A 'Good'bye

A 'Good'bye

 

“I love you” probably was the words Hyukjae said at most to Kyuhyun. And “I know” was always the only answer he got from Kyuhyun.

Hyukjae was always a cheerful and playful person so Kyuhyun rarely believed his words, especially “I love you”. As for Kyuhyun, those weren’t easy words to say, not when he didn’t really mean it. He and Hyukjae were just friends so he thought it wasn’t necessary to say those words.

---

“Hyukjae!” a woman called from her house’s front door when Hyukjae passed by.

Hyukjae turned. She was Kyuhyun’s mother. “Yes, Mrs. Cho?” Hyukjae asked.

“Would you please come for a moment? I want to talk with you.”

Hyukjae was hesitate at first, not knowing what she wanted to talk about. “Of course.”

They were on the back porch. After placing a plate of cookies and a glass of lemonade, Kyuhyun’s mother sat beside Hyukjae.

“Seems like you’re busy these days,” she started the conversation.

“I found a new job and it’s kind of more busy than the previous one,” Hyukjae replied.

“Ah I see,” she stopped for a moment. “It’s been a long time since you met Kyuhyun, right?” she asked.

“Yes, it is,” Hyukjae lowered his head. “Five years,” he mumbled more to himself.

It was already five years since Kyuhyun left Hyukjae with no words. Kyuhyun never talked about his plan to continue his study in Seoul, leaving Hyukjae in countryside. The moment Hyukjae knew that Kyuhyun left him was the worst moment in his life. They’re friends, bestfriends. How could Kyuhyun leave without even saying a word to him?

“So...would you come with us to Seoul next month?”

“Eh? What?”

“Kyuhyun will get married next month. I hope you would come with us. You know, maybe he want some accompany for his big day. You two are friends since childhood, I’m sure he would be glad if you come and accompany him. He’s being too serious sometimes, I’m afraid he’ll  get nervous. You’re the only one who can always cheer him up.”

Hyukjae’s mind stopped at the word “married” and he didn’t hear the rest of her words.

“Hyukjae?” she asked when she got no response from Hyukjae.

“Married?” Hyukjae mumbled, not wanting to believe what he heard just now.

“Yes, with a girl befriend with him when he was in college.”

“Kyuhyun will get married...”

“Hm. You would come with us, right?”

“I-,” Hyukjae stopped when he realized he stuttered. “Don’t you think I’ll disturb him? I mean-“

“Of course not! You’re his bestfriend, of course he would be happy if you come. Take it as a reunion after some years you didn’t meet each other.”

“But I-“

“Please, come with us.”

---

Hyukjae didn’t know that he would be that hurt when Kyuhyun left. Moreover, Kyuhyun didn’t say anything about him leaving before. Hyukjae then believed that Kyuhyun was avoiding him. Maybe Kyuhyun hated him because he said love to Kyuhyun too much that made Kyuhyun sick of him.

But Hyukjae said the truth. Hyukjae loved Kyuhyun. He meant it everytime he said it. Those weren’t playful words like what Kyuhyun believed.

Hyukjae laid on his bed and stared at the ceiling as his mind tried to understand the news he heard just now. Kyuhyun would get married next month. Married. He knew that something like this would come, but he hadn’t ready yet. Or he would never ever ready about this.

His mind told him not to come. Why would he come if he would only see the heartbreaking scene before him? That was stupid. But his heart told him to come. It would be the last time he saw Kyuhyun. He knew that he wasn’t strong enough to see Kyuhyun with a wife in the future. So the only chance he would see Kyuhyun again was at the wedding. He missed Kyuhyun so much, and he really wanted to meet him for the last time.

---

It was the third time Hyukjae checked himself from the reflection on the elevator’s door. He and Kyuhyun’s parents were now heading toward the floor where Kyuhyun’s apartement was. The elevator stopped in a certain floor and they walked out.

Hyukjae felt so nervous. It has been a long time since they met. How would Kyuhyuk looked like now? Would Kyuhyun be happy to meet him again? He kept questioning himself.

The apartement door opened, revealing a messy but happy Kyuhyun. He always woke up late, Hyukjae remembered how Kyuhyun alomost always made them late to school because he slept like dead.

“You come early,” Kyuhyun said as he opened the door wider to let them went inside.

