Last Breath

In Your Smile

 

 

"Oh, I see doctor, thank you."

 

"Hey, did you hear that, you got to stay here for about a year." A nasal voice rang from somewhere around me. I opened my eyes to see my ugly foster mother and her stupid husband. They had masks of annoyance plastered onto their face; like it always was when others weren't around.

 

"I heard." I replied, closing my eyes again.

 

"I don't know why you have to be such a pain! My money, squandered down the drain..." The witch groaned. Why did you even adopt me if this was how you were going to treat me? Right. To show off to your non-existent friends. I hated her and I hated her husband, to the freaking core.

 

      "Get out then, if you don't want to see me." I glared at her.

 

      "That's not the way to talk to your mother, you ungrateful little wench." The woman growled. I scoffed and looked away.

 

      "You're not my mother." I mumbled.

 

       "Be grateful I'm paying for your stupid disease."

 

       "Look woman, if you didn't, you would be charged for cruelty. You don't have a choice." I snarled back at her.

 

      She gave me a sharp look and motioned for her ditzy husband to follow behind her. Almost like a loyal dog, he did as he was told.

 

      After they left, I sank back into the soft pillow and sighed. I closed my eyes, squeezing them hard shut. It was so intense that when I opened my eyes, my vision was blurry. I made a disgruntled sound and looked around the empty ward. There were about three beds on the other side, empty, and one beside me on the right. The table for the bed had been piled with books and a single daisy.  

 

      "Is someone supposed to be there?" I asked myself quietly. I didn't ponder over it very long since I was really exhausted from all the tests and sample collection. I quickly slid under the woolly covers and slept easily.

 

       ...

 

      "Hey...!" I heard a voice call me from somewhere distant. The calls got louder and nearer. "Hey hey hey! Are you okay? Hello?" I opened my eyes and I saw a handsome man in front of me.

 

      "You were calling out in your sleep. Are you okay?" He asked me, cocking his head to the side. I blinked a few times and realized that I was in the hospital.

 

      "Uh... Are you my doctor?" I asked, feeling groggy. My fingers rubbed my eyes and I realized that my face was stained with tears. I looked out the window and understood.

 

       It was a rainy day. Clouds grey, window spattered with years of the sky. My parents died on a rainy day and usually if it rained, my body would react badly. My counsellor used to say it was psychological.

 

       "You haven't answered me." The man frowned. "Are you okay? I can call the doctor."

 

      "I'm fine, I'm totally fine." I replied quickly. "I was just having a bad dream. Thanks for the concern." I mumbled.

 

      "Ah, by the way, I'm not a doctor. I'm your ward-mate, room-mate or cell buddy, whatever you want to call it." The brown haired stranger beamed at me.

 

      "Hi..." I said awkwardly, waiting for him to tell me his name.

 

       "Joon Myun." He smiled happily at me. "Su Ho's fine too." I nodded slightly and he smiled again. He seemed nice, and handsome to boot.

 

      "Nice to meet you," He greeted me once I told him my name. From then on, we somehow managed to have a decent conversation that lasted about half an hour.

 

      "What're you in here for?" He asked casually. I explained to him and got pretty worked up about it too. I mean, I'm a dancer! If I couldn't dance, I'd be a failure. It was the only thing that made me happy in this hell hole of a world.

 

      "I'm sure you'll be a great dancer." He said smiling that beautiful smile again. Suho's dark hair fell near his eyelids and he flicked it to the side with a brush of his hand.

 

       "What about you, if you don't mind me asking?" I asked him. I stared at him for about half a minute before he told me.

 

       "Long-term thing." He chuckled. It sounded off but I couldn't help be attracted to his infectious smile. His smile could brighten anyone's day up.

 

      "If you need anything, well, I'll be right here if you need me." Su Ho pat me on the shoulder and retuned to his bed. He picked up a book and started to read.

 

       For a while, I stared at him, scrutinizing his features. An enviable jawline, tawny eyes, creamy yet pale skin... He could be a star for all I knew.

 

      I saw his eyes flicker towards me and they sort of brightened up.

 

     "Am I that handsome?" He asked, raising his eyebrows.

 

      "Oh- I um... Uh... Sorry." I blushed and looked away.

 

       "I was kidding, silly." Su Ho laughed, turning his torso to face me. "You look pretty when you're shy. Just that your hair's over your face... Not that it's ugly but showing your pretty face isn't a bad thing."

 

       "Um, thank you. I'm just... Not used to many people wanting to see my face." I admitted.

 

      "If you're going to be a dancer, people gotta remember you right?" He laughed heartily and I found myself slightly smiling. His bubbliness was really quite contagious.

 

      "Are you really happy?" I asked, just out of curiosity. "Being here?" Once again, I saw the flicker of pain in his eyes but he quickly disguised it with a smile.

 

      "Not really," He shook his head and we laughed. Both of us clicked in almost every aspect. Broken family and the illness was keeping him away from what he loved most - singing. I never asked about his illness because I didn't like the ice in his eyes whenever it was brought up.

 

       "Hey, I got you some ice cream! The nurse told me where to get it!" Su Ho bustle into the room while holding two strawberry ice lollies. I laughed and thanked him.  

