Early Birthday Pt. 1

Unaware Of Fate

Today was the day. The day the courage truly paid off. I checked my schedules and she checked hers. This is our day off. The time where we could make memories even for a little while. The presents are all packed carefully in the trunk of the car. I really do hope she likes them even if it's not that big and special.

I didn't get to sleep the slightest bit to be honest. I've been wandering around here and there to look for presents to give to her. It took me six hours to decide what kind of presents I would go with. A matching teddy bear and jewelry I bought from the morning market in Dongdaemun. Despite for not sleeping that well, I could at least make it less obvious that I look like a total wreck. Better start washing up fast. It's already 08:45.

Shinhye lives a bit far from our dormitory so driving to her place would take some time too. I had finished washing up and it was just 9 o'clock. I just needed to put my shoes on and I would be able to leave. I kept running back and forth the bathroom checking if my outfit was the right one for this occasion - something simple but could be worn during a tour around town. With my black jeans and black boots, along with my white shirt and the dark blue leather jacket, this should do, right? Maybe a scarf too since it's a bit cold. I quickly grabbed the blue checkered scarf to complete the outfit. As I looked at the mirror, carefully scanning myself from head to toe, I had unknowlingly smirked. I'm not even interested in fashion that much as to Hongki for example. I realized the things I would do for Shinhye. What kind of things I would be able to do for her is indescribable. This is nothing though. But if I do set my mind to it, I get it done, and I want to be able to do that for Shinhye too. I want to be able to give her that feeling of safety, so she can rely and depend on me.

I had a brief look at my wristwatch. It was 09:15. Already?!?! Ah I'm going to be late. I just hope the traffic wouldn't be that bad this morning. Clothes all on? Gifts all packed? Sent a message to Han Sung Ho CEO-nim for an extra day off? It looks like I'm all set then. Ah that's right. Some cologne would do. I don't want to stink around Shinhye.

Being lazy enough to take the elevator downstairs to the parking lot, I used the stairs. It's not that far way down, and I could use a little warm up to refresh my mind so I wouldn't get too nervous and stressed. Each step I took towards the car was just making me more nervous. I could hear my heart beating fast. Is it from all the running? Or the fact that I'm getting some alone time with Shinhye? It's both. 
I fastened my seat belt, checked everything I had and quickly drived out of the parking lot and onto the main road. This is it.

 

*

 

Thank god there was no traffic on the way. I'm exactly on time. 5 minutes earlier than expected. Everything seemed to go smoothly now, seeing how I survived the traffic and there are many available parking spots. I quickly parked the car and made sure I showed no hint of there being presents for her. Is this a hotel or an apartment? I thought she lived inside the company, but I guess she just lives close to the company. The apartment complex seemed huge since it seemed more like a hotel than an actual apartment. The lobby was decorated well with antiques and modern furniture, just simple interior that suited well for the lobby. I walked carefully to ask the receptionists about which floor Shinhye lived in. Shinhye did give me her address, but she must have forgotten to give me the floor number and room she lived in. The receptionists suddenly started to giggle with feminine giggles as they saw me. They must have recognised me. Out of the three of them who were standing behind the desk, one of them did not hesitate to ask, "You're CNBLUE's Jung Yong Hwa aren't you?". I got taken aback. She did really know who I was, and so did the others seeing them all smile with excitement. They all asked for my autograph and I politely gave them my autograph.

"I'm sorry, but could I know where Park Shin Hye lives? She lives here right? Which floor and what number?"

"Yes, she lives here. Are you visiting her for personal reasons? Have you made an appointment with her?"

"Yes. And yes, I have made an appointment with her."

Before the other receptionist could reply, the one who stood beside her abruptly asked, "Are you guys going out.. as in boyfriend and girlfriend?"

"Ya! Why are you saying that?" said the receptionist who I was talking to.

I tried to hold in my laughter. Instead of wanting to brag about what we were going to do, I carefully explained them what the situation was.

"It's not that. We have some schedules to discuss about. I heard rumors about us working together for another drama."

"Wah really? Let me call Park Shin Hye to inform her that you have arrived."

She dialed Shinhye and she picked up after the first ring.

"Park Shin Hye-ssi, there's someone who wants to meet you. It's CNBLUE's Jung Yong Hwa. What do you want me to do?"

"Ah Yonghwa! Could you put him on the phone right now?"

She gave me the phone and with an excited heart, I accepted the phone and started talking to her, "Yes, Shinhye, it's me. Which floor are you on?"

"I'm on the 22nd floor and the room on the far right after you come out from the elevator. But don't sweat on making it in time up here, I'll come down right now. I was just about to call you since I'm all ready."

"Ok then, I'll wait for your down here in the lobby."

"Thank you," I said to the receptionists as I gave the telephone back. Once I headed towards the sofa in the lobby, one of the receptionists shouted, "Have a good day! To the both of you!" I turned around, gave her a big smile and waved back at them all. I hope they wouldn't say anything to the media about this happening. It's almost close to confidential information. Didn't I also give them a hint that we may be appearing in a drama together, too?

