Question and Answer

Muses: A Prompt Collection

 

001 What skill or talent would you like to learn if you had all the time and resources you would ever need?

002 What do you do to fall asleep?

003 What thing would you like to try but are afraid to?

004 If at the snap of your fingers any one of the world's problems would be solved, which problem would you choose?

005 What machine or household appliance can most represent you?

006 If you were a color, what would you be?

007 What surprise would you like to receive at least once in your life?

008 What's the most important sound to you?

009 What is the current theme song for your life?

010 By some twist of fate, you have no choice but to be a professional sports player of the rest of your life, what sport would you choose to play?

011 For you, what is the most important thing in life that money cannot buy?

012 What are your top three fears?

013 How will you describe yourself at age 90?

014 What or who makes you smile?

015 What do you often dream about?

016 What is the best advice you ever got?

017 If you were invisible, what would you like to hear people say about you?

018 If you could write out the rest of your life and it would come true, what would happen this year?

019 If you could spend parts of the year in another city, what city would it be?

020 If you were an emotion, what would you be?

 

 


 

 

General suggestion: Use possible answers to the questions to inspire your story

 

Example 01 (Prompt used: What do you often dream about?)

Character 1 always gets a certain kind of dream over and over again. The dream can mean something that will affect his or her future or can be about a memory he or she wants to forget. How Character 1 deals with the dream and its implications can be the main conflict of your story or a sources of the main conflict

 

Example 02 (Prompt used: What is the current theme song of your life?)

If you'll use this prompt, you can turn your story into a songfic using that certain theme song of you choice. Another option is a story about Character 1, a songwriter or composer, who is currently writing a song based on either her or her life or the life of someone Character 1 knows well.

 

Example 03 (Prompt used: If you were invisible, what would you like to hear people say about you?)

You can take this question literally by writing a story about how Character 1 suddenly turns invisible for whatever reason and overhears people talking about him or her. You can take it figuratively by writing a story about how Character 1 deals with overhearing a bunch of people talking about him or her. Another option you can take is a story about Character 1, now a soul, returning to the world to visit the loved ones he or she left behind.