Chapter 4

Keep Your Head Up

 

Ch. 4

When he had first promised to pick him up at midnight, Ryeowook had complained about the time. It was too late, he would be tired, everyone would be drunk already and heading home, his first night out would be a failure for sure.

But as always Kyuhyun had just laughed it off. Now it was a quarter to midnight and Ryeowook wasn't tired at all, adrenalin pumping through his blood. He always had this feeling, this wonderful feeling, when waiting for Kyuhyun. Hs mind would wander and his heart would beat faster. He was deeply in love and he knew.

Not that he planned to act on it. For now, he just wanted to enjoy the feeling. Spending as much time as possible with Kyuhyun was of course also a part of his plan.

 There was a knock on the front door and a loud "HAPPY BIRTHDAY RYEOWOOKIE~!", followed by a wide smile as soon as Ryeowook opened the door. His hearted stop for a moment as he realized just how perfect Kyuhyun’s face was.

"I brought over a cake. Let's eat some, then go out."

The box exchanged hands and Ryeowook carefully opened the lid to reveal a layered pink cake decorated with fruits.

"We can't eat this..." he softly scolded his friend, looking at him with an apologetic expression.

"Just one piece, Ryeowook."

"No, we can't. We really can't. I'm already gaining too much weight."

"Well, they shouldn't care so ing much about your weight. Neither should you. Don't be stupid, let's just have one piece."

"Don't be stupid?! Who exactly is the stupid one, when we're told to lose weight and you still eat like nothing happened?!“

Kyuhyun sighed and Ryeowook noticed a flicker of worry in his eyes.

Ryeowook had always been bad at handling conflicts, even worse at holding grudges. He had to give in, if not for the sake of peace, then because Kyuhyun just looked to let-down; “Just one piece then..”

©

They went clubbing in Hongdae, in Kyuhyun’s favorite club, Big Baby.

Kyuhyun had taken Ryeowook’s hand and led him down the dark staircase, into the crowded club. The warm summer had made coats unnecessary and they went straight for the bar, where Kyuhyun ordered a bucket of long ice tea.

It came with plenty of straws, made for sharing between more than two persons, but Ryeowook’s friends wouldn’t show up until later.

When Kyuhyun noticed Ryeowook absentminded at the straw at the same time as him, he took the chance to look carefully at his face-expression. He seemed so gentle, fragile and innocent. Kyuhyun found himself in a better mood, smiling at nothing.

“Come on, let’s dance!” he said, taking Ryeowook’s hand one more time, with a sweeter touch than before.

©

They got sweaty and drunk and closer every second. Lingering eye contact, touches that only alcohol could make them brave enough to dare.

But they were still in a club and even while drunk, they were aware of that.

Though they were both strong drinkers, Kyuhyun eventually has to take Ryeowook home. The poor boy is barely able to stand on his feet, much less able to find his way home.

It’s with a mix of excitement and nervousness that Kyuhyun supports Ryeowook as they walk towards his apartment.

“Ryeowook? Is that you?” the voice is unfamiliar to Kyuhyun, who eyes the young man suspiciously.

“Who are you?” he says, not letting go of Ryeowook, who is halfway-passed out next to him.

“I’m Kim Kibum. I’m a friend of Ryeowook.”

Kyuhyun knew. Kyuhyun knew this name. It took a few seconds for him to remember, but then it came to him, cutting at his heart.

“I’ve heard of you.” You dream-shattering bastard, you should know what Ryeowook has accomplished, he is-

“KIIIIiiiiibuuuumie~~” both faces turned towards the drunken boy who now had a wide smile on his face. “I missed you KIIIIIIIbuuuum~!”

The level of excitement made Kyuhyun sick to his stomach.

“I know, I missed you too.” Kibum smiled back at him. “It’s your birthday today, right? Let me walk home, I’ll get you safe to bed, like old days.”

“No, it’s okay, I’ll -” but Kyuhyun was quickly interrupted by Ryeowook.

“It’ll be fun! Thank you~”

©

Kyuhyun stared after them for a long time before realizing that he was jealous.

The realization sent him straight back at the club he just came from, trying to drown his sorrows.

 

 

a/n: this is a weeee shorter than usual. because I couldn't wait to get started on next chapter which OMG WILL HAVE ZHOUMI IN IIIIT!!! GUYS!!! ZHOUMIII!!!