Secret Love (Yongguk, Himchan, and Ji Eun)

Secret Love (One-shot)

 

 

I know it ain't easy for the two of us, but you know what? What's up? Sometimes I just don't care what people say…Things are goin' crazy all the time, you know? I got no choice, let me just do this for love…

***

I was running very fast, hoping to get to our classroom in time that I wasn’t able to pay any attention to anyone around. I ran and ran and ran, until…

*crash*

I came back to my senses and found myself staring at a girl who was sitting on the floor.

“Mianhe…” I said, not knowing what to do because she seemed to be in pain, “Miss, are you okay?”

She looked up at me and smiled, “Yeah, I’m fine.”

I sighed, feeling relieved then I offered her my hand, “Let me help you get up.”

Again, she smiled, “Thank you.”

She took my hand and got up. As she was wiping her skirt, I bowed, “I’m really sorry, but I have to go now.”

“It’s fine, you may go.” She said.

I ran again, but someone stopped me from my tracks as I was about to enter the room.

“Yah, why are you so excited?” That’s my friend Himchan.

“Bro, please, get out of the way, I’m late… And hey, what are you still doing standing there? Shouldn’t you be on your seat by now?” I asked, getting confused.

“Calm down, calm down. Don’t you remember? Mr. Yang is absent today.”

“When did he say that?” I asked.

“Aish! I thought you were the diligent student here?” He said while scratching his head.

I hit his head, “Shut up!” Then I went inside the room and sat on my seat.

Himchan followed me and dragged a chair to sit beside me. I ignored him and just looked out the window with my arms crossed on my chest.

“Hey,” He said in a teasing manner, “What were you doing back there with Ms. Ji Eun?”

Because I was getting irritated with him, I faced him and asked furiously, “With who?”

He raised his two hands as if to surrender, “No need to get all angry, I was just asking.”

“Then ask properly.”

“Why are you being like that to me? I’m your friend? If you would only consider, I’m your best friend as well. Wasn’t I your first friend here? I’m so hurt.” Himchan then slapped his forehead with his hand like a very problematic person.

I kicked his chair lightly, “Shut up man! You’re making me more irritated.”

He laughed.

My name is Bang Yong Guk by the way. I’m a transferee here at Seoul Academy and this guy right here, is Kim Him Chan. He was my seatmate from the first day of school and yeah, he was my first friend here.

“Lost in your thoughts again eh? Bet you’re dreaming of Ms. Ji Eun.” Himchan said, getting me back to reality.

“What? Will you please just stop that nonsense with Ms. Whoever-she-is.”

“But don’t you even think she’s pretty?”

“Okay! Fine! Who are we talking about here?”

“I just said it, Ji Eun.” There was silence for a while, and then he continued, “Wait, don’t tell me you don’t know who she is?”

“Uhm, I don’t. Why should I?”

He laughed, “You’ve been studying here for two months and you still don’t know her? Do teachers lock you up in rooms?”

I hit his head with a book.

“Ouch man! Stop hitting me!” He said as he massaged the part I hit.

“I will if you stop making fun of me.” I said.

“I’m not making fun of you, you’re just naturally funny.”

I lift the book up again and threatened, “Want another one.”

Himchan quickly shielded his head, “No, no, I’m fine.”

I put the book down on my table, “So who is this Ji Eun that you’re talking about?”

“She’s the one you were talking to before you went here.”

I looked at him, “Oh, so that’s her.”

“Why were you talking to her anyway?”

“I just bumped into her.”

Himchan just nodded.

“What? Aren’t you going to tell me more about her?” I asked.

“Oh, so you want to know her well?” Himchan said, again, teasing.

“It’s not that, I’m just bored.” I said as I turned to face the window to hide my face.

“Well, she’s that awfully rich girl…” He began, but I cut him off.

“Wait, wait, wait, why awfully?”

“Cause her situation is awful.” He said plainly.

I was confused, “Why?”

