Apartment 1313

Apartment 1313
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Okay Kazu, what do you want to do today?" Gackt asked, with a smile, as he sat down beside his son at the table.

Jaejoong had just left for work and as it was raining outside, Gackt unfortunately couldn't take Kazuki outside. He wasn't too happy about being stuck in the apartment, for he once again felt as though he was being watched. But with rain pouring and Jaejoong having had to take their car to work, he really didn't have much of a choice but to stay in.

"Pictures!" Kazuki smiled, hugging his mother.

"You want to draw?"

Kazuki nodded and Gackt kissed his son's forehead before getting some drawing paper, pencils and crayons.

Mother and son spent over an hour drawing together, before Gackt went to the kitchen to prepare a snack for his son.

"Do you want a pear or an orange?" He called from the kitchen, examining the contents of the fruit and vegetable crisper.

"Pear please, Mommy!"

Gackt sliced the fruit for his son, before bringing it out on a plate.

"Kazu? What are you doing?" Gackt asked, when he brought out the pear, to find Kazuki with his ear pressed against the wall, as though he was listening to something on the other side of the wall.

"Mommy, there's voices in the wall," Kazuki told his mother.

"Voices?" Gackt frowned. "I don't hear anything."

"You have to listen in the wall, Mommy," Kazuki insisted.

"...Kazu, the walls are sound proof," Gackt said. "Come on, I brought you a snack," he motioned to the sliced fruit, trying to get his son away from the wall.

"But Mommy, there's voices..." the little boy persisted.

"I'm sure there's no voices," Gackt said, matter-of-factly, before moving to the wall himself, to settle the matter once and for all.

Side by side with his son, he pressed his ear against the wall and listened.

"See, Kazu? There's no..."

Gackt's pretty eyes widened in shock, for sure enough, he heard voices.

"See, Mommy? Can you hear them?" Kazuki asked, excited that his mother could hear it, too.

Gackt nodded, frozen in surprise and soon, fear.

It certainly wasn't the neighbors- the walls were sound proof after all- and the voices sounded more like whispers of words he couldn't quite make out.

Chilling, distorted whispers that sounded so close...

"Kazuki, come eat your pear," Gackt said, taking his son's hand and pulling him away from the wall. "And promise Mommy that you won't listen to the voices anymore, okay?"

"Okay," Kazuki promised, a little confused. "But why, Mommy?"

"...I just don't want you to listen to them," Gackt pressed, trying not to let on that the voices were certainly not a good thing.

Kazuki just nodded, starting on his pear.

"Mommy, what's that sound?" he asked after awhile.

"What sound, baby?" Gackt asked, feeling more and more uncomfortable.

The dark clouds in the sky, pouring rain outside, was not helping matters, at all, nor was the omnipresent prickling feeling of malevolent eyes fixed on their every movement. 

"Outside," Kazuki said, swinging his feet as he chewed on a slice of pear.

Gackt stilled, straining his ears and for the second time that afternoon, he heard a strange noise, this time the sound of heavy dragging out in the hallway.

He frowned, for the noise grew louder and louder, until it seemed to be right in front of their door, then it faded down the hall.

Gackt let out a breath that he didn't even know he was holding, then his breath hitched again, as the sound moved down the hallway and passed the door again.

"Mommy's going to go check. Stay right here, okay, Kazu?" Gackt instructed, feeling his heart race a little.

Taking an inaudible deep breath, Gackt opened the door slowly, just enough to be able to see a sliver of the hallway. The moment that he opened the door however, the noise stopped, as though it had never been there in the first place. The hallway was empty, as well and just as when Jaejoong had gone to investigate the knock at the door, there was absolutely nothing or no one who could have caused the noise.

Gackt closed the door, making sure it was locked. He tried to dismiss the incident, putting on a brave face for the sake of his child, but he was scared and when Kazuki watched television while he cooked supper, Gackt phoned Jaejoong.

"Just...be careful when you come home," Gackt s

Please log in to read the full chapter