 

      "Let's go to the garden and eat." He suggested. He helped me onto the wheelchair and wheeled me to the hospital's therapy garden. Many old men and women went there for walking rehabilitation.

 

      "Su Ho it's melting! Just give it." I said, whacking him on the shoulder.

 

      "Mehrong." He stuck his tongue out at me. I pouted and he laughed, handing me the melting stick of ice.

 

       "Its delicious." I said, gobbling down a big chunk of it. "Thanks Su Ho!"

 

       "You're welcome." Su Ho smiled, almost finishing his own lolly.

 

      We laughed and talked for a few hours. We did that for quite a long time. Every day for three weeks, we spent our time in the garden chatting.

 

      One day... "Are you her boyfriend?" An old lady asked Su Ho. Su Ho ruffled his hair and gave her an embarrassed nod. What?

 

      "So sweet, the two of you." The lady smiled and walked off.

 

       "You're my boyfriend?" I gave Su Ho a quizzical look.

 

      He remained silent for awhile then turned to me.

 

      "Look behind you!" He cried out with a surprised look. Startled, I turned behind. There was nothing but the same old flowers we saw every day.

 

      I turned back to Su Ho, ready to make sure he answered me when a pair of soft lips met with mine. My eyes widened but I didn't dislike the feeling.

 

       Su Ho pulled away and gave w the same embarrassed look he gave the ahjumma.

 

      "Sorry," He laughed. "I guess you don't feel the same way." In the laugh, it seemed he felt hurt. And I started to ache a little in my heart, knowing he was hurting.

 

       After a long time of thinking, I smiled at him.

 

      "Who says?"

 

     

 

      ***

 

       

 

       "Aish, eat a little less messy will you?" I chided Su Ho as he smeared vanilla ice cream all over his mouth. The cheeky guy demanded a kiss and I refused.

 

      His vanilla-coated lips pressed onto mine quickly and I blushed. My cheeks... Were comparable to tomatoes.

 

      "You're so pretty," Su Ho murmured, wiping the ice cream off my lips and his own.

 

      "Thank you," I replied, still blushing.

 

       "I'll miss you," He whispered, barely audible... But I caught it.

 

      "What?" I asked to clarify.

 

      "Nothing," He smiled and got up to wheel be back. I knew something was wrong. The next week more or less solidified my theory.

 

      The next morning as for the next two weeks, Su Ho couldn't even speak and he looked so pallid. I would sit beside him and sing a few of his favourite songs for him. He would run his fingers through my hair and tuck my long fringe behind my ears.

 

       At night, he would help me over back to my bed and tuck me in. Su Ho would always mouth "Love you.".

 

       One night, I woke up from my light sleep. The doctors were checking on Su Ho but he was asleep.

 

      "It's a helpless case." The male doctor said.

 

      "There must be some sort of hope for him. It's not fair like this." The female protested.

 

      "It can't be helped. Life was never fair. It's sad for me too."

 

       "The poor boy... Just two weeks more." The woman put her hand to her chest.

 

     

 

      ***

 

       The next morning, I confronted Su Ho. I was boiling inside.

 

       "Why didn't you tell me? You promised to tell me everything!" I snapped. "Something do serious... You shouldn't keep it to yourself. Aren't you scared?"

 

      He thought over it for awhile, not looking at me, and wrote a few words on the paper.

 

      "I'm scared... Scared out of my wits. But what can I do? I promised myself I would smile... Until I leave." He said.

 

      "You should have told me..." I protested, tears b.

 

       "I didn't tell you because you'd be hurting. It was a mistake, too, to hurt you by being so close. But I'm sorry, I just want to be with you. Is that ok?" He wrote.

 

       "It's more than ok." I said, hugging him tightly. I felt lips on my hair and then my cheek. The years fell endlessly.

 

     

 

      It was a sunny day, when Su Ho left. The heavens seemed to be welcoming him. Who wouldn't? He was an angel. My angel.

 

      The chaos surrounded the bed beside me and even his mother could stare from afar. The pain unfolded like a piece of paper, growing in size.

 

       "I want to see her." A voice mumbled weakly when the chaos died down. I looked to Su Ho's mother and she looked away, as if already expecting this outcome. The hurt lingered in her frozen eyes though.

 

      "Su Ho..." I whispered. "JoonMyun... Don't. Don't leave like this. Not yet... Don't-" He stopped me with a kiss. The tears mixed with the kiss, adding the salty tang of pain.

 

      It was nearing midnight and I could almost feel Su Ho leaving. His mother was just silently sobbing at a corner, while my hand was clenched tightly in his own.

 

      "The doctors lied." He whispered hoarsely.

 

       "What?" I asked, my heart clenching at the weakness on his face.

 

       "It's 12:01. I lived longer than 2 weeks. Just... A minute longer." I burst out in tears again, and my breathing came out in gasps.

 

      "I wish I could stay longer. Just a little longer..." He stopped talking and he closed his eyes. A small smile graced his lips and a clear teardrop falling from his closed eyes.

 

      Su Ho, I wished you lived a little longer too. I miss you. Every day, every minute, every second. I love you.

 

     

 

       

 

      [A/N: Sniff. Sniff. Please continue to support me and my stories... Sniff. Request if you like. )): so sad after finishing this story. Love y'all, subscribe comment and enjoy! Xoxo]