The day our son got in the way

The day our son got in the way

Siwon enters his house as quietly as he can. It is an hour after dawn, the whole neighbourhood is still asleep. He had been working away from home for the past 4 days and is now filled with an intense need to see his family.

Treading softly, he made his way through the living area and up the stairs to the bedrooms. Previous experiences (and he has a lot of that unfortunately) told him that his son will not be sleeping in his own room so he went past the little boy’s bedroom and head straight for their bedroom at the end of the corridor.

The unlocked door yields open noiselessly under his prodding and he tip-toed in. The waning moonlight provided enough illumination for him to see the two figures lying in bed soundly asleep. Soft snores reached his ears as he moves closer. A smile gradually blooms on his face as he watches over his partner and their son sleeping deeply in each other’s arms. So engrossed was he in watching them that he did not notice that time is slipping by till the sleeping figures stir and separate without waking. Siwon hurried to his son’s side and scoop the boy up in his arms before rushing out of the house to his car.

“Hyukkie? Hyukkie?” Siwon calls the sleeping boy softly. His 4 year old son is strapped to the car seat next to him, his little head lolling gently to the side and drooling. “Hyukkie baby? Wake up?”

“Nnng….” Little Hyukjae finally revive under his father’s persistent shaking. “Appa?”

“Good morning, son.” Siwon smiles as he concentrates on his driving.

“Good morning, Appa.” Hyukjae replies while yawning and rubbing sleep from his eyes with his tiny fists. “Oh, where are we going, Appa?” He looked around with curious surprise when he realised that he is in the car.

“Appa is thinking of giving your Kyuppa a surprise breakfast and I need Hyukkie’s help.” Siwon relates excitedly and his son smiled, clearly affected by his enthusiasm. “Will you help me?”

“Yes, Appa!” Hyukjae replied giggling and bouncing about in his seat.

 “All right! Let’s go get the things we need from the store.” Siwon laughs; both father and son are practically bouncing in their seats with excitement now.

A quick run to the small supermarket around the corner and speeding back home again, Hyukjae did not even remembered to ask for candy like he always did during shopping trips to the store.

Trying to keep a really excited 4 year old quiet proved to be a real feat.

“Appa! Appa! What are you doing?” Hyukjae bounces around at his father’s feet tripping him up as Siwon tries to gather all the utensils he needs. Reaching the end of his tether, the father abandons his tasks for a moment, grabs his hyperactive son and plunks him onto on of the high chair next to the kitchen counter.

“Hyukkie needs to sit quietly while Appa use the stove, ok?” Siwon speaks solemnly to his son who quiets down immediately.

“Yes, Appa.” Hyukjae replies solemnly too and his father puts his endearing smiley face back on again.

“Appa?”

“Yes, son?”

“Can I have some ice cream?”

Siwon stares unblinkingly at the little man before him beaming at him with a face of angelic innocence. This father can be doting to the point of spoiling the kid, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t know he is being slyly manipulated. Yet, he readily allows himself to be led by the nose, thanks to all that the training from Kyuhyun, he suspects.

Naturally Hyukjae got his ice cream while the voice at the back of his head warned him that he is in heaps of trouble with Hyukjae’s ‘umma’ for indulging his son.

@

Kyuhyun stirs slightly turning onto his back, his arm reaches out instinctively to feel about the other side of his bed. Finding emptiness, his eyes snapped open anxiously.

Hyukkie?

“Hyukkie! Hyukkie?” Kyuhyun looks over the other edge of the bed in case his son had rolled off the bed again. But the floor is empty.

“Hyukkie? Baby? Where are you?” Kyuhyun calls out louder as he scrambles off the bed and hurries out of the door. He checks the boy’s room and finds it empty too. Steadily panicking, he dashes down the stairs.

The first thing he checks is the front door. Hyukjae has never wonder out of the house by himself but there is always a first for everything. Breathing a little easy to find the door closed and the locks intact, he wonders around the house looking for the little toddler.

“Uh oh, I think Kyuppa is awake.” Siwon mumbles to his son as they rush to hide in the bathroom.

“Why are we hiding, Appa?” Hyukjae asks curiously as they peer out of the tiny slit afforded by the slightly ajar door.

“It’s a surprise for your Kyuppa.” Siwon silences his inquisitive son as they watch Kyuhyun run into the kitchen shouting for Hyukjae.

Then silence.

Presumably he found the spread on the kitchen counter. Siwon and Hyukjae tiptoed out of the bathroom and peek into the kitchen. Kyuhyun is standing with his back to them. Leaving Hyukjae’s side, Siwon tiptoed closer and hug his spouse from the back.

“Hey babe.” He mutters into the smaller man’s hair. As Kyuhyun’s head yield, Siwon is quick to attach himself to the soft expanse of graceful neck that suddenly became available.

“Mmmm…” Kyuhyun hummed pleasantly as Siwon nuzzles the sensitive area under his ear. Then suddenly he tensed and pulls away harshly. “Oh no! Hyukkie!”

“Kyuppa ~” Hyukkie’s tiny voice replied from behind. Kyuhyun turned and Siwon followed since he has not let go of his grasp around Kyuhyun.

“Hyukkie!” A smile of immense relief broke on Kyuhyun’s face. “Where did you go, baby?”

“Appa took me to the store!” The little boy said with a grin. Kyuhyun looked questionably at the man behind him.

“I wanted to surprise you with breakfast in bed. But you woke up too early.” Siwon sticks his lower lip out in sad pout. Kyuhyun raised a hand to the man’s cheek, feeling his 4 days old stubble pricking his palm. He smiled and Siwon smiled back.

“Let’s have breakfast?” Kyuhyun asks rather shyly. After so many years together, his ability to feel shy when the situation calls for is one of the things that Siwon holds dear.