“Cause she’s going to be married.”

“What’s so awful about that?”

“It’s an arrrangggged marriage.”

“Oh…” That was all I can say.

“What’s even more awful is that she doesn’t love the guy.”

“Why does she have to marry this guy then?”

“I think it’s something about business stuff, not sure though.” He said uninterested.

“And how do you know all this?” I asked.

“Everyone does,” He said as if it’s supposed to be a general knowledge, “well, except for you, I guess.”

“What did you say?”

“Nothing.” He smiled.

I looked out of the window again and thought of Ji Eun. I pity her for her situation, but it happens. She’s actually lucky to be able to have plenty, she should be thankful for that at least. Hmm… now that I think about it, she is really pretty.

The following day, lunch time at school, while Himchan and I were eating, he spotted Ji Eun.

“She seemed to be having trouble finding a seat.” He said.

I rolled my eyes. As if he’s really worried. I thought.

He looked at me and smiled. I gave him a questioning look, but when I realized what he was about to do, I bent my head down and whispered, “Stop it Himchan. Stop. Stop. Stop.”

But, yeah, he ignored. He called out, “Ji Eun! Have a seat with us!”

I sighed. I heard her approaching behind me.

“Is it okay with you guys?” She asked nicely.

“Of course! Right Yongguk?” Himchan said.

I looked fiercely at Himchan. You’re dead after this. Then, I quickly turned to Ji Eun and smiled, “Of course!”

“Gomawo!” She said cheerfully then sat beside Himchan.

“You remember her from yesterday, right?” Himchan asked. I nodded.

“She’s Song Ji Eun.” He introduced then Ji Eun held her hand out, “And he’s Bang Yong Guk.”

We shook each other’s hands and said, “It’s nice to meet you.”

“So, how did you two knew each other?” I asked, getting into the mood.

“If you’ve been studying here for a long time, It’s hard not to know Ms. Ji Eun as she’s very popular.” Himchan said.

Ji Eun laughed, “But you are too!”

As I watched the two of them talk, I had a thought… Could it be that Himchan actually likes Ji Eun? I laughed to myself. Yeah, maybe.

After school, as Himchan and I were going down the stairs, I punched his shoulder.

“Yah! What was that for? What did I do now?” He asked.

“You, why didn’t you tell me?” I asked, teasing.

“Tell you what?” He asked sounding confused.

“That you like her?”

He sighed and stopped walking, “Hey, bro, if this is your way of getting back at me after what I did to you at lunch time… It’s definitely not working.”

He began walking again, leaving me standing there. I thought he was about to confess.

I ran and followed him, “Why don’t you just admit it already?”

He ignored me so I kept on teasing him as we walked.

“Yongguk! Will you stop it! I’m not used to you being like this. You’re creeping me out.”

“Himchan likes Ji Eun! Himchan likes Ji Eun!” I sang.

Himchan quickly covered my mouth with his hand and said in a serious tone, “Stop it.”

When he released me, I laughed, “Scared that the whole school might find out?”

“No. I’m scared that the whole school might believe your nonsense.” He said, again, seriously.

“So what?”

He sighed, “You really don’t know anything, do you? They said that her husband-to-be is also studying here at our school. Just imagine how a racket it would be if that rumor of yours spread.”

“Oh, but I thought…” I said, feeling guilty.

“I don’t like her. I invited her to the table with hopes that you would talk to her, but you didn’t. So I entertained her instead.”

“Fine. Fine. No need to explain yourself, it makes you seem defensive.”

“Cut it out already!” He shouted, irritated.

I laughed.

***

During weekends, I worked at a music store owned by my uncle. As I was cleaning the shelves where the cds were placed, I saw Ji Eun browsing at some of the cds.

“Ji Eun!” I called.

She looked at me and waved, “Hi!”

I went to her, “What are you looking for?”

“I was looking for Secret’s album.”

I scanned the cds on the rack and looked for it.