“You’re the one who woke up late,” his mother hugged him.

Kyuhyun stopped breathing when he saw Hyukjae came with his parents. After some seconds of realizing it was really Hyukjae, Kyuhyun hugged him. “Hyukjae, you came!”

Hyukjae thought fast. It was obvious that Kyuhyun shocked for his coming. Maybe it was true that Kyuhyun leave to avoid him. But when he came with Kyuhyun’s parent, Kyuhyun choosed to act like it wasn’t the reason of him leaving.

“Of course I will, tomorrow is my bestfriend’s wedding after all,” Hyukjae smiled, decided to follow Kyuhyun’s friendly act.

“Yah, it’s been a long time. You can sleep in my room tonight, we can talk a lot. I miss you, you know.”

“I miss you too, Kyuhyun.”

---

Things went well for the rest of the day. They really took it as a reunion and act like there was nothing wrong between them. Well, there was really nothing wrong between them. It was just that Kyuhyun left with no words, that was just it. Not that they were quarreling or else. The only thing that went wrong was maybe Hyukjae’s feeling toward Kyuhyun.

Actually Kyuhyun felt some insecure. Would Hyukjae say those words again to him? If Hyukjae did, what would he say? The usual “I know” or the heartbreaking “You know I’m getting married tomorrow” ?

Hyukjae used to said it at least once a day before. But for Kyuhyun surprise, Hyukjae didn’t say it today. Not even once. Kyuhyun just shrugged it, thinking that maybe they were really grown up now and Hyukjae wasn’t serious before.

They laid side by side on Kyuhyun’s bed. Hyukjae hasn’t sleep yet when he felt Kyuhyun was moving here and there on the bed. It was obvious that Kyuhyun was trying hard to sleep.

“Can’t sleep, Kyuhyun?” Hyukjae asked, turning toward Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun just let out a long sigh.

“Are you feeling nervous?”

Kyuhyun turned toward Hyukjae so they were laid face to face. “I don’t know,” he replied with another sigh.

“Don’t be. Tomorrow will be the happiest day of your life,” Hyukjae smiled, a forced one.

Kyuhyun let out another sigh.

Hyukjae wanted to make his friend forget about his nervousness so he asked, “Tell me about her.”

“What?”

“We’ve been together for the whole day but you haven’t tell me a single thing about her.”

“Do you...really want to know?”

“Sure. I want to know which lucky girl for having you as her soon-to-be husband.”

“Well...she’s pretty, maybe the prettiest girl I’ve ever met. Smart. Came from a good family. Nice and well-mannered. Uh...what else-“

“Ah, so I guess you’rethe lucky one to have her, not her to have you.”

Kyuhyun punched Hyukjae’s arm lightly, “Yah, you’re the one who asked me to tell about her!”

Hyukjae chuckled, “Okay, okay. So how did the first time you meet her?”

Sure Hyukjae knew how to make Kyuhyun calm. With more question, Kyuhyun felt more relaxed and drift to sleep. But Hyukjae stayed awake. This was maybe the last day he could be with Kyuhyun freely. Tomorrow Kyuhyun would be someone else’s. He didn’t want the day to end.

“Kyuhyun, are you sleeping?” Hyukjae asked softly.

Kyuhyun didn’t reply so Hyukjae thought he was sleeping already.

“I know you won’t believe me even til I say it for the last time. This is the last chance I have. I love you, Kyuhyun.”

But Kyuhyun hasn’t sleep yet. He heard it, every single word clearly even when Hyukjae said it softly. He didn’t realise how much he missed those words from Hyukjae.

He already used to those words from Hyukjae when they were still teenagers. But he didn’t believe it. Or he just didn’t want to believe it.

---

“Come on, Kyuhyun!” his father said when Kyuhyun just stood beside the car in front of the wedding place.

“I...I will come later. I need some fresh air,” Kyuhyun said, his nervousness was clearly seen.

And with that Kyuhyun’s parent went inside the building.

“Still nervous, uh?” Hyukjae asked.

“I’m n-not.”

Hyukjae smiled. “Oh, let me fix your tie.”

Kyuhyun watched as Hyukjae carefully fixed his tie. He didn’t know if he should do this, but he missed those words from Hyukjae. He wanted to hear it, again and always.