After waiting for a couple of minutes, Shinhye came out from the elevator looking as stunning as ever. Winter is still not over and she chose the perfect outfit to keep her warm. Her hair grew longer since the last time I saw her. Her nice and straight hair hung perfectly over the beige tube scarf she had around her neck. She wore a long black trench coat that was left ed and matching black skinny jeans with her brown boots. I guess today's concept is dark coloured outfits? We seemed to look perfect beside each other as I saw the reflectation from the entrance door.

"Oh? You're here already? Are you ready to go? You sure you aren't cold?"

"Don't worry, this trench coat is warm enough to keep me warm. It's not like I'm going around either so don't worry."

I led her to the car and opened the car door for her to enter. She smiled, tucked her head to the same level as the car and sat down comfortably. As soon as I sat down I heard something unfamiliar as if something was stuck. It turned out to be Shinhye trying to figure out why the seatbelt wouldn't work properly. Without even thinking of anything else but the seatbelt, I sat on my seat and reached my hand out so that I could reach the seatbelt. After a couple of seconds later, I realized what I was doing. I'm this close with Shinhye. What should I do? Keep calm! Shinhye smiled and asked, "Can you reach it?"

"Yeah no problem," as I said with a quiet shaking voice. After a few attempts, the seatbelt finally worked. "Thank you," she said with a smile.

I also managed to put my seatbelt on and it was finally the time to leave. 

"By the way, where are heading?"

"That's a secret. You'll see when we arrive."

"You're making me expect something big. Wah~ You know how to play with people's feelings."

"I'm not an easy guy," as I laughed.

Laughter filled the car and the mood was perfect.

 

*

 

A couple of minutes into driving, Shinhye dozed off. I guess she didn't get to sleep that much last night. I've seen her sleeping poses before, but it has never been this beautiful. Would she be surprised if she were to see how we're at the countryside? Suddenly I saw her shadows starting to move. She was awake. Opening those beautiful eyes carefully as if it was the first time she saw the sunlight. After a bit over an hour car ride from Seoul, we arrived.

"Where are we?"

"Pretty close to Sokcho. Well, we're in Sokcho. Look outside the window."

We drove right past the sea that was flowing perfectly. The sound of the waves crashing into rocks could be heard. The sea to our left and the mountains that started to show itself could easily be seen. Thank god today's weather isn't that extremely cold. Not a single snow could be found around Sokcho. It just felt like Sokcho had taken in Autumn for a longer time.

"Shinhye-ah, do you want to stop here at the beach for a bit? We could take pictures if you want. Or just simply enjoy the killer view."

"Really? Let's go~ This is the first time I'm with a guy at the beach during winter. It does feel relaxing."

"See. Just rely on me," as I slyly smiled, trying to hide my face. It was quiet. Both of us peacefully enjoyed the beautiful view of Sokcho's beach.

The sky matched the colour of the sea. The waves kept coming in, crashing against huge rocks in their way. Shinhye's straight hair was blown by the wind, and surprisingly, her hair waved in all the possible directions, but it never looked weird. I couldn't fully look to the side of me, she'd notice for sure. 

I scratched my back with my left hand, giving the only way I could take a look at her before she noticed. Seeing her from this side, she's also beautiful.

Shinhye suddenly said, "Do you need something?"

Crap. She noticed. "No nothing, my shoulder was just itching."

"Is that so?" she asked me with a careful smile.

"Y-y-yes..." I stuttered.

"Let's go~ You must be cold, here, my jacket."

"You're unexpectedly treating me nicely and taking the lead today, huh? Well I have to admit I felt like I was the one dragging you around. Sorry."

"Why are you apologizing? There's nothing to apologize for. I've just been shy to not have been able to pay you back."

"Shy? Of what?"

"Well, there's something. But anyways, shouldn't we go to our main destination before the sun sets?"

"Tell me why you were so shy first! I won't leave this place until you do."

After she quickly finished her sentence, I held her hand and felt the warmth of her hand. Without knowing it, we were holding hands and none of us seemed to let go. I held her hand just to drag her into the car, but who knows what she's thinking about right now. I'm just looking forward. Who knows what kind of expressions she's making right now. Today's the day I lead her. No-one else but me.

 

*

 

The car ride from the beach to the Seoraksan National Park was quiet. Why did I held her hand in the first place?! I don't even know anymore. How am I supposed to face her when we get out of the car? It took us just a couple of minutes until we arrived at the national park. Mountains covered with snow could be seen. I guess the snow hasn't fully melted here. The one thing I liked the most here, was that the air here was even fresher. There weren't that many people around since it was still winter. However, there were a couple of people who actually were hiking and resting at the national park. I bet it'd look even nicer here in the summer. Could I really come here again soon? With her?

"Ah! We're here!"

"... Are you mad at me?"

"Me? Why would I be mad at you?"

"Just.. the..."

"If you're talking about me being dragged by you, no, not at all. I guess it was necessary since I was a bit too childish."