“Do you work here?” She asked.

I nodded, “On weekends.”

She nodded.

“Oh, here it is!” I said, holding the cd.

“Thank you.” She said.

As she was about to leave, I just found myself saying this, “J-Ji Eun, would you like me to recommend some good artists to you?”

She seemed surprised, but then she said, “Sure! I would love that.”

The two of us went back to the cd racks again.

I picked out a cd and handed it to her, “Here, that’s BAP.”

She looked at the cd case back and forth, “Hmm, I haven’t heard of them.”

“That’s because they’re new, but trust me, when you listen to them, you wouldn’t believe that they are rookies.”

I guided her to a booth where the customers are free to watch and listen to the cds. I inserted the cd and gave her the headphones. As I watched her listen to it, I become mesmerized by her looks.

“What?” She asked.

It was only until she spoke that I realized that I was smiling while staring at her.

“Nothing. Did you like it?”

She nodded, smiling, “I’m really not into hip hop groups, but I guess I’ll give an exemption to them.”

“That’s great then!”

And, it all started there. No, maybe it has already begun way back when I bumped her, I just didn’t accept it because of Himchan’s constant teasing. Or, could this be a product of his teasing? Aish! Whichever way… I’m doomed.

***

At school, Himchan and I were talking in our classroom.

“So what’s wrong about that?” He asked.

“What’s wrong is that she’s going to get married. I thought you knew that?” I reasoned.

“Yeah, but she’s going to get married, she’s not yet married. It’s in the future tense man, study your grammar.”

“I know that but…” I think for a while, “Are you implying that I still court her even if I know the situation?”

He nodded, “Uhuhm.”

I sighed.

He moved his chair closer to mine, “So, how did the two of you become close with each other?”

I told him how I met her at the music store and how we have constantly seen each other during weekend after that.

“We mostly just talked about music, but I got to know her better because of that.” I said.

“So, what are you planning to do now? Are you going to confess? Ask her out and confess? What?”

“I don’t know.”

“Aish! For a guy who’s as good looking as you, you certainly don’t know how to get women.” He said as he rested his back on his chair.

“If you’re so good then tell me what to do?” I asked.

He peered closer to me as if he would be telling me a huge secret, “Steal her.”

***

Even though Himchan’s idea is as stupid as he is, I just found myself obeying it.

I flashed back and remembered what he said: Steal her. Ask her out and if she agrees then you have a chance. You tell her how you feel and if she says that she feels the same then go get her! Who cares about the guy she’s going to marry?

Yeah, here I am, waiting for Ji Eun. She told me to wait for her outside the mall. As I was pacing back and forth in front of the entrance of the mall, a car stopped. Ji Eun came out and I was delighted to see her.

“Sorry I’m late.” She said.

“It’s okay. Shall we go inside?” I asked. She nodded.

We went to eat first at a restaurant. Afterwards, we decided to watch a movie.

“The Dark Knight Rises is already showing, would you like to watch that?” I said as I was looking at the list of movies, but when she did not respond, I looked at her and saw her looking around.

“What’s the matter?” I asked.

“Nothing,” She looked at the list, “Oh, The Dark Knight Rises is showing, let’s watch that.” Then she immediately went to the ticket booth.

Didn’t I just say that? I thought.

I went to her, “I’ll buy the tickets.”

“No, it’s okay, you paid for our dinner, so this ones on me.” She smiled.

After buying popcorn and drinks, we went to inside the cinema and found ourselves a seat.

While we were watching, I always took the time to glance at her.

“She’s pretty right?” I said, trying to start a conversation.

“Catwoman?”

I nodded.

“She is, but you know, you shouldn’t be saying stuff like that to a girl, especially on a first date. She might feel insecure.” She said.

“I-I wasn’t…” I tried to reason out but she stopped me.

“I was just joking.” She laughed.

I smiled and scratched my head thinking how silly I was.

