Chapter Twenty Two

Haenyeo

After they left the shopping mall, they rode for a while, weaving through afternoon traffic as they explored the endless maze of city streets. 

She wished they could keep going forever. 

Now that Haenyeo was used to the motorcycle, she liked the sting of the wind against her skin and the broad warmth of Seung-Bae’s back. She felt like she was in a bubble with him; while they stayed there, perched on the thrumming machine, nothing could break in and touch them.

It was new, this wanting to just hover endlessly within the present moment. She was afraid to dwell on it too much, so she didn’t. She just breathed.

But eventually, he broke the spell, stopping in front of a building where he led her inside a street level shop.  A tiny brass bell rang as they stepped through the glass entry and into the rich aroma of brewing coffee.

She’d taken two steps inside when she saw them.  They were everywhere – lounging on counters, ambling under tables, yawning disinterestedly in the middle of the open expanse of polished concrete floor.  They came in all different colors, from dusty grey to patchy fusions of orangey brown and black.  Some stared at her with startled expressions, muscles tensed, while others cocked their heads and let out questioning mewls. 

“This is a cat café,” Seung-Bae explained.  “Aren’t they cute?  It’s so hot out, I thought you’d like to come in and get a cold drink.” He knelt down to scratch the head of a brave tabby that had ventured closer to get a better whiff of the newcomers.

            Seung-Bae seated her at a table near a window overlooking the busy street.  “I’m going to go and place our order.  I’ll be right back.”

He settled the backpack that bulged with their purchases on one of the chairs, then gave her a reassuring smile before heading off.

She watched him.

Without her to slow him, his strides became longer. He moved with an easy, languid grace, leaning forward to rest his elbows on the café’s counter as he inspected the overhead menu. When he asked a question, the young woman on the other side giggled and cupped her palm over her blushing smile. He wasn’t flirting, but he exuded a quiet beauty that was charming.  And disarming.

She was making progress with him.  She could see it in his expressions, building throughout the course of the day.  He was opening up to her, falling for her. But the depth of it was troubling.  This time, it wasn’t simply the physical attraction that she was used to seeing in the males she bonded with. She sensed something else, something poignant and intense. On the exterior, Seung-Bae was reserved.  But beneath the reticent gaze of his eyes, she saw the potential for fiery emotion swirling, held back as if he was being cautious.  As if he was waiting for something. She wondered if he even knew what it was.

She slid her hands over the linen pleats of her dress. Her fingertips grazed the pale-yellow flowers embroidered along the hem. The cloth felt cool and clean against her skin.  It was less comfortable than the pants and t-shirts had been, but more fitting, prettier.  She turned towards the window.  Her reflection blinked back at her, crisp and still without the ocean’s eternal movement to distort it. She looked flawless; red waves spilling onto white, seductive beauty.

Closing her eyes, she counted.  It was the third day since bonding herself to Seung-Bae, and her body was suffering from the strain. She could feel the magic churning within her, the need pressing outward from inside, trying to take control.  It coalesced within her stomach, evolving into a true hunger, demanding food to keep it appeased until it could be satiated properly. As if on cue, her stomach rumbled.

Something soft and warm caressed her bare calve.  She looked down to find the brave tabby cat gazing up at her.  He gave her a lazy wink then continued with his rubbing.