Two

Music

 


Chapter 2

 


 

Do Samdong was busy cleaning his desk on the faculty room of Gangnam Performing Arts School on a hot sunny afternoon. While humming a song happily, he puts all of his things inside some cardboard boxes and stocked them on top of each other. Classes have ended and summer has come. Do Samdong just can’t wait to have his awaited month-long vacation.

 

Adjusting the sleeves of his button-down polo shirt, Teacher Do started carrying his two boxes and went out of the faculty room. On his way out, he met Teacher Park who greeted him.

 

“Packed already?” she asked.

“Yes. I better start my vacation soon. I bet the director will be calling on me once the new school yar nears.”

Teacher Park was about to say something but she was interrupted by another faculty member – Teacher Shin.

 

“And you’ve packed up because you know you’ll be kicked out soon right?” he teasingly asked.

 

Teacher Do did not reply and just stared at him, tightly clutching the edge of the box he was holding. ‘Thank God I have these boxes in my hand or else…’

 

“What do you mean he’ll be kicked out?” Teacher Park asked Teacher Shin.

 

Teacher Shin scoffed and unrolled a piece of paper in front of Teacher Park and Teacher Do.

“This is the result of the evaluation on Teacher Do made during the month just before classes end,” Teacher Shin said handing the paper to the other two teachers for them to have a better look. “And the results showed that, Teacher Do’s performance as one of the school’s music teachers is very low.”

 

Samdong looked at the piece of paper Teacher Shin handed them, scanning it for any errors or proof that the document is fake. But it was authenticated by the school director. Thus, what was everything on it and what everything the arrogant Teacher said was true or might come true.

 

“I don’t believe this.” Teacher Do said trying to stay calm despite the nervousness he was suddenly feeling.

Teacher Shin chuckled. “Come on, Samdong! The director even signed it himself!” he said and waved the paper in front of his face with mockery.

 

Samdong just shook his head and headed out of the faculty room before his fist could land on his co-worker’s face. He leaned on the door of the faculty room and sighed deeply.

“He’d give him another chance won’t he?” Samdong heard Teacher Park asked.

“Why? Because he is his brother? Wouldn’t that be unfair to others that were fired?” Teacher Shin argued. “Besides, he was already given another chance. If he gets fired, it was his fault for not using the second chance given to him.”

 

Samdong can’t help but get furious. He wanted to go back and give Teacher Shin the punch he deserves. But he also didn’t want to give the director another reason to fire him. Instead, he just went on his way.

And even though he hates Teacher Shin for saying those things about him, he admits to himself that he is guilty. For what he had said is partly true. Maybe, just maybe, Samdong hadn’t really used rightly the other chance the director had given him.

 

Shaking his head, Samdong cheers himself up by telling himself that he won’t get fired. He turned a corner but went back and looked opposite the hallway he was going. At its end was the director’s office. He decided that he’d passed by the director’s office to let him know that he’ll be having his vacation already.

 

Samdong approached the office and placed his boxes near a wall beside the door. He stared at the director’s office door reading the hangul label on its wooden door. He exhaled deeply and readied his fist to knock when he heard the director talking to who seems to be the school principal – Principal Lee.

 

“I really think it should be about time we fire him, Mr. Director,” Principal Lee said.

 

 Samdong got more nervous when he heard the word “fire” and the instant he heard it, he leaned closer to the door to listen. Eavesdropping is bad manners but then, when somebody’s talking about, you can’t help but listen to their conversation.

 

“But looking at the results, he had a higher evaluation rate this year compared to his last year’s evaluation rate,” the director said.

Principal Lee continued to argue. “Nevertheless director, the result is still low. We can’t have our school have low performing music teachers.” He took the evaluation results from the director. “We’re one of the best performing arts school, director. And we want to have high quality teachers as much as we want to have the best students.”

 

The school director took a long time to respond.

“Giving Teacher Do another chance won’t hurt,” he finally said and gave the principal a smile.

Principal Lee sighed deeply, disappointed at the director’s reply.

“Okay, director. I respect your decision. And I hope you’re not deciding on this because he’s your brother.”

“No, no, no, of course not.”

“Then I respect the decision you have made,” Principal Lee said and turned the knob to open the door.

 

Samdong heard the door knob clicked and step backwards so that he will not be caught eavesdropping.

 

“But it’s still early to make a decision, director. I mean, you still got two-“

 

Both the principal and the director stopped and looked at Samdong who was standing by the doorway carrying his cardboard boxes.

 

“Teacher Do!” the director exclaimed. Samdong gave them both a bow and greeted a good afternoon “How long have you been here?”

“I actually, uh, just arrived,” Samdong lied.

 

The director looked convinced but the principal eyed him suspiciously making Samdong swallowed hard. Principal Lee exhaled deeply before bidding the director goodbye. “Two months is still a long to rethink and change your decision. I hope you think about it again given the circumstances I have said. I’ll be going now then.” He gave the director a bow and went on his way.

 

Samdong and the director watched Principal Lee go and turned a corner until he disappeared from their sight.

“You have heard everything right?” The director said breaking the silence between him and Samdong.

 

Samdong looked at him and pouted. To the director’s surprise, Samdong tugged his polo shirt and started whining. “Soohan-hyung! You won’t fire me right? You won’t right? You know how important this job is to me. Please don’t kick me out! Soohan-hyung…”

 

Director Soohan removed his younger brother’s hand from his polo. “Don’t worry. I am more than willing to give you another chance,” he said and gave him a reassuring smile.

“Really? I love you Soohan-hyung!” Samdong exclaimed and engulfed his brother in a tight hug.

 

“There is one condition though for you to be able to stay here.”

 

Samdong released his brother and gave him a confused look. He listened intently as Director Soohan explains how he will be able to stay in the academy.

 

“W-What? B-but that sounds impossible!”

 

Director Soohan chuckled. “You love your work right?” Samdong nodded. “Then do it so you can stay. Do it for the work you love.” The director placed his hands on the teacher’s shoulders giving it a gentle and encouraging squeeze. “I believe in you Samdong. I know you can do it.”

 

Director Soohan gave Samdong a last pat on his shoulders and left him. Samdong stood by the director’s office doorway staring at the shiny marble floor. He stood there dumfounded his mind full of thoughts about the condition given to him. But above all, there’s one question lingering in his mind at that very moment.

 

Will he be able to do it? 


 

[A/N]

Hello I updated! To those who subscribed, thank you very much! <3

Two new characters have been introduced in this chapter Teacher Do and 

School Director Soohan :3 What do you think will be their role eh? 

Anyway, I will be introducing the female protagonist in the next chapter 

so please wait for it :) Don't forget to comment and if you haven't subscribe yet

then please do:3 I appreciate it a lot :)