pulled a single noodle off the spoon and hung it over your face slowly lowering it within your hungry mouth. It was absolutely delicious and perfectly cooked. You sighed in relief as you swallowed the noodle, realizing you had done well.

Alright now that the hard part is over...I just got to steam those dumplings! I can do this! ____-ah fighting!

You placed some dumplings into the pan blanketed in a bit of olive oil and watched over them with a spatula in your hand flipping them around occasionally. As you noticed them growing a crispy golden brown, you poured some water into the pan and placed the lid on top hoping to steam them off to finish. After waiting for a few minutes, you lifted the lid off the pan and turned it over as you went to place it on the limestone counter. Just as you tried to wriggle your hand free from underneath the lid, your thumb made unfortunate contact with the exceedingly hot metal lid. You immediately pulled your hand out from underneath the lid's enclosure as the pain instantly surged up your arm. The color from your face begin to drain as you grimaced in pain. You begin to blow on your finger in desperation hoping to somehow relieve it, but your blows had no effect. Suddenly, you heard the front door swing open and footsteps approaching your vicinity.

Oh no...Sungmin's home. If he finds out I burnt my finger he'll totally flip out.

You knew you had to run your hands in cold water for several minutes to ease the pain, but it was too late, Sungmin had already entered the kitchen.

"_____-ah I'm home! See I told you I'd be here in time for dinner" he stated reassuringly giving you that adorable smile of his. You quickly hid your hand behind your back as he approached you.
"____-ah...everything okay? You look so pale" Sungmin asked as he pulled you in for a warm hug while you placed your free arm behind his smooth neck.
"Aigoo oppa you're always worrying about me" you muttered as you pecked him on his soft warm cheek.

A bright smile emerged on Sungmin's face as he felt your lips tickle his fair skin. He hung his chin cozily on your shoulder as he hugged you tightly. Little did you know that his eyes had eventually caught your hand that was now clenched into a fist with your burnt thumb concealed within it.

"_____-ah, are you hiding something from me?" Sungmin asked in a playful tone.
"Eh?...w-w-waeyo?" You quickly pulled away from him feeling startled by his sudden interrogation.
"Because ever since I walked in, you've had your other hand tucked behind your back...is it a surprise for me? I want to see!!!" Sungmin exclaimed trying to pull your other hand out from behind you.

You immediately spun around bringing your concealed hand in front of you and covering it with your other hand while Sungmin playfully grabbed you by the waist and pulled your back towards him.

"Hehe~ Jagi there's no escape now" Sungmin whispered into your ear as he tightened his grasp on your squirming body.

You felt so close to him, so close that you could almost feel his heart pounding against your back. With one hand locked on your waist, Sungmin lifted your one hand off of the other getting even closer to discovering your unfortunate mishap.

"Oppa..." you begin to plead pitifully but it was too late, Sungmin opened your fingers and noticed your red swelling thumb.

He instantly spun you around to face him with a concerned look on his face.

"_____-ah!!!! What happened?!? Did you burn yourself?!?" Sungmin questioned rapidly with worry written in his eyes.

You silently nodded your head in shame, knowing there's no way Sungmin's ever letting you near stove again.

"Omo my poor Jagiya" he cooed as he begin to gently blow on your stinging finger.

Though you yourself had tried the same thing, it felt different when Sungmin's breath danced on your thumb. His calm warm wisps of air somehow made the stinging die down a bit and made your entire body feel more at ease. He then led you to the kitchen sink, with his one hand around your waist and the other holding your hurt hand. With the faucet spewing icy cold water, Sungmin carefully lowered your hand into the sink while gently rubbing your thumb with his.

"Does it hurt ____-ah?" Sungmin asked worriedly as he looked into your eyes.
"It did at first...but not anymore" you answered giving him a tender smile.

He then turned the faucet off and leaned closer to you, pressing his forehead against yours.

"_____-ah...don't scare me like that" Sungmin said staring into your eyes with anguish on his face.
"Mianhe oppa..." you mumbled in regret.
"Why would you try to hide something like this from me?"
"b-b-because I...didn't want you to worry unnecessarily. Really it's not a serious burn, I'll be okay" you assured.
"_____-ah...I don't care if it's serious or not, I don't like seeing you in pain so no matter what it is, I can't help but worry. I'm sorry if its become burdensome to you" Sungmin sympathized.
"Aniya oppa! Don't say that, you're anything but burdensome. If anything...I'm the burden here" you mumbled as you hung your face to the floor. "You do everything so flawlessly...everything from singing to dancing to DJing-even cooking! But when I go to try to do something special for you just once it ends in disaster" you sighed defeatedly.

Sungmin quickly lifted your chin up with his gentle hand.

"Hey now...look at me ____-ah" he whispered softly.

You looked up at him with shameful eyes as he looked back at you lovingly. "You don't have to try to do special things for me to make me happy because just having you here with me is special enough. As long as you're here with me, I'm happy. Believe me you're not a burden but a gift, so don't ever feel that way okay?"

You felt your eyes becoming glossed with a fine layer of water as you absorbed Sungmin's words. You nodded your head in agreement as Sungmin held your hand soothing your thumb.
"Komowayo oppa, I love you."
“I love you too Jagi.” Sungmin kissed you on the forehead before walking towards the stove with your hand in his. “Wow you made all this?” Sungmin inquired with astonished eyes as the indulgent aroma of ramen tickled his nostrils.

“Yeah, but don’t expect it to be anywhere near as flavorful as your own cooking!” you joked.

Sungmin laughed and lightly tugged on your hand.

"Oh stop...I'm sure it's perfect!" Sungmin asserted while you begin to transfer the ramen into two matching china bowls and set them on the dining table. 

Sungmin then sat down with his glimmering eyes fixed on you as you proceeded to walk back towards the kitchen.

"Aren't you going to eat with me?" Sungmin pouted.
"Of course I am! I just forgot to wash the pot on the stove...I'll be right back."

Sungmin suddenly jumped out of his chair and chased after you. He snatched on to your shoulders and turned you around to face him.

"Oh no you don't, not with that burnt finger of yours" Sungmin said as he guided you back to the table and sat you down.
"You're not going to let me in the kitchen for a while now are you?" you laughed amusingly.
"Nope!" Sungmin answered delightedly. "Now you just stay right here and oppa will take care of it okay?"

Aigoo~ typical Sungmin, always worrying about others before himself...

He is absolutely perfect~

 


Hehehe~ I hope this captured the adorable sweet Sungmin that all us ELFs know and love <3 

And hey there you! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts... the comments box is looking for you ;)