I guess she doesn't have the same feeling. I'm the only one with my heart beating fast and sweating palms. It doesn't matter anyways. I'm alone with Shinhye and that's already enough for me. Even though the view looks gorgeous observed from all kind of places, there's one thing we didn't prepare - hiking clothes. I think it's better if we didn't bring it anyways. We can't go hiking towards the peak of Mount Gwongeumsong. She might get tired. It's best if we stay away from hiking and stay below on ground. Safe from all the possibilities of there being an accident.

  

We walked on the bridge observing the views from both of our sides. We were the only ones crossing. Shinhye started skipping out of happiness. The back view of her skipping seemed like it was from a little kid waiting to go on to the fun fair or any other amusement park ride.

"Let's go on that cable car ~!"

Close enough.

"You're not afraid of heights are you?"

She stopped and turned back, facing me. She straightened herself and cleared , "Me? Afraid of heights? Hmph. Why would I be?"

"Alright! Let's go!"

We stepped into the cable car and there were only ten people, including us. It was awkward being in the cable car with others, because even though it was just for a while, there weren't that many people, and I was already getting used to there being not many people. But I guess ten people doesn't count as a lot. It was awkward because it was quiet, that's it.

I stood right beside Shinhye. I noticed how I was a few centimetres taller than her. Tall enough so that her head could fit right below mine. I took a slight step back and stood right behind her. She gazed through the window of the cable car and enjoyed the view. Not a word came out from her. 

Out of the blue, an old man suddenly asked me, "Why are you standing behind her as if you're going to do something to her?"

Everyone else in the cable car started to stare at me with a weird expression.

"Ah, it's not that..."

"Then what?"

"Aren't you her boyfriend? Why aren't you hugging and holding her hands? She looks like she's scared but trying to hide it."

"We're no -"

Suddenly Shinhye grabbed both of my arms and hung it around her shoulders. What does she think she's doing?! She dragged me closer so I could wrap my arms around her tightly, leaving my head no choice to rest on top of her head.

"See, that's how you're supposed to do it. You're supposed to take care of her, not the other way around. Who's the one scared here? Ah youngsters these days. Seeing them like that reminds me about when we were younger. Isn't that right, yeobo? You were also afraid of heights in the beginning."

The old man came with his own wife to ride the cable car. It looked as if they were both married for a long time. Both of us looked at the elderly couple and smiled. Shinhye still didn't let go of my arms. She was still staring at the view, and she suddenly asked,

"I have a feeling that this is my early birthday present. Why did you never tell me?"

"How did you guess that fast? But yes.. I was meaning to tell you. It's just that I keep on missing the right timing. Besides I wanted to surprise you. And say... you're actually scared?"

"I usually easily catch up on these kind of things. Besides, you wouldn't take me out for nothing. But you sure did make me surprised. Yes, truthfully I'm a bit scared."

"Then what was all that bluff all about when we walked on the bridge?" I simply asked trying to avoid more of the conversation of the birthday surprise.

She let go of my arms and turned around, leaving just a small space in between us. Since she was a bit shorter she looked up at me with those big beautiful eyes and said, "Don't even remind me of that."

"Since you reminded me, your punishment is to let me stay a night in this beautiful city."

"I can't. I have to go back. My CEO is already mad at me for taking another day off. Truthfully, I never even got to check his reply, but I bet he's mad."

"I guess we can't do anything about -"

"No. We could stay for a night."

It wouldn't hurt to follow what she wants right? Even though I'm the one leading her for today, she could make some decisions herself too. Thankfully she became satisfied after hearing my reply. This time she was the one holding my hand and dragging me out. Since we weren't going to hike towards Mount Gwongeumseong, we were already at our final destination. The end of the cable car ride, right before the peak of Mount Gwongeumseong.

Holding each other's hands, hugging each other, teasing each other - it did really feel like we were a couple. 
Just how am I going to be able to take care of her for a night?

 


 

A/N: The birthday is divided into two chapters because it'll become very long if it's in one *-* ~ I get carried away sometimes that I write unnecessary things too. But well, this birthday is going to last 2 days and 1 night. Yes, they're going to spend the night together. Part 2 of the birthday chapter won't be coming until 2 more weeks since I'll be away for those 2 weeks from today. But this should fill in for 2 weeks right? xD I'll probably be writing the draft(s) during the time I'm off.

Note how I sometimes do research on destinations and some of them are from my imagination. I'm also not that precise when it comes to how their hairstyles/accurate height are in this and that time of date/year. I haven't been to the Seorak National Park myself, but these are all from research. Pictures are from THIS and THIS site, so I do not own anything there. I thought I needed to put in some pictures to truly show what kind of image I wanted to portray since I'm not that good at describing settings *though I'm working on it now*. And sometimes people could get lazy enough to search the places on google and so on. x'D The pictures are taken from different years, and I couldn't find one close enough to February 2011. So I'm sorry if those pictures I used above are uneven for the situation ;o;  

However, the next chapter would focus on how they'll spend the afternoon/night roaming around the town and their stay at the hotel. Also the morning there and so on~ I hope you liked this chapter, nevertheless! Thank you for reading it. ^^ Have a nice day/night!