> 1

Guardians of Myraphia

- Chapter 1 - The Jeans Dilemma -

 

 

You beamed and smiled at everyone as you walked through the hallways at your school. It was the last day before summer holidays and the whole place was even more alive than usual.

You weren’t a queenka or anything; you absolutely hated anything like that. Most of the girls liked your loud outgoing personality and the carefree vibe that you showed off. You also paid less attention to guys so that was a bonus to the girls pining for boys in your school. They were assured that you would steer clear of their crushes and whatnot.

The smile on your face faltered as you heard screechy yelling outside in the grass area. Excusing yourself from some random girls you were chatting with, you hurried out to see what was going on.

Your face fell in horror as you saw a whole gang of the school’s ‘Barbies’ surrounding your very best friend, Minjee. You two had known each other since you were literally babies because your mothers had been best friends too. She understood you the most and even gave you strange motherly advice. The rude girls were spitting out hurtful comments and harsh insults as usual.

Snapping back to reality, you stomped over and placed a hand on the shoulder of the leader. She whirled around ready to attack with her sharp tongue but stopped abruptly when you raised an eyebrow at her.

She gasped, “H-Haera! It’s nice to see you!” She nervously laughed as she glanced back and forth between you and a crying Minjee. She looked up at your tall figure and cringed a tiny bit.

“Junghee” You nodded in greeting, “What are you doing on this fine day?”

“N-nothing much. Just hanging around…”

“Yeah sure.” You scoffed a little and got straight to it, “If I see you bothering Minjee again, your stupid reputation will be down the toilet. I’ve had enough, it’s the last day. Control yourself.”

Junghee meekly nodded before shoving your hand away and running back to her little minions who stood like statues watching the scene. They began comforting her and whispering things like "Haera doesn’t need friends like that Minjee girl." Or "Why would she be friends with Minjee out of all people?"

You shot them glares as they scurried away, probably planning ways to try and make you befriend them. You inwardly scowled, like that was ever going to happen. The only reason why they wouldn’t go against you was because if they did, almost everyone in your whole grade would have your back. Besides, she’s the one wanting to be your friend.

Quickly running over to Minjee, who was sniffling again, you gave her a hug and told her it was okay.

“They’re the ones that need a reality check okay? I prefer you over them any day. If they dare bother you again, just tell me and I’ll kick their asses!” You made an unusual punching motion with your hand.

Minjee looked up with a slight giggle, “Thank you Haera. You’re the bestest friend ever.”

“I know, I know.” You flipped your bangs, “I’m just that amazing.” You did an exaggerated diva pose. The both of you blinked before bursting into wild laughter. Slinging your arms together, the two of you walked back into the classrooms for the last lesson of the day.

 




The joyous melody of the bell echoed throughout the school as happy squeals and ‘woots’ were heard. Crowds of students flooded through the gates, happy to have finally escaped. Among the crowd and bubbly chatter, you and Minjee were also determined to finally be free of the zoo called school.

“You ready for the concert this Sunday?” Minjee asked you in her soft voice as the two of you walked along the footpath.

You nodded, “Yeah totally, I’ve got the tickets and everything.” You grew excited at the thought of seeing your ultimate rock band live.

Minjee smiled in approval, “You remember our matching outfits? The graffiti shirt and ripped jeans?” It took forever for you to convince her to wear that kind of apparel, she was completely against the idea at first.

“Yes, I’ve got my shirt and my—zuki!” You slapped a hand against your forehead. “I forgot that my jeans are kind of too small right now.” You frowned at the late reminder.

However, Minjee remained calm and serene as usual. “Just go buy one on Saturday, there’ll be plenty.”

“Come with me? Pleeaase?” You clasped your hands together as you pleaded with big eyes.

Her face feigned shock, “But I need to study! Dad’s having this tutor coming over during vacation.”

You sighed; you knew it was a hard task to convince her to go anywhere fun with you. You were amazed she actually agreed to go to a rock concert.

But that didn’t mean you were going to give up, “Just for an hour or two! It’ll be quick I promise. I’ll even study with you after!”

The things you do for your best friend.

Minjee thought about it for a moment, “Okay fine, an hour alright?” She finally agreed after slight hesitation.

“YES! I LOVE YOU!” You shouted loudly, not caring that you were getting weird stares. Minjee laughed and gently shoved you, “Quiet down, people are looking at us.”

But you were too excited to care. Usually you didn’t think too much of shopping trips, but for some reason you could feel this one was going to be quite special indeed.