“Yaaaay!” Hyukjae exclaimed excitedly as he ran to the counter.

“Up you go, little buddy!” Siwon said laughing as he scoops his son up and sets him down on one of the high chair.  Kyuhyun sits himself down next to his son and they wait for Siwon to join them.

“Pancakes!” Hyukjae exclaimed happily catching sight of his favourite food. His appa even drew smiley faces on the pancakes with strawberry jam.

Perhaps Siwon is looking forward to a nice quiet breakfast like what he and Kyuhyun used to enjoy before their son came along. But watching Kyuhyun trying to feed the hyperactive boy is just as entertaining. Hyukjae is by all means a messy eater while his umma is obsessed with good table manners. And Siwon knows better than to interfere with Kyuhyun when he is trying to educate their son. So he could only watch in amusement as he sips his morning coffee with a smile.

At last the little man looks like he’s on track with eating his pancakes as tidily as he could manage. Kyuhyun turned to his husband next and found the man looking really drowsy. “You should go to bed soon.”

“Naw, I’ve not been home for four days, I miss you so much.” Siwon smiled dreamily. “I want to hear about everything that happened.”

Kyuhyun smiled. “Nothing happened.”

“Can’t be!” Siwon looked aghast.

“Can be.” Kyuhyun replied calmly drinking his juice. No way I am contributing to his excitement now if I want him to rest well.

“Awww, come on baby! Tell me anything! I miss you both and you have nothing to tell me?” Siwon whined despite the disapproving look his spouse is giving him. Kyuhyun took a quick glance at his son and the blessed boy is still eating his breakfast obliviously.

“Ok, fine…..” Kyuhyun mumbled.

“What was that? I can’t hear you.” Siwon asks. Kyuhyun glared. From the look of the smug grin on the man’s face he is pretty sure he heard him loud and clear.

“You heard me.”

“Nope.” Siwon denied, smirking shamelessly. Kyuhyun roll his eyes sullenly. “Tell me! Tell me! Tell me!”

Kyuhyun took another look at his son who is totally unaware of his flirting parents. He heaved a deep sigh. “Fine. I said…..I missed my extra large sized cheeseball.”

Siwon jumped up from his seat cheering and hooting as he paced the kitchen holding his hands up like a winning wrestler. Kyuhyun lowered his head to nurse his burning cheeks. Hyukjae stares curiously at both his parents in turn, his half eaten pancakes forgotten.

Whilst Siwon worked at calming himself down, Kyuhyun began feeding Hyukjae again to avoid showing off his deeply flushed cheeks. Just as Siwon is coming back to his seat and Kyuhyun is sure his embarrassment has somehow faded, Hyukjae said, “Kyuppa, you face is as red as a strawberry!”

Siwon snickers knowingly as Kyuhyun dashed off to the bathroom without another word. “Would you like another glass of milk, buddy?” Siwon asks his confused son.

“You okay, babe?” Siwon asks when Kyuhyun returns to his seat. The seemingly innocent question earned him a glare since he delivered it with meaningful chuckle. Hyukjae is now engrossed with his fruit salad. Siwon chanced putting his hand over Kyuhyun’s and giving the lovely soft fingers a squeeze.

Kyuhyun looked up and flash him a soft smile. “I want ~ baby…” Siwon whispers. “It’s four long days….I miss you.”

I miss the softness of your body. That’s what Siwon really want to say but a look at his son told him to keep that thought to himself.

Kyuhyun did not reply but the look of need nestling within his brown orbs told Siwon the feeling is mutual. As soon as Hyukjae can be distracted long enough…..the possibility of getting what both of them want is looking promising when the little boy yawned sleepily.

Siwon drank more coffee to fortify himself, he can feel exhaustion overcoming him but he really rather do ‘something else’ apart from sleep. Kyuhyun started asking him about work and they began indulging in mindless chitchat while keeping an eye on their son whose face is hovering dangerously close to his unfinished stack of pancakes.

“Kyuppa ~” At last the tiny whine came. Siwon grinned widely with so much joy he could hardly contain himself.  Kyuhyun left his seat to pick the toddler up and cradle him in his arms.

“I’ll bring him to bed.” Kyuhyun has a grin of his own. His body is aching for immediate attention too.

“I’ll wait for you in our room.” Siwon’s brows danced excitedly as he scrambles off his seat.

“Be right there, Wonnie.” Kyuhyun replied in the huskiest of voice. Siwon moaned before he could stop himself as a part of his body clenched involuntarily. He whimpered as Kyuhyun smirked before walking away with the sleeping boy in his arms.

How he envy his son at this moment!

Eagerly Siwon ran off to their bedroom.

Kyuhyun straightened up after tucking in the corners of the bedcovers tightly around his son’s tiny body. Heaving a soft sigh he bend lower to kiss Hyukjae’s soft baby cheek before leaving the room as quietly as he can.

Only the door closed behind him, Kyuhyun broke into a brisk walk as he hurries back to his room, his heart palpitating hard as he look forward to what is to come.

“Wonnie!” He calls excitedly as he pushed open their bedroom door with a little too much strength than it called for. “Won ~”

Stopping in his tracks, his mouth still forming the last part of his husband’s name. He couldn’t help frowning as he studied the sight before him. Pieces of clothing littered the path to the bed. His eyes followed the trail till they land on the man sleeping soundly on the bed.

“Oh dear ~” Kyuhyun mutters soundlessly as he moved closer to check on Siwon.

Siwon snores softly through the gap between his lips.

Kyuhyun chuckles, suddenly finding the whole situation very funny. Pulling the covers over Siwon’s perfect body, he kissed him gently on the cheek too and left the room, closing the door noiselessly behind him.