“Done. The groom is ready now, let’s go!” Hyukjae exclaimed.

Kyuhyun grabbed Hyukjae’s hand and dragged him into the building. He walked fast along the corridor, forced Hyukjae to walk behind him.

“Wait Kyuhyun, where are we going?”

“Bride’s room.”

“Oh. What? Wait, are we allowed to go there? I don’t think-,” Hyukjae can’t finish his words when Kyuhyun stopped abruptly.

They stopped in front of a room. Kyuhyun hesitated before pushed the door open. Hyukjae gasped when he saw the reflection on the mirror. That was the bride, wearing a white beautiful dress and a veil. Their eyes met on the mirror. Pretty. That was the only thing that crossed on Hyukjae’s mind at that time.

She turned in surprise, “Kyuhyun? What are you-“

Kyuhyun turned his head to the side slightly. Hyukjae took that as a sign for him to leave, so he stepped back and closed the door.

“I need to talk to you,” Kyuhyun said, holding his breath.

“What is it?” she asked.

“I...I don’t think I can do this marriage.”

“What?! Are you crazy?!”

“I’m sorry. I really am sorry.”

They stared at each other’s eyes for some moment before she broke the silence. “Is it...is it because of him?” she looked at the closed door.

“What?” Kyuhyun pretended not to understand.

She sighed in frustation, “I shouldn’t ever ask you to marry me.”

“...”

“I should’ve know that you never love me.”

“It’s not that, I-“

“Do you know what are you doing? You’re embarassing me in our- ah, my wedding day! Are you even in the right state of mind?!”

“I’m sorry, but I know what I do.”

She turned to face the mirror again. “Then go. I know I’ll seem stupid for letting you cancelling this marriage, but I’ll be more stupid if I’m marrying a man who doesn’t love me.”

“What-“

“Go! Before I change my mind, just go!”

Kyuhyun saw how tears threatening to fall from her eyes, but he couldn’t stay, he wouldn’t. “I really am sorry. Thank you.”

Kyuhyun walked out and found Hyukjae stood against the wall with his head gazed up the ceiling. Hyukjae’s eyes were red, seems like he would cry in any minute. And Kyuhyun knew it was because of him, because of the wedding which Hyukjae didn’t know it has been cancelled.

“Wait, where are we going? The wedding-,” Hyukjae protested when Kyuhyun dragged him outside.

Kyuhyun didn’t say a thing until they reached the car. “Get in,” Kyuhyun commanded.

“What? No! The wedding-“

“Just get in!” Kyuhyun opened the door and shoved Hyukjae inside before he too get in the car from the other side.

After the two seated in the car, Hyukjae didn’t ask anything but kept looking at Kyuhyun intently, asking for an explanation.

“I’m not going to marry her,” Kyuhyun said.

“What? What happened? Did she reject you or- wait, but she already dressed so-“

“I love you!” Kyuhyun suddenly exclaimed.

Hyukjae blinked his eyes few times, processing Kyuhyun’s words. “No, you don’t,” he said doubtly.

“Yes, I do love you, Hyukjae.”

“...”

“You always said that words to me but I didn’t believe it. I never took it seriously because I didn’t want to believe that I feel the same toward you. Now, I’ll just give up and be true to us. I love you.”

“You’re kidding me. Come on Kyuhyun, it’s not funny. Let’s go!” Hyukjae was about to leave the car when suddenly Kyuhyun pulled him.

Still in shock, Hyukjae got a kiss on the lips from Kyuhyun. A soft but full of feelings one.

“I love you, okay? Now, believe me.”

Hyukjae froze for some moment before placed a smirk on his face, “It took years for me to make you believe me. And now you expect me to believe you in a second with just a small kiss on my lips?”

Now it was Kyuhyun turn to froze. But immediately melted when Hyukjae pulled him into another sweet kiss.

 

-end-

 

Sorry for not being able to express things well :( It was good in my imagination, but when I wrote it down, I just can't find the words to express it well. 

It's inspired by Super Junior - A 'Good'bye for the first half, but I turned it at the second half so it won't be angsty too much.

Maybe it's not good enough but I hope you still enjoy it. Thank you ^^ Comments are welcomed~

 

@Ami_SuJuElf : sorry but it's not chaptered :( i can't make any chaptered fics now...