Clouds and Coffee

Over Coffee

Hey guys! I didn't know if I wanted to write a sequel to this or not, so I went with writing the oneshot from Jay's perspective. Hope it's alright~ ^^ Leave a comment to let me know how it is.

 

In Seattle, the sky turns a gloomy shade of grey whenever it’s about to rain.

Today, I looked up at the sky and saw it.

The usual sea of bright blue was tinged with the solemn color, and was accompanied by a few puffy rain clouds.

Sighing, I stood at the intersection, waiting for the light to give me the okay to cross.

The hood of my blue jacket was pulled up because I didn’t bother to do anything to my hair.

Shades covered my eyes because I knew I had dark circles under them.

I didn’t sleep at all last night. I didn’t have the desire to go out constantly.

The only times I would go out would be whenever I have dance practice with my crew.

I think my mom finally became frustrated with the way I had been acting.

Maybe not frustrated, but sad.

So, she finally pushed me out, saying she wanted Starbucks.

We have coffee at home, so I know it was only an excuse for me to get some air.

To my misfortune, it started raining. And I can already tell that Starbucks was crowded.

There’s a Starbucks on ever street corner of Seattle, yet everyone chooses to go to this one.

A bell rang as I ducked inside. I proceeded to the counter, standing in line behind a girl with a laptop bag.

There was something about her that made me pay attention.

Something that made me listen to her order. To her name.

She went to go sit down. I quickly ordered a cup of coffee, and nabbed a table that was a little distance away from hers.

I couldn’t put my finger on it.

A few moments passed. Then, she pulled her laptop out.

My heart sank.

There was a decal. With red letters.

THE HOTTEST TIME OF THE DAY IS 2PM

A knot formed in my throat. My stomach churned.

Did she know? Had she read the announcement?

Almost suddenly, she slapped her hand over . Tears fell from her eyes.

No. I whispered to myself, grimly.

I didn’t know what to do. But…I couldn’t just leave her.

Not when I knew I was the reason for her sadness.

“Vanilla bean frappuccino with caramel for ______.”

I turned to the counter. It was hers.

“______?” The barista called out again.

I looked back to her. She was sitting there, crying.

My breathing slowed. I clenched my fists.

Before I fully registered what I was doing, I went to the counter, grabbed her drink, and went to her table.

“Excuse me,” I spoke politely, “Can I sit here?”

She raised her head, only to nod, and to wipe her face as quickly as she could.

As I took the chair in front of her, I pushed the frap in her direction.

“They said your name, but I guess you didn’t hear them.” I did my best to smile.

Her eyes only looked at me blankly. Then at my pink shirt.

Was I too obvious?

“Are you okay?” I asked her hesitatingly, not wanting to make the situation worse.

A few seconds. “I’m okay.”

 She’s lying. And it hurt to know exactly why.

I wanted to fix things. But I was even more cautious about asking the next thing that popped into my head.

“You’re a Hottest?” I looked at her laptop, my eyes stuck to the red-lettered decal.

“Yeah.” She replied.

“Who’s your favorite?” Dangerous waters. I hope she won’t start crying again.

Though this time she looked at me funny, but didn’t stutter at all upon answering.

“Park Jaebum.”

I only half-smiled now. This was the first time I have ever seen the consequences of my actions so close.

If there’s one thing a guy should never do, it’s to make a girl cry. And I’ve already done that to a pretty girl that just so happens to be my fan.

“Is there something wrong with that?” Her gaze never left me.

I shook my head, glad I had my glasses on. “No. Not at all.”

Silence ensued after that. It wasn’t awkward, more like, silent and peaceful. I sat there looking outside, while she sipped her drink.

Then, her voice again. “What’s your name?”

A smirk crept onto my lips as I looked at her through my shades.

“You already know it.”

She must think I’m crazy.

Then, an idea. I knew what to do to make this better.

“You dance?”

“Yeah…I do.” I could tell she was annoyed now.

Pulling a napkin from the holder, I took a pen from my pocket and began writing. The words came quickly; I didn’t have to think much because they came fluidly, naturally almost.

Then, a few minutes later, I was done.

“This is for you. I have to go now.”

I forced myself to stand up and walk away without looking back. I exited the store, moving as quickly as I could.

As I did, I laughed. She must've thought I was a creeper.

But once I was across the street, I could see through the window.

She was crying again.

But this time, I could tell she was happy.