“He’s handsome, right?” She asked.

“Who? Batman?”

“No. Blake. Gordon-Levitt in real life.” She said.

“Oh… He is, but you know, you shouldn’t be saying stuff like that to a guy, especially on a first date. He might feel insecure.” I teased.

“Well, you should, it’s Levitt were talking about.” She laughed.

“Hey, you should comfort me, I was feeling insecure here.” I said then she laughed again.

After watching, I asked her if we could walk for a while and she agreed.

“I don’t know if you’ve noticed it… You probably know it already…” I began, “I like you Ji Eun.”

She stopped walking, I stopped too. She looked up at the sky and sighed then she looked back down.

“I don’t know if you’ve noticed it too… but I’ve liked you before we even bumped to each other.”

“You have?” I was surprised.

She nodded, “But I’m arranged to be married.”

“I-I know…” I said.

“Why did you even ask me out?” She asked, forcing a smile.

“I was hoping that you’d feel the same for me.”

“Now that you know how I feel, what do you plan to do now?”

“I… I really don’t know.” I said as I bent my head low.

“That’s alright, I still thank you.”

“For what?”

“You know, I have always wanted to meet someone and fall in love, with the hopes that he would take me out of the situation I am in and free me, but I guess it’s too selfish that’s why life doesn’t grant it.”

Before I could even speak, a car arrived. The driver went out and said, “Ma’am, the boss wants you home immediately.”

She looked down and sighed. I didn’t know what to do, but then she looked up at me, smiling, “I had a great time, thank you.”

“Good night.” And at that, they left.

***

The following week, at school, Ji Eun didn’t go to school. Himchan was absent too. After dismissal, as I was on my way home, a car stopped in front of me. The driver came out and opened the door, “Get in.”

I hesitated at first but went in anyway. When I got inside, an man who seemed to be in his 40’s was sitting next to me.

“Are you Bang Yong Guk?” He asked with his husky voice.

“Yes sir.” I said.

He handed me an envelope. I opened it and saw pictures of me and Ji Eun on our date.

“That girl is my daughter, I don’t know if you know it already, but she’s going to get married soon. I don’t want you to ruin her life. I want you to leave her alone. Get out of her life!”

I scoffed, “With all due respect sir, I like you daughter. No, I love your daughter and I have genuine feelings for her. She told me that she feels the same for me, but you, you want her to get married to someone she doesn’t even love and now you’re talking to me about ruining her life?” I sneered, “Or, wait, maybe, you don’t know the meaning of love? Look at you, you’re old, but you don’t seem to be happy. Isn’t it time you ask yourself what you’re lacking?”

And then, he slapped me, “I don’t ever want you to come near my daughter, understood?”

I smirked then I went out of the car.

Rich people. They always think they can have things their way.

***

And the challenges started. Ji Eun and I still went to see each other, but it was always in secret. The time we spend together would always be limited. I can’t even text her without looking around first.

We decided to meet at the music store one weekend. When she came in, I recognized her immediately because of her hat that was pushed down. We went to the booth where we listened to music.

“Why the sudden meeting?” I asked.

“Father found out that we’re still seeing each other.” Her voice quivered.

“And?”

“He said he’ll lock me up at home if I continue.”

I sighed.

“But I don’t care if I get locked up at home,” She started to cry, “I-I… I love you.”

I looked into her eyes. I took of the hat she was wearing and wiped her tears, “I love you too.”

Suddenly, a group of guys came inside the booth and pulled both of us out. Ji Eun and I held onto each other, but two huge guys broke us apart.

“Let go of me!” I shouted and got rid of the guy’s grip. I ran to Ji Eun and kissed her then the guy pulled her.

“Wait for me Ji Eun…” I whispered.

***

Himchan said that he has been sick, so I decided to go to his house. When I got there, I was surprised to see that he seemed to be feeling well.

“Y-Yongguk…” He said, surprised.

“You told me you were sick.” I said, feeling a bit pissed off.

“I-I’m sorry.” He said as he lowered his head.

“You know I don’t like being lied to.” I said in a serious tone.

“I wasn’t lying when I told you I was sick…”

“What? But you look awfully healthy to me.”

“You have always seen me smiling, laughing and playing around, but deep inside I’m hurting…” He said, “I’m sick of seeing and hearing about you and Ji Eun.”

I scoffed, “What’s wrong with you man? I thought you didn’t like and that you wanted us to be together? You are really sick!”

“Am I to be blamed when I only wanted her happy?”

“Himchan, you’re confusing me.”

“Then let me tell you this, I’m the guy that Ji Eun was arranged to be married.”

I was shocked. My mouth dropped open and I was unable to utter a single word. I wanted to leave, I don’t know what to think, say or do, I just wanted to escape from there.

I turned and was about to go, but Himchan stopped me. He took me by the arm and said, “Please, let’s talk.”

We both went inside his house. I observed. He seemed to be living alone.

“You own this?” I asked while looking around.

“Yeah.” He said then we both sat down, facing each other.

“Would you like something to dri…” He began.

“No, just explain already.” I said.

“Before I do, please don’t think badly of me.” He said sadly.

“I already do, so explain yourself quickly that I might change my mind.”

“Well, we became friends right? And, I found out that Ji Eun likes you. As you see, even though Ji Eun is not in love with me, we’re still friends.”

“So, you do like her too.” I asked.

It took him some time before he responded, “Yes, I do.”

I laughed.

“Why are you laughing?”

“Are you playing with me? Why did you even wanted me to pursue her in the first place if you liked her, and here you are now, locking yourself here because you feel sick seeing Ji Eun and me together!”

“I wanted her to be happy… Is that so wrong?” He said.

I crossed my hands and put it at the back of my head as I looked down.

“I’m really sorry.”

Still facing the floor, I asked, “What should I do now Himchan? You have always told me what to do…”

“I told you, steal her.” He said plainly.

I looked up at him, “Let’s be serious now, please.”

“I am.”

“Then how do you expect me to do that? How can I steal her from someone who loves her?” My voice was a bit high.

“She’s not… with someone who loves her. Remember her father?”

This guy… really? Aish!

“Will you help me?” I asked, getting up from my seat.

He stood up, “I always have.”

***

Himchan asked Ji Eun out on a date, but little did her father know, I was the one she would be meeting that day.

She went down from the car and looked for Himchan, but when she couldn’t find him, she went inside the restaurant they were supposed to eat at. When she went in, I took her arm and led her to the hallway of the comfort rooms. I was wearing a hat that was lowered to my face so that no one could easily identify me.

“What are you doing here?” Ji Eun whispered.

Before I talked, I waited for a few people to pass by, “I’m here to steal you.”

“What?” She asked as if to say I’m stupid.

“Let’s go to the back door and talk where there are few people.”

And so we did. We left the restaurant and walked. We got to the seaside that was a bit far from where we came from and sat there.

“What are you doing here? Where’s Himchan?” She’s confused.

“Ji Eun, do you love me?” I asked in a serious tone.

“Of course I do.”

“Then come with me!”

“And where would we go?”

“You said you have always wanted to meet someone and fall in love with that person right? And how you hoped that he would take you out of the situation you are in and free you? Here I am Ji Eun! You’re not being selfish; you just wanted to be happy. Life has granted you that wish.” I said almost shouting to the roar of the waves.

Her eyes began to tear, “You’re right… You’re right. Take me with you.”

I smiled, and at that, we decided to leave. Himchan actually helped us find a place to stay at the countryside. He also visited us sometimes and brought news to us about what’s happening back where we came from.

I’m happy where Ji Eun and I got now, but I still feel bad for Himchan. I realized that Ji Eun and I weren’t the only ones loving in secret, but Himchan too, who never told of his feelings towards Ji Eun.